• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Yeah, that I agree with. It's going to sting if (when, really) the full roster is revealed and my favorites aren't on it.
For sure. It stung with One Piece 4, but the game was so good that I accepted it. I just hope if they add characters to 5 it's through an expansion with more story and features, rather than a season pass that only includes characters.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
You can see a couple distinct unannounced characters in the trailer, besides the already mentioned ones who are probably Tadakatsu and Hanzo.

nCWNEAH.png

One next to Noh who is probably Oichi, and one next to Hideyoshi in the back, maybe Toshiie Maeda.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
That roster size is a huge bummer. Did we really need Samurai Warriors: The Early Years at the cost of cutting half the characters?

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still very bothered by No getting a bow. Should have just given her a naginata like Nioh. Speaking of that game though it'd be nice if we got dlc costumes of those iterations of the characters in here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I still ache over this. All of them are already localized on PS4 and Steam, so it's only a matter of just slapping the localizations onto the Switch ports, then plopping them onto the eShop for $40 USD/$50 CDN. Profit.

Really want to play SW4 in particular as it looks like a much better port than DW8XLDE was. It's weird that the latter felt like it got the short end, but maybe SW4 was done better due to more experience? Dunno.

Also, you'd think Age of Calamity would rip that audience potential wide open to entice said localizations.
Wish they'd bring over the Gundam warriors game to switch
That roster size is a huge bummer. Did we really need Samurai Warriors: The Early Years at the cost of cutting half the characters?
They're overhauling the movesets, so focusing the time period just give an easier focus to who they're using instead of stretching things out

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to miss Masanori so much. He was the perfect dumb but good-hearted deliquent.

Takatora should be in the game if only because Nagamasa is a big part of Nobunaga's story.

Oct 26, 2017
I was actually hoping we'd get a Dynasty Warriors 2 HD o Switch ala the Monster Rancher ports. 4:3 with boarders, locked 1080p and 60fps with that lovely crusty CD size gameplay, $20 USD/$30 CDN on the eShop, profit.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Talking about Empires.. I wonder when DW9 Empires is coming out, been a while since we had some news about it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Talking about Empires.. I wonder when DW9 Empires is coming out, been a while since we had some news about it.
That's a good question. I tried looking for info on it, but there really hasn't been anything new since the trailer indicating "Early 2021". So if that window is still true, we should be getting news on it relatively soon.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Samurai Warriors is the other Musou IP other than Empires that features character creation right? Is it confirmed for 5? I would love to jump in if it's the case

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
It's going to be sad seeing so many characters getting the cut for this game.

Inahime will probably not be in this :(

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Samurai Warriors is the other Musou IP other than Empires that features character creation right? Is it confirmed for 5? I would love to jump in if it's the case
Samurai Warriors Chronicles on the 3DS has OC avatars, but character creation is normally reserved for Empires. I would not expect it to appear in SW5.

I feel your pain. :(

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Samurai Warriors Chronicles on the 3DS has OC avatars, but character creation is normally reserved for Empires. I would not expect it to appear in SW5.

I could have sworn I've seen "officer/character editor" features for SW3, 4 and 4-2. It's why I've been so close to buying SW games so many times XD. My mistake.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Samurai Warriors 3 and 4 (and 4-2) had character creation in the base game actually, complete with an unique mode just for them (although 3's system was very limited). I don't think it's happening this time though, but it still could get announced.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
That's a good question. I tried looking for info on it, but there really hasn't been anything new since the trailer indicating "Early 2021". So if that window is still true, we should be getting news on it relatively soon.
KT will be presenting something at NG+ Expo on March 4, so maybe there.

Samurai Warriors 3 and 4 (and 4-2) had character creation in the base game actually, complete with an unique mode just for them (although 3's system was very limited). I don't think it's happening this time though, but it still could get announced.
SW4 had a Chronicles mode with CAW. It wasn't very fun, but had some trophies behind it. I also doubt it's coming back to SW5.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I could have sworn I've seen "officer/character editor" features for SW3, 4 and 4-2. It's why I've been so close to buying SW games so many times XD. My mistake.

Ah. Yeah, you're right. It's been a long time since I touched either SW3 or base SW4.

Oct 26, 2017

I think Inahime has a good chance, since Tadakatsu and Hanzo have been seemingly confirmed. Right now, we only have Nouhime and the new ninja gal as our only ladies in the game thus far. We already have Oichi seemingly confirmed, so I think Inahime has a good chance.

Since the game seems so focused on Nobunaga's story, it really makes you wonder who will be in. Will we see any of the later sengoku era players? People like the Shimazu or the Tachibana? What about stuff like the Hojo clan, or even long time SW mascots like Yukimura or Mitsunari? It'll be really interesting following the reveal cycle for this game!

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I wanted to play SW4 on my Vita today (or at least upload the save and play on PS4) - but that PSN issue since yesterday is not going away....

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
At the very least, there's hope for the other spots that have yet to be revealed.

I think Inahime has a good chance, since Tadakatsu and Hanzo have been seemingly confirmed. Right now, we only have Nouhime and the new ninja gal as our only ladies in the game thus far. We already have Oichi seemingly confirmed, so I think Inahime has a good chance.
It would be great to see her again (my most used character) but since she's on the younger side of the cast and that Nouhime already uses a bow... don't know what to expect :s

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
At the very least, there's hope for the other spots that have yet to be revealed.

It would be great to see her again (my most used character) but since she's on the younger side of the cast and that Nouhime already uses a bow... don't know what to expect :s
We go full circle, and Ina shows up as a child with a kendama toy.

I'm sorry.

Oct 27, 2017
Samurai Warriors 1 had my favorite Character Creation out of any of the Musou games. And not because it was super deep with customization options but because it had a story campaign just for your officer with a split path resulting in different endings like every other main character had. Plus that pretty cool training mode that your Custom Character had to go through.

I'm hoping 5 brings that back but I don't think they'd put in effort like that anymore for a side thing.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Only today did I check the main site for the game because they revealed Oichi and Nagamasa and oof, I don't dig the vast majority of these redesign though I suppose the game will take place during Yoshimoto's reign (he at least look decent here). A lot of them seem to have lost their trademark weapon in favor of more "realistic" ones, like DW6 and seems there's only going to be 27 characters.

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the latest issue of Famitsu has some more SW5 news. Tadakatsu Honda and Toshiie Maeda were officially revealed. Tadakatsu looks younger, Toshiie looks kinda older? Nagamasa and Oichi both got their weapons revealed, as well; Nagamasa has a katana and Oichi uses paper charms(she attacks people with origami molds). Tadakatsu and Toshiie both wield spears.

Not a whole lot of weapon variety so far. We got three katana users(Nobunaga, Mitsuhide, Nagamasa), and four spear users(Katsuie, Toshiie, Tadakatsu, Toshimitsu) so far. The only outliers right now are Ieyasu(dual katanas), Yoshimoto(big hammer), Mitsuki(gauntlets/iron knuckles), Hideyoshi(naginata), Oichi(paper/origami) and Nohime(bow). I hope to see more weapon variety as more characters are revealed.

Some gameplay details were noted as well. Looks like hyper attacks are back, and the rage mode musous are also back. And, it looks like characters can now equip up to 4 different moves?

The tweet mentioned the equippable moves being like OP Pirate Warriors 4 and Fate/Extella, but I never played those games, so I don't know what to expect from that.

Last edited:

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
So they are keeping the god rush combos huh? Well I guess Im not gonna be checking out SW5 then cause I never liked that addition to the combat.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
...Admittedly, I'm not very enthused, hearing that Shinsoku/Hyper combos are back.

But on the other hand, at least it's something that's being developed from the ground-up, rather than something that was, in a lot of cases, grafted on to movesets dating back to SW1. Maybe it'll be better done here, as a result.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Oichi's new weapon sounds interesting. Shame that the same can't be said about Nagamasa switching to a katana.

Overall, I think my response to this latest info is "meh". I want to be more hyped - and I'm not losing interest in the game - but I need more that I can sink my teeth into.

Oct 26, 2017
For those interested in catching it live, there will be a Samurai Warriors 5 livestream tomorrow at 6:00 AM MST:

Katsuie's and Ieyasu's voice actors will be guests. This stream will also showcase real gameplay footage, reveal new characters, and also show off some stuff from the special edition.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Thanks, looking forward to it! I'm curious about level/mission structures, I really hope they add some more strategic elements when compared to SW4

Oct 26, 2017
I missed the stream live, but a bunch of new stuff was revealed for the game:

--Five characters were revealed. Two returning; Hanbei Takenaka and Kanbei Kuroda. Three new characters: Shikanosuke Yamanaka, Kazuuji Nakamura, and Sena. They were added to the official website: https://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/sw5/character/ Also, three characters were confirmed as unique NPCs: Dosan Saito, Yoshitatsu Saito, and Nobuyuki Oda; maybe future DLC?

--Three way battles are back, like they were in SW1.

--There will be 15 weapon types in the game at launch. Which, unfortunately means that there will be clones in this game. It's also been confirmed that characters can wield any weapon type, like in DW7-9, but there does not appear to be weapon switching mid-combat like in DW7-8. Wielding a character's favorite weapon will expand their moveset(charge attacks, etc). It's possible that the clone aspect might not be *that* bad, but we'll see.

--You go into battle with two characters selected, and you can swap to them at any time, like in SW4.

--It appears that you can lock onto enemy generals now in combat.

--A DLC season pass was confirmed. The season pass contains additional story/stage scenarios, more mounts, and more weapons(described as five sets of weapons; three weapons in a set. Unknown if these weapons are new or not, like how there was new weapon/moveset DLC in DW9). No character DLC was announced as of yet. Costume DLC was shown(SW1 costumes)

From what I understand, Shikanosuke and Kazuuji were both present at the Battle of Yamazaki; Shikanosuke siding with Mitsuhide, and Kazuuji siding with Hideyoshi. This means that Yamazaki will more than likely be in the game. Other than that, I'm a little unsure what to think of the gameplay changes. 15 weapon types at launch sounds very disappointing, but the uniqueness of each character might make up for it. I do like that SW4 style character swapping mid-combat is in! I'm feeling optimistic about this one so far, maybe in a slightly cautious fashion.

Last edited:

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I missed the stream live, but a bunch of new stuff was revealed for the game:

--Five characters were revealed. Two returning; Hanbei Takenaka and Kanbei Kuroda. Three new characters: Shikanosuke Yamanaka, Kazuuji Nakamura, and Sena. They were added to the official website: https://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/sw5/character/ Also, three characters were confirmed as unique NPCs: Dosan Saito, Yoshitatsu Saito, and Nobuyuki Oda; maybe future DLC?

--Three way battles are back, like they were in SW1.

--There will be 15 weapon types in the game at launch. Which, unfortunately means that there will be clones in this game. It's also been confirmed that characters can wield any weapon type, like in DW7-9, but there does not appear to be weapon switching mid-combat like in DW7-8. Wielding a character's favorite weapon will expand their moveset(charge attacks, etc). It's possible that the clone aspect might not be *that* bad, but we'll see.

--You go into battle with two characters selected, and you can swap to them at any time, like in SW4.

--It appears that you can lock onto enemy generals now in combat.

--A DLC season pass was confirmed. The season pass contains additional story/stage scenarios, more mounts, and more weapons(described as five sets of weapons; three weapons in a set. Unknown if these weapons are new or not, like how there was new weapon/moveset DLC in DW9). No character DLC was announced as of yet. Costume DLC was shown(SW1 costumes)

From what I understand, Shikanosuke and Kazuuji were both present at the Battle of Yamazaki; Shikanosuke siding with Mitsuhide, and Kazuuji siding with Hideyoshi. This means that Yamazaki will more than likely be in the game. Other than that, I'm a little unsure what to think of the gameplay changes. 15 weapon types at launch sounds very disappointing, but the uniqueness of each character might make up for it. I do like that SW4 style character swapping mid-combat is in! I'm feeling optimistic about this one so far, maybe in a slightly cautious fashion.
Thanks for the updates. Unfortunately maybe its just me but the more I hear the less interested I become, hope its not remembered like dw6 is

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Watched the livestream and the visuals look mega rough for a PS4 game. I remember Samurai Warriors 4II looking significantly better. I suppose Switch is the lead platform for this one.

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the updates. Unfortunately maybe its just me but the more I hear the less interested I become, hope its not remembered like dw6 is

Right now, I think this looks much better than DW6 is, and better than DW7 looked at the time, in terms of mechanics and gameplay. I'm withholding judgment on the whole cloning thing until after the game releases, because the whole favorite weapon expanding the moveset might be more extensive than it was in DW7, where it just gave the character their EX move. Plus, if the weapon DLC is more extensive than it was in DW9, then I'd consider that a good addition to the game.

Some other observations from the recent stream & news:

--There are nine more characters to be revealed. Hanzo is all but guaranteed to be one of them, but the other eight is a toss up. I think we're going to see Kenshin, Shingen and Magoichi return for sure. For the rest, I can't predict for sure. I think we'll probably get Yoshikage Asakura and Nagahide Niwa as new characters, but there's a lot of characters that could make it in. Shikanosuke's addition probably means that we'll get a Mori clan member in the game; mayne Motonari Mori. And, both Hanbei and Kanbei being in makes it seem like Takakage Kobayakawa will return. We'll probably get two characters in the next Famitsu, and then another two or three more in Koei/Tecmo's next SW5 stream.

--The stream showcased part of one battle: the Battle of Nagaragawa, aka Yoshitatsu Saito's coup against Dosan Saito. Historically, Nobunaga tried to lend aid, but his forces arrive too late to save Dosan. Mitsuhide was also believed to have taken part in this battle, and it's reflected in the game, and is probably the first time that both Nobunaga and Mitsuhide meet up in game. This battle takes place before Okehazama, so it seems like Yoshimoto is going to be a real arc villain for Nobunaga in this game. Nobuyuki Oda being in as a UNPC probably means we might see Nobuyuki's revolt against Nobunaga, which also takes place before Okehazama.

--There are 15 weapon types, and 12 have been revealed:

-"Over the shoulder" katana(Nobunaga, and maybe Nagamasa)

-Iaido-style katana(Mitsuhide)

-Spear(Katsuie, Toshimitsu)

-Tonbo-giri(Tadakatsu, Toshiie)

-Naginata(Hideyoshi, Sena)

-Paper/Origami(Oichi, Kanbei)

-Dual katanas(Ieyasu, Shikanosuke)

-Bow(Nohime)

-Tsuzumi Drum(Hanbei)

-Giant Mallet(Yoshimoto)

-Iron knuckles(Mitsuki)

-Dual hand cannons(Kazuuji)

That leaves three more weapons. I think we'll see a normal bayonet rifle, a war fan(Shingen's old weapon), and then another new weapon.

Oct 26, 2017
This week's Famitsu unveiled five more characters for SW5, all of whom are returning SW alumni:

Kenshin Uesugi

Shingen Takeda

Motonari Mori

Takakage Kobayakawa

Hisahide Matsunaga

I like how my boys Kenshin and Shingen are looking. Kenshin looks mad handsome this time around, he reminds me of that tuberculosis dude from Bleach. Takakage and Motonari being back means that they will effectively be the Ikko-Ikki faction during that period of Nobunaga's campaign. And, I'm glad Hisahide's back, he was my favorite from SW4. It looks like Tadakatsu, Toshiie and Shingen all share the same weapon type.

This just leaves four more characters, and one them is for sure Hanzo. I'd say Magoichi is another one of them, and that leaves two more. I'd say one of them is Yoshikage Asakura, and the other being either Nagahide Niwa or Matsu Maeda.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Those desings look kinda neat! Waiting for some gameplay now.

Inahime's chance are kinda low it seems :(

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Questions of shared weapons aside, I love each and every one of those character designs. I'm not even sure which one is my favorite; I'm happy with all five.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Interesting that Kenshin is going by his birthname of Nagao Kagetora, this time around. Mayhaps that means we'll actually get to see a bit more from Shingen and Kenshin besides Kawanakajima, as usual?

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting that Kenshin is going by his birthname of Nagao Kagetora, this time around. Mayhaps that means we'll actually get to see a bit more from Shingen and Kenshin besides Kawanakajima, as usual?

Since the story seems really focused on Nobunaga and Mitsuhide, I don't know how much of a focus rivalries like Kenshin/Shingen will get.

I've recently been playing through Spirit of Sanada, and I like how that game handles non-Sanada events/battles, in that you can select them at your leisure during the course of the story. If we do get Kawanakajima, I bet it'll be treated as a side battle.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Man, most if not all of the new designs for the returnees have been glow-ups. Motonari Mori in particular looks a lot better than in his previous design.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Man, most if not all of the new designs for the returnees have been glow-ups. Motonari Mori in particular looks a lot better than in his previous design.
I was just listening to Dynasty Warriors music today (with DW6's Ignition being one of my favorites).

I hope that Dynasty Warriors 10 has redesigns and its own art-style.

Can't wait!

Also, hello again, fellow Dynasty Warriors 9 appreciator.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I was just listening to Dynasty Warriors music today (with DW6's Ignition being one of my favorites).

I hope that Dynasty Warriors 10 has redesigns and its own art-style.

Can't wait!

Also, hello again, fellow Dynasty Warriors 9 appreciator.
Yo!

Yeah, I wonder how this might bode for DW10's art direction. I don't see it getting a full SW5-style reboot, but a refreshed art direction would be interesting to see.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Yo!

Yeah, I wonder how this might bode for DW10's art direction. I don't see it getting a full SW5-style reboot, but a refreshed art direction would be interesting to see.
I just hope they re-use previous ideas, songs, gameplay mechanics, etc. Cobble all the good stuff from the previous games together. And bring back bodyguards for crying out loud! Also: allowing you to make your own officer in the main game (rather then the Empires version of the title).

And for goodness' sake: include the song Ignition for the Yellow Turban level:

Oct 26, 2017
Tecmo/Koei confirmed that their next SW5 stream will take place April 23rd, at 09:00 PM JST, which I believe is 06:00 AM, MST. This stream will reveal the final four playable characters, showcase more gameplay, and also unveil the second official trailer.

The latest Famitsu issue also gave an official confirmation of which weapons each character uses.

Large Blade/Nodachi: Nobunaga, Kenshin

Katana: Mitsuhide, Nagamasa, Takakage

Twin Katanas: Ieyasu, Shikanosuke

Spear: Katsuie, Toshimitsu

Great Spear/Tonbo-giri: Shingen, Toshiie, Tadakatsu

Naginata: Hideyoshi, Sena

Bow: Nō, Motonari

Paper Talisman: Oichi, Kanbei

Cannon: Hisahide, Kazuuji

Gauntlets: Mitsuki

Giant Hammer: Yoshimoto

Tsuzumi Drum: Hanbei

There are still three weapon types that have yet to be revealed. So, at least three of the characters shown on the next stream will have their own weapon types. Maybe Hanzo will get the kusarigama back?