• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They don't need them anymore, they have PS5 controllersšŸ˜ƒ

Congrats, do love the GIFS! not sure what jifs are...

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Barlog was already one of my favourite industry folks, but knowing he pronounces gif correctly really bumps him to the top of the list.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I should mention that he's not as active on OT side as he used to be. Mostly gaming side.

Earthed

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
it... does?

it's at least one of the few ownerships a creator has over creations, the name.
And like I said, naming something does not give you the power to change the way language works. If he had invented the English language, you might have had a point.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the only time I won't mind someone calling it a jif, he made GOW

Props to Sunhi though, I have bought games because of their gifs. Much deserved

Oct 25, 2017
And like I said, naming something does not give you the power to change the way language works. If he had invented the English language, you might have had a point.
Is your argument that a "g" cannot be soft in English? What rule of English are you appealing to that trumps a creator's chosen name for their creation?

Ugh why is this thread about this now and why did I contribute to it? :[

Earthed

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Is your argument that a "g" cannot be soft in English? What rule of English are you appealing to that trumps a creator's chosen name for their creation?

Ugh why is this thread about this now and why did I contribute to it? :[
Well, I was largely joking, but since you asked, this site does a pretty good job explaining it. To summarize:
- The "g" stands for "graphics", which has a hard "g".
- By way of its closet lexicological neighbor "gift", and how that's pronounced.
- Most words with a single syllable that start with a "g" are pronounced with a hard "g".
- And, I mean, what kind of monster instinctively pronounces GIF with a soft "g"? A person like that just doesn't exist.

So, I mean, you can pronounce it JIF if you want, but you'd be wrong to.

In all actuality, both are correct, and it's entirely up to preference.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
OMG I can't believe he said JIF.

Is JoW still in safe hands?

I dont know why this had me cracking the fuck up.

I will say Much has some of the best gif(hard G) editing ive seen.

Sunhi makes me want to play whatever game he is showing off....Much just makes me want to watch the gifs over and over.
Once my new PC is built Ill go back to making gifs, these two always inspire me...unfortunately my video editing skills are truly shit, so I usually just make them to show off cool aspects of games.
People are rarely willing to go off site to watch a video of what you are explaining, so I would always just make gifs of it and post that.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I was largely joking, but since you asked, this site does a pretty good job explaining it. To summarize:
- The "g" stands for "graphics", which has a hard "g".
- By way of its closet lexicological neighbor "gift", and how that's pronounced.
- Most words with a single syllable that start with a "g" are pronounced with a hard "g".
- And, I mean, what kind of monster instinctively pronounces GIF with a soft "g"? A person like that just doesn't exist.

So, I mean, you can pronounce it JIF if you want, but you'd be wrong to.

In all actuality, both are correct, and it's entirely up to preference.
Thank you for answering this is in a way that allows me to move on even though I disagree with some of your points and have counterexamples. šŸ˜ˆ

You are a good and kind net citizen this day. šŸ™

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Sunhi's Monster Hunter gif's are amazing. GG Santa Monica for recognizing this.

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I am going to start typing it as jif from now on... only because it seems to drive some people crazy for some reason. =)

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Sunhi has come a long way from immediately posting goal gifs in the football thread back in the day. Amazing work from him -- a very cool gesture by the Jod (lol, well played mnz) of War team.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
when will these hard g mouthbreathers get the gist of why choosy devs choose gif
inb4 someone comes at me with ' g for graphics' do you pronounce CREAM (Cash Rules Everything Around Me) as Creh-ahm? gotta enuniciate the first letter in the actual words when you say an acronym amirite

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
ugh
stop-trying-to-z8bwiu.jpg

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
I cant offer you a controller SunhiLegend but i cant thank you from the bottom of my heart. your MHW Beta gifs were shared all over my group chat and my boys who had never played MH were in love with the look. we've been hunting monsters since!!

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Please change thread title to "DEVELOPER PRONOUCES GIF LIKE "JIF".... also gives cool controllers to jif creators"