• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
don't worry, Bendis saved us from the feminists

bendis-loves-ms-marvel.jpg

I can only roll my eyes so far at this terrible writing.
*sigh* I've always heard of this moment but never actually seen the pages...as if Doom would ever be reduced to such school yard insults and as if Carol would ever give two fucks about them. What the hell is wrong with Bendis sometimes?

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Brianna and McNulty. It was cathartic seeing him call her out for what happened to her son, D'Angelo.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
my hero academia when deku calls out bakugo for being a ridiculous bully and asshole and terrible moral compass for the populace he would aim to influence by being #1 hero, then cuts ties with him while saying they can be OK but they'll never be friends after over a decade of his terrible behavior

oh wait never happens, deku would get on all fours and bark like a dog for his childhood bully
Yeah IDGAF how much development Bakugo gets my problem isn't really with him it's with Deku never addressing that. Even when they fight he never confronts him for that

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
If it was Cleveland who gave this speech, it'd be one thing, but a serial rapist who frequently targets minors, keeps women trapped in his house, loves roofies, and intentionally gives STIs like candy? Fuck that. He has no business criticizing others.
Besides this, I always found it pretty hypocritical of him considering how many times he also tried to sleep with Lois or admitted he was in love with her.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Does it count when the character calls themselves out on their bullshit?

The actual callout starts at 3:07, but the build up to it does make it even a bit better.

Even though the light novels went on, it works as a really nice cap not just for the movie itself, but for the whole anime series the movie is a part of.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
If it was Cleveland who gave this speech, it'd be one thing, but a serial rapist who frequently targets minors, keeps women trapped in his house, loves roofies, and intentionally gives STIs like candy? Fuck that. He has no business criticizing others.
This.

I hate how Marvel has everyone job to the Punisher for some reason.

That's why I loved Captain America beating the crap out of him.
Its not for some reason. The punisher's " batman prep time " the character. He's problably thought of how to take down a bunch of people. That said it doesn't help much, plenty of time he's went after powerful individuals and got bopped so " magically job to punisher isn't accurate. On occasion when given enough time, he can get away from strong dudes. Usually.
There are like what if's where he kills everyone, but that's kinda it

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
That part in Hunter X Hunter when Leorio...
calls out Ging for being one anime's most notorious deadbeat dads, then proceeds to teleport punch him square in the jaw.

The crowd going full "WORLDSTAR!" was the icing on the cake.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but notice that most of the examples in this thread are of men getting called out. Does it just not happen as often to women in tv shows or do all the notable occurrences happen to men?
The "you suck"/call out speech to Catra in She-Ra is notable example. I'd post an example but apparently YouTube is nothing but bad AMVs now. But I found the storyboard at least:

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
That part in Hunter X Hunter when Leorio...
calls out Ging for being one anime's most notorious deadbeat dads, then proceeds to teleport punch him square in the jaw.

The crowd going full "WORLDSTAR!" was the icing on the cake.

Came to post this as well

After thinking how bad this person was for so many episodes it was great when he finally got what was coming to him.

He actually deserved more lol

Last edited:

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Yeah IDGAF how much development Bakugo gets my problem isn't really with him it's with Deku never addressing that. Even when they fight he never confronts him for that

And he wants to go along with the fight to make Bakugo feel better. Honestly I love MHA, but Deku being a complete yes-man to Bakugo is annoying and baffling as Bakugo has done nothing to earn his respect. If he admires him because he wins and is strong, then that's pretty shallow actually and might as well admire Endeavor.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
And he wants to go along with the fight to make Bakugo feel better. Honestly I love MHA, but Deku being a complete yes-man to Bakugo is annoying and baffling as Bakugo has done nothing to earn his respect. If he admires him because he wins and is strong, then that's pretty shallow actually and might as well admire Endeavor.
You need to let this part go, it's not as big as you make it

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, the only thing that would make that dynamic make sense--but NOT any healthier--if is Deku was legit in love with him.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my hero academia when deku calls out bakugo for being a ridiculous bully and asshole and terrible moral compass for the populace he would aim to influence by being #1 hero, then cuts ties with him while saying they can be OK but they'll never be friends after over a decade of his terrible behavior

oh wait never happens, deku would get on all fours and bark like a dog for his childhood bully

Bless this post.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
haven't even watched this anime but surely this guy is being called out on his shit

Awesome scene in an otherwise meh series. Only sad thing is the show dosent't really follow it up in any great way.
Worst even the girl in the clip isnt even the main one, since the show pushes the boring tsundere as the obvious cannon relationship.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Todd Calling out Bojack in Season 3 :

The first I thought about.

And one of the saddest thing of the whole series is that this was the end of their real friendship, they never were able to recover the happiness of being with each other after this, which really really hurt me because I projected myself in both Todd and Bojack but at different times of my life

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
That Sopranos scene with Carmela and the therapist
Yesss, " You, you're not listening. I'm not charging you because I won't take blood money, and you can't, either. One thing you can never say is that you haven't been told."

And then the end of the episode where all it takes is Tony folding and donating to Columbia and then taking her for dinner into the city and we're back to square one

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Says the one who made a thread about it. Casting stones from a glass house aren't we? Also other people and not just me have an issue with it, so it's not as minor as an issue as you think. So why don't you get on their cases as well?
I mean you only talk about My Hero when it comes to this part on ERA. It was bad for anime onlies and in the early seasons but like right now, there's way more to Bakugo now and this is coming from someone who hated him from the start

Oct 25, 2017
Flanders annihilates the entire town:

Stanley fires a direct hit into Michael Scott's soul:

Says the one who made a thread about it. Casting stones from a glass house aren't we? Also other people and not just me have an issue with it, so it's not as minor as an issue as you think. So why don't you get on their cases as well?
This thread just got meta.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I mean you only talk about My Hero when it comes to this part on ERA. It was bad for anime onlies and in the early seasons but like right now, there's way more to Bakugo now and this is coming from someone who hated him from the start

I really don't if you saw my post. And the issue is not Bakugo, it's Deku, which people still are baffled by even manga readers as other threads said.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017

Also Lester busting Jimmy for his shit

that whole fucking scene, damn. So good. It's probably one of the most "important" (or at least, blunt) in the series regarding its message - the deterioration of community and fellowship under rampant capitalism, how the glorification of violence begets violence and how every new generation that succeeds the former gets more and more desensitized to violence/willing to use violence for no reason at all.

All of that encapsulated in one hell of a monologue.

"All this death, you don't think it ripples out? You don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about. I was a few years ahead of you at Edmondson, but I know you remember the neighborhood, how it was. We had some bad boys, for real. Wasn't about guns so much as knowing what to do with your hands. Those boys could really rack. My father had me on the straight, but like any young man, I wanted to be hard too, so I'd turn up at all the house parties where the tough boys hung. Shit, they knew I wasn't one of them. Them hard cases would come up to me and say, "Go home, schoolboy, you don't belong here." Didn't realize at the time what they were doing for me. As rough as that neighborhood could be, we had us a community. Nobody, no victim, who didn't matter. And now all we got is bodies, and predatory motherfuckers like you. And out where that girl fell, I saw kids acting like Omar, calling you by name, glorifying your ass. Makes me sick, motherfucker, how far we done fell."

Damn good post. The passins relationship, interaction, and respect between Omar and Bunk is one of the best in the Wire. This scene is one of many that has such depth and true gravity in the dialogue. Great acting all around. Omar spitting at the end showing his own disgust to the reality Bunk just ethered him with was the cherry on top.

This is the one that came to mind for me seeing the thread title. Another Omar scene -

The classic response to Levy saying Omar robbing drug dealers.

"I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase"

Killing the holier than thou bullshit of Levy cause he's technically robbing drug dealers himself in a white collar manner. In Levy's own words feeding off the violence and culture of drugs.

Mugenhunt

Oct 17, 2019
Mind being a tad more specific?

Difficult without spoiling the entire series, but I'll try!

Akio used to be a charming fairy tale prince, but fell and became a corrupt shadow of the man he once was. He uses his sister, Anthy, and her magic powers to manipulate a bunch of teenagers into fighting each other, with the hope that one of them will have a pure enough heart so that Akio can steal it and use it to regain his princely nature. He's a petty, awful person who abuses his sister, and seemingly has been allowing her to be tortured to spare him from having to deal with consequences of his actions for possibly centuries. The duelists chosen by Akio fight over who gets to "own" Anthy, as she's the prize for the current champion, and are promised power to revolutionize the world if they win all the duels.

In the finale, Utena, a teenage girl who had befriended Anthy and tried her best to save her from the abuse of her brother, got betrayed and seemingly died. Utena seemingly lost the duel that would unlock the power of Revolution, and vanished.

Akio, disappointed that once again his plan to find a pure hearted teenager and sacrifice them didn't work, asks Anthy to get ready to try again with another set of easily manipulated teenagers.

And Anthy says no. There was a revolution, it just wasn't what Akio expected. His sister has found the courage to leave him, and verbally destroys him before leaving him forever. It is incredibly satisfying to see the woman who had been abused and manipulated for the entire series just completely break her asshole brother into pieces.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
That Sopranos scene with Carmela and the therapist

Came here to post this.

Just hit after hit.

"He's a good man, he's a good father."
"You tell me he's a depressed criminal, prone to anger, serially unfaithful. Is that your definition of a good man?"

"His crimes... they are organized crime."
"The mafia."
"Oh, Jesus...so what? He betrays me every week with these whores."
"Probably the least of his misdeeds."

"My priest said I should try to work with him, help him be a better man."
"How's that going?"

Sep 11, 2020
This scene in Berserk is probably one of my favorites lol. Rickert went from "well, he's ok I guess" to top10 character in one page. Its author did an excelent job with the cast in the second half in the series, to the point I think I actually find it better than the first part.

latest

Oct 28, 2017
Breaking Bad, half the show you're waiting for Jesse to call out Walt

As for GoT, dunno about that Littlefinger scene, but this is incredibly satisfying (even when he's not calling out a particular character)

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
haven't even watched this anime but surely this guy is being called out on his shit

The show is by Studio Trigger and its something like 'A normal life whete everyone has power' ir something similar.

The performance is nice, however it's ironic considering that the girl is a generic submissive childhood friend trope with little character.
Also this speech results in nothing happening pretty much, no one changes.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

Besides this, I always found it pretty hypocritical of him considering how many times he also tried to sleep with Lois or admitted he was in love with her.

Quagmire was aware of what he doing and openly with it.
Brian pretty much does the same thing but denial and thinks he better than Quagmire.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Reigen going up agaisnt the super powered villain group and totally dismantling their twisted self righteous world view several times over was an amazingly cathartic moment. Not only that but be basically tears the idea of a groups of powerful people using their special abilities to forcefully change the world a new asshole over how immature they all are and how their supposedly lofty goal is childish nonsense. He just dumps on the Akatsukis, the Legion of Dooms and any other villain group out there in fiction.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
In THE SHIELD , whenever Claudette ( Cch Pounders ) takes someone to the interrogation room, she also takes them to school . Some of TV great moments are there .
God this is so true. CCH Pounder knocked that role out of the damn park.

However, I want to give props to the moment when Dutch caught the serial killer after a whole day of the suspect (and the whole damn department) laughing at him. Dutch put that boy in his fucking place.

Dec 21, 2017
God this is so true. CCH Pounder knocked that role out of the damn park.

However, I want to give props to the moment when Dutch caught the serial killer after a whole day of the suspect (and the whole damn department) laughing at him. Dutch put that boy in his fucking place.

As good as Viola Davis is, not having CCH Pounder as Amanda Waller is always going to be a cardinal sin.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Picard gave Wesley a dressing down to remember.

Oh yeah that was great. Picard could lay someone on their ass extremely quickly.

One of my favourites is this Data being fed up with Worf. Data is often a very relaxed and comfortable character and when he gets serious you know shit is for real. This is one of the most tense scenes i can remember.

Data's even like... sorry if we aren't bros anymore. That's one thing you don't want to hear even once in your life.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

12th Doctor and Clara forevs

Also, as outright bad as most of Arrested Development post S3 is, I do like that their central thesis seemed to be 'Michael is kind of just as bad as the rest of his family and is a hypocrite for constantly thinking they're the terrible ones'.

Man, the 12th Doctor and Clara are just night and day compared to 11th Doctor and Clara.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah that was great. Picard could lay someone on their ass extremely quickly.

One of my favourites is this Data being fed up with Worf. Data is often a very relaxed and comfortable character and when he gets serious you know shit is for real. This is one of the most tense scenes i can remember.

Data's even like... sorry if we aren't bros anymore. That's one thing you don't want to hear even once in your life.

Both great ones. And while not really a dressing-down, I love Picard and Riker's tense discussion about the mutiny on the Pegasus.