• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy they're not doing the dreaded open world formula that destroyed DW9. Keep these games level based Koei!

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
If this game is really going to be serious about focusing only on Nobunaga and Mitsuhide, then it'd have to end at Honnoji/Yamazaki. Maybe they pull a trick and have Mitsuhide survive like the one historical rumor goes, so they can go further. They did that in Nioh actually.
Yeah, I'm surprised none of the SWs have Tenkai yet. Onimusha did it and then Basara did it too.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
After Nioh 2 having young Nobunaga, and Chronicles 3 giving us an earlier battle than Okehezama with Nagorigawa, I was anticipating they'd have some more focus on Nobunaga's early stuff, wasn't expected a Spirit of Sanada type game though.

You can see Oda soldiers fighting against soldiers with the Saito banner. Nobunaga's father-in-law, Dosan Saito, has had a unique appearance since SW1, and I've been wondering if they'll ever add him. This should finally be the opportunity to do so. I imagine his son, Yoshitatsu, will get added too. There's a good story to be told with them.

There's another battle against soldiers with the Imagawa banner. And its daytime, so I doubt its Okehazama, what with it being a nighttime battle. I take it Nobunaga isn't going to be lord at the beginning, and we'll be seeing his father, and his fights against Yoshimoto Imagawa. Hope they take a cue from Nioh 2, and make Yoshimoto not a joke character. They were already doing a split personality/facade thing in SW4, so they could go further with that.

I imagine we'll be seeing younger Ieyasu, as a hostage and friend to Nobunaga. Hideyoshi should be around, I was wondering if he was the brown haired dude in the trailer. Could be Toshiie too. I have no idea who the red haired ninja girl is. It'd be a pretty drastic redesign for Nene, but maybe it is? I want to see Yasuke in this game.

If this game is really going to be serious about focusing only on Nobunaga and Mitsuhide, then it'd have to end at Honnoji/Yamazaki. Maybe they pull a trick and have Mitsuhide survive like the one historical rumor goes, so they can go further. They did that in Nioh actually.

I'm worried about the moveset revamps. I'm going to miss Nobunaga's lightsaber. And I can't say I'm happy about Noh getting a bow instead of the claws. And I wonder how many characters we end up losing with the narrowed focus.

Speaking of other things the Nioh games did, I wonder if this will finally be the game that introduces a take on the guy in my DP. A game that focuses on Nobunaga's career would give plenty of opportunity to incorporate him as another one of his retainers.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see if this does well. Warriors "fans" hate any kind of change with the series. I'm sad we will never see an open world Sengoku game.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see if this does well. Warriors "fans" hate any kind of change with the series. I'm sad we will never see an open world Sengoku game.

Honestly if they made a good one I would be all over it. I had high hopes for DW9 but everyone seems to always say how bad it is sadly.

Aranea

Oct 25, 2017
After the shitshow that is DW9 and WO4, I'm extremely excited for this

As long as there's no open world or cloned movesets (Seeing No having a bow is a bit concerning though, hope they give her the claws later on) I'm open and willing to give anything they try new in there a chance

Oct 29, 2017
I really hope they put in the new characters from Spirit of Sanada since they for some reason didn't include them in Warriors Orochi 4.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Hyped for early Sengoku! Oda is still a great character to explore. I hate when he gets portrayed as a mustache twirling villain in games. Both Nioh games and Kessen 3 were much better in how they handled him.

Things said by people not even playing Musou games.
Never not astonished about the dismissal of the genre by everyone.

Ain't that the truth about Era in general sometimes.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I mean, it'd be a tall order to redesign every SW character and give them all different movelists just for one game.

Which is a shame because I absolutely love SW4 and wanted more of that.

It would be a tall order. Just cutting characters is normally not received well by fans and can get the game going out on a wrong foot.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Things said by people not even playing Musou games.
Never not astonished about the dismissal of the genre by everyone.
Yup. I see similar responses in relation to Yakuza (because apparently one is released every week going by some people on here...)
If anything, feels like Musou releases have really slowed down as of late, but maybe that's just me? Either way, this one focusing on a younger Nobunaga has me instantly interested.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Yup. I see similar responses in relation to Yakuza (because apparently one is released every week going by some people on here...)
If anything, feels like Musou releases have really slowed down as of late, but maybe that's just me?
They really have. There have been five from 2018-2020. Compared to the seven that came out 2016-2017. I'm not complaining though, it's led to higher quality games.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
One of the best reveals from the Direct for me. Looking forward to seeing the character designs as they start revealing them.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much of the existing SW roster will get younger incarnations? Spirits of Sanada had younger versions of some of the cast, but everyone was ultimately included in it.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
... I'm not into it. Mitsuhide and Nohime's designs look like absolute trash, and the latter being given a bow? What?

They fucking Sun Shang Xiang'd her and I'm livid.

There better be an aging system.

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
I'll have to see more. At first glance I just don't like the style. It feels...sterile somehow. The stills and stylization after musou are cool though.

I've been a fan of the franchise for years but I think DW9 killed all of my momentum. I bought OP4 day one and while I know its a solid game I can't spend more than 5 minutes on it. I'll stay cautiously optimistic.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I hope there's a Castle survival mode. Every time those have appeared in Samurai Warriors, I've gotten hooked on them.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I bought OP4 day one and while I know its a solid game I can't spend more than 5 minutes on it.
Adding new characters but not making new scenarios or stuff to go with them pretty much doomed this game. I'd play the DLC people about ten or so times and then just put it down. It has very little replayability compared to PW3.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I am not really familiar with the Samurai series, is there a good entry point game?
SW4's story mode is one of the best story modes in the entire franchise. They try to cram so much stuff from the fall of Imagawa all the way to Yukimura's last stand. Each character gets their own list of side missions for every stage leading to different encounters and cutscenes. Being able to play each mission in varying perspectives really hooked me into the game.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
SW4's story mode is one of the best story modes in the entire franchise. They try to cram so much stuff from the fall of Imagawa all the way to Yukimura's last stand. Each character gets their own list of side missions for every stage leading to different encounters and cutscenes. Being able to play each mission in varying perspectives really hooked me into the game.
I guess 4-2 is the way to go then?

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Nope. 4-2 is pretty much a whole new game with a focus on the new characters they added that didn't get much attention in the story. The main story in 4 isn't present. Think of it like an expansion pack. You'll want to get regular 4 if you want to experience the full Sengoku period storyline.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
4-2 is more or less an expansion to SW4. It doesn't have all of the story content of SW4-1. In the past, KT would have released 4-2 as SW4: Xtreme Legends as a proper expansion, but they legally can't do that in the way they had anymore because Capcom sued them on patent infringement.

Returners

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't decide if DW9 is worse than DW6. Renbu is very very trash.

Love the new designs though, not used to Nobunaga being a young hip guy like Yukimura.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017

Fully agreed. I was so surprised to see how much content I had when I played this on the Vita years back. Hoping SW5 lives up to SW4.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I usually pick up Dynasty Warriors, but was told 9 was not that great. Ill probably wait for the next Warriors Orochi

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
using the power of technology i have approximated what this new design of nobunaga would look like with facial hair and some age lines

EprHNTQ.png

hey wait a sec....

that's just nobunaga!

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Not that I expect it to happen since it's very heavily focused on the Oda/Akechi storyline, but I wonder if Dousetsu "Survived a fucking lightning strike" Tachibana will show up in this one given the time period.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
The artstyle change is interesting. Reminds me that Oneechanbara Origins went also for celshading.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Same here. I'm disappointed that we'll never get an open-world Japan like we got for China, but as long as the distinct levels are good, I'm fine either way.
+1, I have hundreds of hours in DW9 and still play it to this day. I was looking forward to an openworld Sengoku musou, but right now I'm just happy we're getting another SW. I'm really curious about DW9 Empires - I know it's not going to be openworld, but I think it can be a great game being built on DW9.