• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Way too many of these warriors games coming out imo. Across all platforms. The series needs a break.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Samurai Warriors 4, at least for a 3DS launch title, so I'll probably get this too. 🤔

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Is this a reboot or something? Why did they make Nobunaga a pretty boy?

It looks like it throws things back to when Nobunaga and Mitsuhide were both younger and starting their mutual careers.

I guess this means I can hope for Saito Dosan to finally join a SW game's roster, among others, if the game is really going to be focused on that early Sengoku era.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
These games any good? Since they keep making all the time and stuff.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I'm excited for this, after spending so many hours with SW4 I'm glad we're getting new designs.

As a big fan of DW9 I was hoping to get an openworldish SW5, but I suppose they're sticking with the traditional formula.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
No way it's an accident that this was announced right after the conclusion of the most popular taiga drama of recent times (Kirin ga Kuru), which focused on Akechi Mitsuhide.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like it throws things back to when Nobunaga and Mitsuhide were both younger and starting their mutual careers.

I guess this means I can hope for Saito Dosan to finally join a SW game's roster, among others, if the game is really going to be focused on that early Sengoku era.

Watch - they include him, he shows up in exactly one stage in story mode and then immediately gets killed off.

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018
Damn, it's been quite a while since the Xbox has gotten a Samurai Warriors game. Definitely liking the art style as well.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Watch - they include him, he shows up in exactly one stage in story mode and then immediately gets killed off.

Now that you mention it? There's actually quite a few chars of that sort that would still have to be included in order to give Nobunaga's story some weight. Yoshimoto is a must (and hopefully, they jettison the goofy kemari act - Nioh 2's version is MUCH better realization of how the guy was a literal threat at that point). Kennyo and the monks at Ikko-ikki. Saito Yoshitatsu. Etc.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Now that you mention it? There's actually quite a few chars of that sort that would still have to be included in order to give Nobunaga's story some weight. Yoshimoto is a must (and hopefully, they jettison the goofy kemari act - Nioh 2's version is MUCH better realization of how the guy was a literal threat at that point). Kennyo and the monks at Ikko-ikki. Saito Yoshitatsu. Etc.

Man, Kennyo would be a tough one to adapt. He WAS a featured NPC in SW1 and 2, with a unique model, he just never got made playable. If memory serves he was a pacifist, right?

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Oh shit, I'm excited. They always try to innovate a bit more with Samurai Warriors compared to Dynasty Warriors, and the new visuals look really good. I also look forward to the new character designs, it looks like it's more anime but the armors are less flamboyant than the "stage play" costumes of the last entry, so that's definetly a positive.

If they include all characters then this is a day one buy from me.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of the pivot to cel-shading. I like the Samurai Warriors series though, so I'll still give it a try.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Don't say shit like that. Give me all of the musou.

Agreed!

1246377.jpg

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Man, Kennyo would be a tough one to adapt. He WAS a featured NPC in SW1 and 2, with a unique model, he just never got made playable. If memory serves he was a pacifist, right?

Yeah, that was his main choice in at least the first SW game. Was he really in 2, cuz I don't recall...I know Capcom put him into Sengoku Basara 2, at least!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that was his main choice in at least the first SW game. Was he really in 2, cuz I don't recall...I know Capcom put him into Sengoku Basara 2, at least!

I'm pretty sure the Ikko Ikka rebellion was in 2 as well, but it was definitely featured far more prominently in the first game for sure.

Also, RIP Sith Lord Nobunaga. No more darksaber or darkness fireballs. :(

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Now that you mention it, this is the perfect chance for them to throw away Yoshimoto's design forever. SW4 attempted to add scenes where he actually behaves in an imposing way, but they had to do stuff like avoiding showing him directly in those rare scenes. They shouldn't have to fight against one of their own designs.

It's a perfect chance to fix Goemon too, but he is a late character and not really necessary in the first place. Shingen Takeda also can get some tweaks, but compared to the others he doesn't need a complete revamp.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh.

I don't mind change but why? He was really cool looking in 4 and older.

This this this. I am not a fan of them all of a suddenly changing his look. He is supposed to be an older "demon king" :/.

It just feels weird to have a prequel as SW5.

I like how people in this thread are so confused by concept of people looking younger in the past.

Personally excited, like both change in art style and how it's leaning even further into SW's more hyper aethetic,
I think my problem with it is them making this as Samurai Warriors 5. It probably would be better as a spin off. Also not a fan the way his weapon looks. It's much cooler in the other games.

Last edited:

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I like how people in this thread are so confused by concept of people looking younger in the past.

Personally excited, like both change in art style and how it's leaning even further into SW's more hyper aethetic,

Oct 27, 2017

I mean:

SAMURAI-WARRIORS-4-II_20151003214244.jpg

This is a mother and son. Age in Samurai Warriors never made sense and they went with whats "cool" so it sucks they removed one of the coolest looking characters and replaced them with yet another young person.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, this probably means that every character in SW is getting a dramatic redesign.

Nobunaga went from Japanese Cao Cao to a Musou protagonist. I'm interested in seeing more!

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I'm pretty sure the Ikko Ikka rebellion was in 2 as well, but it was definitely featured far more prominently in the first game for sure.

Also, RIP Sith Lord Nobunaga. No more darksaber or darkness fireballs. :(

Ah, I see!

And in any case...what I'm hoping/expecting is that this "focus on the early Sengoku era" is just the main hook, and they didn't REALLY jettison 85% of the other part of the roster, just because they'd be too young/not born yet to be pertinent.

If nothing else, they wouldn't REALLY do anything that would make it so their golden boy, Yukimura, couldn't show up...

Now that you mention it, this is the perfect chance for them to throw away Yoshimoto's design forever. SW4 attempted to add scenes where he actually behaves in an imposing way, but they had to do stuff like avoiding showing him directly in those rare scenes. They shouldn't have to fight against their own design.

EXACTLY.

Now's as good a time as any if they're going to reinvent some characters. And it could do wonders, if they do it right!

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if we are lucky the game will progress THROUGHOUT Oda's life, and he will get his kick ass demon armor/sword and his OG look, alongside the amazing built up cast.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if we are lucky the game will progress THROUGHOUT Oda's life, and he will get his kick ass demon armor/sword and his OG look, alongside the amazing built up cast.

I really did love the fact that Sith Lord Nobu was wearing fucking medieval plate armor. Because Nobunaga apparently actually DID do that sometimes.