• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
No. But I always use 3-4 save slots to avoid losing everything in case it happens.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
My foot tapped the power cord to my ps2 during a save while playing Disgaea on PS2. It was an old 1950s house so it came right out.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Well solid state or nand storage works differently compared to HDDs naturally. I mean power cutting off during a data transfer in a HDD usually can result in one or two things, because the actuator arm simply stops which causes a corrupted sector or the arm just drags across the entire platter causing irreparable damage resulting a full on crash, the former is recoverable by rewriting data over the corruption (be it formatting the drive for new data to be written), the latter the drive is more or less dead.

SSD's basically balance their writes by dividing data entirely on their storage cells. So if a bad chunk of data comes along or transfer gets cut off due do a power loss it's not nearly as catastrophic, at worse you'll lose the most recent save and some sort of error correction / data recovery process would occur.

I don't know if the 360 had some sort of system recovery process due to a power loss which impacted the 4GB units. There is a code you can enter to restore system software in event of failed update though, so perhaps similar process would be required if data was damaged due to the power cutting out during a save.

Oh I had no idea about the restore thing. That's cool.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about right. I had the same thing happen to me. Except well instead of my system being turned off from the plug. I had full on power outage which when I was transfering stuff from external to internal the power cut out entirely and contents of both drives both internal and external were completely wiped due to bad sectors / corruption.

I had to download the full 1GB system software to a flash drive and reinstall the PS4 firmware / OS because everything on the internal drive was gone.

It's bad enough at the time I didn't consider backing up my saves to a flash drive (Not that I could do so from the Cloud because I didn't have PS+ at the time) so I had basically nothing from recovery, losing basically a multiple hundred hour plus saves from Disgaea 5, FF7R, and DQXI, Yakuza 0 through Kiwami 2, Persona 5 Royal, Trails of Cold Steel 1, 2, and 3, and Ghost of Tsushima.

OOOOF

Oct 26, 2017
this thread reminded me of that time my laptop ssd partition started getting corrupted while I was working. it was a slow process of files disappearing. looked at my app folder empty itself in real time. some real ass 90s "we hacked the firewall" shit lmao

never lost a save to a hasty shut off. plenty of corrupted memory cards though. last one was when I dug out my vita to play some PS Classic. that 64Go memory card wasn't the best investment, it turns out.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've done this, but given how many times I've lost Persona 4 saves -- my time with Persona 4 is cursed, long story -- I'm sure it's had to have happened at some point.

Sometimes, you move faster than you think.

Shamanoski

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 17, 2021
Never happened to me before. But now that I mentioned it, I'm expecting it to happen any day now.

Jul 1, 2020
I lost my original Pokemon Blue save and all of my items in Phantasy Star Online by having this happen. Needless to say I have since given it a few seconds before quitting the game or turning the system off.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
BioShock locked up on PS3 during that, so I had to switch the console off, and yep, it corrupted the save.
It annoyed me as well because I was juuuust about to head over to the Sander Cohen level, but because of that i had to replay the opening which just isn't fun gameplay wise once you've seen it once.

PotionBleue

Nov 1, 2017
What kind of heathen runs their console without a UPS? Ok, maybe most of us but I had a spare outlet on my PC one so I should never see this horror.

Interestingly, in case of power cut, a docked Nintendo Switch automatically goes into handheld mode as it thinks it was removed from the dock.

It's obvious but when it happens you're like "oh, yeah, that's cool!".

wild_one

Oct 27, 2017
Reading these posts make me fearful for that ever happening. Luckily once I started consolidating everything behind a UPS that wasn't a big issue, I just can't control system crashes for which I've been fortunate not to have happen so far. Outside the time the PS5 crashed and corrupted the external SSD with all the PS4 games on it...

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Omfg this just gave me PTSD. I lost 50 hours of FF13 progress because of a lightning storm.
iqgdezdlyhxry.gif

I'm sorry both for posting the gif as it just felt too related not to share and for this having happened to you :(

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Happened to me when I was doing post game shit in Megaman Battle Network 3. Had to start the game alllllllllll over.

Luckily it was still fresh in my mind so it didn't take as long to get back to that point, but man did the gba battery body me.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
whoa. I've never heard of an entire drive corrupting. I wonder what would happen if it was the memory unit (like in the 4GB model).
Yeah, that'd be interesting to see what would happen to a memory unit.

It's been like... geez, 8 years, but what I remember is that the console made me format the hard drive for it to be "usable" again. I can't remember exactly what the message was, though.

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
While I don't recall it ever happening to me, it's something I would worry about. One of the things I like about my Switch. Power goes out while I'm docked, it just swaps to handheld and wraps up.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Console? No. Mac? Yes. Twice and both times were with Sim/Yoot Tower. Once lightning struck and the whole house lost power. Another time, my asshole uncle flipped the light switch that clearly had a label on it that said "don't touch this!" while saying "what's this do?"

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
The one time that comes to mind was Golden Sun: The Lost Age. For some background, you're allowed to import save data into the game from the first title - however, I had sold my cart to my cousin after I imported my data. I had done an absurd amount of grinding in the first game just as something to do on the bus so I was really looking forward to getting back my old party. I didn't notice my battery was low until it was too late, so I tried to save my game and shut down but the battery cut-out mid way. I was freaking the fuck out for a minute until I realized the game creates auto-backups and it just reloaded that.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 3 once crashed the fuck out of my PS3 while autosaving I think? ...and caused the whole internal hard drive to fail. I didn't just lose my Fallout 3 saves, I lost every save on the console.

I frequently back up saves now, and rotate through save slots in case of the worst.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Pressing the powerbutton on a dreamcast while it says that will wipe that save.

My Phantasy Star Online character can attest to that.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Raidou Kuzunoha 2 (PS2 game I got off PSN for PS3). Power cut, PS3 died. Was around 60-70% of the way through the game. Never went back. Shame since I love Atlus RPGs. Maybe one day. (I also lost my Persona 4 Arena save file as well in the process, which I was near the end of also...ugh)