• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
I guess I don't understand why people are so upset at the monologue. Once a season, they have a standup on that says spicy shit. This was completely on-brand for him and the show.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cold open sucked, Burr was Burr, enjoyed some of the sketches, had some laughs, I really like this cast so I hope the writing improves because the improv talent is top tier

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Good bits were the opening monologue, the beer commercial skit and Weekend Update, which was absolutely stellar this week All of it, esp Kate's absurd Dr. Wenowdis character breaking hard. Everything else though..... oooof. The political sketch was more or less to be expected, they miss more often than they hit, but the several variants of 'Bill saying something insensitive and bad parodies of woke people reacting' were individually bad and, in succession, utterly, utterly dire.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's really sad Burr decided to lump a salient point about white women in a monologue where he diminishes LGBT oppression, whines about cancel culture (a stark change from when he use to rightfully point out that outrage culture doesn't really exist) and pits black folk against queer folk for some reason. Like what an abject waste of a great point dude... which really is basically now that I think of it par for the course for him, he's always this close to doing it right then he reminds you he's that edgy straight cis white guy afterall

Like congratulations to him for jumping in the whine about woke people train... certainly not a packed train of comedians already on it... like you have this amazing point about white women and you just throw it in there with a bunch of boring generic woke scolding and what's the deal with queer people and why are they proud? How pedestrian

Last edited:

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
It's really sad Burr decided to lump a salient point about white women in a monologue where he diminishes LGBT oppression, whines about cancel culture (a stark change from when he use to rightfully point out that outrage culture doesn't really exist) and pits black folk against queer folk for some reason. Like what an abject waste of a great point dude... which really is basically now that I think of it par for the course for him, he's always this close to doing it right then he reminds you he's that edgy straight cis white guy afterall

Like congratulations to him for jumping in the whine about woke people train... certainly not a packed train of comedians already on it... like you have this amazing point about white women and you just throw it in there with a bunch of boring generic woke scolding and what's the deal with queer people and why are they proud? How pedestrian
Completely agree. He had some good points and observations but he wrapped it up in material that punched down on other folks

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Completely agree. He had some good points and observations but he wrapped it up in material that punched down on other folks

He's really lucky a bunch of white women decided to prove his one excellent point as it's mostly allowed all his bullshit to go not necessarily under the radar but more easily dismissed and apologized for

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Wife and I are watching this now. She had to leave the room during the monologue. Burr just gets to her.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I guess I don't understand why people are so upset at the monologue. Once a season, they have a standup on that says spicy shit. This was completely on-brand for him and the show.

He's an aggressive insult comic and gets close to the line and generalizes. If you can't let go of your ego and take it on the nose it infuriates you, at least that's what I've observed. Insult comedy doesn't work for some people when they are under fire.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't see it so much as diminishment of LGBT oppression as much as comparing the relative severity of black vs. LGBT oppression juxtaposed with the quality of the month they each get to celebrate their culture. It was a humorous observation wrapped in a blanket of ignorant white guy "oppression olympics" spouting. That seems in-line with Burr's schtick of saying something salient or humorous in a way that also makes you cringe. I can see why his jokes don't land for some people cause even his best points in the monologue (white women benefitting from centuries of white supremacy and trying to make POC causes about them) are also wrapped in language that is clearly bait for misogynists on social media to use as ammo in their culture war

I did laugh a couple times during the monologue, tho I did spend almost the entire time [grimacing emoji], so mission accomplished I guess

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
ok weekend update, please save this trainwreck of an episode.

edit: "What can I say, we have a type" was good, lol.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The "I just wanna dance" part reminded me of

scared.gif

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I went upstairs and got ready for bed when Biebs came back. I can't. That was a terrible episode. Once again, Weekend Update is the only part worth watching.

I'm really not trying to be an ass, and I understand comedy is hard, and I'm sure the pressure of being live with an ever changing host is... tough. But like tonight, I have to wonder if they know it's not funny. Like, not one skit even got a smirk out of me. I don't understand how this can be the best they've got