• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Seems they likely hired him over things like this

And didn't check his old tweets.

The alt-right rag looks to be looking for an angle on his views on Palestine probably not that they care about the other problematic tweets.

3DkggIc.png

Just fire him and check tweets in the future. Obviously going forward liking Bernies policies might now mean you support what Darius said.
Yeah like it seems like the dude has evolved and is much better on these issues now but the fact the campaign failed to catch it and the fact that he didn't do a boilerplate "I apologize for what I said in the past, I've changed since then and realize how harmful it was and haven't repeated the behavior etc. etc." Is frustrating.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol @ the "of course" in that tweet

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Yeah like it seems like the dude has evolved and is much better on these issues now but the fact the campaign failed to catch it and the fact that he didn't do a boilerplate "I apologize for what I said in the past, I've changed since then and realize how harmful it was and haven't repeated the behavior etc. etc." Is frustrating.

The right-wing isn't looking for that, they want to grind an axe against all Democrats and specifically in this case because someone dared to criticise Israel. Thinking that the website who broke this gives a shit about slurs or bad language is far too optimistic.

Some of the left-wing would accept it (a sincere apology and a track record proving change), but many just want to grind-axes too because they don't like Bernie and want another candidate to win the nomination.

Undoubtedly whoever hires needs to do a better job of going on Twitter and Ctrl-Fing every candidate profile for tweets from years ago.

Welcome to politics in 2019, there is very little honesty and lots of games getting played.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
neither?

I can't speak for them, but for myself personally, what I'm saying is that this reminds me of the james gunn controversy. like, eerily similar. some alt-right asshole dredges up some shit from a decade ago to "own the libs", and the left goes with it because they're unwilling to stand up for their own and get behind the idea that people can change and move past who they used to be.

I don't think that twitter user is alt-right or a conservative writer (their twitter makes that... pretty clear), but I am saying that there are lots of people out there willing to be useful pawns of alt-right shit-stirrers if it's against someone they don't like
It's not on us to fix someone's past views And let them slide even if they don't. He should have addressed it in the past decade himself. Hell, in the past day.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
lol @ the "of course" in that tweet
It is a little silly and then you realize that his campaign does actually have a history of hiring some pretty shitty people and then firing them afterwards or sticking by them so 🤷‍♂️

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Do people purposely go back 10 years in people's tweets because they know they wll find shit that does not fly today?

This tells me they haven't found anything damning enough to screen shot from 2013-2019 sooo maybe he grew up? I don't say or do the things I did in the late 90's for example.

I find it hard to believe that the staffers of all these canidates are some high honor roll angels that aren't guilty of saying things that would not fly today a decade ago.

I would say hey maybe he changed but we will never know because he nuked his account.

You can hear the language he used in hip Hop artist interviews back in the day. "Jew money" sounds like some shit 50 Cent would say. Like I guess that's why it's not shocking to me. Being in those circles back then like....it just what the language was and now it's not that. Like is it reprehensible language? Absolutely sure but it wasn't looked at like that back then, If it was his tweets would have been ratiod to the moon and back.

Last edited:

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do people purposely go back 10 years in people's tweets because they know they wll find shit that does not fly today?

This tells me they haven't found anything damning enough to screen shot from 2013-2019 sooo maybe he grew up? I don't say or do the things I did in the late 90's for example.

I find it hard to believe that the staffers of all these canidates are some high honor roll angels that aren't guilty of saying things that would not fly today a decade ago.

I would say hey maybe he changed but we will never know because he nuked his account.

Two things:

1) Using Google isn't difficult. I'm sure it's not very hard to find his Twitter account
2) All of this could have been avoided if... He just deleted his account prior to taking the job.

The level of incompetence by all parties involved is nothing short of staggering.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
Oh, they fired the shithead racist antisemitic asshole?

Such courage... Apple has a new standard.

How about this: This is further evidence that the campaign doesn't look like it's competent enough to walk and chew gum?

If you're looking for reasons I guess you found another one. Congratulations!

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
This shit would have not have flied 10 years ago either and especially at 22. Glad he was fired and the team needs to do a better job of vetting their staff.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It does kind of suck for people who have matured and evolved on these issues. But... it is what it is.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
It's not on us to fix someone's past views And let them slide even if they don't. He should have addressed it in the past decade himself. Hell, in the past day.

did he not address it with his actions by doing all of this after the tweets?

"Darius plans on bringing his energy and years of experience as a lead organizer for Citizen Action of New York and National Organizer for the Gathering for Justice to the table. Darius first came to New York to serve as African American and Youth director for a State Assembly campaign. When the campaign ended, he began work with the Working Families Canvassing and Fundraising team where he expanded his knowledge and practical skills for electoral and social justice work. In early 2014, Darius started as a community organizer for Citizen Action of New York, working on and winning campaigns such as Fight for $15, paid sick leave, and paid family leave .He has also has victories in the criminal justice field being a member of the Justice League NYC, where they helped get Raise the Age legislation passed in New York state, making now illegal to house 16 and 17 year olds in adult jail and prison facilities."

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a little silly and then you realize that his campaign does actually have a history of hiring some pretty shitty people and then firing them afterwards or sticking by them so 🤷‍♂️
this describes pretty much every campaign, though. saying 'of course' Bernie hired a racist anti-semite is much more telling of the person who said it than it is Bernie himself

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I'm shocked at "well they are a decade old" comments... yea and?
This isn't a James Gunn situation, this is politics, every single thing from your past and the past of everyone around you is dug up. Decades and decades of things, it doesn't matter how long ago it was it , or "well I've changed", it will get plastered on the news and blown up into a headline and nine out of 10 people won't care to take the effort to figure out when it happened they will only see the horrible, horrible language/views expressed

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah.. they need to vet better, it's not just some one off tweet, he's got a history of vile shit. Glad they dumped him quickly.

That being said, not a good look to link via a twitter account with like 7 or 8 retweets claiming that Sanders just simply has these bigoted views and already knew about the tweets before hiring (link in OP even says "of course" this happened). That is complete bullshit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Is the binary really "honor roll angel" and hate speech dispenser? Surely there's a hire as good who doesn't have that history.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
It does kind of suck for people who have matured and evolved on these issues. But... it is what it is.

The onus is on you to clean up your social media even if you have changed as a person and have a tangible pathway into maturity to show it. Even if you are actually a good person in "current year", you're going to get fired from just about every job/company if someone digs up your old unprotected tweets or FB posts and there is dodgy shit.

People should have learned that by now. Especially people in politics or mainstream facing positions where your opposition will spend a lot of time going through your history.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Remember the James Gunn affair? Though I doubt the strategy is exclusive to the right-wing, conservatives, anti-SJWs and other unsavoury types on the right especially love digging up old dirt if it's going to undermine an attempt at progressivism or left unity. They excel at sowing discord. Unfortunately, some of us latch onto that a bit too eagerly (i.e. beyond reasonable criticism), thus playing into the hands of the rightwingers.

[EDIT] To be clear though: the "shit that does not fly today" didn't fly 10 years ago either. This dude's tweets are vile, and I'm glad he was promptly fired, and disappointed that Sanders's campaign social media vetting process is so lackluster.

Oct 27, 2017

Don't have to be a "high honor roll angel" to not repeatedly talk about "Jew money".

But hey, maybe I'm just a rare breed.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The onus is on you to clean up your social media even if you have changed as a person and have a tangible pathway into maturity to show it. Even if you are actually a good person in "current year", you're going to get fired from just about every company if someone digs up your old unprotected tweets or FB posts.

People should have learned that by now.
yes. especially if you saw what happened to the last guy. like another dude Bernie hired just got fired for this. maybe clean up your account before you apply for the job? That's me being cynical. Of course if he changed he should've cleaned his account years ago.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I for one am shocked that a campaign run by a 78 year old doesn't understand that one part of vetting people is looking at their social media history.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, so it was a legit story. Honestly weird some people here were trying to brush it away as if the tweets didn't happen, just because it was reported on a conservative site.

No one questioning a far right site is trying to brush anything away. It's about waiting for corroboration from a more trusted or mainstream source. This was a legit story but that doesn't make it weird to not trust a site like the Washington Free Beacon. I can wait 15 minutes to know the truth.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
did he not address it with his actions by doing all of this after the tweets?

"Darius plans on bringing his energy and years of experience as a lead organizer for Citizen Action of New York and National Organizer for the Gathering for Justice to the table. Darius first came to New York to serve as African American and Youth director for a State Assembly campaign. When the campaign ended, he began work with the Working Families Canvassing and Fundraising team where he expanded his knowledge and practical skills for electoral and social justice work. In early 2014, Darius started as a community organizer for Citizen Action of New York, working on and winning campaigns such as Fight for $15, paid sick leave, and paid family leave .He has also has victories in the criminal justice field being a member of the Justice League NYC, where they helped get Raise the Age legislation passed in New York state, making now illegal to house 16 and 17 year olds in adult jail and prison facilities."
How does that address him making statements using slurs and stereotypes? Nothing in there apologizes for what he thought it was ok as an adult to say.

Dec 31, 2017
Stupid mistake by Bernie camp. Good course correction. Need to vet better.

While I believe people have the capacity to change and mature, it's just not gonna look good in political campaigns.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The onus is on you to clean up your social media even if you have changed as a person and have a tangible pathway into maturity to show it. Even if you are actually a good person in "current year", you're going to get fired from just about every job/company if someone digs up your old unprotected tweets or FB posts and there is dodgy shit.

People should have learned that by now. Especially people in politics or mainstream facing positions where your opposition will spend a lot of time going through your history.

That's what gets me.

Yeah, okay, it's been a long time... Maybe he's matured.

Just delete your fucking Twitter account. This public embarrassment would have been completely avoided if he just took out 30 seconds to delete everything. Makes you question his basic capabilities.

I for one am shocked that a campaign run by a 78 year old doesn't understand that one part of vetting people is looking at their social media history.

This can't be real, right?

Do... Do you honestly think that Bernie himself has any role in this entire saga, other than the fact that his campaign team has proven repeatedly inept?

Oct 27, 2017
Homeboy was 22 and a college graduate when he decided to play edgelord. Fuck this dude and his enablers. Especially the ones still talking about Hillary being a Goldwater Girl at 16.

This is why I will never trust Berndog to get a handle on his campaign, his cult of personality will welcome any burning trash pile out there as long as they're loyal to him personally

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Man, the moving the goalpost for Bernard and the assholes he surrounds himself with on this site is impressive.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
to be clear, Bernie doesn't personally make hiring decisions and he definitely doesn't vet them himself. he hires other people to do that.
Yes, I know, which is why I wrote "campaign run by". The candidate's focus, priorities and vision will still have massive influence on how the campaign is run even if they're not micromanaging everything. Even those who he hired/empowered to hire this clown is an example of that.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
That's what gets me.

Yeah, okay, it's been a long time... Maybe he's matured.

Just delete your fucking Twitter account. This public embarrassment would have been completely avoided if he just took out 30 seconds to delete everything. Makes you question his basic capabilities.

Some people forget if they have truly moved on, others are naive and don't think they'll get profiled and some haven't actually changed even if they don't verbalize what is in their head nowadays.

The issue for an "employer" is they can't mindread, so before social media, had to interview you, do background checks and take you on your word on most of what you say (about yourself). Since social media people who pass all the historic markers for checking for an asshole/criminal can then end up tripping themselves up if their social media profiles have something on them.

I've even seen people fired from supermarkets because they post something stupid on Facebook and someone tells a store manager about them.

This is why many employers, if not damn well near all of them now, scour your social media. It's a failing for sure that a political entity doesn't do that. You're front-facing in politics. You pretty much have one life. Your opposition will have a field day if they find something.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
BrasĂ­lia Brazil
This is so ridiculous. Some campaign staffer missed tweets that are TEN years old, and now his supporters are bad people if they don't disavow Bernie? If you really think this, you better at least hold the other candidates to the same standard *Cough Lis Smith + Mayor Pete Cough*

lmao

hope the haters got to finish before this news

The case itself is already closed with the firing, but still, the underlying story is the ongoing narrative being pushed that Bernie hires horrible people = Bernie should be cancelled. I don´t recall reading anything questioning the staff of other candidates, but we´ve seen this movie before with Sirota, Briahna Joy Gray and just about anybody on his staff.

It´s the cancel culture at full force. I remember that at first i could´t believe people were wasting time to question things like staff hiring, but it is a narrative to be pushed. Whatever you can find to attack him has to be used.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Anyone who does hiring for campaigns should be required to do a social media search. That's ridiculous.

But also, I don't like that the people going after him are going after him because of his support for the BDS movement. It seems that was the right winger's main intent to shame the campaign. Not actually be supportive of LGBT/Minorities/etc. Being pro BDS should never be a disqualifier.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there is, but I think it's kind of hard to find people who didn't have social media back then. People have fuck Up's buried somewhere. People grow out of that immature shit.
I don't know. He was 22 and this was not some one off tweet. It was a pattern of hateful behavior and an extraordinarily toxic attitude. If it were like one or two tweets, maybe I could see that line of reasoning. It's also telling that he just deleted rather than try to explain himself.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
User Banned (9 Days): Inflammatory Accusations
lmao

hope the haters got to finish before this news

no, this is the nail in the coffin for ol' Bernard, who is the strongest against Trump in the general and is currently leading the field in California.

It's funny to see who would prefer Trump over Bernie to the point that they have to rush to post every minor fuckup his campaign makes (and then rectifies not even an hour after they post it).

At some point, aren't threads like this just bait? Like at least wait for the CNN article, don't go posting right-ring rags and Twitter reactionaries.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The case itself is already closed with the firing, but still, the underlying story is the ongoing narrative being pushed that Bernie hires horrible people = Bernie should be cancelled. I don´t recall reading anything questioning the staff of other candidates, but we´ve seen this movie before with Sirota, Briahna Joy Gray and just about anybody on his staff.

It´s the cancel culture at full force. I remember that at first i could´t believe people were wasting time to question things like staff hiring, but it is a narrative to be pushed. Whatever you can find to attack him has to be used.

The reason you don't see stories like this from other campaigns... Is because other campaigns aren't repeatedly this inept.

You can ignore the continuous unforced errors if you like (clearly, that's the road you've decided to take) but to use this as a basis of some kind of whataboutism against other campaigns is sad and disingenuous. What other campaign has had multiple stories like this one besides Bernie's?

no, this is the nail in the coffin for ol' Bernard, who is the strongest against Trump in the general and is currently leading the field in California.

It's funny to see who would prefer Trump over Bernie to the point that they have to rush to post every minor fuckup his campaign makes (and then rectifies not even an hour after they post it).

At some point, aren't threads like this just bait? Like at least wait for the CNN article, don't go posting right-ring rags and Twitter reactionaries.

Leading the field in California... Why is that important?

PS- Need to see the receipts on the claim that Bernie is the strongest candidate against Trump, as I've never once read that. Nationally, or in battleground states.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
How does that address him making statements using slurs and stereotypes? Nothing in there apologizes for what he thought it was ok as an adult to say.

idk i feel working on social justice issues for the past decade while having not tweeted anything resembling his tweets in 2010 is a more powerful show of growth and change than just words

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017

but it is "on us" to establish standards of what people can make amends for, to decide as people what is and isn't forgivable, and to provide them with an opportunity to change as people. I firmly believe that. I don't know this dude, and maybe he's not what he seems, but the biography that was posted earlier seems to indicate that he's a good dude who's firmly on "the right side" at this point in his life.

I'm so tired of watching people get dragged over shit from a decade ago. just because the internet never moves on doesn't mean we can't.

Surely there's a hire as good who doesn't have that history.

that might be true - I don't know. based on the work this guy's done in the past few years, he seems to be a pretty special individual who's very committed to various social justice causes. I don't know how many people have that body of work and none of the baggage (and also want to work on a presidential campaign).

but the point still remains. at some point, my personal belief is that we ought to give people opportunities to let that baggage go. if we do not allow people to mature, if we do not believe in rehabilitation and reconciliation, we are not believers in restorative justice. (which I think must be believed by anyone who wants any claim to the label "progressive")

they should have brought this dude out and had him say what he's done with his life, how he's not a stupid kid making stupid kid tweets anymore, that he understands "delete your account" isn't a joke sometimes, and that he's truly sorry to have said those things and he hopes to make more positive change in the world and encourage kids to not say shit like that. instead, we just toss him in the garbage. "lol learn to delete your twitter history", and, with that, another promising leftist of color is knocked down a few rungs on the ladder.

it sucks. I hate it.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017

The breathless excitement at the beginning of the thread is palpable

OP
OP

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um, what?

No, I do not "prefer Trump over Bernie." I doubt anyone here would, that's insane.

What a disgusting, outrageous reaction to wanting to see the Sanders campaign do better vetting. Fucking gross, dude.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't know. He was 22 and this was not some one off tweet. It was a pattern of hateful behavior and an extraordinarily toxic attitude. If it were like one or two tweets, maybe I could see that line of reasoning. It's also telling that he just deleted rather than try to explain himself.
The twitter account you linked in the OP heavily implies (like 7 or 8 different times on the front page, and the tweet in your OP) that Sanders shares these views. Do you agree with that?