• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Certainly one of my favorite comic book series, ever, but it would take a miracle for this to turn out well.

That being said, we did just have a near-perfect season of Watchmen, so maybe we'll get lucky again.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Death is the sweetest person you will ever know in Sandman universe. She is your biggest friend, the first person you met when entering this world and also the last one (yes, she is both Birth and Death). From all the Endless, she is the one that cares the most for all things.

(And yes, she is also hot - but never portrayed sexy).

I hadn't considered that she was also birth. I'll have to pay closer attention on my next try.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh... Death is female:

tumblr_llat7zQkPF1qhc137o1_400.jpg

Nevermind, you're talking about Dream, aren't you? Too old.

Hell, I have no idea who they should cast as Dream. No one I know fits the bill. That's why I was in the camp that this should be an animated series.

I kinda liked when Joseph Gordon-Levitt was attached, he'd made a good Dream, like a sort of morose, detached, 90s cool emo guy.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
This thread will eventually get bumped to announce that Bryan Fuller will be show running the Sandman series.

legit the only person that can do this series any justice. Get him and the team of Hannibal/American Gods on this. Give him that Netflix blank check and let it roll.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It could be something extraordinary like the first season of American Gods, but it could be something shit like season 2 of American Gods, which lost everything that made the first one amazing from Gillian Anderson, to the ethereal otherworldly feel, to entire plot points (like Easter since that actress left too).

Last edited:

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After what happened to my beautiful Lucifer, I have doubts as to whether this will end well.

Azzazel

Oct 25, 2017
It could be something extraordinary like the first season of American Gods, but it could be something shit like season 2 of American Gods, which lost everything that made the first one amazing from Gillian Anderson, to the ethereal otherworldly feel, to entire plot points (like Ester since that actress left too).

Ironically, you can thank Gaiman for the season two of American Gods. Apparently he clashed way too much with Fuller about how the show should be adapted.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
WB selling (licensing) it's IP instead of levering it as a marqee show for their own streaming service is about the stupidest decision I've heard all year.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ironically, you can thank Gaiman for the season two of American Gods. Apparently he clashed way too much with Fuller about how the show should be adapted.

Fuller wanted Shadow to get a blowjob from Audrey.

If that's the quality of ideas the showrunners had, it's no wonder they clashed.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It could be something extraordinary like the first season of American Gods, but it could be something shit like season 2 of American Gods, which lost everything that made the first one amazing from Gillian Anderson, to the ethereal otherworldly feel, to entire plot points (like Easter since that actress left too).

It still had Mad Sweeney and Dead Wife. Good enough to keep me watching.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Some news ... not "deserves another thread" news but might be interesting to see

comicbook.com

Neil Gaiman Is Updating the Sandman for the 21st Century on Netflix

Three decades after he first began writing the seminal comic book series The Sandman, Neil Gaiman [...]

About how the tv show will be different

"because doing the Netflix TV series, we're very much looking at that as going, 'Okay, it is 2020, let's say that I was doing Sandman starting in 2020, what would we do? How would we change things? What gender would this character be? Who would this person be? What would be happening?'

about why it took so long to get the greenlight

"For Netflix right now, people have tried making some movies and TV adaptations for 30 years, and actively tried making them for 25 years, and they've never worked," Gaiman says. "And they never worked because of all the special effects and what would be needed to do the special effects. They never worked because you were making something that was adult. People would write Sandman movie scripts, and they go, 'But it's an R-rated movie, and we can't have $100 million R-rated movies.' So, that wouldn't happen. You needed to get to a world in which long-form storytelling is an advantage rather than a disadvantage. And the fact that we have seventy-five issues of Sandman plus -- essentially, 13 full books -- worth of material, is a really good thing. It's not a drawback. It's on our side. And the fact that we're in a world in which we can take things that only existed in comic book art, and that can now exist in reality.

We couldn't have done that, I think even five years ago, definitely not 10 years ago. The technology wasn't there. The budget wasn't there. The audience wasn't there. The delivery systems weren't there. The idea of going off and doing Preludes and Nocturnes and The Doll's House as our first 10 episodes, nobody would've let us do that. The world wasn't ready. So, it's ready now. They caught up with us."

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming services throwing out money like they were toilet paper is probably the best thing to happen to longform story telling in the visual form.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of going off and doing Preludes and Nocturnes and The Doll's House as our first 10 episodes

Both arcs together works well for the return of Morpheus. Although "Sound and Fury" would have been an awesome end of season with "24 hours" as the previous episode.

However 10 episodes for both they may need to drop Death Introduction, Nada story (that could be added to a 2nd season of Mists) and Hob's tale.