• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just patiently waiting for Star Wars Celebration to be cancelled now and their plans on that.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I went to SDCC for 15 years and there was absolutely no way in hell they could hold it. The only time you are 6 feet away from another human being is when you're in your hotel room.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
never been to the event itself but I've been in the gaslamp during ComicCon and yeah I don't see how it would have been possible. Not just the convention center but the entire area is just packed with people for a good 3-4 days. Would have been a complete disaster for contagion purposes.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was always going to be. I had been going to SDCC up until 2 years ago, and it's just not safe to have that many people in close proximity to each other all over downtown San Diego.

Plus, it would be a good time to hold a virtual SDCC so that trailers for shows, games, and movies can still be shown online.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Events like this, concerts, sports, festivals... are not going to take place in 2020. Everyone who has spoken transparently that works in these industries says 2021, at the EARLIEST.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A reminder that why a lot of conventions are just now cancelling or waited awhile to cancel is for insurance purposes.

Most likely in these cases the conventions have to wait for the city, state, or center to basically say "Yeah this isn't happening" for them to get some of their money back.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Completely understandable and expected but holy shit is it still mind-blowing that this is what it's come to.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel sorry for all the people that were lucky enough to get tickets. Just getting passes for the show is a nightmare, and now they'll have to endure it all over again for 2021.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
When I started the year with a vacation to Vegas I did not think that would be the highlight for the entire year. Just been downhill since then. Everyone knew it wasn't gonna happen no matter how hopeful people were.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Even in a normal year you'll almost guaranteed return home with the "Con crud", so there was really no other choice. Everything is going to be cancelled.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that they outright cancelled it, rather than delaying to later in the year.

A lot of spring conventions just rescheduled to mid/late summer. Emerald City Con (Seattle) is still a go for August......MegaCon (Orlando) is holding steady on June 4-7.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that they outright cancelled it, rather than delaying to later in the year.

A lot of spring conventions just rescheduled to mid/late summer. Emerald City Con (Seattle) is still a go for August......MegaCon (Orlando) is holding steady on June 4-7.
It's California, no concerts or going to Sports until there's a Vaccine so it's done for 2020

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Those are getting canceled for sure, nothing is happening this year fam

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

I have a hard time believing those will happen. We can make certain strides in trying to bring some semblance of normalcy to our lives over the next few months, but big event gatherings like that I don't see occurring again until there is a vaccine.

If you had plans on attending any sort of festival, convention, concert at any point in 2020 or before there is a mass produced vaccine, I would just assume it ain't happening.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
300px-Surprised_Pikachu_HD.jpg

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised they're not trying to do an online show.

People have wanted them to stream for years, and this is a good opportunity to try it.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Not gonna be shocked if NYCC follows suit too. The Javits Center is literally being used to take care of coronavirus patients right now. However, if NYCC isn't cancelled, I won't be shocked if we see a lot of the celebrities pull out because of the health risk.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017

From what I experienced when I went to SDCC, it's more than just the con, its a big San Diego event. I would imagine the logistics need to be in place for many many months, and it's easier to cancel until next year than to try to get all that in place 3-4 months later.

neonglow

Oct 25, 2017
I feel sorry for all the people that were lucky enough to get tickets. Just getting passes for the show is a nightmare, and now they'll have to endure it all over again for 2021.
Tickets transfer over to 2021 automatically so it's one less thing to worry about. You can request a refund if you want though.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow, that's pretty cool of them. I figured they would just refund everybody and reboot for next year.

I imagine it's far more work for them to completely cancel all tickets and also people would be really angry. Especially people who got in for the first time ever. I'm happy with the decision they made.