• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if we are lucky the game will progress THROUGHOUT Oda's life, and he will get his kick ass demon armor/sword and his OG look, alongside the amazing built up cast.
That would be perfect.

It could even let them avoid "older" characters looking younger than others that should be younger than them. If they do that for most of them atleast (doubt they will as it will take too much work).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Alongside Kotaro Fuma Oda is probably one of the best (and one of my favorite) designs in ANY musou game.

400px-Nobunaga_oda_sw2.png

Yup.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I would love if it was like the Sanada game, but focused on Nobunaga.

Since it's a numbered installment it probably won't be this, but I imagine they will put more effort into Nobunaga and Mitsuhide's specific campaigns to square things off.

Which is probably good, Mitsuhide in particular has been markedly sidelined post-SW2.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017

Look at at clean ass design!! That man has style.

That would be perfect.

It could even let them avoid "older" characters looking younger than others that should be younger than them. If they do that for most of them atleast (doubt they will as it will take too much work).

Yeah, I would love if it was like the Sanada game, but focused on Nobunaga.

These are both good points, and honestly I feel like a chronicle of his life is the ONLY way we are going to see the majority of the cast because otherwise they can't show up, and I don't imagine Koei is going to invent 30+ new characters

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Look at at clean ass design!! That man has style.

The interesting thing about his SW5 design is that while he's YOUNGER, it really does just look like a clean-shaven Nobunaga if you pause the trailer on one of his close-ups. As soon as the facial hair pops up it'll be the face we know, I imagine.

Nioh 2 did the exact same thing last year, amusingly.

maxresdefault.jpg

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I mean:

This is a mother and son. Age in Samurai Warriors never made sense and they went with whats "cool" so it sucks they removed one of the coolest looking characters and replaced them with yet another young person.
The last spin-off, Spirits of Sanada, had two completely separate Yukimuras though, so there is still a chance the older Nobunaga will be there too.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Since it's a numbered installment it probably won't be this, but I imagine they will put more effort into Nobunaga and Mitsuhide's specific campaigns to square things off.

Which is probably good, Mitsuhide in particular has been markedly sidelined post-SW2.

I just wonder, assuming it doesn't progress through decades of time, what other characters will they be pulling to make playable? Have they EVER grabbed officers from around this time and made them playable?

The interesting thing about his SW5 design is that while he's YOUNGER, it really does just look like a clean-shaven Nobunaga if you pause the trailer on one of his close-ups. As soon as the facial hair pops up it'll be the face we know, I imagine.

Nioh 2 did the exact same thing last year, amusingly.

I really hope we get to see him with some facial hair, lol, it is too iconic.

Ironically enough I am downloading Nioh 2 now.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Man not a fan of those redesigns. Especially Nobunaga is just inferior.

No PS5 or Series version is also a choice. Hopefullythey will at least include a mode with uncapped framerate at a high resolution.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just wonder, assuming it doesn't progress through decades of time, what other characters will they be pulling to make playable? Have they EVER grabbed officers from around this time and made them playable?

I imagine we're going to see like a Nobunaga Arc and then a post-Nobunaga Arc. They definitely got enough mileage out of the Tokugawa/Toyotomi conflict in the previous two games so I imagine they won't EMPHASIZE that part of history as much.

That being said, there really aren't that many hugely prominent generals from that era outside of Nobunaga, Tokugawa, Hideyoshi (eventually), Mitsuhide and Imagawa. They usually like to pair Hanzo with Tokugawa in the Imagawa days but I don't think Hanzo WAS active at that time? (edit: checked, I'm wrong, he DID fight with Ieyasu against the Imagawa, lol)

They could promote Hidemitsu Akechi to playable, I guess? Make a bit of a joke about the fact we'll never get another Onimusha but here's Samanosuke anyway?

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine we're going to see like a Nobunaga Arc and then a post-Nobunaga Arc. They definitely got enough mileage out of the Tokugawa/Toyotomi conflict in the previous two games so I imagine they won't EMPHASIZE that part of history as much.

That being said, there really aren't that many hugely prominent generals from that era outside of Nobunaga, Tokugawa, Hideyoshi (eventually), Mitsuhide and Imagawa. They usually like to pair Hanzo with Tokugawa in the Imagawa days but I don't think Hanzo WAS active at that time? (edit: checked, I'm wrong, he DID fight with Ieyasu against the Imagawa, lol)

They could promote Hidemitsu Akechi to playable, I guess? Make a bit of a joke about the fact we'll never get another Onimusha but here's Samanosuke anyway?

Hmm, only 5 or 6 then? Yeah they will either have to grab some lesser known peeps, be loose with history, or it actually will cover a variety of years. I could see the final Oda mission being the one where he dies.

Also yo I would love to see Samanosuke, big credit if they make him like his Onimusha character lmao.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
will cop on steam

Also Nobunaga's descendants must be tired of him being played up as some kinda demon man

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, only 5 or 6 then? Yeah they will either have to grab some lesser known peeps, be loose with history, or it actually will cover a variety of years. I could see the final Oda mission being the one where he dies.

Also yo I would love to see Samanosuke, big credit if they make him like his Onimusha character lmao.

It is pretty funny, Hidemitsu sorties in virtually EVERY stage where Mitsuhide is a commander but he's never been playable. He's like Cheng Pu used to be on the DW side.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
It is pretty funny, Hidemitsu sorties in virtually EVERY stage where Mitsuhide is a commander but he's never been playable. He's like Cheng Pu used to be on the DW side.

It's a shame Cheng Pu is locked behind DW9, I've honestly wanted to see him playable for years. Nothing feels better than seeing an officer finally get upgraded to a playable character.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame Cheng Pu is locked behind DW9, I've honestly wanted to see him playable for years. Nothing feels better than seeing an officer finally get upgraded to a playable character.

Yeah. Back in my teen years when I hung out on the Dynasty Warriors GameFAQs forums we were already yelling about Cheng Pu and that was 15 years ago.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Back in my teen years when I hung out on the Dynasty Warriors GameFAQs forums we were already yelling about Cheng Pu and that was 15 years ago.

God, that actually brings brings back memories. I was always hopping between SW, DW and WO boards myself. I loved reading and watching tier lists for those games, some of those characters were stupidly broken.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
will cop on steam

Also Nobunaga's descendants must be tired of him being played up as some kinda demon man

Admittedly, that's more Capcom's bag, over in Sengoku Basara and Onimusha.

Koei has always loved making their version(s) a much more pragmatic, if not still skirting the line between all-knowing Jedi Master/sinister Sith Lord, depending on the game and series.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Intrigued but not a fan of the cell shading style. Oda has always been one of my fav characters though

Oct 26, 2017
If the story features this younger, scrappier Nobunaga slowly turning into the demon king from the previous games, which then climaxes at Honno-ji, then I think that would be really good.

plastic love

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2019
I have to wonder, between this and Neo TWEWY, why aren't dev's announcing PS5 versions? Yes it will work on the console but I thought companies would be aiming for the current gen?

I recognised it was a Musou immediately, it's the same art style as Fire Emblem Warriors, or very similar.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to wonder, between this and Neo TWEWY, why aren't dev's announcing PS5 versions? Yes it will work on the console but I thought companies would be aiming for the current gen?

I recognised it was a Musou immediately, it's the same art style as Fire Emblem Warriors, or very similar.
My theory is that it is too much work for little gain. Sure, you get dual sense features but the game wouldn't look that much better if they did a straight port.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Unfortunately PS5 game sales are doing horribly in japan, PS4 still has its large base and the switch is the defacto market leader there, add the fact that the PS5 is BC and devs can just ignore it because the PS4 version would sale more and the guys commited to PS5 can still play it via BC

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
These games any good? Since they keep making all the time and stuff.

They are definitely an acquired taste. Mindless button mashing for hundreds of similar levels in a row just beating helpless soldiers thousands at a time. Fun unwinding and a guilty pleasure. Characters are sort of based in real historical figures but are anime samurais and half naked ladies.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I'm really liking the artwork. I wish it translated just a bit better into 3D, but it looks cool. When Nobunaga does his special attack and it transitions into the artistic style, it looks really nice. I'm excited to see what it looks like for other characters.

I'm hoping for some new and interesting mechanics. Hyper Attacks were interesting, but it got kind of boring after a while. There's been a lot of creativity in the licensed Warriors games as of late, so hopefully that passion shows here too.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Loved Spirit of Sanada last year so I'll definitely pick this up day one. Might even opt for PC if it's optimized well enough.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why, but I have a sneaky suspicious characters are going to get cut.
I mean, it'd be a tall order to redesign every SW character and give them all different movelists just for one game.

Which is a shame because I absolutely love SW4 and wanted more of that.
I'm really liking the artwork. I wish it translated just a bit better into 3D, but it looks cool. When Nobunaga does his special attack and it transitions into the artistic style, it looks really nice. I'm excited to see what it looks like for other characters.

I'm hoping for some new and interesting mechanics. Hyper Attacks were interesting, but it got kind of boring after a while. There's been a lot of creativity in the licensed Warriors games as of late, so hopefully that passion shows here too.
They might as well hire the Basara devs at this point if they want to move the series forward.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
After Nioh 2 having young Nobunaga, and Chronicles 3 giving us an earlier battle than Okehezama with Nagorigawa, I was anticipating they'd have some more focus on Nobunaga's early stuff, wasn't expected a Spirit of Sanada type game though.

You can see Oda soldiers fighting against soldiers with the Saito banner. Nobunaga's father-in-law, Dosan Saito, has had a unique appearance since SW1, and I've been wondering if they'll ever add him. This should finally be the opportunity to do so. I imagine his son, Yoshitatsu, will get added too. There's a good story to be told with them.

There's another battle against soldiers with the Imagawa banner. And its daytime, so I doubt its Okehazama, what with it being a nighttime battle. I take it Nobunaga isn't going to be lord at the beginning, and we'll be seeing his father, and his fights against Yoshimoto Imagawa. Hope they take a cue from Nioh 2, and make Yoshimoto not a joke character. They were already doing a split personality/facade thing in SW4, so they could go further with that.

I imagine we'll be seeing younger Ieyasu, as a hostage and friend to Nobunaga. Hideyoshi should be around, I was wondering if he was the brown haired dude in the trailer. Could be Toshiie too. I have no idea who the red haired ninja girl is. It'd be a pretty drastic redesign for Nene, but maybe it is? I want to see Yasuke in this game.

If this game is really going to be serious about focusing only on Nobunaga and Mitsuhide, then it'd have to end at Honnoji/Yamazaki. Maybe they pull a trick and have Mitsuhide survive like the one historical rumor goes, so they can go further. They did that in Nioh actually.

I'm worried about the moveset revamps. I'm going to miss Nobunaga's lightsaber. And I can't say I'm happy about Noh getting a bow instead of the claws. And I wonder how many characters we end up losing with the narrowed focus.