• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
They're getting blasted in replies and beginning to trend over this bad decision, forcing the workers, guests, and fans to have to choose between this and spending time with their friends and family, in what will almost certainly be an entirely in-person event.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
On Black Friday?

Bold choice, bold choice indeed

Danboard

Oct 27, 2017
Do they think celebrities and executives will want to work on Thanksgiving? For sure they're gonna cancel cause most likely they're gonna ignore the Hotel and convention staff but they can't ignore their celebrity guests and industry heads.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do they think celebrities and executives will want to work on Thanksgiving? For sure they're gonna cancel cause most likely they're gonna ignore the Hotel and convention staff but they can't ignore their celebrity guests and industry heads.

Thursday isn't a huge day for panels. Or at least it wasn't when I used to go a long-ass time ago.
I worked at the pro registration tables for a while and a lot of those people didn't show up until Saturday or even Sunday.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
LMAO...as a chinese...that will be equivilant to having a chinese movie expo that takes place on the chinese new year weekend.

Who's really gonna attend it?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The more you think about it, the more what boner the decision is, like were first time visitors to this planet making the decision?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I get that they wanted to move it as late in the year as possible, but jesus. Either of the first two weekends in December would honestly have been better than this. I'm guessing these were the only dates the convention center was available but still.

soniko_

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
they are banking on "what made us traditional", so, it'll probably be the exhibit hall and a small number of conferences

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting how they manage the crowds. This is what it usually looks like...
pcAKwd1l.jpg

I assume they will limit the number of tickets sold. I do have to say that I think my comic con days are over, I just can't see myself being comfortable in big crowds like this anymore.

Note: I've been there so many times, I may or may not be in this photo.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
All I could think of is maybe they thought having it during thanksgiving would lead to less disappointments for presumably the tigher amount of tickets that will be sold. And even then, it makes no sense ("Lets have an event and plan it on a day people won't want to come, where we don't know where consumer confidence will be because of the pandemic, because we want to make money this year")

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The assumption that many bartenders, cleaning staff, and hotel employees make enough money to travel/vacation over Thanksgiving weekend strikes me as pretty naive. They shouldn't be strongarmed into working over Thanksgiving, but those positions don't really leave you wealthy enough to take off 4 days in a row and pay inflated airfare on top of it.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do they think celebrities and executives will want to work on Thanksgiving?
A lot of the people that show up to these things do not get regular work as actors, and strongly rely on convention income that they get from autographs & photographs. Those people have had zero convention income for over a year now, and are very much looking forward to resuming the convention circuit.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The day after thanksgiving everybody is just shopping anyway, if people don't want to than go next year, after having a year of nothing,

It feels like people wouldn't getting back to normal considering that it's just a once in a lifetime thing.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if you purchased SDCC tickets last year, are they just rolling them over to the new Thanksgiving event? I would be pretty pissed about that.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I thought they decided already to hold it without people attending again this year?

If not, hoo-boy. SDCC is not where I'd want to be during Thanksgiving weekend. And I went there for 5 years between 2012-2017.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought they decided already to hold it without people attending again this year?
Most other big conventions are tentatively aiming to take place later in the year, at full scale or close to it.....many of them probably can't survive skipping two years in a row, and their insurance companies will probably not pay out for another cancelled event.

soniko_

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
it's gonna be a shitshow.

most of the staff that conforms comic con is volunteers, and around 60-80% of volunteers are from Baja, so yeah.

They stated that they need the income not only for the CCI organization, but also for the surrounding area. It'll be really really fun to see this blow all over their own faces.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the service workers who support this event should threaten to walk off the job for anything less than double overtime.

Unions and collective bargaining.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting date to put Comic-Con there.

I'm usually home all that weekend so it will just be me watching panels and new movie trailers.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
How on earth did they not see an issue with this?!

A lot of the people that show up to these things do not get regular work as actors, and strongly rely on convention income that they get from autographs & photographs. Those people have had zero convention income for over a year now, and are very much looking forward to resuming the convention circuit.
But don't the big celebs show up for the panels?

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Thanksgiving weekend? That is an insanely bad decision. Could SDCC not negotiate ANY other time with the convention center and hotels besides a major US holiday?

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't talking about the panels. They're talking about lesser-known celebrities who do autographs and photo ops at conventions to supplement their income.
I understand, but Comic Con are also going to lose out on the big names who are part of the draw in addition to fucking over all the lesser known celebs and the staff that will have to work during the holiday.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanksgiving weekend is a bold move.

Good luck.gif