• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Felt very weak to me. The cold open, monologue, first sketch, and weekend update are the highlights, but that's it.

The episode felt incredibly rushed and unfinished, from the short weekend update to the sketches that feel like they abruptly end, to barely using Chapelle at all... which honestly I don't blame SNL at all, given the circumstances, but it's disappointing considering they got Chappelle and there was so much potential there.

I'm on tape delay but did Dave only do one sketch?
He did one more at the end as well

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like to believe everyone was jubilant and drunk by the time show kicked off so they didn't really do any elaborate skits

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
I bet a lot of these live shows probably had two separate things in case the election turned out differently or hadn't turned out at all. Still thought it was pretty funny

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I was swearing to myself when I realized I missed SNL today - Uh, judging by all these reactions I would assume I didn't miss much of value?

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"He's like Aquaman but instead of fish he can summon the entire parking lot of a Cracker Barrel" that's a great line!

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
My NBC affiliate keeps coming back late from commercials, so the sketches are starting in the middle of a sentence. :/

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I am going to have to concur that a lot of these skits were assembled at the last minute due the election being called today.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I mean usually they don't go five straight but this was a fine episode all things considered. At least we got Chappelle and the Foos

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't consider myself a Foo Fighters fan at this point of my life but they're crushing this version. Between this, Jack White, and the Strokes SNL has been doing a pretty good job with music this season.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Everyone looked genuinely happy in their celebrations during the send off. More so than the usual back pats I see at the end of these.

Regardless of my opinion of some sketch's qualities, it's been a good night.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
That first sketch is legendary, maybe even more funny than that unaired Will Farrell sketch about the school play. Definitely top 3 of the decade for me though.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Not going to complain, I can't imagine trying to fire on all cylinders with the week we just had and finding out the result on the same day you have to perform

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty weak episode over all and a missed opportunity. Too bad, with a host like Dave, after a week like this week, a day like today, it was really their chance to make a statement. Still... the cold open, Aunt Jemima sketch, Dave's monologue, and Weekend Update were great, so that's like half the show. The Mario sketch and the hail sketch probably could have been replaced with something a little more timely.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Foo Fighters were fantastic. Times like these was perfect pick especially with the slow tempo approach before it kicked into high gear

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
It's a little hard to plan a show when the results were taking so long, hopefully later shows might have a bigger take on the end of trump.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
This episode was so cathartic from top to bottom! Mario sketch was funny for half of it, but wore on too long, but that Weather News desk sketch got me with the "your wife is missing" curveball. >_<

Dave was on point, but the forgive the other side because they're hurting like we were four years ago is a bit pie in the sky and not really nuanced enough to be applicable across the board. Nice in theory but MAGA's are still gonna be out there try'na troll and peacock out there, and aren't really gonna be approachable for the lost part.

Here's to hoping for growth and maturity emerging organically from the Trult (<TrumpCult) after he gets banned from Twitter and fades from the daily public eye. Here's to hoping that happens. *raises coffee*

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Fucking Global was asleep at the control panel last night. They were running another show because of the football game, with a ticker at the bottom promising to cut to SNL immediately, and didn't cut to SNL when it went live. I gave up and went to bed.