• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you agree with Sanders' potentially legally dubious approach to using budget reconciliation?

• Yes

Votes: 683 97.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 13 1.8%

• Total voters

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Don't reach out at all, pass everything through budget reconciliation that's even remotely plausible, make those fuckers eat dirt and cry forever.
Yeah, "Here's what we're gonna do. Either you vote in support of it or don't and we run against your vote in a couple years"

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
rjuJiwV.jpg

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, "Here's what we're gonna do. Either you vote in support of it or don't and we run against your vote in a couple years"
This the energy they must have. We do not have any time to be played around with some moderate darling trying to feel cute and neuter shit that can't afford to be underwhelming.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Biden won the presidency.

Sanders now ought to have carte blanche to do whatever the fuck he wants as far as I'm concerned.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie, as is customary, is on the pulse of what people really want.

Stop trying to "unite" with white supremacists by giving into them, and getting duped. Pass your stuff, gain power, and don't be apologetic about it.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The GOP have used reconcilation bills during the Trump administration for a swath of issues. What specific bills are being proposed that the Republicans haven't already done themselves?

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
There was a correspondent on NPR that was whining about trying to get everything possible in the time they have as it would seem like a smash and grab. I sat there listening like, some progressives still want to play footsies with the fucking GOP, are you serious right now?

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The GOP have used reconcilation bills during the Trump administration for a swath of issues. What specific bills are being proposed that the Republicans haven't already done themselves?

Emergency Universal Healthcare might be considered a bit of a stretch.

"Legally dubious" op is totally not biased

LMAO

Check my post history if you think I'm biased against Sanders. I can guarantee you that several people on this forum would argue that I'm biased in favor of him. Wording aside, I was trying to be objective and provide context within limited space. Sorry if it came across the wrong way.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is another potential path that could have far reaching consequences. As President of the Senate, Kamala Harris could reject any objections to bills that don't technically fall under the budget reconciliation purview. Some would call it the real nuclear option and a far more dangerous one than merely nuking the filibuster. It's unclear if Harris intends to take that approach though, but in concert with Sanders it would make her quite powerful.
Having Harris serve as a barrier to "Vote-A-Rama" would be a badass move. One that the R's can't spin as easy as a vote against a poison pill amendment.

Its certainly risky, but since "Vote-A-Rama" really harms Dems, I think its a wise play.

Also, the R's tried to undo the ACA via reconciliation (literally via Obamacare Repeal Reconciliation Act), might as well try to expand it via reconciliation too, but to your point, it really drives home how fragile healthcare legislation could be.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Budget reconciliation abuse is the second least likely way around the filibuster and it has always been such, imo. I'm not sure why Bernie's stuck on that, and I'm not sure why people cheer that as a particularly good suggestion. I mean, budget reconciliation was likely to be used at least once before the current situation, but... Biden, even during the primary, had suggested the most likely way: changing the filibuster rule so it can't be used to indefinitely block bills. It gives cover to those that are against abolishing it and allows any type of bill to pass without having to worry about court challenges nearly as much.

Either way, if McConnell keeps up blocking people from being appointed to committees, then I think an outright filibuster nuke is probably going to happen, and before his stunt I'd say that's the least likely scenario.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"Legally dubious" op is totally not biased
Emergency Universal Healthcare might be considered a bit of a stretch.
Check my post history if you think I'm biased against Sanders. I can guarantee you that several people on this forum would argue that I'm biased in favor of him. Wording aside, I was trying to be objective and provide context within limited space. Sorry if it came across the wrong way.
OP isn't biased, he's concerned. The ACA has stood up to a series of legal challenges, but none of them was if the bill was passed properly.

Had the Obamacare Repeal Reconciliation Act (ORRA) passed it would have been challenged in courts as a miss-use of reconciliation. Now I don't think that would have won out at the Supreme Court*, but thats a process without a sure outcome. That could and will also be true if the ACA is modified via reconciliation. Its a risk.

* The entire reconciliation concept was an invention of congress, any attempt to subvert/change it by passing a bill that skirts the official limits may not trigger response by the SC, because its Congress deciding its own rules. Even so, I expect lower level courts may rule against any ACA exemptions via reconciliation, so AVA ends up in limbo while it works through he courts. This is real how the sausage is made stuff.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think Bernie's in a more valuable role now than if he'd been made secretary of labor.
Definitely. Though the idea of Bernie and Warren in cabinet positions was one birthed of a vision of Democrats taking back a solid majority in the senate. With a tie-breaking majority, all those options were taken off the table.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
After the last 4 years, fuck it, fuck em. Lets get it done. With or without the GOP.

It's about things that will actually help us, the people. Not just big corporations.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
legally dubious? the senate sets its own rules. Do you think the courts are going to intervene? as long as it's a majority of senators present and there is a least 50present. If the GOP objected then the dems who would just change the rules with a majority

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like this thread tried to throw some shade at Sanders based on the poll wording and it completely backfired.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Bernie is just too based

Hope all the neoliberals sharing memes about him on social media are willing to engage with his platform

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Bernie is just too based

Hope all the neoliberals sharing memes about him on social media are willing to engage with his platform
I mean if your thinking is he's going to use it to get M4A and GND on Biden's desk, you might want to adjust your expectations. He's largely been pushing for the same stuff that Biden has.

Bernie's actually pretty well-versed in the restraints of reconciliation and what they can or can't include - I remember him convincing the parliamentarian to chop off a number of provisions in the ACA repeal bill the GOP tried to shove through. The fact that they're including the $15 minimum wage in this bill suggests they think they have a case for its inclusion, although like has been pointed out, nothing is stopping the VP from overruling the parliamentarian, either.

Last edited:

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a really hard time worrying about claims of hypocrisy or working against the will of the people from Republicans who make a habit of going back on their word and literally tried to overthrow the government.

Miss me with all the crocodile tears GOP.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Remember the despair election night? Now we got Biden in the WH, a majority in both chambers, and bernie gets to spike bills with delicious progressive items.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
I view this as a backup plan if nuking the filibuster doesn't happen. It's good that Bernie has the chair and will try to jam things through, but it's a lot messier and time consuming to do pass stuff this way.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Glad to have you back brainchild!

Give em hell Bernie!
Aye no lie, having brainchild back makes me more willing to engage in era again. :)

♥️

I mean if your thinking is he's going to use it to get M4A and GND on Biden's desk, you might want to adjust your expectations. He's largely been pushing for the same stuff that Biden has.

Bernie's actually pretty well-versed in the restraints of reconciliation and what they can or can't include - I remember him convincing the parliamentarian to chop off a number of provisions in the ACA repeal bill the GOP tried to shove through. The fact that they're including the $15 minimum wage in this bill suggests they think they have a case for its inclusion, although like has been pointed out, nothing is stopping the VP from overruling the parliamentarian, either.

All facts.

Despite his ideologically "leftist" rhetoric, Bernie has always been pretty pragmatic as an elected official behind closed doors (he just doesn't market himself as a pragmatist).

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I've been seeing this thread, but didn't notice the op until now when I just glanced at the avatar, and was like, "Oh wait, brainchild is back?"

When did you get back? :D

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's like stepping into the twilight zone whenever I see someone suggest I have a negative slant against Bernie, hahaha.
Count me as a third vouching for your Bernie love.

...though you failed to catch the Miis in Breath of the Wild connection, so you're dead to me. 😛

Slightly more on topic, I can't fucking stand any rhetoric about Democrats needing to be bipartisan or reach across the aisle. The GOP literally encouraged an armed insurrection! They are the ones who need to "reach across the aisle" groveling for forgiveness.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Good. Democrats have been needed to move on from the "introduce good legislation that gets watered down severely until it's shit" for the sake of being able to say they 'reached across the aisle'

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Dana Bash repeatedly accuses Sanders (starting at 3:46) of being a hypocrite for alluding to abusing the budget reconciliation process despite lambasting republicans for doing the same thing.

Thing is, I have no objection with the accusation of hypocrisy, but what was she actually hoping to accomplish by doing that? It just seems like another one of those CNN "both sides" moments that really was a waste of time.