• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
SatisfactoryTweet.jpg

The tweet they replied to which was deleted by the user was this

@SatisfactoryAF Steam or TPB. Your choice. Won't give epic a damned penny

Satisfactory is a first-person open-world factory building game Created by Coffee Stain Studios , Released in Early Access last march on Epic Store

For those who are wondering , TPB is an abbreviation for a famous torrent site

This tweet pic above was slightly edited to not show any info on the user who tweeted to them , the original one is the following

https://twitter.com/SatisfactoryAF/status/1121300538673586178

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It's always diminished as "your preferred launcher", when I daresay in a number of cases it's "your preferred pricetag". And that's a significant factor in particular when the discussion moves out of the West.

Which doesn't justify piracy, of course, but, well, there's a reason that it's been suggested that Steam's had a significant impact on encouraging legitimate gaming in a number of regions.

Jaysc

Oct 25, 2017
I agree it's bad to pirate.
However boiling it down to the reason of "preferred launcher" may be reason for some, but it isn't the only reason for many.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Not really surprised to see people here immediately side with piracy over some normal people making a living from their game.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's a logical reply, even if "preferred launcher" isn't completely fair. It doesn't administer the baby powder that most games like to receive before having their asses kissed, but I'm okay with that.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree it's bad to pirate.
However boiling it down to the reason of "preferred launcher" may be reason for some, but it isn't the only reason for many.

It's twitter and he's speaking in anger to someone that just told him he'd steal from him.

Let's maybe give a slight benefit of the doubt the person in question probably was just an entitled little shit and not one of the reasonable EGS detractors.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
They're not wrong, but it doesn't address the problem. If people not buying their game is ok with them, it's ok with me.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Siding with the dev over here.
Stealing the work of people who worked their asses off to make it, just because it's on EGS ? It's straight up disrespectful.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's a natural response to seeing someone openly talk about pirating your game. I'm sure they're getting a lot of messages like that right now which would be annoying after years working on the game.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're really looking forward to playing this game and want to support the devs, but don't agree w EGS having exclusivity over the title, in my opinion you buy the title, and then @ mention the dev and tell them you're supporting them specifically but disagree w the policy and feel it's bad based on the reasons you think that. I do not believe in pirating games, that's wrong.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
what are we meant to discuss here? asking honestly, because this is such non-news and not a new phenomena either, people pirate yes.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Not really allowed to articulate a nuanced view on this topic on resetera, should probably just close the thread.

Piracy bad : )

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Boiling it down to "preferred launcher" is a bit simple (in part a problem with Twitter, I suppose), but I can't blame Coffee Stain for getting annoyed at someone directly telling them that they are going to pirate their game.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Didn't know The Pirate Bay was still around. Anyway, pretty sad of that user to make such "threats". I can only imagine they're around 12 years old or so, at least sounds the part...

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Developers often forget about international markets when discussing availability.

It's not just about being a different launcher. EGS doesn't offer local currency or local payment methods in many countries. Regional pricing, by itself, is useless when games are still being charged in USD and not only the exchange rate make them too expensive, but it's also impossible for customers to purchase them because of the lack of options (not everyone has access to international credit cards).

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
They're not wrong, but it doesn't address the problem. If people not buying their game is ok with them, it's ok with me.

Exactly. It's a free market, if people don't want to spend their money on X game for whatever reason, then that's their choice, regardless of how dumb or sensible it is. No one is obligated to buy a game.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Literally the first three posts in the thread are shifting partial blame to the Dev.

Uh, no, the first two posts are making fun of the dev claiming people's problems with the EGS are just about a "preferred launcher." It's calling them out for intentionally misrepresenting people's complaints about the EGS. None of them are blaming the developer at all, again, you're simply in a huge hurry to "oh gosh!" that you're not reading their posts.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Rationalising piracy
I mean there are people who don't have a recourse for acquiring a game that's on EGS, so it's not like the dev could ever make money off those people anyways.

Twitter pirate might not have been one of those, but may have been...

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Complaining about the game being on EGS is fair enough, but if you refuse to buy it on EGS, or can't, you don't get to play it. You aren't entitled to play every game that is released.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Not really surprised to see people here immediately side with piracy over some normal people making a living from their game.
I think their living has been a little more than made by the fat stack of cash they got in exchange for causing their game to be pirated. I can't in good conscience side with the developer there, they literally got paid up front to offset any and all lost sales. Piracy is bad and everything, but anyone who took those deals knew full well what they were doing, and getting in return.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Good for them sticking up for their product and business decision. Just cause you don't like the choice they made doesn't mean you can steal it.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
The kid's threat sounds like an excuse, frankly, though it might be genuine anger from a stupid entitled child. Humans are complicated.

EGS is probably here to stay. If anybody can pull off a steam competitor, it's Epic, thanks to the very, very long relationships they have with devs.

I prefer Steam, but it's crazy that people don't see that money-hatting exclusives is the only way EGS can take off. Steam had no competitors so they only needed HL2 and Counter-Strike exclusivity on their platform but Epic has a much steeper mountain to climb.

If I owned Epic, I would do exactly what they are doing. Wouldn't you?

Last edited:

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but the adults who need to be permanently attending an adult daycare don't have any high ground when they start screaming about pirating content just because they're mad.

Be an adult. If you're going to boycott and not be full of shit for performative outrage on the internet, actually boycott. Put up or shut up. Some of this does make grown men look like literal babies.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
While i wont advocate piracy, i wont be buying the game simply cause its on egs. Its not just an issue of launchers and ppl keep throwing that around which make them sound completely ignorant about the subject.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I mean there are people who don't have a recourse for acquiring a game that's on EGS, so it's not like the dev could ever make money off those people anyways.

So if you have no recourse other than to buy the game on EGS, its ok to pirate it ?

Because its not like you could just not buy the game right ?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Don't pirate, just don't buy the game / wait for the Steam version.

Out of curiosity tho, does voting with your wallet even work if Epic is guaranteeing a minimum amount of sales / money?

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Antagonizing other members
Uh, no, the first two posts are making fun of the dev claiming people's problems with the EGS are just about a "preferred launcher." It's calling them out for intentionally misrepresenting people's complaints about the EGS. None of them are blaming the developer at all, again, you're simply in a huge hurry to "oh gosh!" that you're not reading their posts.

Oh fuck off with this. I barely even fucking comment on anything dealing going with the Epic Store because I don't even play games on PC. But if there is one thing I've learned within the past months of watching it all go down, it's that PC gamers are the most entitled bunch of whiny little shits in the greater gaming community.

The dev most likely does not see the store as anything more than a launcher where their game is hosted. Sure, they probably got some cash for it being exclusive for a while, but if you were in their position and possibly needed the money, you'd probably take that deal too. Honestly, I could go on and on about this but I think I'd rather just leave and take my ban for calling you head-up-own-asses entitled shits what you are.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Boiling it down to "preferred launcher" is a bit simple (in part a problem with Twitter, I suppose), but I can't blame Coffee Stain for getting annoyed at someone directly telling them that they are going to pirate their game.

But that is exactly what happened. The guy said "it's not on steam so I'm going to pirate it." It absolutely is a preferred launcher choice. The only way it wouldn't be is if he said "in my region, Epic Games Store is not available."

Anyone coming into this thread to try to blame the developer is an asshole, plain and simple. There is no room for "there are legitimate complaints about the EGS" here, because that isn't what happened. What happened was some guy saying "if you don't sell your game where I want you to, I'm going to steal your game."

That is absolutely asshole behavior, no two ways about it.

Oct 25, 2017

Not having a legit way to get a game doesn't excuse pirating. Having access to a video game isn't a fucking right or necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.