• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Whew.

Los Angeles has gathered enough signatures to send George Gascon to a recall vote. I signed and I will vote him out.

The recall lead by this guy?

www.cbsnews.com

Sheriff Alex Villanueva calls George Gascon a 'failed district attorney'

Villanueva said that he wants to see LA District Attorney George Gascon recalled.

who's also this guy?

www.newyorker.com

The L.A. County Sheriff’s Deputy-Gang Crisis

Whistle-blowers say that a group called the Banditos functions as a shadow government within local law enforcement. The sheriff says there is no such gang in his department.

www.latimes.com

L.A. County sheriff's unit accused of targeting political enemies, vocal critics

A little-known team of investigators in the L.A. County Sheriff's Department has pursued criminal investigations into some of Villanueva's most vocal critics.

laist.com

Oversight Panel Calls For Resignation Of LA Sheriff Alex Villanueva

It's a sign of continuing erosion of support for the sheriff who was elected in 2018.

My favorite part of American policing is you've got a group of law enforcement in LA so corrupt Denzel Washington got awards doing basically a documentary on them decades ago, they've threatened FBI investigators with murder, and no one cares.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
To be fair, every family should be trained in the usage of Narcan. It's incredibly easy to use and it saves lives.

Fentanyl is not so dangerous that helping someone who overdosed will put you in massive danger. This is a talking point that always has to be addressed in Narcan training as folks are hesitant to help thinking that any tiny amount will harm them if they touch it. There's definitely caution to be had but it's not what much of the media would have folks believe.
Yeah understood. I meant more in danger by the situations it puts her in, not the medication or drugs. She was robbed at gunpoint one time working in the field

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Whew.

www.cbsnews.com

Villanueva said that he wants to see LA District Attorney George Gascon recalled.

who's also this guy?

www.newyorker.com

Whistle-blowers say that a group called the Banditos functions as a shadow government within local law enforcement. The sheriff says there is no such gang in his department.

www.latimes.com

L.A. County sheriff's unit accused of targeting political enemies, vocal critics

A little-known team of investigators in the L.A. County Sheriff's Department has pursued criminal investigations into some of Villanueva's most vocal critics.

laist.com

It's a sign of continuing erosion of support for the sheriff who was elected in 2018.

My favorite part of American policing is you've got a group of law enforcement in LA so corrupt Denzel Washington got awards doing a documentary on them, they've threatened FBI investigators with murder, and no one cares.
I listened to a crime podcast in the last couple years that happened to cover Villenueva in the investigative process and covered a bit of his rise to the position and how he was the outsider POC young guy gonna buck the system.

It ended on a pretty sour note regarding the involvement of the LASD and I expected to never hear about him again, but he keeps popping up lol

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
e
Whew.

www.cbsnews.com

who's also this guy?

www.newyorker.com

www.latimes.com

laist.com

My favorite part of American policing is you've got a group of law enforcement in LA so corrupt Denzel Washington got awards doing basically a documentary on them decades ago, they've threatened FBI investigators with murder, and no one cares.
No, led by the voters who have seen him let real criminals off with a slap on the wrist or no charges at all. He will be gone by the will of the people.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much everyone I've ever seen pushing for the Gascon recall has been white and old. The campaign is a poisoned 1990s 'tough on crime' well and I hate it.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
LAPD/Sheriff just feels systemic to the core

I listened to a crime podcast in the last couple years that happened to cover Villenueva in the investigative process and covered a bit of his rise to the position and how he was the outsider POC young guy gonna buck the system.

It ended on a pretty sour note regarding the involvement of the LASD and I expected to never hear about him again, but he keeps popping up lol

As someone who's been forced to deal with NYPD it feels LAPD/Sheriff is someplace special. Like maybe because NY is big on newsmedia it feels if I got murdered by a cop they would at least bother with the dog and pony show coverup ("krazen's bright red iphone looked like a gun!"). LA feels like they don't even have to bother with that much, that recent sherrif gang murder of the mechanic during the pandemic still fucks with me. Add the classic los angeles liberal it feels like a vile place to be as a black person in any space that isn't all black, every time I have gone I have always felt unease. It really feels systemic to its core; I can believe he's just kinda afraid of getting killed himself by someone under him, lol

clmartin

Banned
Apr 1, 2022
I don't think they are insinuating that at all so much as offering one primary reason why they don't charge them.

The number isn't important so much as the fact it's substantial enough they feel it is worth bringing it up. And it's not like the DAs aren't the only ones who think this is an issue. It's also the defense attorneys too as seen in the section I quoted.

Like if you want to use me buying those arguments into me being racist, fine have a go at it. But you better provide proof that:
A. They are wrong.
B. I knowingly used wrong information to make a racist point.

And anecdotal information isn't going to cut it.
You know, the other way you could go would be to just listen to a Latino person telling you that they're offended by the insinuation that most drug dealers are Latino.

But go off.

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
You know, the other way you could go would be to just listen to a Latino person telling you that they're offended by the insinuation that most drug dealers are Latino.

But go off.

Sure, but no one said that.

How does me citing arguments by the DA & criminal defense attorneys over the lack of charges of fentanyl lead to me being racist? Like seriously... that's just ridiculous.

XAL

Oct 27, 2017
Boudin's recall effort started before he even took office. Also as a rule, when outside groups spend millions upon millions of dollars outspending the person they want removed in local office by a factor of 2x or greater, you can safely assume that the reasoning is not legitimate.

Boudin did not advocate and communicate his policies and accomplishments to the broader populace effectively against the constant repeated tidal wave of negative and fake stories, as a progressive it's always going to be an uphill battle and both conservatives and liberals will want to rip you to shreds and seize upon any mistake and will hammer on that mistake until the end of time.

Was he a perfect DA? No. Did he have some fuck ups? Yes. But the effort to recall him was largely unjustified and was part of a movement by wealthy dickheads to remove anyone wanting to reform the justice system and holding police accountable. I would take him over most DA's that are lapdogs to the police and establishment dems.

California and San Francisco are neoliberal as fuck, which is to say right of center. It's only viewed that SF/CA are left wing because of social attitudes towards lgbtq+ Even the negative propaganda made its way to my dad, his youtube recommended page was filled with libertarian shit that made me want to vomit.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Sure, but no one said that.

How does me citing arguments by the DA & criminal defense attorneys over the lack of charges of fentanyl lead to me being racist? Like seriously... that's just ridiculous.
You are using and hiding behind those articles to say just that. You said it. Maybe look at their argument for a second and put yourself in a minority's shoes and think damn that's kinda fucked up to call that race out as the reason why they won't charge people. They already have programs to navigate through the undocumented deportation problems for other small felonies that doesn't impact non Latinos. It's a fucking sanctuary city. This DA report is just using undocumented Latinos as a scapegoat for this oversight. And for the record I don't believe in recalls, that's what re-elections are for. Just commenting as a minority on why our communities voted this fuck out.

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
You are using and hiding behind those articles to say just that. You said it.

Said what? I never mentioned the word race in my post or even pointed to any specific race in my post. I kept it very generalized. If I was going to say a specific race in my post then I would have said it and treaded very carefully.

Maybe look at their argument for a second and put yourself in a minority's shoes and think damn that's kinda fucked up to call that race out as the reason why they won't charge people.

Now assuming I'm not a minority is absurd. You don't know my race. I never brought it up and I won't bring it up. I don't need to put myself in a minority's shoe because I live it.

Regardless race was never used as a reason to not charge someone. Concerns about deportation don't cut cleanly along race lines. The commentary from the SF Standard, Chesa Boudin, DA's office, and criminal defense attorneys was all nationality focused. It was very specific on why they felt they didn't want to charge these individuals.

They already have programs to navigate through the undocumented deportation problems for other small felonies that doesn't impact non Latinos. It's a fucking sanctuary city.

From my understanding, those programs don't matter if someone is charged with a felony drug charge.

www.latimes.com

No, California's 'sanctuary state' law does not allow the release of dangerous criminals to the streets

As the fight over California’s immigration policies intensifies, so have the attacks from opponents who argue its landmark “sanctuary state” law is allowing the release of violent criminals into the streets.

Could be wrong - this article is from 2018.

Relevant bit:

What the law does: It prohibits alerting federal immigration agents of an inmate's release from a county jail — unless the information is already available to the public, or if the person has been convicted of any of the 800 offenses outlined in a 2013 state law, the Trust Act.
That list includes serious or violent felonies, arson, registered sex offenses and domestic violence. Many other crimes are on the list, including nonviolent drug charges and "wobblers," criminal offenses that can be charged under California law as a felony or misdemeanor. In those cases, cooperation with federal immigration officials is allowed.

This DA report is just using undocumented Latinos as a scapegoat for this oversight. And for the record I don't believe in recalls, that's what re-elections are for.

The article mentioned other reasons such as charging them with other serious crimes, usage of diversion programs, etc.

Chesa Boudin and others from across a variety of groups have mentioned deportation issues as a substantial factor but not the majority and not enough to say they were scapegoating undocumented Latinos.

Just commenting as a minority on why our communities voted this fuck out.

We don't have the full demographic results yet. This is presumptuous.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
Weird, passed somebody in front of a grocery store today and they were trying to recall the LA DA as well.

Are the Republicans giving out marching orders for these things or is it just a coincidence? Are there any other Democrat DAs being recalled right now?

microgreen

Jun 24, 2020
It's interesting how whenever a political candidate loses an election it's because they sucked at messaging or simply wasn't a good candidate. But Chesa lost apparently because of factors outside his control. Did he even do any Asian American outreach at all besides making statements?

The first time I heard of him was when he declined to charge a man for domestic violence who ended up killing a boy. His office dismissed the vast majority of DV cases too. His response to the whole thing was pretty weak, imo.

I'm mixed on this because while I don't think adopting a tough on crime approach is the answer to a city's problems, this guy just seemed like the absolutely wrong messenger. Now criminal justice reform has taken a hit because of his seeming incompetence.

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
So much for the folks happy about the recall here.

www.sfgate.com

Brooke Jenkins makes wave of firings. Progressives call it 'terrifying.'

New SF DA Brooke Jenkins fired 16 people on Friday. Progressives aren't happy.

sfist.com

New SF DA Brooke Jenkins Meets With Boudin's Staff, Asks to Review All Unclosed Plea Offers

It's the first week of District Attorney Brooke Jenkins's tenure in the SF DA's Office, and she has told the staff she wants to review all still-unclosed plea offers — and she says she may reconsider drug cases in particular, regardless of a defendant's immigration status.

Firing staff, revisiting plea deals. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

www.sfgate.com

sfist.com

New SF DA Brooke Jenkins Meets With Boudin's Staff, Asks to Review All Unclosed Plea Offers

It's the first week of District Attorney Brooke Jenkins's tenure in the SF DA's Office, and she has told the staff she wants to review all still-unclosed plea offers — and she says she may reconsider drug cases in particular, regardless of a defendant's immigration status.

Firing staff, revisiting plea deals. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Sadly makes sense politically. These are easy wins people will eat up and you've done nothing at all:

1) You fire the person investigating unjust convictions by your office so you can say you're doing 'good community policing' and minimize any critique as you bust heads

2)Review plea deals, particularly drug ones, since those are low hanging fruit..the works already done so you can take cases and throw books at them to get the 'tough on crime' badge even if its just war on drug bullshit with non violent aspect to those crimes. You've done nothing about the core of the problem or the symptoms like some of the homelessness, but make a low level dealer look like Capone and now you're Elliot Ness.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

www.sfgate.com

sfist.com

obi-wan-sarcasm.gif

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Sadly makes sense politically. These are easy wins people will eat up and you've done nothing at all:

1) You fire the person investigating unjust convictions by your office so you can say you're doing 'good community policing' and minimize any critique as you bust heads

2)Review plea deals, particularly drug ones, since those are low hanging fruit..the works already done so you can take cases and throw books at them to get the 'tough on crime' badge even if its just war on drug bullshit with non violent aspect to those crimes. You've done nothing about the core of the problem or the symptoms like some of the homelessness, but make a low level dealer look like Capone and now you're Elliot Ness.

This.

Plus, getting rid of the managing attorney for the police accountability investigation office means you don't have to be hold police accountable. Same with the stats and data folks that track racial disparities so there's no transparency to make the office do anything but bust heads and increase mass incarceration.

Last edited:

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017

You are right on the money.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
I want people who attack Asians, of which there has been a MASSIVE spike, to be taken off the streets. I want hate crime charges.

I am fucking tired of violence and hate towards Asians getting a pass.

No more Chesa Boudin saying that a fucker was having "a temper tantrum", when he fucking killed an elderly Asian man who was just minding his own business!

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
As I said earlier in the thread, folks don't want to pay the short and mid term cost to implement progressive reforms. So your only options are luck or gradual change.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
As I said earlier in the thread, folks don't want to pay the short and mid term cost to implement progressive reforms. So your only options are luck or gradual change.

Yep.

You're seeing this play out right here in Philly.

Hopefully the outcome is different. Likely will be, but still.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
I mean you recall a DA and put one in that makes unpopular decisions. If the New DA does a better job than the old one then the that new DA is staying.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I mean you recall a DA and put one in that makes unpopular decisions. If the New DA does a better job than the old one then the that new DA is staying.

It doesn't seem like these decisions would be unpopular in SF as a whole. Folks want "tough on crime" which means more folks in jail and more heads busted.

This except I'm not sure you'll get gradual change as the new DA has fired folks that would have helped gradual change take effect.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem like these decisions would be unpopular in SF as a whole. Folks want "tough on crime" which means more folks in jail and more heads busted.

This except I'm not sure you'll get gradual change as the new DA has fired folks that would have helped gradual change take effect.

We are in agreement there. SF basically hit the reset button. Back to being tough on crime. Then hopefully course correct a few years down the road.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when all the people acting like this was more than a ridiculous smear campaign against a progressive are going to admit they were wrong

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Just saw this article. Very hard to reform the system to make police accountable when they are working against you and then the people boot you out for not solving crime....

View: https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1587898257803313152

Pikachu.jpg

That's the thing right, for all the GOP shit talking about tough on crime just like the 70's to 00's they did not have the answer. NY's centrist Dem Mayor who ran on a 'let NYPD do what they want' platform has the same rising crime problem even with the biggest number of cops on the street ever.

It's just sad rather than going after and fixing systemic issues Americans high off their fake 'bootstraps & exceptionalism' juice wants cops to fuck up and jail poor people and minorities so they literally can sleep better at night even though it doesn't do shit. Its why lots of these police corruption cases boil down to the cops know they have the wrong person, but as long as it makes the 11pm news as suspect apprehended they know they did their real job. Even though the Americans begging for the baton swings and boots on heads aren't on the front lines of most of these crimes, its the same poor and minorities who are. We need to face that in their dark hearts Americans want the cruelty.

Last edited:

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Oh godddd.

Progressivism is fucked. We're never escaping the gop and tech overlords.

Am I misreading the election map? I don't get what the "seemingly every election map" comment means, but it looks like most of the city wanted him out? Multiple posters are saying he was recalled due to his reaction to violence against the Asian community. Is this really happening because of "the gop and tech overlords"?

Oct 27, 2017
Cops love not doing their jobs and blaming it on everyone else.

Happy the people that wanted to recall Gascon here in LA failed (again)!

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Smug people in this thread over something more complex than a few articles. This coming from someone that was against recall in the end.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I wonder when all the people acting like this was more than a ridiculous smear campaign against a progressive are going to admit they were wrong

It was more than a just a smear campaign. It's more complex than that. A large voting block voted him out due to the violence they were seeing first hand. Stats had arrest records up and prosecution down. Sure the replacement isn't better, but that doesn't discount what the state was. Yes Chesa was doing good work on reform, but weighed against the crime uptick people were experiencing first hand in real life, he lost out. Again this is coming from someone who ended up against recall.

Oct 27, 2017
It was more than a just a smear campaign. It's more complex than that. A large voting block voted him out due to the violence they were seeing first hand. Stats had arrest records up and prosecution down. Sure the replacement isn't better, but that doesn't discount what the state was. Yes Chesa was doing good work on reform, but weighed against the crime uptick people were experiencing first hand in real life, he lost out. Again this is coming from someone who ended up against recall.
Seconding all of this. I intended to vote against the recall (moved out of the bay shortly before the election) but painting this as just a smear campaign overlooks some legitimate issues and the suffering of marginalized communities in SF. I'm not happy with the replacement, but some takes on this are reductive.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
Am I misreading the election map? I don't get what the "seemingly every election map" comment means, but it looks like most of the city wanted him out? Multiple posters are saying he was recalled due to his reaction to violence against the Asian community. Is this really happening because of "the gop and tech overlords"?
This was an old-ish post but my soft brain take on this was his reluctance to send everyone to jail to solve crime was reframed as him being responsible for the "unprecedented crime rate" that wasn't actually real. But to be fair the whole country was convinced we were in a mad max lawless land even though the uptick in crime was just crime returning to pre-pandemic levels, which, duh.

The uptick in AAPI hate crimes though combined with even the most liberal folks retaliating with their votes against the big "Abolish The Police" crowd of 2020 was just bad timing for Chesa. Not sure how you can pin all of that on one man cuz he didn't come out and be like ok i will direct SFPD to place a cop car on every corner in the TL and Sunset to protect the Asians. I don't know what they (we) realistically could have asked for. The headlines were saying "hate crimes against AAPI communities have risen more than 500% since Chesa elected" like WHAT? again that sounds crazy but they didn't disclose "up from 9 cases in 2020, when the whole city was in and out of lockdown."

For as long as I was in SF, 12 years, there's always been a general "SF is a failed city look at all this crime, I'm leaving" from the rich who had their Tesla broken into once or twice in soma. But that message got so amplified in the past 2 years and the rich tech folks who sway more "fiscally conservative" (aka regular conservative but with the added "I love the LGBT" DLC pack) were able to take advantage of the real rise in car break ins and property damage to make everyone think all types of crime overall was the worst it's ever been despite it continuously trending down since the like the 80s. Bay area media outlets are so easily influenced by this sentiment too, i dunno if just to get clicks from the ppl that need their opinions on the crime rate validated or not, but anecdotally the chronicle likes to sway its readers towards "refund the police, we love em!"

Anyway everything against Chesa felt like a smear campaign and it worked and none of the problems pinned on him have been solved and wont be solved until the underlying problems that cause poverty and crime are reframed as the real problem.

This is more of a ramble please dont come at me with specifics im tired ahahahaha. I really just needed to type this out for myself cuz it's truly such a multifaceted, complex* problem.

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
as if this recall was ever propped up by anything other than smoothbrained racist NIMBYs.

Asians Are Strong, United Peace Collaborative, and Stop AAPI Hate also campaigned against Chesa. Again it wasn't just pro-cop conservatives gunning for Chesa and in the end it was a large backing of Asian and Hispanic voters that moved the needle. It's a sentiment you could really see if you lived near C-town. Again, Chesa's recall was more complex than a lot of posters are willing to consider.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I get that Chesa was a reformist but it doesn't mean you can just stop prosecuting crimes. There has to be some other support system or otherwise it would incentivize people to do all sort of shit. I believe I saw several videos of people walking into grocery stores in SF and taking things opening without paying. And the small business owners, especially in minority neighborhoods were affected pretty badly by this.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
In this thread White progressives gaslight and ignore the plights and concerns and suffering of Asians and Hispanic minorities.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I get that Chesa was a reformist but it doesn't mean you can just stop prosecuting crimes. There has to be some other support system or otherwise it would incentivize people to do all sort of shit. I believe I saw several videos of people walking into grocery stores in SF and taking things opening without paying. And the small business owners, especially in minority neighborhoods were affected pretty badly by this.

Except charging rates are the same under the current DA. Cops have purposefully tried to make Chesa look bad as well. This is not to Chesa was amazing or that folks didn't/don't have reasonable grievances against him.

The reality is that a DA doesn't have as much power as folks think they do. The underlying issues aren't going to be solved even if every single person was charged when they stole something. A DA on their own cannot make massive changes. Cracking more heads won't help.

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
In this thread White progressives gaslight and ignore the plights and concerns and suffering of Asians and Hispanic minorities.

Looking at the voting maps it's pretty likely that the Hispanic & Asian minorities voted differently in this election.

Not sure what your point is in conflating the two groups here as if they have the same plights and concerns.

Last edited: