• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Sorry to post this, but I felt it was very important. Reuters are reporting that the US sanctions are making it very difficult for Iran to mitigate the deaths and spread of the corona virus. Human Rights Watch also has a report on it

Human Rights Watch found that US economic sanctions on Iran, despite the humanitarian exemptions, are causing unnecessary suffering to Iranian citizens afflicted with a range of diseases and medical conditions. Some of the worst affected are Iranians who have rare diseases and/or conditions that require specialized treatment and are unable to acquire previously available medicines or supplies. This includes patients with leukemia, epidermolysis bullosa (EB, a type of disease that causes fragile, blistering skin), epilepsy, and chronic eye injuries from exposure to chemical weapons during the Iran-Iraq war.

People with severe forms of EB have been unable to get specialized bandages and are significantly more likely to get bacterial infections and develop sepsis. Children with epilepsy resistant to common treatments and unable to get imported medicines have frequent, uncontrolled seizures that risk injury and over time severe and permanent brain damage.

Full report: https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/10/29/iran-sanctions-threatening-health

Someone was tweeting about how the sanctions are impacting the country's ability to contain the virus and treat the infected:

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
and for anyone not paying attention guess how these sanctions got passed? They "snuck" em in a bill targeting Russia. Every Democrat voted for them including Warren and Klobuchar. You know who didn't? Bernie Sanders. Everyone else has blood on their hands and this isn't a "oh well they didn't know". Everyone against them clearly stated at the time and every other time what is wrong with sanctions. Those in power just didn't give a shit.

theintercept.com

Bernie Sanders’s Lonely 2017 Battle to Stop Iran Sanctions and Save the Nuclear Deal

At the brink of war with Iran, Bernie Sanders stands as a leading anti-war candidate — and a 2017 fight over sanctions bolsters his case.

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
and for anyone not paying attention guess how these sanctions got passed? They "snuck" em in a bill targeting Russia. Every Democrat voted for them including Warren and Klobuchar. You know who didn't? Bernie Sanders. Everyone else has blood on their hands and this isn't a "oh well they didn't know". Everyone against them clearly stated at the time and every other time what is wrong with sanctions. Those in power just didn't give a shit.

theintercept.com

Bernie Sanders’s Lonely 2017 Battle to Stop Iran Sanctions and Save the Nuclear Deal

At the brink of war with Iran, Bernie Sanders stands as a leading anti-war candidate — and a 2017 fight over sanctions bolsters his case.
I really wanted Bernie to somehow pull it off...

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017

theintercept.com

Bernie will always get the thumbs up in my book.

And 100% Yes. This is the perfect time to rehabilitate our relationships with other countries. US should be leading the charge

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

theintercept.com

this country would never deserve a Bernie Sanders, it seems

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they have much chance of lifting in this administration, but I'd be for it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine the current US admin being very sympathetic to Iran at all.

Doesn't help that the head of their revolutionary guard claimed the virus was a bioweapon from America.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Our relationship with Iran would be so much better if we did not impose crippling sanctions on them. How is the Ayatollah gonna convince the Iranian people that America is their enemy if there are no American imposed sanctions? We impose sanctions on Iran to get a regime change in the country. It's having the opposite effect. The sanctions are hurting Iranian people. America is seriously abusing it's power with these sanctions. These sanctions are downright evil if you consider the effect they have on the daily lives of Iranian people.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
We are a pretty shitty country in a lot of ways.

I already know that some people dying in Iran wont move the needle enough for anything to happen. Even in this liberal board I doubt this thread even gets to page 3.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Our relationship with Iran would be so much better if we did not impose crippling sanctions on them. How is the Ayatollah gonna convince the Iranian people that America is their enemy if there are no American imposed sanctions? We impose sanctions on Iran to get a regime change in the country. It's having the opposite effect. The sanctions are hurting Iranian people. America is seriously abusing it's power with these sanctions. These sanctions are downright evil if you consider the effect they have on the daily lives of Iranian people.
Both times things have been on the road to improvement with them, the GOP has been elected and immediately wrecked everything the moment they took office.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

theintercept.com

Your narrative is conveniently backwards. They added the Russian sanctions to a bill targeting Iran, and Sanders voted for that amendment. This is in-line with his entire legislative career where he has carved out an industry of dealing only in amendments so he only has to take popular positions without any compromise

amendment king, indeed. btw, those particular sanctions are limited to Iran's ballistic weapons program and the IRGC and exclude anything related to humanitarian assistance

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
btw, those particular sanctions are limited to Iran's ballistic weapons program and the IRGC and exclude anything related to humanitarian assistance

Read the Human Rights Watch report I put in the OP. The sanctions effectively bans humanitarian assistance too.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read the Human Rights Watch report I put in the OP. The sanctions effectively bans humanitarian assistance too.

While I see their point about the chilled environment having an impact regardless of exclusions, the sanctions they're discussing are not the same ones I am (raised by the previous poster). They're referring to broad sanctions Trump imposed after withdrawing from the nuclear deal. The bill in question is from 2017 when the nuclear deal was still in force and is very limited in scope

Last edited:

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing another member
Your narrative is conveniently backwards. They added the Russian sanctions to a bill targeting Iran, and Sanders voted for that amendment. This is in-line with his entire legislative career where he has carved out an industry of dealing only in amendments so he only has to take popular positions without any compromise

amendment king, indeed. btw, those particular sanctions are limited to Iran's ballistic weapons program and the IRGC and exclude anything related to humanitarian assistance
Don't worry about providing facts. He'll just respond with more non-sense to justify his fanboyism for Bernie.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Don't worry about providing facts. He'll just respond with more non-sense to justify his fanboyism for Bernie.
Entirely unrelated to this thread and you really gonna do this dumbfuck primary sniping here? People in Iran are dying because of US sanctions dude and you're in here posting about how Bernie Sanders bros are fanboys? Get your priorities straight what the fuck man

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Entirely unrelated to this thread and you really gonna do this dumbfuck primary sniping here? People in Iran are dying because of US sanctions dude and you're in here posting about how Bernie Sanders bros are fanboys? Get your priorities straight what the fuck man

he brought in a point about unrelated bill to sanctions to fanboy over Bernie.Reality is Donald trump unilaterally pulled out of the Iran Deal (because the Iran Deal was an executive deal) reverting back to the previous status quo. That's on Donald Trump alone.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
he brought in a point about unrelated bill to sanctions to fanboy over Bernie.Reality is Donald trump unilaterally pulled out of the Iran Deal (because the Iran Deal was an executive deal) reverting back to the previous status quo. That's on Donald Trump alone.
Nobody fucking cares holy shit stop talking about Bernie fanboys or whatever the fuck and realise real people are dying as a result of US sanctions, this blood is on the US government and all of those complicit in that
only on Era can a topic about the lives of iranians being directly threatened by inhuman sanctions be transformed into a thread about "bernie fanboyism"

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody fucking cares holy shit stop talking about Bernie fanboys or whatever the fuck and realise real people are dying as a result of US sanctions, this blood is on the US government and all of those complicit in that
Its important to note cause the only way to lift those restrictions is to remove Donald Trump from power rather than rail on something that wasn't initiated from the legislative branch to begin with.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
This is a regime that imprisons, tortures and kills its gay citizens, with widespread support form its citizens.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like Democrats (sans Bernie) didn't vote for it either.

again. The sanctions relevant to this were unilaterally put in via the executive branch by withdrawing from the Iran Nuclear Deal. There was no vote for these sanctions. The sanctions Democrats voted for aside from Bernie was in regards to their ballistics missiles.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
considering the trump administration wants regime change in iran i doubt they are gonna do much to help. if anything we'll probably see countries shut off their borders to iran to contain the virus from spreading to them.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I despise Iran's regime and the citizens who support it.

Sanctions should be immediately lifted. It is the objectively right thing to do.

Which of course means the Trump regime won't do it.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they're doing what they were intended to do. Another stunning success for the Pax Americana!

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a regime that imprisons, tortures and kills its gay citizens, with widespread support form its citizens.
This is not the first time on this forum I see justification of horrible foreign policy with "well that country is homophobic". Do you suppose iranian gay people are immune from coronavirus, sanctions and bombs

Sarek

Oct 27, 2017
I support lifting the sanctions, but wonder how much it would do in the current situation. Several countries have already banned exporting items like face masks.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
I support international help. Hopefully other countries can send help and medical stuff.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
The sanctions wouldn't hurt as much if the EU weren't little chickenshits when it comes to the JCPOA and their end of the bargain. Even when it comes to Humanitarian aide which are supposedly exempt from sanctions, the EU banks and other entities refuse to deal in it out of fear of US sanctions.

So far the EU has offered no credible protection for EU banks and business to conduct operations with Iran from American sanctions and that INSTEX thing? No one is using it. Then they have the balls to condemn Iran for backpedalling on their Nuclear commitments? How about you fucking commit to your end of the deal when it comes to doing business in Iran before talking and acting like Trump's bitches?

Ayatollah Khamenei and the hardlines were opposed to the deal with Obama, but Rouhani and Zarif persisted and achieved a deal with the Americans most people thought was impossible. After this? I don't see any new deal coming in even if Bernie Sanders is elected, unless that deal becomes a binding treaty.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
sanctions in general never work and disproportionately hurt ordinary people especially against authoritarian governments they are 100% useless. it's completely flawed logic to think that sanctions put pressure on authoritarian government by its people and therefore will effect change. you need serious country-wide revolutionary movement to do that, and in authoritarian governments like Russia, Iran, China, etc, it is incredibly difficult for movements like this to organise, because the entire system is against them, all media is controlled, there are limited civil rights, police and military have much more reign, etc.

but unfortunately the american dollar is at the centre of the world economy and americans love to sanction whoever they can, and if their "allies" don't agree, the businesses of allied countries become black listed by the americans from doing business with the rest of the world, because other allied countries if not wanting to be blacklisted cannot do business with the blacklisted ones either. american imperialism has the world at its balls for a long time, and many countries have had to take significant economic hits to uphold american sanctions, which is why european governments over the last 10 years have resisted more and more sanctions against russia because the dumb american governments don't understand that Russia for one is not a country that can simply be ignored and are economically and culturally part of our continent and we do business with them all the time, and the sanctions do not hurt the Kremlin at all,, just the people.

systems like INSTEX made by Europe to bypass american dollar/sanctions, which was made for Iran after Trump fucked the deal, will be the future. but unfortunately it's difficult to actually get info on how it's working and how well..

The sanctions wouldn't hurt as much if the EU weren't little chickenshits when it comes to the JCPOA and their end of the bargain. Even when it comes to Humanitarian aide which are supposedly exempt from sanctions, the EU banks and other entities refuse to deal in it out of fear of US sanctions.

So far the EU has offered no credible protection for EU banks and business to conduct operations with Iran from American sanctions and that INSTEX thing? No one is using it. Then they have the balls to condemn Iran for backpedalling on their Nuclear commitments? How about you fucking commit to your end of the deal when it comes to doing business in Iran before talking and acting like Trump's bitches?

Ayatollah Khamenei and the hardlines were opposed to the deal with Obama, but Rouhani and Zarif persisted and achieved a deal with the Americans most people thought was impossible. After this? I don't see any new deal coming in even if Bernie Sanders is elected, unless that deal becomes a binding treaty.

because there is no choice. america will blacklist you from international markets, so they only way to stand up to america is to be 100% united, and even though we are union this is difficult unless we are a federation. the legal system of the EU does not extend this far to force EU members to unify in regards to something like this. let's say 5 EU countries agree not to go with sanctions, well then america will blacklist their businesses from the international market, which means other EU countries and the rest of the world cannot do business with them unless they want to be blacklisted too.

so let's even say all of EU does not sanction. the U.S can blacklist the whole EU, which means Asia, Africa, South America are fucked with their trade to EU.

it's not so simple. this is way more complex issue, and america runs the world like a mafia.

the change must come from americans themselves, but vast, vast majority of americans don't give a fuck about foreign policy and in fact support most of their government's bullshit strategy for decades. there is a lot of pain and blood on americans hands way before even trump came into the picture. they support their country's position in this bullshit. you can see how often they talk about sanctions on this forum against russia for the last few years. they support the system/framework 100%

Last edited:

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iranian here. I've posted multiple times about how bad the Islamic Republic regime is, so I'll keep it short.
The problem isn't the US, Trump, sanctions or any other thing, the problem is the reign of Ayatollahs over Iran. Lifting the sanctions puts more money into the hands of the Ayatollahs. That's why the free people of Iran loathe Obama and his deal with IR.
This regime will let its people die, with or without Corona virus.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Iranian here. I've posted multiple times about how bad the Islamic Republic regime is, so I'll keep it short.
The problem isn't the US, Trump, sanctions or any other thing, the problem is the reign of Ayatollahs over Iran. Lifting the sanctions puts more money into the hands of the Ayatollahs. That's why the free people of Iran loathe Obama and his deal with IR.

Iran is a multi ethnic multi culture country of 80 million, is the regime popular? Yes, is the regime hated? Yes. Anyone who tries to blanket label the Iranian people as one single entity without going into the complexities of Iranian society has no idea what they're talking about. Iran isn't isolated to northern Tehran or Isfahan, Iran is also Meshhad and Qom.

If the recent funeral of Soleimani has proved anything is that the regime in Iran is nowhere near reviled and loathed by 99% of the population as the opposition abroad or the terrorist MEK like to portray.

Anyone who conspires with a foreign country against their own people, are neither free nor do they speak in the name of their supposed people. You don't care about the Iranian people, who are suffering the most from these sanctions, who were projected to live a better life because of the JCPOA, if you advocate to further their suffering just for the sake of an agenda. The one thing the opposition abroad fear most is the JCPOA because it weakens their agenda at the same time benefits the everyday life of the Iranian people, speaks volumes about their priorities.

Deleted member 26398

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As an Iranian let me tell you that this guy is in no way representative of Iranian people's opinion.

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iran is a multi ethnic multi culture country of 80 million, is the regime popular? Yes, is the regime hated? Yes. Anyone who tries to blanket label the Iranian people as one single entity without going into the complexities of Iranian society has no idea what they're talking about. Iran isn't isolated to northern Tehran or Isfahan, Iran is also Meshhad and Qom.

If the recent funeral of Soleimani has proved anything is that the regime in Iran is nowhere near reviled and loathed by 99% of the population as the opposition abroad or the terrorist MEK like to portray.

Anyone who conspires with a foreign country against their own people, are neither free nor do they speak in the name of their supposed people. You don't care about the Iranian people, who are suffering the most from these sanctions, who were projected to live a better life because of the JCPOA, if you advocate to further their suffering just for the sake of an agenda. The one thing the opposition abroad fear most is the JCPOA because it weakens their agenda at the same time benefits the everyday life of the Iranian people, speaks volumes about their priorities.
Mind you the Dec 2017 protests in Iran started in Meshahad.
Do you live in Iran by any chance? I'm speaking from what I've seen on the streets, not the internet. I'm speaking from my own experience.
If 29 years of living in this hellhole has taught anything is the fact that the general situation of the country has been on a downslide ever since the inception of IR, 40 years ago. I'm someone who was advocating JCPOA thinking about how life is going to be great after the deal except to see a ton more money spent on Bashar Asad and Hezbollah. The pro-regime groups hated the deal back then and now that the deal is no more, they blame the US for the return of the sanctions.
Yes, the regime still has power and money to put up a show and try to make a hero out of that terrorist Soleimani. But did you see how they tried to conceal the fact that they had shot an airplane out of the sky full of innocent people for a week? How about the fact that COVID-19 had already infected people in some cities prior to the recent election but they concealed it in the hopes of getting people to vote. And these are but a few recent incidents showing how IR only thinks about its survival rather than the Iranian people.
I hate long posts but there you go since you wanted more explanations.
The bottom line is that the true friends of the Iranian people will do well in not aiding the Ayatollahs.