• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably end up owning one of these before the year is over. I've only got about 80GB left on my Switch's 512 GB card.
Makes me wonder if the Switcj revision will support higher than 2TB
That potentially might not even be necessary. They might just need a firmware update. If the SDXC -> SDUC boundry ends up being as artificial as the SDHC -> SDXC one (see SDXC cards on the 3DS, which only officially supports SDHC), they might not even need that.

Before anyone says anything, a SDUC card on a SDHC device probably isn't ever going to provide meaningful utility, as FAT32 maxes out at 2TB volumes.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Exactly as I predicted; flash memory price goes down too quickly. Hardware manufacturers would be insane to release next gen consoles with optical discs again (which are pretty useless this gen) and huge hard drives; better to have games on cards and micro SD as storage memory.

My Switch has a 32 GB micro SD; will be upgrading soon to 256 or even more GB. This is amazing; in 3-4 years, 2 TB (or more) will be completely affordable.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
This thing costs more than the most top of the line 1tb NVME drive, and I don't honestly know how I'd fill up all that space with my phone. I don't have anywhere close to that amount of music even if they were all uncompressed WAVs.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
This thing costs more than the most top of the line 1tb NVME drive, and I don't honestly know how I'd fill up all that space with my phone. I don't have anywhere close to that amount of music even if they were all uncompressed WAVs.

There are plenty of places besides Phones that could use a 1TB micro sd.

Like i would love one of there is a surface to store my movie/anime collection.
Much easier than having a 1tb external ssd/hdd.
And as many said that pricetag will be much Lower after a year or two.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
That is incredibly reasonable, but way outside of what I'm willing to pay. But the higher space gets the cheaper the lower space gets.

Doing some math this card would need to cost 200$ to have the same GB/$ ratio as the 400 gb card and 180 to get the same gb/$ ratio as the cheapest cards(32gb at 11$).
Its actually a better starting point at 450 $ than what the 400 started of at.

Launch for 400 was 250, so 1.6 gb per $.
Its now at 400 for 80$, so 5gb per $.
Launch for 1000 is 450, so 2.22 GB per $.
Lowest capacity is 32 GB at 11$, so 5.8 GB per $.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I'm amazed by how small most Switch games are. It's absolute wizardry. I'm only about halfway into my 128 GB card.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
For those wondering, a typical SDXC card is the equivalent to the eMMC storage on the slowest Microsoft Surface device available.

That potentially might not even be necessary. They might just need a firmware update. If the SDXC -> SDUC boundry ends up being as artificial as the SDHC -> SDXC one (see SDXC cards on the 3DS, which only officially supports SDHC), they might not even need that.

Well I'm pretty sure you'd just be using exFAT on SDUC, which covers us up to 128 petabytes, but yeah, it already looks clear that SDUC performance targets won't be met and at best we'll just see a smooth increase at scale over SDXC.

Not very scientific comparison:
  • Seagate Barracuda (HDD, 2016) 160MB/s read, 130MB/s write
  • Samsung EVO 512GB MicroSDXC 100MB/s read, 90MB/s write
  • Samsung 850 SSD: 550MB/s read, 550MB/s write
The exciting thing about SDUC is that it dumps UHS-3 for SD Express, a new NVME bus mode, which supports up to 985MB/s. Even if it never reaches a fraction of that, there's solid potential for future SD cards to gain heavily in latency reduction and small reads which could make them feasible standard drives for small devices...if the longevity thing is figured out.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the shelf life for data sitting on flash memory like this? I could potentially see some awesome archival uses for tiny cards with this much memory.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Memory, when a new iteration, is generally $0.50/GB. Essentially, the price at launch should be:

64GB: $32
128GB: $64
256GB: $128
512GB: $256
1TB: $512

$450 is a "decent starting price". Means it'll drop to $250 by 2020.
Worth noting that SanDisk's 400GB card started at $250. So in comparison we got from $0.62 per GB to $0.45.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
These drop pretty quick. I have a 400gb card. When I first saw them on Amazon (around the time the Switch released) they must have been around $250, I got one on Black Friday for $79.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Memory, when a new iteration, is generally $0.50/GB. Essentially, the price at launch should be:

64GB: $32
128GB: $64
256GB: $128
512GB: $256
1TB: $512

$450 is a "decent starting price". Means it'll drop to $250 by 2020.

Going from $512 to $450 doesn't make this SD card "pretty cheap". Not as expensive as expected is a more accurate description.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Out of the box, you can only use Vita's propriertary cards, but these days you can hack your Vita to use SD cards instead.

Don't know if you can still safely open the PS Store once you've hacked your Vita, though.
That's assuming that Sony cares what you do with your Vita at this point...

But yeah, it's neat that you can use old SD card.
1980 $.

Comes with a foldable Nokia phone too.
MSRP of the 32GB card was $80 at last I think so were talking about $2500 with the same GB per dollar ratio.
Both of these sound about right. lol

Jan 17, 2019
Exactly as I predicted; flash memory price goes down too quickly. Hardware manufacturers would be insane to release next gen consoles with optical discs again (which are pretty useless this gen) and huge hard drives; better to have games on cards and micro SD as storage memory.

My Switch has a 32 GB micro SD; will be upgrading soon to 256 or even more GB. This is amazing; in 3-4 years, 2 TB (or more) will be completely affordable.

Yes, prices goes down. But how about performance for flash drives? Sandisk's MicroSD Extreme Pro cards barely can hit 90MB/s. Maybe that speed is enough for Switch games, but for PS4/XOne games or for next-gen is slow. Bigger SD cards ( like for digital cameras ) with ~300MB/s are much better surely, but they are goddamn expensive.

Last edited:

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I'm seeing this and wondering when Apple will finally reduce the price they charge for increased memory models of their phones.

Never, it's never.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
All of my switch games still fit on me 128GB SD card luckily, by the game that's full this has been decreased in price probably. ;p

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I remember buying a 4GB HDD for U$100 and a friend asking me "Why do you need that much space?".

Technology sure changes fast

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These will drop like a rock over time. The 400GB Sandisk MicroSD used to be well above $150 and it's currently going for roughly a little more than what I paid for from a 200GB Sandisk MicroSD in 2017 (200GB was going for $60-$70 in early to mid-2017).

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also for fun, remember when 256MB SD cards were a big deal? Sandisk launched the 256MB SD card at the competitive low price of $199 in 2002.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/8459108692/sandisk256mbsd

CES 2002: SanDisk has today announced the latest step forward for the MMC/SD format, a 256 MB SD card. This new card uses a 1-Gigabit NAND flash storage chip. "The SD Card is a flash memory storage device with built-in security functions designed to facilitate the secure exchange of content between devices and the card. It is 32 millimeters (mm) long, 24mm wide and 2.1mm thick. More than 100 products with slots for the card have been introduced. " It should be available "first quarter" and will be priced at a competitive $199.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
For some reason I really want to build a NAS (disk storage server) using a mini computer like Raspberry Pi with several SD cards, or at least SSDs. I feel like it would be much cheaper and more cost effective than having several giant disk drives running 24/7.

I guess this is one step closer to that dream...

Grand Staff

Oct 28, 2017
remember when 1GB was this expensive?

i don't. hopefully this will be $30 in a not so distant future.

Hey, I remember going to a store (Walmart, if I'm right) years ago to pick up a 32MB flash drive for around $30! I still use it, actually.

It is crazy how cheap these little things are, though.