• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
I'm not sure why people think it's a big difference outside of being able to interfere with the creative process at SNK because they own the whole thing. They're probably profiting/benefitting more from their other videogame investments and they'd buy the whole of them if they could.
yeah of course but i was just saying that this investissement doesn't mean they will buy nintendo, and for a lot of people this is very important
But yeah it's bad, either way since they will make money of it

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo are incredibly protective and as soon as they get a sniff of someone trying to get any control they usually initiate a buyback of their shares. Either Nintendo will view this 5% as insignificant or there will be news of buybacks at some point.

khaled

Oct 27, 2017
Good news 👍🏼 and for the hypocrite people here you will say nothing if the investors from China or India or the biggest terrorist country in the world USA

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I just assumed after looking at this
Screenshot-20220518-021147-Firefox-Nightly.jpg

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Good news 👍🏼 and for the hypocrite people here you will say nothing if the investors from China or India or the biggest terrorist country in the world USA

They'll care about Tencent tbf. But you're right about the leader of the warcrimes industry at least.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Nintendo are incredibly protective and as soon as they get a sniff of someone trying to get any control they usually initiate a buyback of their shares. Either Nintendo will view this 5% as insignificant or there will be news of buybacks at some point.

How much of their own stock do they keep?

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
That you are right with this doesnt make it good, i dont want to fund a journalist killer with my Nintendio game purchase tbh

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Would love to know what's 'good' about this, but your three posts in 5 years tells me I shouldn't be expecting a response.

And no fucking shit, other armed imperialist nations buying stock in this wouldn't be welcomed either. Real hot fucking take right there.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
if that is the case then are so many things that are invested by the PIF that indirectly supports the regime. Uber is one of them.
That is the case, yes. Given Saudi Arabia's human rights record I am very wary of using services that line the pockets of a regime responsible for one of the the biggest humanitarian crises of the 21st century.

I am aware that this shares acquisition isn't an endorsement by Nintendo of these same values. But from a consumer point of view the financial impact of investing in Nintendo products is still the same.

khaled

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Whataboutism
That you are right with this doesnt make it good, i dont want to fund a journalist killer with my Nintendio game purchase tbh

And you are ok to fund the terrorist countries (USA, Canada and Europe ) who killed millions of innocent people in Iraq Afghanistan syria etc

khaled

Oct 27, 2017
Would love to know what's 'good' about this, but your three posts in 5 years tells me I shouldn't be expecting a response.

And no fucking shit, other armed imperialist nations buying stock in this wouldn't be welcomed either. Real hot fucking take right there.

I didn't see people crying with those countries like they did with Saudi Arabia

amara

Nov 23, 2021
That makes no sense. Buybacks would increase PIFs ownership of Nintendo

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
And you are ok to fund the terrorist countries (USA, Canada and Europe ) who killed millions of innocent people in Iraq Afghanistan syria etc
If that's bad, what part of this makes it good news for you, considering Saudi Arabia is doing the same thing in Yemen. It's an extremely weird whataboutism when you just publicly voiced your support for the exact same shit.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Say what you want about MBS, but the guy knows that oil is a ticking time bomb and is acting accordingly. These investments have practical purposes because in a few decades' time it won't really matter how much oil you have.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There is a lot of fear-mongering and misinformation in this thread. While this isn't great news Nintendo is a publicly-traded company. All an entity needs to own a "piece" of Nintendo is money and desire. That doesn't mean they have any say into Nintendo operationally; they don't. And please don't take this post as approval in any way of SA and the way they've handled themselves on the global stage. I condemn them in the strongest possible terms. However, the PiF is massive and has insane buying power. They're also one of the least transparent wealth funds out there so any time we find out who they're investing in this happens. For some perspective they have stakes in Disney, Meta, Boeing, CitiGroup, Bank of America, Berkshire Hathaway, BP, Uber, SoftBank, Capcom, Nexon, EA, Ubisoft, and dozens (if not hundreds) of other companies. They own a football team. They took over SNK. Etc.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
That makes no sense. Buybacks would increase PIFs ownership of Nintendo
No it wouldn't.
There is a lot of fear-mongering and misinformation in this thread. While this isn't great news Nintendo is a publicly-traded company. All an entity needs to own a "piece" of Nintendo is money and desire. That doesn't mean they have any say into Nintendo operationally; they don't. And please don't take this post as approval in any way of SA and the way they've handled themselves on the global stage. I condemn them in the strongest possible terms. However, the PiF is massive and has insane buying power. They're also one of the least transparent wealth funds out there so any time we find out who they're investing in this happens. For some perspective they have stakes in Disney, Meta, Boeing, CitiGroup, Bank of America, Berkshire Hathaway, BP, Uber, SoftBank, Capcom, Nexon, EA, Ubisoft, and dozens (if not hundreds) of other companies. They own a football team. They took over SNK. Etc.
They have stakes in almost every major video game publisher and they'll probably buy shares in the ones they don't before long.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Try imagine Mr Bone Saw getting home after a day of "tough" decisions, sitting there with his family playing Mario Kart.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I didn't see people crying with those countries like they did with Saudi Arabia
There's nothing 'good' about this. Thats the point. We can't say that it is a good thing. I don't think people are saying that its okay for others to do like Saudis are doing criminal stuff. Although 'caring' about stuff thats happening around he world is a thing i have strong opinions on as a 3rd worlder but thats another topic.

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to defending Nintendo I'm as quick as the next Mario fan, however other realms like sports media are heavily discussing the golfing worlds current fraternising with this regime. It's "happened" rather than "happening" - in real time - so the on-going reporting and increased scrutiny is of course welcome.

For many, the Olympics and the millions involved (people or currency, you choose) are but one element full of people like us who might face choices like this….more regularly than any of us. For decades now. Do I keep pursuing my dream of sporting excellence in competitive Twister or boycott the host country?

Hope further reports are more focused, in future, if further investment increases in the market, as it were.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
How is "making money off of dividend paid by Nintendo's profits" equal to meaning "literally nothing"?

You could argue: it won't change Nintendo's decision making or the way Nintendo operates and it likely won't, but part of every purchase we now do for Nintendo consoles ends up in their pockets. Also, 5% is quite big. Big shareholders can make a difference in (high level) policy or direction at times.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Thank You.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

not to bring technicality into this argument but PIF is the Sovereign Wealth Fund of the Saudis which the Crown (MBS) controls and besides there is a lot of backlash here when Tencent which is heavily backed by the CCP also makes moves like this.

any moves like this made by people have literal blood on their hands is concerning and I have seen it being voiced out here.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Sir, step into any Tencent investment thread.

Edit: Ah nvm, you are a burner account that is aiming to derail the topic.

Last edited:

Oct 30, 2017
not to bring technicality into this argument but PIF is the Sovereign Wealth Fund of the Saudis which the Crown (MBS) controls and besides there is a lot of backlash here when Tencent which is heavily backed by the CCP also makes moves like this.

any moves like this made by people have literal blood on their hands is concerning and I have seen it being voiced out here.

"tencent is heavily backed by the CCP" is not exactly the whole story

asia.nikkei.com

China's tech crackdown widens to Tencent from Alibaba

Communist Party scrambles to rein in country's online giants

Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly one of the more out there moral grand standings I've seen in here when it comes to the subject matter of…

*reads thread title*

Public stock purchases.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
How is "making money off of dividend paid by Nintendo's profits" equal to meaning "literally nothing"?

You could argue: it won't change Nintendo's decision making or the way Nintendo operates and it likely won't, but part of every purchase we now do for Nintendo consoles ends up in their pockets. Also, 5% is quite big. Big shareholders can make a difference in (high level) policy or direction at times.

only the majority shareholder makes or breaks decisions, a minority shareholder doesn't have much of a say in the company.