• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So far, I think this is probably my second favorite Netflix show of this year, only behind Stranger Things.

Loving it so far. Finishing ep 4. Anyone else find this part dumb :

the duel with Lucifer? I mean why didn't she start with anti life? Everything pretty much has a counter so they will both get attacked

Not particularly, no. We don't know the exact rules of the challenge, and even if you could simply start with a "nuke", it would have made for a pretty boring event to watch. Also, while I don't know if this is actually an intentional reference, some are saying Gwendoline Christie turned into a dire wolf as a Game of Thrones Easter egg.

American Gods falling apart is a yarn ball inside of several other yarn balls, for sure. But a lot of the chaos came from Neil not being the showrunner from the beginning and the showrunner changing from season to season, each one having new ideas that conflicted with the last. At least from what I've seen, Neil has been extremely adamant about remaining primarily in control of both Good Omens and now Sandman, to ensure the stories being told are consistent and fit with the tone and style he wants.

I just hope he isn't pushing himself too hard.

I totally forgot he was associated with Good Omens, but that makes sense. While watching the first episode of The Sandman, all I could think was that it reminded me a lot of a less vibrant looking Good Omens...with some strange camera angles. And yeah, sucks about American Gods. I enjoyed all of the series, despite it veering way off course after the first season. I also think it still has the best intro of any show ever too.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Onto episode 6.

So far the most remarkable changes have been fleshing out some of the early villains that in the comic were quite one dimensional by comparison.

So I guess that's the most obvious improvement that you get from having talented actors interpret and add to your characters since
TV John Dee > Comic John Dee
TV Roderick Burges > Comic Roderick Burges
No less in part by the performances of Charles Dance and David Thewlis, but more importantly, the writing that goes into giving them characters that are worthy to be portrayed as more than just a villain who does evil deeds.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I was a bit down on the Constantine change as a big fan of the original Sandman comics and Helllblazer, but the show makes it work as its own thing.

The character is still there.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For those who don't know, John Dee is Dr. Destiny, a DC supervillain who also appears in other productions. He appeared in "Only a Dream", a Season 2 storyline of Justice League. He was voiced by William Atherton. Another version of Dr. Destiny, named John Deegan, appeared in the Arrowverse crossover "Elseworlds" and was played by Jeremy Davies.

Oct 29, 2017
One missed opportunity for which I fault this adaption is not changing the appearance and overall design of the demons, especially Choronzon which is honestly already super goofy looking on the page, and then you adapt that to a guy in costume which is just sort of both goofy and a bit cheap looking. Maze and Lucifer look great and having a recognizable human shape is part of their character, but the demons I wish would look more alien more Barlowe-esque like Guillermo Del Toro monsters .

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to read this prior to watching the show, I'm leaning towards Comixology.

Is there any difference between the deluxe edition and the 30th anniversary edition? I was reading online that some editions were re-colored.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, the hdr is fucked. I have the same issues.

I tried watching the show through my apple TV instead of the normal Netflix app on my TV now, the colours seems to be showing correctly there. Right at the start of ep 6 everything had a green tint that didn't show up with the apple TV. Using Dolby vision on both, so don't know what might be causing it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the first season. I really liked it. It's not perfect, it never could be, but it was an enjoyable adaptation of the source material.

Hopefully S2 is announced soon.

Oct 29, 2017
Finished Episode 4, the best one since the first. Kinda wish Mazikeen was like the comic but I understand how unpractical that would be lol I'll be honest I prefer the fucked up weirdo zombie Dee than this more humanized version. The duel was cool too, good adaptation of it.

Matthew is too cute in this... lmao

Ranking:

4>1>3>2

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first season. I really liked it. It's not perfect, it never could be, but it was an enjoyable adaptation of the source material.

Hopefully S2 is announced soon.
Here's what I was told today:
"If season 2 is a go, prep will begin in October , Production will likely resume in March, VFX work to begin late spring/early summer.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I would like to read this prior to watching the show, I'm leaning towards Comixology.

Is there any difference between the deluxe edition and the 30th anniversary edition? I was reading online that some editions were re-colored.

I think the Deluxe Editions are just a re-packaging of the 30th Anniversary Edition with extras. The 30AE go by the original arcs (Preludes & Nocturnes, The Doll's House, etc.) while the DE collect a couple of arcs + some comics beyond the "main" series (for example DE Vol. 1 collects both Preludes & Nocturnes and The Doll's House *but also* Sandman Midnight Theatre #1, which is not part of the 'main'' series but features the encounter between Dream and Wesley Dodds, the 'superhero' Sandman). So I assume they use the same (re)colors.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The 30th Anniversary editions absolutely have new coloring and they look great.

sandman3.jpg

sandman2.jpg

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

sandman3.jpg

sandman2.jpg

I also appreciate the newer coloring more but I can see arguments either way. It's not that dissimilar to the difference between the two versions of The Killing Joke, where the original had this kind of wild garish coloring and the newer one is more subdued and realistic.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Deluxe Editions are just a re-packaging of the 30th Anniversary Edition with extras. The 30AE go by the original arcs (Preludes & Nocturnes, The Doll's House, etc.) while the DE collect a couple of arcs + some comics beyond the "main" series (for example DE Vol. 1 collects both Preludes & Nocturnes and The Doll's House *but also* Sandman Midnight Theatre #1, which is not part of the 'main'' series but features the encounter between Dream and Wesley Dodds, the 'superhero' Sandman). So I assume they use the same (re)colors.

sandman3.jpg

sandman2.jpg
Really appreciate it, going to pick up the Deluxe version on Comixology then.

Oct 25, 2017
I knew about the comics but never read them so I went into this pretty blind. I watched the first half of the season and I am loving it.

Oct 29, 2017
Done with Episode 5, the diner was really tame compared to the source material and it really dragged. Kinda lame they barely did anything with the TV news too. I was surprised that they faithfully did this :

1*iZBsy77aWiLwfqbT5isfhA.png

Not the best episode tho, and I really prefer the weirdo Dee from the comics. Ranking:

4>1>3>5>2

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Just finished episode 5.

Thank you, as a queer person, for removing something from the comic. Still a very dark and horrible scenerio.

Going to watch episode 6 and then save the rest for tomorrow.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Episode 5 was great but I thought 6 was even better.
Apparently some people feel it is a bit disconnected because it's two different stories put in the same episode but I thought it worked pretty well as someone without previous knowledge of the stories.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
Episode 5 was great but I thought 6 was even better.
Apparently some people feel it is a bit disconnected because it's two different stories put in the same episode but I thought it worked pretty well as someone without previous knowledge of the stories.
I just finished episode 6 myself and have to agree. Episode 6 was incredible, both were amazing but 6 was somehow better to me.

Oct 29, 2017
Episode 6 was pretty good, helps that the source are two pretty great issues. The actress from Death did a pretty nice job, so did the guy who was Hob in this.

Ranking:

6>4>1>3>5>2

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The early reviews I saw criticized Sandman for being too faithful. I'm through episode one and...nah, it's not that faithful, actually. They've nailed some key moments, but there's a ton of changes. I'm not saying they're bad or good. Just that they happened so I'm wondering why they're acting like the faithfulness hurt the story.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Got through ep6 now.

I think it's a fine adaptation but by god does it feel like a disneyfied/santized version of the first volume of the comic. Especially ep5. Like yeah it's got gore and violence but it's missing the stomach-churning psychologically disturbing elements which is a bummer.

Also I think they super fucked up doing one element of ep5
They have the TVs there but they didn't show that what he's doing is going on across the whole world. But you see the aftermath at the end of the ep with Dream on the street. Why didn't they do the segment where the TV reporters start mutilating/killing themselves and report on the massive deaths and destruction going on across the world? Would've taken 3 mins of a few TV background scenes sprinkled in.

Also just a style thing for that ep, but if they're going to kill/mutilate everyone in the diner anyhow and not hold back there, why didn't they just do it like the comic in a more step by step playing with the people way. It's just way less interesting in the TV version. Would've liked to have title cards that said "HOUR 1", etc.. like the comic showing things getting more deranged each hour.

The TV news actually does mention all the worldwide disasters and havoc but it's in the background after the guy gets stabbed in the neck. I wouldn't have caught a word of it if I didn't have subtitles on. I agree I wish they would have gone with the Hourly format like the comic.

Not particularly, no. We don't know the exact rules of the challenge, and even if you could simply start with a "nuke", it would have made for a pretty boring event to watch. Also, while I don't know if this is actually an intentional reference, some are saying Gwendoline Christie turned into a dire wolf as a Game of Thrones Easter egg.

Folklore tie-in:
"The Oldest Game" is based on a recurring story in Norwegian and Germanic folklore. Called the "transformation chase", also shows up in a Brothers Grimm story about a pair of sisters trying to outwit a pursuer.

There is a kind of rule to the chase. The character who represents the victim, innocent, or vulnerable, initially disguises themselves as the most inconsequential of things, in the hopes their pursuer will not notice them. As the pursuer figures out each disguise they either apply the appropriate tool or weapon to pierce it, or change into a thematic counter.

The gist of the story is usually to show the seemingly weaker party, always running away, is manipulating the pursuer. Every new disguise is an escalation - until the chase reaches the point that the adversary is humbled by realizing they are in fact smaller than their intended victim. Or until the victim has gotten them to walk into a trap that will cripple or kill them.

For instance, the Grimm story ends with the adversary guessing wrong about which of the two sisters is disguised as what, allowing the girl to push 'em into a lake to drown.

Last edited:

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Just watched the first episode due to all the hype. Posted in another thread it's the first original series I've had interest in from Netflix since early Stranger Things and House of Cards.

Gotta say... episode 1 was... fine. Didn't really impress me, and was hoping for some big reveal at the end of the episode to bring it all together and it's clearly just table dressing right now.

Will watch episode 2 tomorrow - the "this season on Sandman" preview at the end of the first episode had enough imagery and ideas to get me to come back.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished episode 3, I absolutely love the vibes of this show, hope it continues like this. Also constantine is just great, love that character, does she have any relation to the constantines from DC comics or just a reference?

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Just finished episode 3, I absolutely love the vibes of this show, hope it continues like this. Also constantine is just great, love that character, does she have any relation to the constantines from DC comics or just a reference?
Johanna Constantine is John Constantine's ancestor in the comics. In this universe there is just Johanna, as far as we know.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile

in the comics that character was "the" John Constantine

sandman-hellblazer.jpg

Then again that first arc of the comic books was filled with DC characters cameos or appearances. The series kinda drifted apart from that as it went on but it still heavily featured some... lesser known DC characters in, at least, supporting roles. One of them was pretty damn major, I'd say.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Wow Episode 6 was my favorite so far, I've liked them all but I felt they really nailed the adaptation. Helps I love the Hob story so much.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
So got a question, about Dreams imprisonment and other endless.
If Dreams and Death have such a good relationship, why would no one free dreams? I might have missed it in general given how Dreams said none of them came to his aid. The other part was when he said Destiny, Death and Dreams would have to be fought if Desire wanted to fight back, which makes me wonder about allegiances in general

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
So got a question, about Dreams imprisonment and other endless.
If Dreams and Death have such a good relationship, why would no one free dreams? I might have missed it in general given how Dreams said none of them came to his aid. The other part was when he said Destiny, Death and Dreams would have to be fought if Desire wanted to fight back, which makes me wonder about allegiances in general
Now that is a very good question. I would be willing to bet it will be addressed.

All will be addressed just be patient.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Really liked ep7!

I have a feeling I'm gonna enjoy their take on vol.2 more than vol.1, though the more I think about it the more I liked 1-6 even if it's different than the comics. The excellent actors really help sell it. The guy who plays John Dee does an incredible job.