• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 29, 2022
Announced at Netflix Geeked 2022 ;D

FUhaPjPWIAInQm0
FUhaP9AXEAALYp5

Bonus: Mark Hamill will be voicing Merv Pumpkinhead in THE SANDMAN

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's looking great. Trying to keep expectations low, though there's just so much talent involved.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Looks really interesting but my god did Twitter do that trailer a disservice lol, the quality kept changing back and forth for me

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Mark Hamill as Merv! HOLY SHIT! Him and Paton Oswalt going at it will something to behold.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
I will not waiver in my belief that this tale would've been FAR better served by a high-quality animated series rather than a live-action one.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Fucking love Sandman, but I can see it being realllllly hard to translate to the screen. Trailer looks decent enough, so we'll just have to see.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Oh man that trailer

Death and Desire look fucking spot on! I wish Morpheus had a larger mane of unkempt hair, you know, like Robert Smith style, but I'm just nitpicking.

PLEASE DON'T SUCK. PLEASE.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I hope that the marketing team is just struggling with how to represent this show because I really don't feel like they've done enough to make it stand out. That was such a bog standard trailer. How is anyone unfamiliar with the source material supposed to know what kind of story this is?

The whole Geeked Week panel seemed misguided. I think that sort of thing needs to be relegated to a comic con panel where they can actually harness the crowd's enthusiasm and energy. In the sterile environment, it really didn't engender any earnest excitement from anyone there.

The Sandman always had the potential to be the next Game of Thrones style crossover hit, but the way it's being marketed so far, I just don't have faith that they are gonna make this into a successful ongoing series.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It looks good so far, that trailer feels like it'd be super confusing for someone who doesn't know what it is though.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Looks good, glad we got a release date finally.

I really hope Coleman nails the character of Constantine properly. As a huge John fan, having her as Johanna is going to be tricky to wrap my head around but I'm open to the change.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I hope that the marketing team is just struggling with how to represent this show because I really don't feel like they've done enough to make it stand out. That was such a bog standard trailer. How is anyone unfamiliar with the source material supposed to know what kind of story this is?

TBF, it's kind of a hard sell. At least the first arc is pretty much gothic horror until issue 8 of the comic but after that it opens up so much it's not easy even as a reader to say "what kind of story" it is. The closest I can think of would be to say "it's a story about stories themselves, how dreams shape them and how stories shape our lives." But I dunno if the "general public" would be down for that, especially if they're wanting some epic, GOT-style kinda shit. And trying to capture that meta feeling on a trailer it's kinda hard... it would have to be presented as more "epic" as it would actually be.

Still, if they manage to secure enough seasons for some of the latter arcs... oh man, I'd love that.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Wait.. Joanna doesn't show up in P&N, does she? I know John does, am I confusing my Constantines?

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Release slate is just stacked. Plenty of stuff to watch now through summer.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so they're replacing John with Johanna. That makes more sense.

I wonder how they'll handle Johanna's original stories, then? Maybe those will have John instead? lol

Edit: nvm, saw the update

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Hmm, I didn't like the trailer's editing and music at all, didn't give the vibe of the comic and possibly misleads newcomers as well. Casting looks good though. Only way to judge this is to watch it. I will say at least this looks more promising than the dumpster fires that were Preacher and Y: The Last Man.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know anything about Sandman and this trailer told me very little. Dude was banished somewhere for some reason by someone I guess? He's back. Back in the mortal world? Back in some other world that decayed while he was gone? Back in both? Who are these other people talking about him? Oh, and he blows sand at people as an attack of some kind (I'm assuming it makes them fall asleep or have a waking nightmare or something).

I thought it looked like a generic fantasy Netflix show and there was very little to get excited about as an outsider. I'm in the "wait & see" demographic. I'll wait until there is a consensus before I dive in. I may even wait until there are a few seasons out before watching just to make sure it doesn't get canceled by Netflix with an unsatisfying ending.

Oct 25, 2017
Never read the comics but it was always on my backlog. This looks amazing, first Netflix original, i've been genuinely excited for in forever.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I don't know anything about Sandman and this trailer told me very little. Dude was banished somewhere for some reason by someone I guess? He's back. Back in the mortal world? Back in some other world that decayed while he was gone? Back in both? Who are these other people talking about him? Oh, and he blows sand at people as an attack of some kind (I'm assuming it makes them fall asleep or have a waking nightmare or something).

without getting into major spoilers (and tbh most of this will probably be covered in the first episode, as it was in the first issue of the comic): the embodiment of Dream was captured by a Aleister Crowley knock-off and his cult in a ritual fuck-up (they wanted to capture the embodiment of Death, instead) and he spent decades in this sort of... magical cage, so to speak. And the consequences of having the actual embodiment of the concept of dreaming and dreams trapped and powerless for such a long time will be explored by the series' early episodes (I assume, as they were by the comic's first couple of issues).

He (Dream, Morpheus, the titular Sandman) belongs to a 'race' of entities that are the embodiment of concepts and they basically govern those concepts. There's also Death, Desire, Despair, Destiny, Delirium (who went by a different name and had a different nature before) and a missing brother who will become kinda relevant later. They're "siblings" and they are called The Endless.