• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
Semi serious question- are there still comics at Comic- Con?

Feels like there's more focus on whatever the latest Hollywood productions are showcasing. Not to say there hasn't always been that presence there- various genre fandoms have long been part of Con since I first started going, which was probably back in 91 or 92.

I got turned on to a lot of cool stuff over the years due to exhibitors and artists at Comic Con and hope people are still able to connect with creators at as personable of level.

Maybe I'm just salty that I haven't been able to get a ticket for like the last 10 years at least, and lost my opportunity to get to be part of the behind the scenes committees due to outside obligations.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Used to go every year but haven't been in maybe 7 years? Is it still as great as it used to be?

The exclusives racket was getting really bad last time I was there.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So with this having been cancelled the last few years, is the expectation that it'll be more crowded than ever, or do they actually realistically cap attendance (unlike, say, Anime Expo)?

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saturday
avengers-avengers-assemble.gif

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Mattel SDCC Hammond Collection Outhouse Set... between this and Mondo's Godzilla stuff im gonna be broke.

TBD_W_22_110_1500x.jpg

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
my sister-in-law and nephew are in line to play Street Fighter 6 and they don't know how to play. I'm jealous. I told them about modern control option though.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

Feels like there's more focus on whatever the latest Hollywood productions are showcasing. Not to say there hasn't always been that presence there- various genre fandoms have long been part of Con since I first started going, which was probably back in 91 or 92.

I got turned on to a lot of cool stuff over the years due to exhibitors and artists at Comic Con and hope people are still able to connect with creators at as personable of level.

Maybe I'm just salty that I haven't been able to get a ticket for like the last 10 years at least, and lost my opportunity to get to be part of the behind the scenes committees due to outside obligations.

They still have a cool artists alley.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

It's been like this for awhile now. There's still some comics stuff around but if you want a really comic-centric con there's better ones to go to.

Oct 29, 2017
finished up preview night and about to go eat. Was able to get Marvel shirts and played Monster Hunter and Street fighter 6. Street fighter 6 is pretty fun.

Oct 29, 2017

I'm able to buy some books at a good deal whenever I buy.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I can't wait to go! First and last time I went was in 2006. I was like 14 lol. Now I can enjoy it proper. I was able to buy tickets for 2020 but of course that got canceled. Unfortunately I was only able to buy a ticket for Sunday, so that kinda stinks. But still, I can't wait to go!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I went to the Star Wars force awakens panel, met the cast en route to the concert. Saw Idris Elba and the Walking dead cast the night before. And somehow lucked into hall h Marvel. That was con zen.
Haha, i managed to get into that panel, too. We only started getting in line the morning of the day of the panel, though, around 9:30am.

Being from Europe, we only went to SDCC once, and as a life long Star Wars fan, i still can't believe how lucky we were - both to get tickets the first year we attempted to (and for a group of 5 people, no less); and to get into hall H with very limited effort...

edit: Also, to be part of a Star Wars fan event before the franchise got that toxic stench by shitty parts of the fanbase. Immaculate timing.

Ferda

The Fallen
Jan 25, 2019
Portland, OR
Super happy to report I was able to order my Gran Torino Funko on their website this morning. Was also able to get a Ted Lasso, Jeremy Jamm, and Unicron. There were a couple others I was thinking about grabbing but really didn't want to miss out on those ones as the site was being wonky.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Its insane how quickly the offsiites fill up. I couldn't do anything for the Severance one cuz the stupid captcha wasn't working and by the time I could move past it everything was booked.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember living in San Diego for 5-6 years.
Had fun at the off-site areas, but managed to get in the con itself in 2018 and 2019.

Wish I had a chance to attend this year, but I moved back eastside around 2020.

Onyxxx

Jun 21, 2022
what are the chances we get a new actor announcement for T'Challa at SDCC today?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It's unbelievable to me that people wait in line for panels that are virtual anyway.

edited to add: to be clear, I'm not putting down people going to the con, just that I'm really surprised some of these panels are actually virtual, with none of the cast members showing up except on a monitor.

Last edited:

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
It's unbelievable to me that people wait in line for panels that are virtual anyway.

I couldn't fucking do it.

I can't imagine your once in a lifetime trip (which is what it would be for me) only to be in line almost the entire vacation just to see some Marvel actors or a minute of extra footage that I'll be seeing on TV in like two months.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really wish i could have gone this year. My professional badges from the cancelled 2020 rolled over to this year but I got life and shit to do and can't go. Maybe next year, especially now that I live an hour closer and could just make it a day trip.

Oct 29, 2017
The New Beavis and Butt-Head is really funny. They react to Tik Tok videos now. Fire is now an character now. Edit: there's a Daria return tease. Also, full episode with Smart Beavis and Butt-Head!!! Very droll!

Oct 29, 2017
I couldn't fucking do it.

I can't imagine your once in a lifetime trip (which is what it would be for me) only to be in line almost the entire vacation just to see some Marvel actors or a minute of extra footage that I'll be seeing on TV in like two months.
There's more to it than that. There's in depth interviews and meet ups with people you would never get the chance to meet. Also, meeting with people who have similar interests.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
So far have landed probably $100 in free advance copies of books between Tor and Simon & Schuster booths, made it into the Turtle Lair gaming lounge and got a rare black&white print by Kevin Eastman with a signing ticket for him today, played some Street Fighter 6 as Jamie, went to Super 7 Cobra recruitment Center and got some stuff, and me and my wife made it in the standby line to the D&D Tavern Bar for drinks. That one was pretty rad.
At one point in the bar, it starts shaking and a dragon attacks the place and breaths steam into it while you are drinking. You see him fly in from the mountains in a back picture like a Universal ride.

And to the poster way above - Yes, there are plenty of comic books and comic book focused panels that aren't crazy packed. I hit a few of those yesterday too. And plenty of comic sales, especially that last hour of the last day. Previous years IDW, Image, and Dark Horse would go 50-75% off everything since they don't want to pack it up and return it. I walked out of there with a massive stack of heavy ass art books at least one year.

And going to be camping Hall H for WB, Marvel, House of Dragon, etc. tonight. Absolutely don't mind chilling on the back bay in line waiting. I'll bring a few books, my Switch, some food, a chair, and I'm good. It's not this horrible teeth pulling event it's made out to be - unless you are EXTREMELY unpatient. I'm a book reader. I don't get bored if I have one on me.