• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yes, I do. I like to know something is done. And that it is at my disposal.

I don't want to wait a week to maybe get another bite. I want the whole meal.
I will wait for the meal. I won't even complain if it takes some extra time to come out.
I just expect a full meal.

Edit: Binging isn't a sign of me just rushig through episodes at 1.75X speed. It's a sign that I am invested.
But I can only get invested if I know you didn't abandon the thing half-way through.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It's strange to talk about the loss of the social aspect of weekly entertainment like we aren't talking about streaming that already so deeply abused the basis of that idea when it was first made for the theater experience. This is a 50-plus-year-old argument and I'll take convenience over the aural experience personally.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I do. I like to know something is done. And that it is at my disposal.

I don't want to wait a week to maybe get another bite. I want the whole meal.
I will wait for the meal. I won't even complain if it takes some extra time to come out.
I just expect a full meal.

Edit: Binging isn't a sign of me just rushig through episodes at 1.75X speed. It's a sign that I am invested.
But I can only get invested if I know you didn't abandon the thing half-way through.
She acknowledges the benefits of the binge model and that it is natural to want more fast without waiting for each episode. She also argues that being forced to wait can enhance the experience and that the binge model has changed how a series is written and not necessarily for the better.
You should watch the video, it's much more nuanced than the bad original title makes you think.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
She acknowledges the benefits of the binge model and that it is natural to want more fast without waiting for each episode. She also argues that being forced to wait can enhance the experience and that the binge model has changed how a series is written and not necessarily for the better.
You should watch the video, it's much more nuanced than the bad original title makes you think.

I know that having to wait and cutting off at a point where you want to see more can build up suspense and your curiosity as a viewer. It can absolutely enhance the experience. But when the wait is more than a day, I just get annoyed. I could deal with things like that when every day I would get one episode of my show on TV.
If I'm invested in a story and your characters, I just can't wait a week. I can wait a day, but that's it.

I'd just rather wait for a series to be completed, for years, than to be hanging on to next week, or next month, or next year.
I'm a fan of Berserk, for example. That taught me. :P

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
i like to watch at my own pace, so even when it all drops, i usually watch how i feel like, maybe 1 episode a day etc

me and my girlfriend don't give a fuck about what nerds talk about online regarding cultural lifespan. we just want to watch when we want and at our pace

in my opinion tv shows that have "cultural lifespans" are few and far between relative to the amount of tv shows out there, and that is mostly down to the success of global syndication like Star Trek TNG, not because they released one episode a week and ran for 6-7 years

like with GoT, each season lasted 9-10 weeks? at least the earlier seasons. that's irrelevant, because you'd wait a year for the next season any way. if you dropped all 10 episodes immediately, I don't think the GoT zeigeist would be much different.

GoT is kinda a good example to use for weekly format because of anticipation for next episode because of the nature of the show, but very few shows out there need weekly format, especially nowadays when there's so much tv out there, and the fact that most tv isn't even all that good, can you imagine if it was all weekly again, fuck that

Last edited:

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Sarah is not that kind of YouTuber. She makes long generally well written long form videos and post on average once per month. And she has her own niche when it comes to choosing what to talk about.

Also what's with the title of the thread? I haven't watch the video yet but the title of her video is "Binge Watching is Kinda Bad For TV". Was the thread title the original video title? It implies that Sarah is commenting on how viewers binge watch, rather than on the way services release their content.

The video definitely matched the thread title earlier today. I assume she changed it to be a little less clickbaity.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Online discussions are a replacement of watching the next episode, which I'd rather have.
So yeah I actually prefer having LL episodes available in one go.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't give a shit about being part of the zeitgest of online discussion, then binging it quite good.

It's the opposite to me - as an example, when an entire season drops, the fervent bingers rush to update wikis, reddit, etc. It means when I come along watching it weekly and need to Google to remind myself who a character is suddenly I'm spoiled for the whole season. It is deeply frustrating.

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017
I don't watch many TV shows, but when I do I'll wait for it to be over and then I can set my own pace of watching. Some days it'll be one episode, others it could be 2 or 3. Maybe I have a day off or something.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I've got a terrible memory so when I watch week to week I'm always forgetting what happened since the last episode. I also forget to watch the shows altogether from week to week and I end up bringing them anyway but weeks after release lol. With binge watching, I get to enjoy the whole story at once and feel fully satisfied I understood all the side plots as I remember all the details. I do end up forgetting the whole show pretty quickly afterwards though lol.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
This is how I felt about both Ozarks parts, they just came and went
To be honest, I think a majority of binge release content just hasn't been as good as things that have been released in the "traditional" weekly format. There are maybe a handful of exceptions, and it's always been my understanding that Ozark isn't one of them.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
When shows come out weekly now I just wait for it all to release so I can binge. So I'm pretty positive I enjoy it quite a bit. I hate waiting for cliffhangers.

I actually think it's making TV better because there's less reliance on cliffhangers and episodes feel more fulfilling.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It's funny, the video was obviously made before, but finishing up Stranger Things season 4 volume 1, it presents an excellent example of the serialized format actually being detrimental to the overall product's enjoyment.

Stalling the shit out of several plotlines and introducing bloat for a particular number of episodes just to pack everything relevant in the giant-ass finale that airs over a month later.
YES

This is the revolution of the binge-model / Video on Demand that Netflix kickstarted and that gave us the golden age of television. Not the weekly serialized format that made every episode a self contained piece of fluff and only had short two or three parter carry-ons because people forget what happened six weeks ago. Go look at the latest Star Wars series and then compare that with Stranger Things s04 and tell me weekly serialized works better for the format itself.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I 100% do not give a shit about discussing something weekly versus having a chance to watch everything at once.

Hot take: these YouTubers and nerd websites love weekly releases since they can pump out 15+ clickbait articles a week. You can't do that with a bingeable show.

That we've regressed back to weekly releases (the sole reason is so streaming sites can retain subscribers) is terrible.
Where I'm at

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
I 100% do not give a shit about discussing something weekly versus having a chance to watch everything at once.

Hot take: these YouTubers and nerd websites love weekly releases since they can pump out 15+ clickbait articles a week. You can't do that with a bingeable show.

That we've regressed back to weekly releases (the sole reason is so streaming sites can retain subscribers) is terrible.

This post is correct

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
No I love binging.

What I hate is long form youtube influencers with paternalistic hot takes, did not click.
It's not a hot take, she also talks about the benefits of the binge model and that wanting to binge is understandable and a valid choice.

This is the revolution of the binge-model / Video on Demand that Netflix kickstarted and that gave us the golden age of television.
The golden age of television started long before Netflix was a thing and the majority of the great shows of this age are network or cable shows released weekly. Netflix was influential in some ways but it hardly raised the bar when it comes to quality.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
I try to watch one episode for day or fewer than that lol
I do not mind watching weekly, though, as it helps watching things in a slower pace.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Binge lets me watch it at the speed I want.

The video makes a lot of assumptions and correlations that I don't believe are true also.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
boomer time? boomer time

This "but weekly allows you to be part of the zeitgeist and talk about it every week man" bullshit is super timely with all the "WHY IS NOONE TALKING ABOUT X GAME ANYMORE" threads on gaming.

This idea that we must constantly be talking about something or it's irrelevant is a horrible by product of social media and one of the reasons I do in fact hate social media.

or, you know...

GET OF MY LAWN YOU GODDAMNED KIDS
This

Binge model or weekly model, it doesn't matter. The internet puts way too much emotional investment into perceived zeitgeist around a show/game/film/etc. There are shows that I think benefitted from a big zeitgeist burst of a binge drop (like Squid Game) and there are shows that benefitted from the weekly format to slow burn anticipation (like Wandavision). At the end of the day if you enjoyed something who cares if most people consumed it in a week, over 8-12 weeks, or months/years later? You enjoyed it when you watched it and that's the most important thing.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Loved bingewatching at first, but I definitely did notice I quickly forgot about the stuff that we watched. Since Disney started doing the weekly stuff I realized I currently enjoy that a lot more. Mostly because I currently don't want to watch a lot a TV in general, but also because I really enjoy the anticipation of a coming episode of a show you are enjoying. Like, we'd save our most 'snacky' meal of the week for the day of the episode and we'd get some nice drinks and it'd really be something we would be looking forward to.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It's not a hot take, she also talks about the benefits of the binge model and that wanting to binge is understandable and a valid choice.

The golden age of television started long before Netflix was a thing and the majority of the great shows of this age are network or cable shows released weekly. Netflix was influential in some ways but it hardly raised the bar when it comes to quality.
Aye fair, I shouldn't have used that term that broadly, but the format of TV shows changed due to video on demand (or perhaps better it catalyzed an innovation that started earlier).

May 25, 2019
London
Don't really care about discussing it online, if I finish an episode or a season I don't need to go immediately discuss it.

I like it when they drop all episodes at once, I can make time in my schedule to tackle the show and then be done with it. I can't believe we are moving back to one episode per week formats of linear programming, where people had to schedule around new episodes of a show

SevKnight

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
City of Apples
I watch shit for my entertainment, not to discuss it with people.

I lose interest with weekly shows and forget about them before their season is over. The weekly model destroyed my interest in the recent seasons of the Expanse. Power + it's spinoffs and BMF are the only shows I keep up with weekly. So No, Sarah, I do actually enjoy binge watching.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Hate weekly. Yes I even hate it on Disney+. If it's not released all at once then I'd prefer the rarely done 1 episode a day release schedule.

1 episode a week is just awful to me.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The discussion around 'zeitgiest' is interesting imo cause I can't help but interpret it as also implying that a show has little discussion value if people are going to visit it years down the line

This just doesn't hold up to scrutiny imo when you look at stuff like Sopranos and The Wire. Which did have weekly drops but lasted way beyond that initial drip. They have the same cultural cachet as a classic film within their own medium. The 'zeitgiest' doesn't matter much at all imo or at least not enough to demand every series follow this model

I just like being able to watch however I want. Season 6 of saul has already tuned me out with the weekly drip of glacially paced shit it's being doing. While I was 'binging' (watching an ep or 2 a night) the previous 5 seasons I was more tolerant of the bad cause something good was right around the corner. Now I have to wait a week (or weeks).

Tbh online discussion around shows also just sort of fatigues my general interest. Game of Thrones had years and years of theorycrafting which just kind of revealed the whole thing to be a bit of a sham by the end. LOST as well. I think almost no show stands to this kind of surgical analysis. Maybe Twin Peaks The Return? But that annoyed me for entirely different reasons

GCQ

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The biggest issues with weekly releases wasn't that it was weekly. It was because you had to MAKE time to catch an episode at a designated time, or else you missed out for who knows how long before the rerun or DVD boxset release, or you recorded it for later.

Both of those stopped being an issue once we had streaming services that archived episodes.

This is something I actually think weekly streaming needs to move to, honestly. If you wanna act like weekly TV go all the way with it and release eps in prime time.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
My "binge" is incredibly lite. I do not watch entire seasons in a day as I lose information and don't enjoy what I'm watching as much. 2-3 hours max and I take a much needed break.

Multi episode drops, especially for a part 1 and part 2 (Obi-Wan, Wandavision) are more than fine, because they're just one big episode cut in two.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Eh, that's not the only reason. There's an argument to be made that allowing a show to grow and find it's audience due to word of mouth over time benefits anyone who enjoys the show. You damage allowing a show to grow that fandom, which in turn spreads the word of mouth over time and letting it evolve. The binge model doesn't allow for growth and it stifles how long a show is talked about as a result which in turn hurts the word of mouth aspect. Dismissing the impacts about how the conversation and being in the public eye impacts the show just because you don't like talking about it doesn't mean you aren't impacted from the lack of that discussion. I think it's really short sighted and too narrow of a viewpoint to not see the bigger picture in all this.

The funny thing about the short sightedness of all this is it reminds me of how so many people on this forum could only see their bubble view of movies and theaters and thought that theaters were dead and couldn't wait for straight to streaming without realizing that they weren't dead and that there's an impact that comes with going directly to streaming. Removing the conversation and letting a show breathe is similar to removing the theater from the equation. People may think it doesn't impact them because of their short sightedness but the bigger picture means it actually does.
On a personal consumer level, none of that matters to me.

And if that were true, that shows could only really grow over sustained release periods, we wouldn't have Stranger Things and The Witcher, Bridgerton and Squid Game. All some of the most discussed and viral shows of the last few years.

And let's take an even broader perspective here, are films unable to be culturally relevant cause you can see the entire story all at once? What about novels, or plays, the primary way humans have shared creative stories for most of recorded civilization, were/are they unable to become culturally relevant without cutting the stories up into 10, 1 hour chunks over ten weeks?

I think much of what people post or argue on this topic is people seeking arguments to justify their preferences here.

Last edited:

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Video has been retitled to "Bingewatching is kinda bad for TV" so hopefully people can stop knee jerking now.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The discussion around 'zeitgiest' is interesting imo cause I can't help but interpret it as also implying that a show has little discussion value if people are going to visit it years down the line

This just doesn't hold up to scrutiny imo when you look at stuff like Sopranos and The Wire. Which did have weekly drops but lasted way beyond that initial drip. They have the same cultural cachet as a classic film within their own medium. The 'zeitgiest' doesn't matter much at all imo or at least not enough to demand every series follow this model

I just like being able to watch however I want. Season 6 of saul has already tuned me out with the weekly drip of glacially paced shit it's being doing. While I was 'binging' (watching an ep or 2 a night) the previous 5 seasons I was more tolerant of the bad cause something good was right around the corner. Now I have to wait a week (or weeks).

Tbh online discussion around shows also just sort of fatigues my general interest. Game of Thrones had years and years of theorycrafting which just kind of revealed the whole thing to be a bit of a sham by the end. LOST as well. I think almost no show stands to this kind of surgical analysis. Maybe Twin Peaks The Return? But that annoyed me for entirely different reasons

This is similar to my feelings. It actually reminds me of all these analysts and filmmakers talking about the sanctity of the theatrical experience (which I have nothing against) as though 99.8% of people who will ever watch a movie won't watch it at home long after the initial buzz has died down.

clmartin

Banned
Apr 1, 2022

Bingo.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Edit: wait, did the title change?
"Bingewatching is kinda bad for TV"
well, I don't have any strong opinions against that if so

Thank god we have YouTubers to tell us what we actually like ¬¬
What a dumbass title for a video. Tell me that there are benefits of weekly releases - fine. Tell me that weekly releases help things reach the zeigeist better (although I think with so many streaming platforms and shows that's very much the exception aside from Ted Lasso and GoT) - fine. Don't tell me that I don't actually enjoy something that I do in fact prefer, however. I'll often wait until a show's season is done so I can binge it. I very much do prefer that.
+1
I like to talk and theorize about what is next for Star Trek Strange New Worlds or Better Call Saul, but I watched The Next Generation seasons 1, 2, 3, and 4 in less than a month (26 episodes of 50 minutes each), Better Call Sall 2 to 6 (first 3 episodes) in 3 weeks) and it was great.

Last edited:

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like weekly much more than Netflix type.
You can think more about each episode, talk about each episode with others, make theories... and more important than that, you won't be spoiled if you can't watch all episodes in 2 days. :|

May 10, 2018
Don't really care about discussing it online, if I finish an episode or a season I don't need to go immediately discuss it.

I like it when they drop all episodes at once, I can make time in my schedule to tackle the show and then be done with it. I can't believe we are moving back to one episode per week formats of linear programming, where people had to schedule around new episodes of a show
That's the thing though, like someone else pointed out earlier, we aren't necessarily going back as Netflix is the only service that has been all in on the binge model.

Other services are doing a combination of both with some shows all at once or the method of 2-3 episodes drops at once and then weekly from there or just two episodes a week until the finale.

HBO has pretty much always been weekly.

May 25, 2019
London
That's the thing though, like someone else pointed out earlier, we aren't necessarily going back as Netflix is the only service that has been all in on the binge model.

Other services are doing a combination of both with some shows all at once or the method of 2-3 episodes drops at once and then weekly from there or just two episodes a week until the finale.

HBO has pretty much always been weekly.

But Netflix WAS streaming for a number of years now, so it definitely feels like these other services are trying to claw back the full content drop model. I get why they do it, you reduce subscriber churn. More often than not, I'll just wait for the show to finish and then watch it all at once anyway.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I want to have full control over when I watch a series, only a full release really lets me do that. With every other model, I'm forced to accomodate to their schedule instead of my own.

I constantly have to remind my 4 year old of this lack of control whenever we watch regular-ass TV (in a hotel or smth) or listen to the radio. :lol He always looks at me as if I'm a dinosaur if I start with the "this used to be the norm, you couldn't decide when to watch something, someone else decided for you what was playing when and you could only decide to watch it or miss it".

With everything that's going on in my life and the limited free time I have, control over my own experience trumps everything else.