• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey question: does this necessarily mean that all colleges would now be free? Or is the idea cancel all debt before this day... and all future debt accrued from people starting to go to college will just start US on a track to 1.6 trillion again?

Not at all, this plan is for getting rid of debt, and convincing state schools to be tuition free. Not for total free ride to college.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, why not look at paying everyone in America a lump sum? That seems like it would benefit those with loans, those that paid them off, and those that never went to school because they didn't want the debt. Let's peg it to the average student loan debt.

This seems like a bandaid that doesn't actually attack a structural issue, which is odd coming from the Sanders camp.
You can't pay them a lump sum because, these are loans from the government. The only thing that the government can do it cancel them. What you are asking them to do is to give the people the money to pay off the loans, that they would collect. It's convoluted.

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
Right. But if someone has been busting their ass for 20 years to pay off their loans, they've busted their ass more than someone that just graduated.

Everyone deserves a piece of the pie.
Not everyone can get a piece, though. If this country was interested in fair compensation for all then Black people would've had their 40 acres by now.

People who've paid back student loans seem pretty damn low on the list of people who've been shafted by this country and made to suck it up, all things considered.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I paid mine off and STILL want this for other people. For the squad!

For real. We have nothing to really sorry about with my wife's loans. Paid the first one off (less than 2k), the 2nd one is going to be forgiven, and the 3rd my Mother in Law is in charge of, plus she's still currently in her master's program so we're paying tuition but I would love for all student debt to go away forever and never return.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Does Bernie's free university plan allow a 40+ year old with a paid off B.A. go back for a free Master's Degree at the same state university?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As for "what will this do for the economy", consider it a stimulus for the lower/middle class. People will buy more stuff, maybe a house, maybe a car, maybe start a family, etc, all the things they were disincentivized from doing when they had massive student loans that was sucking up all their disposable income.

Also the avocado toast industry will boom, buy your avocado stock now.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Blue wave proved that this country is going left and never looking back. Conservatives are literally starting to die out. If a Republican president ever wins again, it will be decades from when now the Republicans finally get on board with this whole basic human rights thing.

I'll bet you $1,000 we'll have another republican within the next three elections.

To say there won't ever be another one (for a long time) at least, is foolish.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
decisions and choices made at 16-18 years old after years of people telling you you need to get a degree to get a good job. Only to find out the degree to get said job is way more than what the job pays.

It's a good thing this plan addresses that. Oh wait, no it doesn't. Even if state tuition becomes free, young people are still going to be bombarded by talking heads saying that private education is more valued and worth it, or incentivized to take out student loans for cost of living/books/etc. There is no education part of this bill or even a proposal to change the system, it's basically just covering up the cost. Unless I missed something crucial here.

Even worse, young people are still going to be bombarded by credit card offers as well. Like we can't say that 16-17 year olds shouldn't be making decisions about massive amounts of money and then just give them the money to cover it and expect anything to change.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
If they said 'anyone that has paid loans in the last 20 years' gets reimbursed, you'd probably see wider adoption. I mean it's already buying votes but this would take care of the entire spectrum of the industry getting out of control.

That said, it would give me $50k, maybe more and I'd still be against it.
Most people with a student loan are going to be for it. Obviously. They'll say anything, do anything, and support anything that results in them getting thousands of dollars. It's going to be an extremely biased opinion from them. I don't blame having that opinion when it's such a huge benefit for them.

This program just seems to affect a small percentage of the population. Not the people who couldn't afford to go to college in the first place or just chose not to because it was a poor financial decision. Not the people who chose a cheaper community college route. Not the people who spent 20+ years struggling to pay off their debt. When I see the "fuck them, I'm gonna get mine" attitude, it just screams entitled. Student loans are a financial debt decision that they made, like millions of others before them. Everybody has to take responsibility for their own financial decisions and not get a free ride. Everybody.

The argument that it would help the economy is valid no matter who gets the money to spend. Of course it would, but why should wealth distribution be restricted to college students? Why are they special? There are plenty of low income people who would greatly benefit more than college kids with a degree.
If trillions is going towards something, it probably shouldn't go to any type of handout. There are so many better social programs it could help. Tax breaks for those who really need it. The homeless. Improving the healthcare system. That would be a lot more beneficial than a handout to few people who made a poor financial decision.

Fix the system. Prevent young people from making those bad student loan decisions. Maybe even go for that free education plan for future generations. Look forward, not back. Debt forgiveness for a small percentage of the population is not fair. What's done is done. Everybody has had to deal with their debt decisions. Improve the future instead of applying a bandaid to the past, especially when that bandaid only helps a few people and not the people who really need it.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
If the argument ever becomes "I paid mine off so can you" you're a piece of shit. Plain and simple. More money in the pockets of Americans is never a bad thing. Instead of holding people hostage for higher education, we should promote the pursuit for knowledge. It's absolutely ridiculous that student loans aren't affected by going bankrupt. It's robbery. Fuck you got mine is a pitiful shitty argument. Rip the bandaid off and forgive the debts, who cares if someone paid off their shit yesterday. There's people who make an active choice to not go to school because of the horror stories of Student loans.

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
$900 a month between my wife and myself. This would change our lives and our children's lives more then anything else I could think of. I would vote for this over any other thing.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
How does this make the overall economy better? Especially if the first thing that will happen after this debt is cleared is that the same people will pile up new debt?

yeah but what do you think that debt will be? cars, houses, home goods? those are good for the economy.
chipping away at a predatory interest rate given by a private lender which has climbed north of 10% does not really benefit anyone but the lender, and it's on a product that was sold a long time ago at an over inflated price so nothing of value is changing hands. There are many people in their late 20's with more debt than when they graduated because of insane interest rates, allowing them to spend again is a net gain.

People buying things - anything - is good for the economy, because it is a capitalist economy which cannot stagnate for any length of time without falling apart. perpetual growth is essential.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
No you're not! Suck it up and move on.
I can say the same and use the same argument if you are paying your loans. Suck it up and move on.

That's not going to convince people. Bernie is going nowhere so this is going nowhere but at least there's some good discussion on how outrageous college costs are.

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
This is bullshit, instead of giving away free money, fix the god damn system. There should be a cap to debt one individual can go based on which degree they are getting and median salary for those graduates. So you don't end up with $50k debt doing political science

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
There is really no other worthy candidate except Bernie and Warren. None. Voting for Biden is like voting for a democratic version of Trump - he is creepy, corrupt and gross.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If the argument ever becomes "I paid mine off so can you" you're a piece of shit. Plain and simple. More money in the pockets of Americans is never a bad thing. Instead of holding people hostage for higher education, we should promote the pursuit for knowledge. It's absolutely ridiculous that student loans aren't affected by going bankrupt. It's robbery. Fuck you got mine is a pitiful shitty argument. Rip the bandaid off and forgive the debts, who cares if someone paid off their shit yesterday. There's people who make an active choice to not go to school because of the horror stories of Student loans.

And those people who made that choice gain nothing.

It's interesting how "FU got (or getting) mine" is used as an argument on both sides here.

Those who are in line to get a payout are saying it to the people who didn't.

Take debt forgiveness off the table and we can talk about education of minors having to make that decision, an investigation into why college costs are rising so much, a discussion about making student debt forgiveable again, and most of us would be on the same side. But the debt forgiveness is polarizing and it will be as long as both sides call the other side selfish without looking in the mirror.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I did and I will, I'm not the one whining.
Good for you. I still want my money back if this ever passes (Pro tip: it won't).

This is just a bandaid to the real problem which is why fucking college studies aren't free or like 95% cheaper. Whatever reform happens needs to include some sort of pricing control for college or just straight out free education.

Oct 31, 2017
Sanders is proposing the federal government pay to wipe clean the student debt held by 45 million Americans — including all private and graduate school debtas part of a package that also would make public universities, community colleges and trade schools tuition-free.
Private and graduate? okay, let's get this DONE!

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Good for you. I still want my money back if this ever passes (Pro tip: it won't).

This is just a bandaid to the real problem which is why fucking college studies aren't free or like 95% cheaper. Whatever reform happens needs to include some sort of pricing control for college or just straight out free education.
Here is another pro-tip: If it's not passing then stop crying because you won't be impacted anyway.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most people with a student loan are going to be for it. Obviously. They'll say anything, do anything, and support anything that results in them getting thousands of dollars. It's going to be an extremely biased opinion from them. I don't blame having that opinion when it's such a huge benefit for them.

This program just seems to affect a small percentage of the population. Not the people who couldn't afford to go to college in the first place or just chose not to because it was a poor financial decision. Not the people who chose a cheaper community college route. Not the people who spent 20+ years struggling to pay off their debt. When I see the "fuck them, I'm gonna get mine" attitude, it just screams entitled. Student loans are a financial debt decision that they made, like millions of others before them. Everybody has to take responsibility for their own financial decisions and not get a free ride. Everybody.

The argument that it would help the economy is valid no matter who gets the money to spend. Of course it would, but why should wealth distribution be restricted to college students? Why are they special? There are plenty of low income people who would greatly benefit more than college kids with a degree.
If trillions is going towards something, it probably shouldn't go to any type of handout. There are so many better social programs it could help. Tax breaks for those who really need it. The homeless. Improving the healthcare system. That would be a lot more beneficial than a handout to few people who made a poor financial decision.

Fix the system. Prevent young people from making those bad student loan decisions. Maybe even go for that free education plan for future generations. Look forward, not back. Debt forgiveness for a small percentage of the population is not fair. What's done is done. Everybody has had to deal with their debt decisions. Improve the future instead of applying a bandaid to the past, especially when that bandaid only helps a few people and not the people who really need it.

100%

The system is flawed but it's working for a lot of people. The debt is largely manageable - $29k average. They put in some changes, alleviate interest and cap it/put in thresholds - the system would likely, effectively work.

You call a group of people 'pieces of shit' for not wanting to give a group free money and then make a 'who cares' argument about their livelihood. I can't even, lol.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017

It's interesting how "FU got (or getting) mine" is used as an argument on both sides here.

Take debt forgiveness off the table and we can talk about education of minors having to make that decision, an investigation into why college costs are rising so much, a discussion about making student debt forgiveable again, and most of us would be on the same side. But the debt forgiveness is polarizing and it will be as long as both sides call the other side selfish without looking in the mirror.
costs are rising because states are decreasing funding for universities. As they know that students can take that money from the fed.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is all really quite simple. All you have to do is cancel the debt and raise a free taxes here and there. Let the military budget by a percent out two and it'll even itself out.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My wife currently pays 1550/class for her master's. Was yours in the same ballpark? And what was your major?
I don't quite remember the class cost as it was years ago now. But the cost added up over getting undergrad then grad degrees. We should be done paying by the mid to end of 2020 no matter who's elected. We also make much more money than we did when we started school.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
For real. We have nothing to really sorry about with my wife's loans. Paid the first one off (less than 2k), the 2nd one is going to be forgiven, and the 3rd my Mother in Law is in charge of, plus she's still currently in her master's program so we're paying tuition but I would love for all student debt to go away forever and never return.
My wife's PhD is still hanging out there but she's working the public service forgiveness plan and actually staying on top of it.

I don't understand being upset about this if you've already paid yours off. Well, I get it but it's a terrible way to think about this.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Is that really why costs have risen astronomically? Why is private tuition so high?
It's a good portion of the reason. As for private tuition, as far as I know they don't receive state subsidies. Which is why they are generally higher, their money comes from donations and tuition. So if they are high it's generally because they can get away with it.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
If the argument ever becomes "I paid mine off so can you" you're a piece of shit. Plain and simple. More money in the pockets of Americans is never a bad thing. Instead of holding people hostage for higher education, we should promote the pursuit for knowledge. It's absolutely ridiculous that student loans aren't affected by going bankrupt. It's robbery. Fuck you got mine is a pitiful shitty argument. Rip the bandaid off and forgive the debts, who cares if someone paid off their shit yesterday. There's people who make (editor: made) an active choice to not go to school because of the horror stories of Student loans.

And those people wouldn't benefit from this plan. This plan leaves those behind and just benefits those who made potentially more risky decisions to take on the debt.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll bet you $1,000 we'll have another republican within the next three elections.

To say there won't ever be another one (for a long time) at least, is foolish.
The same thing was literally being said leading up to Trump in the previous election on the old site.

And those people wouldn't benefit from this plan. This plan leaves those behind and just benefits those who made potentially more risky decisions to take on the debt.
How wouldnt they, the plan is to make tuition free moving forward not just forgiving debt. Those people would then have the opportunity to go to school debt free just like everyone that is getting bailed out.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
How is this possible? Why would you take out such big loans unless it was law school or medical school?

Depending on where you go, Law/Med is even more than that - I have MD friends who have 10-year plans with over 3000 a month, and pharmacists with ~1800 (or more).

Granted, some of them maybe took out more than they needed to, or didn't have good scholarships, etc... but when loans are 175K or up, your monthly payment can get that high real easy. They may make a bunch (moreso the MDs), but it's still a lot of money to repay - especially when grad plus loans generate interest while in school.

I'm still of the same opinion I was in the Warren thread - it would be an immense help to me, but as someone who focused throwing every last dollar for the last year or so on loans, it's a little bit of a kick to the teeth - but I'd gladly take it on the chin in hindsight to be rid of the debt - it would definitely lead to me spending a fair bit more per month.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I was all ready to respond saying "this will never make it through Congress," but apparently the President could make this happen without Congress? Pretty wild. Not sure how I feel about it. I have significant student debt, so I would stand to benefit, but not sure what kind of message this sends...

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

I was thinking the same thing as I read through the thread. For a site full of people who hate the "fuck you I got mine" mentality we sure are seeing a lot of "Life isn't fair", "Suck it up" type responses to those who wouldn't benefit from this coming from those who would benefit from this.

It's quite amazing.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
I was all ready to respond saying "this will never make it through Congress," but apparently the President could make this happen without Congress? Pretty wild. Not sure how I feel about it. I have significant student debt, so I would stand to benefit, but not sure what kind of message this sends...
The only message it would send is, 'Hey, the system is crumbling around us'.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, it's the same basic concept as "The Department of Treasury could just print more money to pay off all of our debt". It's theoretically possible, but nothing but a payout without structural reforms. And those seem almost impossible in the state-run structure.