• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
You used to think black face was funny? đź‘€

Yeah I thought tropic thunder was hilarious and the lethal weapon episodes of "its always sunny" too. That's on me, I have changed a lot since then. It was pretty ignorant and uninformed of me. But then again, you don't choose what makes you laugh. I guess over time I got more and more context and it became less and less funny and more cringey/racist.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
"Canceling" people who are obviously on the right side of history is exactly what the alt right wants. Divide and conquer and all that.

...what am I saying? Fuck her. She told a shitty joke and now must be blacklisted. Shame. Shame.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I thought tropic thunder was hilarious and the lethal weapon episodes of "its always sunny" too. That's on me, I have changed a lot since then. It was pretty ignorant and uninformed of me. But then again, you don't choose what makes you laugh. I guess over time I got more and more context and it became less and less funny and more cringey/racist.
So you're allowed to change but they're not?

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
On one hand I don't want to cancel her. On the other I stopped caring for her once I realized her schtick was " I say horrible things but people still pay attention because I am little and cute and they can't picture me saying these horrible things".

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On one hand I don't want to cancel her. On the other I stopped caring for her once I realized her schtick was " I say horrible things but people still pay attention because I am little and cute and they can't picture me saying these horrible things".

At least you admit it's about whether you like a person's work or not and not about what they actually did. Most people just hide behind self righteousness.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad she doesn't stand by it anymore. Her poltical stuff since 2016 has been pretty scathing.

Oct 25, 2017
I listened to the podcast and the tone of all this was very different from how it's read
She also seemed very apologetic about it after the quoted bits about the blackface and she went out of her way to apologize about it in the past without being first "exposed" by someone else

Take that as you will

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There is a big difference between why Sarah is getting shit for this online and RDJ and Rob McElhenney are not.

I'll give you guys one guess why SHE is the one being targeted in a yet another online harassment campaign.

Hint: It's not about ethics in games journalism.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lol, you say it was wrong then make an excuse about not choosing what you find funny. Did you intend to make this ironic?

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ok with canceling Sarah Silverman over this shit. If we don't hold ourselves to high standards the Right will be have more credence when they screech "persecution"

Choose your adventure!

You: "I'm cancelling Sarah Silverman over this!"
The Right: "Wow, cancelling someone over a mistake she's already owned up to and apologized for. Embarassing!"

You: "She's learned her lesson, I won't cancel her over this."
The Right: "So now it's OK for someone to do blackface as long as they say sorry afterwards? Embarassing!"

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why did she say"...but who's never stuck her neck out." I don't understand how she can own up, but say it like she did something brave? Or maybe I am missing tone, and she isn't saying "stuck neck out" like a positive thing?
I took it as her saying that this person was more low-key and didnt scramble for the biggest roles but thanks to her screw up that person got a chance to make a name for themselves

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
They were within their purview to not want that coming back to them, ultimately it isn't their fault she did what she did, but that doesn't mean she can't change and grow, she's probably wealthy and I'm sure she has a lot of opportunities other people do not have, and she also has a lot of people that will pay to see her and defend that she's changed.

And yeah, cancel culture isn't a thing, but we know people are chomping at the bit to say it.

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
psssst

they are still really funny

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
At least you admit it's about whether you like a person's work or not and not about what they actually did. Most people just hide behind self righteousness.
I still listen to Gwar and watch Troma films, I have no right to judge beyond my personal tastes.

The only can't come back from line I have is for child molesters and rapists. That is cancellation time for me.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, she seems genuinely sorry for it.

But it's also completely fine for her to be fired because of it.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Choose your adventure!

The Right: "Wow, cancelling someone over a mistake she's already owned up to and apologized for. Embarassing!"

The Right: "So now it's OK for someone to do blackface as long as they say sorry afterwards? Embarassing!"
This. There is no way to win with those shitheels. There is no sense in worrying what they think about anything. Just ignore them. Their opinion doesn't matter.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
^ This. Folks gotta quit caring about the standards that the right tries to hold the left to while playfully disregarding any standards on their own.

I mean, she seems genuinely sorry for it.

But it's also completely fine for her to be fired because of it.

Considering it's in an article and becoming a thing, I imagine that casting director is feeling pretty justified right now. Until someone figures out which film it is.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I thought tropic thunder was hilarious

Hm, Tropic Thunder is still hilarious to me, and I don't find blackface acceptable.
I thought the point was to point fun at the excessive zealotry of celebrities trying to justify their bigotry, and people like Rachel Dolezal who 'want to be black' but are just plain racist.
Am I missing something ?

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though she's stepping away from it rightfully, I do want to say the sketch:

a) Doesn't do the blackface in a way that portrays it as a positive thing to do. It heavily condemns it in fact.
b) Does not use it to make fun of black people features.
c) Uses the black face as a good critique of racism in America.
d) Is her acting as a character who is doing the blackface. (same thing as RDJ in Tropic Thunder)

The point of the sketch is basically that regardless of which minority you are in America, it's extremely bad for everyone, and that it's a bit silly when some minorities play the "well I'm X so it's worse for me than it is you because you're Y" rather than working together which is what they should be doing rather than trying to inter-compete.

Like legit, the sketch does more with blackface for a "good" purpose than Robert Downey Jr. does in Tropic Thunder with it or any of IASIP's use of it and yet I don't see either of those uses getting canceled. Really weird how the instant it's a minority woman people start getting the pitchforks. :/

e:

Like blackface is obviously not a very good thing to do, but I think we can also use our brains and have some nuance when it involves actors playing characters who are the ones doing the blackface for an ulterior story/point. Just like when actors play characters that are racist/bigoted, that doesn't mean the actor themselves are terrible people. And there's definitely a difference between what her sketch & what RDJ in Tropic Thunder was doing and what the play people doing blackface back in the heydey were doing in regards to race.

It's easier cancelling the Jewish woman I guess.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Choose your adventure!

Hell, I've seen the latter happen here. It's not just the right.

Just check out any thread about James Gunn.

Deleted member 7777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, if someone had a record of every bad joke you all have ever told amongst friends you'd be canceled too.

Why do we need to dig shit up and call for comedian's heads? Especially if they're apologetic and acknowledge it was hurtful and in poor taste.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I find it very difficult to take people seriously who use catch phrases like "cancel xyz" to express their distaste with someone. There's nothing quite like wrapping your complex thoughts and emotions into one word to eliminate any and all nuance from the discussion. Taking your ball and going home isn't really a good way to make progress.

Also, Silverman isn't objectively a bad person. She is an edgelord for sure, but she owns up to her mistakes, past and present, and learns from them. She's not perfect, and she knows it. I'd be more bothered if she did some Adam Corolla type shit and just said everyone was being too PC without the concession that they were wrong.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I've always been a fan of hers and will continue to be.
Seeing the i never liked her bullshit in here because of reasons, sure is something.

If we holding every comedian accountable for the things they said and do on a sketch or stand up, then we may as well stop listening to and watching comedy.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Source: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/12/entertainment/sarah-silverman-blackface-scli-intl/index.html

I never liked Sarah Silverman because of her racist edge lord humor. But it's good to see she's owning up to it.

Lock if old.

OP, you should probably add the quotes people mentioned where Silverman actually owns up if you're going to say "it's good she's owning up to it". Your choice of quotes makes it seem like she completely misses the point.

Then we can actually move on to the point: that she was fired for a tasteless racist joke she did twelve years ago that she now regrets. This is the James Gunn controversy all over again. Let's not play into the stereotype that leftists and progressives love cancelling everyone at the slightest faux pas.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I do think it's a good thing Sarah Silverman's learned. There's a previous incident where she got flack for using anti-Chinese slurs and went on with Bill Maher to tell his Chinese panelist to shut up because she's helping his people and repeat the N-word at his black panelist because he's allowed to say it in that setting. There's a world of difference between that "shut up, I get to do this because I'm helping you" mentality - which is a really common one - and the one's she's at now.

I think this thread's going to be fucking horrible though.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see you've never visited twitter.com before.
I find it funny that multiple people have said this thing that plenty of leftists have talked about for years now doesn't exist. Some top tier gaslighting going on here.

Is Sarah Silverman also not real?

Saw this coming a mile off

People don't choose what they find funny

Comedians with their own shows DO choose what jokes they tell and which sketches the run
Your total lack of self aware is beautiful.

You found these sketches to be funny but are now trying to cancel those people because you couldn't control yourself. Nice.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Considering it's in an article and becoming a thing, I imagine that casting director is feeling pretty justified right now. Until someone figures out which film it is.
I feel part of moving on from egregious past mistakes is understanding that at some level, for some people, you're never going to have their respect/forgiveness. You don't go and do a fucking interview about and say some shit like "stuck my neck out" like you were brave enough as a white woman to do blackface. FOH.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Tropic Thunder walked a VERY fine line with blackface. At all times RDJ's character was the one being mocked. The humor was never "ha, ha, look at that goofly black guy". The humor was always "that white guy is a fucking idiot"

As for this, I don't think Silverman should have been canned. People can change, and i think she's shown that she had. The right wing nuts will complain no matter what happens, and if any of them being up people like Roseanne, remind them that she did get second chances, and kept fucking it up.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Lol, you say it was wrong then make an excuse about not choosing what you find funny. Did you intend to make this ironic?

Are you telling me that you make a conscious decision every time you chuckle?

Are you telling me that people with their own comedy shows aren't making a decision To do a blackface sketch?

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If we holding every comedian accountable for the things they said and do on a sketch or stand up, then we may as well stop listening to and watching comedy.

You are 100% wrong. Comedians should be held accountable for the things they say and do just like anyone else. The other side to this is that they should be allowed to apologize and grow like anyone else too.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
What do people think of the James Gunn comparisons being made? I'm interested to see how people feel they're similar or different.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
You're not going to get banned for that. Like, I just saw Lethal Weapon. It was cool. Mel Gibson n' all that.

*looks around, see - I'm okay*

It comes down to separating the art from the artist - and the severity of their discretions. I think Mel's was mostly hate speech, though I can't remember if he also hit his wife/girlfriend. He's no Cosby or Polanski, at least, but he's still a dick. I (still) like Mel Gibson as an actor and a director, and there is a bit of a conflict at times when reconciling that with Mel Gibson the person. Am I enabling him by enjoying his work?

On the other hand, with stuff like Sarah Silverman here and the brief outrage over a poorly worded comment from Terry Crews, people will take even the slightest excuse to put someone on the shit list.

What do people think of the James Gunn comparisons being made? I'm interested to see how people feel they're similar or different.

I think the two situations are pretty similar - questionable taste of old material that both feel regret over.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Comedians with their own shows DO choose what jokes they tell and which sketches the run
What? Your sense of humor is not out of your control. If you find something funny and also morally objectionable you can do some self-reflection about why that is and how your own biases play into that.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

They choose those jokes and sketches based on what they find funny.. which they can't control according to you, and is absolvable.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Your total lack of self aware is beautiful.

You found these sketches to be funny but are now trying to cancel those people because you couldn't control yourself. Nice.

I'm literally aware of my previous opinions and how they've changed. I've watched the "it's always sunny" episode a few times and each time it got less and less amusing. Now I just skip that episode and I haven't been watching the latest episodes. How is that anything other than self aware?

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Tropic Thunder walked a VERY fine line with blackface. At all times RDJ's character was the one being mocked. The humor was never "ha, ha, look at that goofly black guy". The humor was always "that white guy is a fucking idiot"

Is that not the exact same context for Silverman's blackface? (idk if you're arguing that they're different or not to be clear)

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
She's 100% right. And cancel culture most certainly exists. It's all about the high of being the most righteous.

That said, I'd rather cancel culture exist as opposed to it's direct antithesis, but it's still wrong.

Life is not black and white. There is nuance in the world. But I suppose that requires a certain amount of maturity to realize.

Status
Not open for further replies.