• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, if someone had a record of every bad joke you all have ever told amongst friends you'd be canceled too.

Why do we need to dig shit up and call for comedian's heads? Especially if they're apologetic and acknowledge it was hurtful and in poor taste.

Didn't you know? No one here has ever told a racist, sexist or homophobic joke before. Never ever ever.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this coming a mile off

People don't choose what they find funny

Comedians with their own shows DO choose what jokes they tell and which sketches the run

Comedians write jokes and sketches based on what they find funny.

Which according to you, they don't choose.

What's the difference?

Also Tropic Thunder and Always Sunny are poor examples. If you are swearing those off and "canceling" them, you might have been laughing at them for the wrong reasons.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
What? Your sense of humor is not out of your control. If you find something funny and also morally objectionable you can do some self-reflection about why that is and how your own biases play into that.

I have, that's why I no longer find it funny.

They choose those jokes and sketches based on what they find funny.. which they can't control according to you, and is absolvable.

Excuse me, but this show ran on a network and had a budget. Presumably the jokes and sketches are chosen based on what the audience would find funny. Thus making it a successful show and justifying the network's investment. It's not some purist expression or art. It's a television sketch show.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
There is a big difference between why Sarah is getting shit for this online and RDJ and Rob McElhenney are not.

I'll give you guys one guess why SHE is the one being targeted in a yet another online harassment campaign.

Hint: It's not about ethics in games journalism.

Sexism is a huge part of everything but I feel like comedians get more shit for doing blackface than comedic actors playing a role( even if they're involved with the writing). Its def a double standard but I see it a lot.

Like Billy Crystal and Jimmy Fallon also got a lot of shit online when their blackface bits happened/resurfaced.
BillyCrystal_SammyDavisJr.jpg

fltxm4v3my64icth2mrp

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have an opinion one way or another on modern Silverman. What I think is weird thought is... the job of comedians is to get a certain reaction from us. If we like that they make us laugh, we keep following them and giving them money. If we like that they make us think, we keep following them and giving them money. Their success depends on understanding how the audience reactions to different things and building the desired reaction based on that. If they're good at doing that we declare them to be a good comedian.

So, then, if a comedian makes a joke it results in them getting deemed as a racist, I don't why comedy suddenly distances them from their reaction. Isn't that just them failing at comedy? They wanted people to laugh and see them as insightful, but they ended up getting this other response instead. Doesn't that just mean that they failed to understand how people react properly?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do people think of the James Gunn comparisons being made? I'm interested to see how people feel they're similar or different.
What do you mean? He apologized for his jokes and I believe he is remorseful. He is hardly the only comedian/director to use child abuse as material for jokes, I can't watch a single comedy special on Netflix without being triggered because the comic will inevitably make that sort of joke. I personally find them tasteless and unfunny because of my own trauma and how hearing them affects me personally, but I'm not gonna act like every single comic who uses humor to engage with that subject is some horrible human being. People deal with fucked up things differently. Also there is significant evidence to suggest Gunn was in an environment as a child where abuse was taking place, so I wouldn't be surprised if he learned to use humor to cope with that.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Choose your adventure!

You: "I'm cancelling Sarah Silverman over this!"
The Right: "Wow, cancelling someone over a mistake she's already owned up to and apologized for. Embarassing!"

You: "She's learned her lesson, I won't cancel her over this."
The Right: "So now it's OK for someone to do blackface as long as they say sorry afterwards? Embarassing!"

The sooner we stop worrying about what they think, the better. They'll just make something up if theres nothing available for them to use to make the line of attack they want. Need I remind folks that this is the same group of folks who lost their shit over a tan fucking suit?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Is that not the exact same context for Silverman's blackface? (idk if you're arguing that they're different or not to be clear)

I just saw a lot of people bringing up Tropic Thunder, but again, I think even without similar context with Silverman it's something that can be forgiven. She has changed, and she's spoken out against the sketch, and unlike someone like Roseanne, she's shown that she has changed.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm literally aware of my previous opinions and how they've changed. I've watched the "it's always sunny" episode a few times and each time it got less and less amusing. Now I just skip that episode and I haven't been watching the latest episodes. How is that anything other than self aware?
Because you seem to find your own reaction completely fine but you're taking a snapchat of these people, one that never changes, and are applying your changing morality to said snapchat right now without allowing any possibility that they might have changed.

Do you want people to judge you now by the way you were 12 years ago or by who you are now? You give yourself so much leeway and excuses but don't allow the same for others.

Hey, I can't choose what I find funny! I've changed! Oh them? Yeah, they're canceled.

May 13, 2019
Man, if someone had a record of every bad joke you all have ever told amongst friends you'd be canceled too.

Why do we need to dig shit up and call for comedian's heads? Especially if they're apologetic and acknowledge it was hurtful and in poor taste.
I find these kind of hunts to be more entertainment that anything an average comedian could come up with.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have, that's why I no longer find it funny.

Excuse me, but this show ran on a network and had a budget. Presumably the jokes and sketches are chosen based on what the audience would find funny. Thus making it a successful show and justifying the network's investment. It's not some purist expression or art. It's a television sketch show.
...which is the same fucking thing Silverman did. She also no longer finds it funny. You are the same. Stop throwing stones.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
So.. Sarah Silvermann didn't write jokes she thought were funny, just jokes she thought people like you (back then) would find funny and that's her fault?

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see you've never visited twitter.com before.

People disliking a thing or somebody is not new to any culture, offline or online. Material harm or consequence hardly comes to anybody who falls victim to "cancel culture".

Y'all get so triggered by the finality of the word "cancel" it's embarrassing.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean? He apologized for his jokes and I believe he is remorseful. He is hardly the only comedian/director to use child abuse as material for jokes, I can't watch a single comedy special on Netflix without being triggered because the comic will inevitably make that sort of joke. I personally find them tasteless and unfunny because of my own trauma and how hearing them affects me personally, but I'm not gonna act like every single comic who uses humor to engage with that subject is some horrible human being. People deal with fucked up things differently. Also there is significant evidence to suggest Gunn was in an environment as a child where abuse was taking place, so I wouldn't be surprised if he learned to use humor to cope with that.

A few in the thread made comparisons to Gunn being fired after his tweets resurfaced. Two people who made edgy jokes in the past being fired for them years later after disavowing them. I was just wondering if others found the comparison fair or not and for what reasons.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
...which is the same fucking thing Silverman did. She also no longer finds it funny. You are the same. Stop throwing stones.
So.. Sarah Silvermann didn't write jokes she thought was funny, just jokes she thought people like you (back then) might find funny and that's her fault?
Like I said, the total lack of self aware is killing me.

This dude is just arguing for why he should be canceled.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Because you seem to find your own reaction completely fine but you're taking a snapchat of these people, one that never changes, and are applying your changing morality to said snapchat right now without allowing any possibility that they might have changed.

Do you want people to judge you now by the way you were 12 years ago or by who you are now? You give yourself so much leeway and excuses but don't allow the same for others.

Hey, I can't choose what I find funny! I've changed! Oh them? Yeah, they're canceled.

Except I'm an individual and it's my sense of humor.

This episode was written by 4 people:

IMDB

It's a production with multiple people besides Sarah behind it. That's light years ahead of a chuckle as far as intent goes

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because nobody can be allowed to admit they made a mistake or grow up.
Apparently...
Bingo.

Most people are hypocrits. Nobody is born woke but everyone likes to act like they always held perfect views since childhood.

Why are we so eager to cancel anyone who made mistakes in judgement even if they aren't making those mistakes now? Are we afraid to admit we've all been flawed in one way or another?

I bet a lot of people here would not like to meet the person they were in high school.

People speaking out about how they've changed and learned and grown is really important to continue to encourage other people to do the same.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really have an opinion one way or another on modern Silverman. What I think is weird thought is... the job of comedians is to get a certain reaction from us. If we like that they make us laugh, we keep following them and giving them money. If we like that they make us think, we keep following them and giving them money. Their success depends on understanding how the audience reactions to different things and building the desired reaction based on that. If they're good at doing that we declare them to be a good comedian.

So, then, if a comedian makes a joke it results in them getting deemed as a racist, I don't why comedy suddenly distances them from their reaction. Isn't that just them failing at comedy? They wanted people to laugh and see them as insightful, but they ended up getting this other response instead. Doesn't that just mean that they failed to understand how people react properly?
Sure, but the comedy isn't necessarily a reflection of their true views. Much like an actor, comedians are playing a part when on stage, a character. Also things that were once societally acceptable can become unacceptable over time. So comedians may have made a joke 10 years ago, majority of people found it funny and everyone moved on, then 10 years later someone digs up the clip and now it's inappropriate. Pretty impossible task for comedians to essentially 'read the room' ten years into the future.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Eh she already said she was wrong for it and admitted it was a mistake. Moving on.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

IMDB

It's a production with multiple people besides Sarah behind it. That's light years ahead of a chuckle as far as intent goes
It's your sense of humour that was catered to, you found funny and are now cancelling people for despite them thinking it poor/back on reflection?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

IMDB

What does any of that have to do with anything? Comedians write sketches and jokes and routines based on what they find funny. You happened to, at one time, find that funny. You no longer do. Comedians are also allowed to, over time, no longer find the same things funny. This isn't that difficult to grasp, and you constantly interjecting budgets and writing staffs into the conversation is either trolling or a total lack of self awareness. The core principle is the same. You feel like you are allowed to evolve your sense of humor, but don't afford that to people who happened to write the jokes.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
It's so strange listening to the Bill Simmons podcast and then seeing this delayed viral reaction just because some aggregator cut-and-pasted snippets of the podcast to post as an article (I fucking hate this kind of "journalism", but that's besides the point).

I would really suggest listening to the full interview, but seeing all the knee-jerk reactions, I doubt it.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

This seems like an odd comparison to make considering the issue being discussed happened on an episode of a TV show that aired on a basic cable channel.

I'm curious, anyone see that program of hers on Hulu? "I love you, America" I believe it was called? I never saw it and am somewhat curious if people have opinions on that. It sounded interesting, but people made it out to be some novel thing that people are treating Trump supporters with compassion when they get glowing articles in papers like the NYT weekly and nothing has changed.

People disliking a thing or somebody is not new to any culture, offline or online. Material harm or consequence hardly comes to anybody who falls victim to "cancel culture".

Y'all get so triggered by the finality of the word "cancel" it's embarrassing.

Yep there's always a weird subtext of "how dare you not support this person who does stuff that you don't like or find entertaining" and it's basically the same weird argument as "but think about what will happen to the starving devs if you don't buy Spongebob: Battle for Bikini Bottom HD". I haven't been paying attention to Silverman -- and TBH the way that old TV show was marketed was part of why -- so it's not like she's particularly canceled to me now anyway, at least no more so than, say, Animal Collective is cancelled because I don't listen to their stuff.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
It's your sense of humour that was catered to, you found funny and are now cancelling people for despite them thinking it poor/back on reflection?

Yeah because you don't choose what you find funny.

But a group of writers and a TV corporation DO make decisions about what to put on their TV show

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Re: RDJ in Tropic Thunder. I never felt like it was making fun of people that look like me. It felt like they went through a lot of work not to make RDJ look like a caricature. People in the movie were always making fun of him for going so far with his character.

That Sarah Silverman picture just makes me sad to see. I don't care about the content. It makes me feel bad as a black person to see somebody represent my people like that.

I don't know anything about the content, but that's how I feel whenever people bring RDJ and Tropic Thunder up.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd have to be a total fucking caveman to cancel Sarah Silverman over some old comedy bits that she herself disowned.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A few in the thread made comparisons to Gunn being fired after his tweets resurfaced. Two people who made edgy jokes in the past being fired for them years later after disavowing them. I was just wondering if others found the comparison fair or not and for what reasons.
Gunn was the target of a right wing hit campaign, Silverman was just the victim of a studio getting cold feet because they are worried about possible Twitter backlash. They are different in that regard, but otherwise they are similar I guess. Both people have apologized and shown real remorse and no longer do those sort of jokes.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ok with canceling Sarah Silverman over this shit. If we don't hold ourselves to high standards the Right will be have more credence when they screech "persecution"
Hollywood would basically have to close shop at this rate. One thing is criminal behavior or having backwards ass views in modern society.

But using the time machine for people asshole behavior? No one in society would be able to move forward I feel. Everyone has baggage.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it that whenever "cancel culture" is invoked people seem to spend more time clutching pearls over whether or not it's OK to still like the person than they do reflecting on the shitty thing they got called out for to begin with

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Please, go ahead and tell me what I care about. I'm sure you know better than I do.
I mean, I'm sure you care when others are displaying double standards or being hypocrites but do you care when you're doing it? This thread would say that no, you don't.

Multiple people are calling you out on this but you don't see it.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She owned up to it being in poor taste, and regrets doing it. Cancel culture is generally ridiculous and largely dismissive of people changing or taking responsibility for past actions.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
She really was emblematic of that whole super-problematic "post-comedy" movement back then, alot of her shit will age very poorly and her anecdote here doesnt surprise me

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but the comedy isn't necessarily a reflection of their true views. Much like an actor, comedians are playing a part when on stage, a character. Also things that were once societally acceptable can become unacceptable over time. So comedians may have made a joke 10 years ago, majority of people found it funny and everyone moved on, then 10 years later someone digs up the clip and now it's inappropriate. Pretty impossible task for comedians to essentially 'read the room' ten years into the future.

The latter past I agree with you with. But:

"Sure, but the comedy isn't necessarily a reflection of their true views. Much like an actor, comedians are playing a part when on stage, a character."

Isn't that also on her to establish? If she's being critical of the behaviour and not just reveling in it, isn't that also her responsibility to make that clear just as it's her responsibility to make the joke funny? As Sarah Silverman herself says, there's a definite habit of white liberals to just imitate racism with nothing to differentiate it and then declare it to be fundamentally different because they, the person performing, aren't racist. She's done it herself in her comedy before and been called on it before.

I don't really care about the movie's hiring process here, they can do what they feel is appropriate. They have no obligation to hire anyone. And again, I also feel that Sarah Silverman has grown and think that's worthy of praise. But I just feel like these sort of threads reflect a lot of anger from people who are asked to think about the things they do and say and choose to instead lash out because they won't want to expend that effort.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Even though she's stepping away from it rightfully, I do want to say the sketch:

a) Doesn't do the blackface in a way that portrays it as a positive thing to do. It heavily condemns it in fact.
b) Does not use it to make fun of black people features.
c) Uses the black face as a good critique of racism in America.
d) Is her acting as a character who is doing the blackface. (same thing as RDJ in Tropic Thunder)

The point of the sketch is basically that regardless of which minority you are in America, it's extremely bad for everyone, and that it's a bit silly when some minorities play the "well I'm X so it's worse for me than it is you because you're Y" rather than working together which is what they should be doing rather than trying to inter-compete.

Like legit, the sketch does more with blackface for a "good" purpose than Robert Downey Jr. does in Tropic Thunder with it or any of IASIP's use of it and yet I don't see either of those uses getting canceled. Really weird how the instant it's a minority woman people start getting the pitchforks. :/

e:

Like blackface is obviously not a very good thing to do, but I think we can also use our brains and have some nuance when it involves actors playing characters who are the ones doing the blackface for an ulterior story/point. Just like when actors play characters that are racist/bigoted, that doesn't mean the actor themselves are terrible people. And there's definitely a difference between what her sketch & what RDJ in Tropic Thunder was doing and what the play people doing blackface back in the heydey were doing in regards to race.
I just want to quote this so more people can read it. I recall the episode was actually quite brilliant satire and those calling to "cancel" Silverman would have a different opinion on it if they actually watched it. Despite blackface being a subject that always crosses the line no matter what context today, this episode aired twelve years ago on Comedy Central.

Status
Not open for further replies.