• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I wanted to make a catch all thread for San Diego Era members. If the mods allow it I'll update the OP to make it more of an OT.

Anyone live down here? From down here? Visiting?

I just want to talk about my favorite city in the world with you folks.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not actually from San Diego, but I've interviewed there for a tech position. I was told the salary was going to be 65K US. This sounds like it's way below average for the area. Anyone care to chime in?

OP
OP
Troll

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Depending on which side of town you live in 65k would be fine. I'm a mortgage loan officer and I constantly assess income for borrowers. You're actually just about at the median income for the city.

Where are you moving from?

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Going down there in two weeks for a networking event. Staying at the Manchester grand Hyatt.

What makes it your favorite city OP?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Just bought a house here 7-8 months ago from Seattle with my fiancé.
I have a work from home job so I was able to keep the same position even moving down here.

I was worried about the heat moving here, but the summer wasn't too bad. It was surprisingly similar to Washington summer (when it's sunny), it's just way way WAY more consistently sunny here (it's seriously only rained 2-3 times in the last 8 months). Definitely happy to have it cool down now, my August electric bill was crazy with how much AC we were using.
I'm not actually from San Diego, but I've interviewed there for a tech position. I was told the salary was going to be 65K US. This sounds like it's way below average for the area. Anyone care to chime in?
Depends on experience and type of position I suppose. As a tech writer I started at around just below 50K and I've the last 6 years I'm at a little over 70k now (I think, I'm hourly and I haven't calculated year salary in a while). But tech writers are typically on the lower end of tech salaries.

But I don't live in Downtown San Diego (and I don't commute) so that saves me a bit and makes it easier to get by.

Last edited:

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I only go to SD for CC, sorry to be one of those in the horde!

I like how pretty SD is compared to parts of LA, but it still feels like a real city unique to itself.

Yea they lowballed you. You should expect $80,000/yr at the absolute minimum if you're any sort of software developer.
It depends on the area though. SD isn't a huge tech bubble, so I could definitely see that as being a number that they believe is "good" but not really great for most devs. This could also be for a junior dev position, which would come at a lower pay grade. Still, with some negotiation that number could go up.

It was surprisingly similar to Washington summer (when it's sunny), it's just way way WAY more consistently sunny here (it's seriously only rained 2-3 times in the last 8 months)
Welcome to SoCal, what is rain?

Even in the bay area, rain happens only three months out of the year.

I only go to SD for CC, sorry to be one of those in the horde!

I like how pretty SD is compared to parts of LA, but it still feels like a real city unique to itself.

It depends on the area though. SD isn't a huge tech bubble, so I could definitely see that as being a number that they believe is "good" but not really great for most devs. This could also be for a junior dev position, which would come at a lower pay grade. Still, with some negotiation that number could go up.

Yea, it could be at a defense contractor or for a new grad role.

But if he/she has several years experience, you could say "With my experience in x,y,z, I was hoping for $75,000-$80,000" or something along those lines.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Lived there for two years and just moved recently. It's a great city, and has a completely different vibe than other parts of SoCal.

Drivers in SD are next level aggressive though. At least in LA you have aggressive drivers with the driving skill to somewhat back it up. SD drivers, in my experience, are considerably more wreckless.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Yea, it could be at a defense contractor or for a new grad role.

But if he/she has several years experience, you could say "With my experience in x,y,z, I was hoping for $75,000-$80,000" or something along those lines.
Okay, I looked at the LinkedIn salary thing, which is of course going to have a wide range because of the respondent's experience. It's also not unusual to get 80% below an "average" number if you're new or the position is intended for someone with less experience. But in this case, $71.7k would be about that.

https://www.linkedin.com/salary/

Software Engineer in Greater San Diego Area
Base salary
$89,600 /yr

OP
OP
Troll

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
He could be a janitor at a software company for all we know, better to see what he says his position is before we get too crazy.

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i love this city and hate that housing prices are so unaffordable that i'll have to leave at some point

Poj

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I want to move there eventually and settle down. However, I'm kinda boujie and I want a nice house in a nice area like La Jolla. But the expense might not be worth it.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Finally. Thanks for making this OP.

Lived in SD all my life. Absolutely love it and feel really lucky to live here. Always proud to say where im from. Though cost of living is getting a bit high.. wife and I may move once we have kids and they start school.

I know lots of cool foodie spots if anyone wants suggestions.

What's up with that Mario kart pub crawl??

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I lived in SD for close to 10 years til 2012. Live in LA now but frequently come down there. Obviously have tons of friends there.

I miss living around Balboa Park.

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
Nice to see so many others here! I moved here from the Midwest a little over a year ago with my wife and 3 kids for a new job. Had spent a few years in the Bay Area for some of my training, but the weather, pace of life and people in SD is infinitely better for me. Hoping to make it our permanent home, but need the housing market to soften up a little more before we can jump in.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
lived in national city/paradise hills for 23 years before moving to the butthole of california aka central california for a job. cost of living in sd is fucked. i miss it but dont.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I will be there for a conference in about 2 weeks. There for 6 days. Should be fun. One of my favorite cities.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Used to live in La Jolla when I went to school out in San Diego. Not a day goes by when I don't miss it. One of the best cities in the world to live in.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're going out there on spring break in March, doing the zoo and safari park, maybe a whale watching trip. Looking forward to it, we got a pretty dope AirBnB lined up and I've never been to California before.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
SD is a gorgeous city. I used to go every year to SDCC. But unfortunately their politics and unhealthy attachment to the Chargers kept the city from futureproofing the infrastructure needs that large conventions like SDCC needed in the waterfront/Gaslamp area.

Due to this, everything's absurdly expensive to the point where it's cheaper for me to go to Japan over SDCC. Ah well I'll miss San Diego but I'm just completely priced out of returning on a regular basis.

OP
OP
Troll

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I want suggestions! Born and raised in SD but there are so many places to eat.

One of my favorites since childhood: Lido's Italian Foods in Lemon Grove—family owned hole-in-the-wall.
Yooo live like 5 mins away from lidos! We get pizza and beer there all the time. It was great when we'd play Pokémon go cus the front door is a stop.

BrokenBox

Oct 26, 2017
I'm visiting for a few days with my wife in November. Any suggestions for a four day trip?

(Nice timing.)

tjac

Oct 25, 2017
I heard Mario Kart pub crawl is big in the dieg
1L2UeLFhwv7WM.gif

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
This is the #1 city on my list to retire at, but I just don't have my job out there. That might change in ten years when I have a different profession or something similar.

I might visit next year after I do a ton of vacay time in the Caribbeans.

I'm visiting for a few days with my wife in November. Any suggestions for a four day trip?

(Nice timing.)
The zoo is pretty dope. Most of what I did is what 22-25 year old people would be into - which was all alcohol related - so I don't know if anything else would help you.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I live in LA but I visit SD a few times a year.

Lovely city but I'm curious, are people worried about climate change and the rising sea levels?

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I live in LA but I visit SD a few times a year.

Lovely city but I'm curious, are people worried about climate change and the rising sea levels?

It will pretty much only affect the area around downtown. Almost all of the county is uphill from the ocean and would still be around after a 60 foot sea level rise, which is the most extreme map I can find.
Downtown is pretty fucked, though. Not as bad as Miami, but pretty bad

mrkapawutzis

Oct 30, 2017
Lifelong SD resident and currently living in North Park. I love the city but I wish it was a more bicycle friendly city.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Don't live there myself but I have a ton of family out there so I've visited a bunch. Love the place. Food recommendations would be awesome!

OP
OP
Troll

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Since ppl are asking about food I'll post my top five spots feel free to do the same

Taco stand in La Jolla
Home style Hawaiian bbq
Breakfast republic
CREAM
Puesto

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I don't live in San Diego, but my sister in law does, we visit once or twice a year. I couldn't imagine living off of 65k a year, even single with no kids. Housing and gas prices alone are ridiculous

That said it's always nice to go visit there and the food is good. Though our sister in law and her husband were raving about this Mexican restaurant in LA Jolla, so we went and it was pretty average tex mex fair compared to what we get here in Houston. My wife and I had a good laugh about that.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't live in San Diego, but my sister in law does, we visit once or twice a year. I couldn't imagine living off of 65k a year, even single with no kids. Housing and gas prices alone are ridiculous

That said it's always nice to go visit there and the food is good. Though our sister in law and her husband were raving about this Mexican restaurant in LA Jolla, so we went and it was pretty average tex mex fair compared to what we get here in Houston. My wife and I had a good laugh about that.

How do you live in San Diego and not know about the Law Of Inverse Visual Appeal?
(aka, the uglier the Mexican restaurant, better the food)