• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'll never understand how SF continues to exist in its current state. How has there not been a mass exodus? I mean, why not leave and live ANYWHERE else in the country?

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
You could rent a 3 bed/2 bath house in a good neighborhood in the city just north of me for that price, yeesh!

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
No joke, I'd rather be homeless than pay $1,200/month for a bunk bed. A tent would have a lot more space and it's free.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, why not leave and live ANYWHERE else in the country?
_102408512_map-nc.png

Jobs.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
why would you ever live here. you could probably get a RV for cheaper with more space and privacy.

That was my first reaction to it, a motorhome would be a far better option than this, surely? Even a converted van would work better in terms of privacy, just have to find a good location to have toilet/washing facilities with that option.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Do the termites that will live in that unfinished wood have to pay $1200, too?

They are classified as civil engineers, though, so it all works out.

It cost me $25 here everytime I do laundry. Lunch out is minimum $12 for food court style. We got some really nice parks, beautiful beaches, and weed is legal so it all balances out.

Lots of places have nice parks and beaches and in those places you can buy a damned washer for $500.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
It looks like if you actually hung up your clothes they would take up half your bed. Fuck everything about this. How much is rent an hour outside of the city? An hour commute isn't really that bad.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Bet you these were all scooped up by rich yuppies for "the lulz."

Can't fathom anyone else voluntarily choosing to live like this.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
They are classified as civil engineers, though, so it all works out.

Lots of places have nice parks and beaches and in those places you can buy a damned washer for $500.

Yeah maybe but not with this perfect mild weather, amount of tech jobs, lots of places like Vegas and lake Tahoe relatively close among other things.

Definitely not worth it to struggle here and no way I'd be getting a bunk bed like that but if you got the money SF is a nice place to be. I'd never live downtown though.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So fucking dumb. How is the housing situation even sustainable for SF at this point?
Holy Bunk Buddies, Batman

$1200/A Bed? A Month?

WTF
I would get this if it was like $300 a month, but Jesus, my 1 bedroom apartment in Dallas cost less.

Get your shit together, San Fran.
I don't have sympathy for young people who willingly work in SF and get fucked by the boomer landlords.

This is making the news because it's flashy, but it's also one building that was converted, allegedly w/o all the permits.

SF's issues stem from a lack of space and a NIMBY situation caused by making it excessively easy to block or delay new construction. Rent control tightens the market further, because once you get in a RC unit, you have zero motivation to leave. Net result, the "market" fights over fewer units than available in the City.

The options to get an affordable place in SF are basically:
1) Get roommates
2) Sublet a RC unit and hope the master tenant isn't illegally charging you more than they're paying
3) Buy a place if you can swing the downpayment
4) Win an affordable housing lottery

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather work at walmart in most of the country and be able to live a normal life than have some "dream job" in SF and have to live in a bunk bed. The jobs and wage excuse doesn't cut it.
A lot of people are not about that WalMart life, different people, different needs. There's a major reason these small towns that revolve around a WalMart are dying out. Most people just don't want to live in those conditions.

www.theguardian.com

What happened when Walmart left

In West Virginia, the people of McDowell County can’t get jobs, and recently lost their biggest employer – the local Walmart store. They describe the devastating loss of jobs, community and access to fresh food

Another factor is, the costs of some goods are the same no matter where in the country you are. A bottle of water might cost less in Idaho than in downtown NYC but a video game costs $60 wherever you go. This is just an example, there's many more products, like iPhones, that exert an invisible pressure on people in a consumerist society to maximize the amount of commodities they can purchase with their salary, even if they're trading off some other things to do it (quality of life, living conditions, blah blah blah).

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
There's a point where cost of living is so much higher as a percentage that making 75k in a mid-size city anywhere else might make more sense than making double in SF.
It's like the old saying..."it's not what you make, it's what you save". Who cares about having a high paying job if your home consists of a shared bunk bed and you're saving less money that someone working at McDonalds?

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
A lot of people are not about that WalMart life, different people, different needs.
If you have live in a shared building in a bunkbed, you don't have a fucking life. That literally is not a life.

I mean, if you're in PRISON you get your own room.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It looks like if you actually hung up your clothes they would take up half your bed. Fuck everything about this. How much is rent an hour outside of the city? An hour commute isn't really that bad.

The trick is being able to telecommute so you can live 50 miles away and only
Have to drive into work once a month for a in person meeting.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a point where cost of living is so much higher as a percentage that making 75k in a mid-size city anywhere else might make more sense than making double in SF.

Yeah, see what I said above. I think the price consistency of some products promotes people trading quality of life for raw purchasing power. The latest $1,000 iPhone doesn't stop being $1,000 because you're not living in SF.
If you have live in a shared building in a bunkbed, you don't have a fucking life. That literally is not a life.

Man, I don't know if you're joking or not, but there's a lot of people who want different things than you do and have different ideas of what a "life" is than you do.

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
A lot of people are not about that WalMart life, different people, different needs. There's a major reason these small towns that revolve around a WalMart are dying out. Most people just don't want to live in those conditions.

www.theguardian.com

In West Virginia, the people of McDowell County can’t get jobs, and recently lost their biggest employer – the local Walmart store. They describe the devastating loss of jobs, community and access to fresh food

Another factor is, the costs of some goods are the same no matter where in the country you are. A bottle of water might cost less in Idaho than in downtown NYC but a video game costs $60 wherever you go. This is just an example, there's many more products, like iPhones, that exert an invisible pressure on people in a consumerist society to maximize the amount of commodities they can purchase with their salary, even if they're trading off some other things to do it (quality of life, living conditions, blah blah blah).

That's why everyone in hong kong use top of line new smartphone and camera but live in 5 sq ft cages. There is nothing to brag about.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like there is a way for me to get rich here. Like I need to live in my state and own a $20 per bottle Coke machine in SF or something.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
So it's like living in a college dorm. But instead of one roommate, you have three
So it's like living in a college dorm. But instead of one roommate, you have three
You have many more than that. Lots of ways to fit people into the area.

An hour outside of the city is still pretty expensive.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah maybe but not with this perfect mild weather, amount of tech jobs, lots of places like Vegas and lake Tahoe relatively close among other things.

Definitely not worth it to struggle here and no way I'd be getting a bunk bed like that but if you got the money SF is a nice place to be. I'd never live downtown though.

Vegas is 12 hours by car from SF!

www.theguardian.com

There's a middle ground between SF and working at a WalMart in Iowa.

It's like the old saying..."it's not what you make, it's what you save". Who cares about having a high paying job if your home consists of a shared bunk bed and you're saving less money that someone working at McDonalds?

Like, I could see doing it for a year or two and socking away as much as possible (were I still in my 20s) and then fleeing to anywhere else with the savings. You still might end up coming out ahead just not doing that step, though.