• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This brings up an interesting point about the Its always sunny forays into blackface. They definitely regret their earlier depictions of it but they took an interesting twist with the gang turns black that. That also brings up the point of is it ok if a character you arent supposed to sympathize with does it and its played for laughs? Theres is a lot of stuff from its always sunny that has not aged very well (you can definitely watch the evolution of American TV on LGBT issues through it) but I definitely do think they usually have some kind of positive message they want to convey through it which is why I dont think they deserve to be raked over the coals for things that have aged badly.
No one sane is, it is jsut a "gotcha" that people that don't want to really engage in the conversation us. Like how every blackface thread brings up Tropic Thunder. You have problems if you think that movie was jsut doing black face just to do it

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This brings up an interesting point about the Its always sunny forays into blackface. They definitely regret their earlier depictions of it but they took an interesting twist with the gang turns black that. That also brings up the point of is it ok if a character you arent supposed to sympathize with does it and its played for laughs? Theres is a lot of stuff from its always sunny that has not aged very well (you can definitely watch the evolution of American TV on LGBT issues through it) but I definitely do think they usually have some kind of positive message they want to convey through it which is why I dont think they deserve to be raked over the coals for things that have aged badly.
I think Sarah could say the same here, if her own quotes and lambasting her replaacement while calling herself daring for fucking up. The context of her show is shes stupid and naive like some kind of child, thus the blackface. It was making fun of someone being dumb enough to blackface, not laughing at stereotypes.

Not that I'm okay with that but with acknowledging its from 12 years ago id be able to overlook it in that context if not her weird praising herself for it here

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No one sane is, it is jsut a "gotcha" that people that don't want to really engage in the conversation us. Like how every blackface thread brings up Tropic Thunder. You have problems if you think that movie was jsut doing black face just to do it

Right, I was going to say I havent seen the Sarah Silverman clip but someone earlier mentioned their being at least some context with the character being portrayed as ignorant and not something that should be supported. That makes me want to be able to look past it but the statement makes me understand why people take issue with her.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah we're on to a Tropic Thunder discussion, where people get to rationalize laughing at 2 hours of blackface by summoning the Magic Wand of Satire.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
You are 100% wrong. Comedians should be held accountable for the things they say and do just like anyone else. The other side to this is that they should be allowed to apologize and grow like anyone else too.

So I'm suddenly not going to find George Carlin and Eddie Murphy's colorful language funny or offensive?

I get things at changing, but the moment people start calling George Carlin a homophobe because he used the F word is the day I quit the internet.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
"Sticking her neck" sounds like the actress as daring or provocative as Sarah in her mind. Like black face was fucking experimental in 2007

Hmm! I understand. Like, in that soundbite, it sounds pretty pretentious especially if you look at the article and the sketch as all you need to know about Sarah Silverman.

She used to be known to be provocative, yeah... so it's likely she meant the producers thought of someone less provocative for the role instead.

As the GQ article starts :

You know the one. The "I don't care if you think I'm racist; I just want you to think I'm thin" Silverman. The extended-Aristocrats-joke-about-getting-raped-by-Joe-Franklin Silverman. That Silverman was an aggressively detached stoner girl who rose to fame by dabbling in surrealistic filth and turning epithets over on themselves, who was the MVP of nearly every celebrity roast, who got into a public feud with an Asian-American civil rights activist over using the word "chink" in a joke she told on Conan, who once did a bit about deboning Ethiopian babies in order to harvest precious gems, and who once did an entire episode of her own Comedy Central show in blackface.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This brings up an interesting point about the Its always sunny forays into blackface. They definitely regret their earlier depictions of it but they took an interesting twist with the gang turns black that I felt recognized this. That also brings up the point of is it ok if a character you arent supposed to sympathize with does it and its played for laughs? Theres is a lot of stuff from its always sunny that has not aged very well (you can definitely watch the evolution of American TV on LGBT issues through it) but I definitely do think they usually have some kind of positive message they want to convey through it which is why I dont think they deserve to be raked over the coals for things that have aged badly.
The cast of Always Sunny are horrible god awful people. You're generally laughing at The Gang rather than with them but some people simply don't like black comedy.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
And people say satire is dead.

One was a man having a mental break down and was called out on that bullshit from beginning to end

The other was legit horrible people being extra horrible.
He gets called racist throughout the entirety of the movie, and it's revealed that he actually CAN'T shut it off, even when he's aware that it's racist.

That's like getting pissed at Mel Brooks for the 'Springtime for Hitler' thing in The Producers
Did you even watch the movie
Yeah Its the same satirical joke as this episode of The Sarah Silverman Program.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
She defended this shit for a looong time. Why within this last year has she decided that her history of racist joke making is now a problem?

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Its the same satirical joke as this episode of The Sarah Silverman Program.

Exactly. I think it just proves that some people are willing to ignore context and grant exceptions for their interest. IE; this is funny and clearly not meant to demean anyone, so I'll allow it. Then, Sarah Silverman sucks and I'm not giving her a pass regardless of if the message was the same.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still surprised Jimmy Kimmel has managed to brush off the old Man Show sketches. Heck, I think he even interviewed Oprah on his show despite going in blackface and drag to mock her.

Edit: And don't get me wrong, I don't think he should be fired. Both he and Silverman have shown they have changed (fairly sure he's renounced those old sketches too).

For real. Those Carl Malone sketches.. Silverman is a different person, and if you're going to cancel her you might as well do the same for every comedian that sprung from the late 80s / early 90s comedy scene.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Exactly. I think it just proves that some people are willing to ignore context and grant exceptions for their interest. IE; this is funny and clearly not meant to demean anyone, so I'll allow it. Then, Sarah Silverman sucks and I'm not giving her a pass regardless of if the message was the same.

Good thing some of us can be consistent and say they're both in poor taste and I'll asvised.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't see both of those twitch threads about mistaken identification of racial slurs and take the statement that "cancel culture isn't real" seriously.
I guess it depends on whether the outcomes of said "cancel culture" matter in taking it seriously, since one of those streamers, Alinity--who had thrown her cat and given it some vodka--actually saw an increase in traffic/followers after the drama rather than the opposite. "Cancel culture" seems to be a response to a lack of accountability for actions and the frustration arising from that.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

The thing I hate about doing something ignorant in a comedy from the point of view of the character to point out the ignorance of that specific act, is that the underlying message often goes undelivered and you're left with audiences laughing at the display of ignorance for the wrong reasons. When I watched Tropic Thunder with friends in theaters, most of whom weren't Black, they sure as hell weren't laughing at Robert Downey Jr's character because of the absurdity of him going too far when it comes to method acting. They were laughing because it was a white dude in black face, playing up black stereotypes.

Like this shit technically has a legitimate underlying message: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_kKVaXajmo but I bet you that people laugh at it for the wrong reasons.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I hate about doing something ignorant in a comedy from the point of view of the character to point out the ignorance of that specific act, is that the underlying message often goes undelivered and you're left with audiences laughing at the display of ignorance for the wrong reasons. When I watched Tropic Thunder with friends in theaters, most of whom weren't Black, they sure as hell weren't laughing at Robert Downey Jr's character because of the absurdity of him going too far when it comes to method acting. They were laughing because it was a white dude in black face, playing up black stereotypes.

Like this shit technically has a legitimate underlying message: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_kKVaXajmo but I bet you that people laugh at it for the wrong reasons.
I mean isn't that the whole reason the booty juice guy was there to go in on RDJ

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
And that's the rub. Silverman's portrayal of blackface is rooted in a history of minstrel shows and taking the humanity away from people who look like me. It's the visual version of calling me the n word.

I can't say the same thing about RDJ in Tropic Thunder. If people want to get mad about Tropic Thunder, then I'm not going to say they can't. But to me, Silverman's representation and Tropic Thunder aren't similar at all.
I guess the question is how would you know the difference if you admitted that you don't know how she used it?

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This is a good point.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Oh this was a recent movie, I see what the problem is. the makers didn't want to be all in on the thinkpieces and opinions. Which is understandable. I bet the movie had a racial component or why else bring it up?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Must be weird being Sarah Silverman. She made her name with over-the-line racial and religious humor but now that exact thing that made her famous has been thoroughly canceled.

She probably had to think long and hard on how to address this without torpedoing her career.

"Where do I go from here?"

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It started that way and then it took a turn where people saw her standing up for the rights of black people, which was coming at it from two different directions so it was muddled overall and didn't work.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is a great point, but I don't think you can fault the creators for that. They put the component in their piece of media for a specific reason if the audience chooses to react incorrectly it is to no fault of the creator.

I think South Park has this issue as well. Cartman is very obviously a terrible person that you shouldn't have sympathy or empathy for. Unfortunately though a lot of people really enjoy Cartmans character even though he is a racist shithead. That doesn't mean that Matt and Trey are racists, just means that people have adopted his character and are trying to emulate him because he's edgy and funny.

Oct 25, 2017

The skit is worth watching (imo, in light of this debate), for those that can stomach it.

This is the spectrum as I see it:

1. Not wearing blackface - acceptable
2. Wearing blackface as a way of demonstrating how horrible is it is - not acceptable
3. Wearing blackface as a way of demonstrating how horrible is it is but also for shock comedy - not acceptable
4. Wearing blackface to 'respect your favourite black ______' - not acceptable
5. Wearing blackface for shits and giggles - not acceptable
6. Wearing blackface with the explicit intent to mock/marginalize black people - not acceptable

They did #3. Her character is meant to be terrible and ignorant and the explicit theme of the sketch is 'wtf you can't do that' but that can't be a vehicle for therefore doing whatever you want. It shouldn't be a vehicle for entertainment. Since she owned and denounced it, I personally wouldn't promote the idea that she should be 'cancelled' or change my consumption of her content (I think Mr Show might be the only thing I've seen her in?). I think this particular example is something someone should be able to come back from. But I also don't fault anyone for choosing to fire her for this.

Also, her comment about sticking her neck out was fucking stupid. She's obviously upset, having expected that apologies, remorse and time would be enough, but saying shit like that won't do her any favours.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She defended this shit for a looong time. Why within this last year has she decided that her history of racist joke making is now a problem?
Because perspective usually takes time?

There was a long time I would've defended calling someone gay because that's just the culture that we grew up around in the 80s, saying 'c'mon you know we don't mean it like that' and yet, here we are today and I would never do that shit.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
Because perspective usually takes time?

There was a long time I would've defended calling someone gay because that's just the culture that we grew up around in the 80s, saying 'c'mon you know we don't mean it like that' and yet, here we are today and I would never do that shit.
*shrug* Wearing blackface was just as unacceptable then as it is now. Not buying that she didn't have "perspective".

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This thread seems to have devolved into metacommentary on whether users should forgive Silverman for her blackface sketch or not. As such, the thread is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.