• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
From what I understand from reading the article is that SNK Is being bought by a Saudi company called EGDC.

However, the purchase was 100% funded by the Saudi Crown Prince. He is the largest shareholder of EGDC.

Of course, someone with Korean knowledge should provide a more accurate translation.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Crown Prince is gonna do it.
He is going to make Mai Shiranui real, he has the money and thus technology.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
From what I understand from reading the article is that SNK Is being bought by a Saudi company called EGDC.

However, the purchase was 100% funded by the Saudi Crown Prince. He is the largest shareholder of EGDC.

Of course, someone with Korean knowledge should provide a more accurate translation.

This should be threadmarked/in the OP.

Saudi company(own by Mohammad bin Salman) acquired snk

right?

Yes

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
He owns 100% of the company that's trying to acquire snk.

So I don't think title itself isn't that misleading lol

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
it's the crown prince confirmed?
not the dota whale saudi prince? he's NOT crown prince afaik

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017

So.. the current title isn't wrong.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Poor SNK, they have so much properties, no real company is interested in them? Why do they always end up bought by Chinese companies that uses them more for mobile game or now a Saudi one...
Actually, SNK's output has been much better ever since they were bought by the Chinese company.
They released KoF 14, Samurai Shodown, various NGPC games on the Switch, and the Mini consoles.

Previously they were dormant.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Actually, SNK's output has been much better ever since they were bought by the Chinese company.
They released KoF 14, Samurai Shodown, various NGPC games on the Switch, and the Mini consoles.

Previously they were dormant.

And they're doing KoF XV which I was interested in seeing but now that's pretty much deflated

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
So.. the current title isn't wrong.

It's not a great title, and with an untranslated link in the OP, it is confusing. "EGDC (owned by Saudi Royal MBS) Acquires SNK" would be far better, and people could always just Google MBS to get an idea of who he is. Especially as he is not acquiring it, a company that he wholly controls is acquiring it.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Poor SNK, they have so much properties, no real company is interested in them? Why do they always end up bought by Chinese companies that uses them more for mobile game or now a Saudi one...

The Chinese owners put SNK back to making games on consoles, arcade and PC. Prior to that purchase, they were only making pachinko and pachislot machines. The first thing the Chinese owners did was sell off/shut down the pachinko/pachislot side of SNK.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Still not sure if this is crazier than their last owners, who were literally a Chinese Chicken Company.

It's a little bit crazier

...international commentators and human rights groups have been openly critical of bin Salman's leadership and the shortfalls of his reform program, citing a rising number of detentions and alleged torture of human rights activists, the Saudi bombing campaign in Yemen which has exacerbated the humanitarian crisis and famine, the escalation of the Qatar diplomatic crisis, the start of the Lebanon–Saudi Arabia dispute, the start of a diplomatic spat with Canada, the arrest of members of the Saudi royal family in November 2017, a crackdown on feminists, the hacking and blackmailing of The Washington Post owner and world's wealthiest person; Jeff Bezos, and the assassination of Jamal Khashoggi.

OP
OP
Eroke

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a great title, and with an untranslated link in the OP, it is confusing. "EGDC (owned by Saudi Royal MBS) Acquires SNK" would be far better, and people could always just Google MBS to get an idea of who he is. Especially as he is not acquiring it, a company that he wholly controls is acquiring it.
sorry... i'm really sorry .

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

But that's just a roundabout way of saying that the Saudi Prince owns SNK.

Oct 27, 2017
The hell did I just read?

Hopefully that sweet oil money means they can keep making games for as long as possible. What happened to their previous owner (I believe it was a Chinese company)?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
sorry... i'm really sorry .

Oh, it's no problem. :) I wasn't being down on you, just was a bit confused, and trying to help. Don't need to apologise. :)

But that's just a roundabout way of saying that the Saudi Prince owns SNK.

Yeah, but in terms of business, it's more accurate/less misleading, as there's a difference between a corporate entity (owned by a person) acquiring a company and a person acquiring a company.

Oct 27, 2017
What a shame this is really.
SNK was on the way back to being one of the best gaming companies only for this to happen.

I hate this. I really hate it.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus christ they have so many great IPs and not one single decent company was interested in them

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
It's not like the new majority holder will have SNK only do oil market simulations or something.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Jesus christ they have so many great IPs and not one single decent company was interested in them
Their previous owners were pretty decent, and released a lot of good games.

But if by "decent" you mean a platform owner like MS or Sony, well I'm glad that they can keep their games non-exclusive to a single platform.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Probably nothing given it's been in development for a couple years now, but after that is anyone's guess.

Yeah. Really sucks that SNK's fate is always up in the air. Maybe this is just a title transfer and they continue like they have been. Maybe everything gets blown up. It always feels like they're getting hit with the reset button right when they have the opportunity to make moves.