• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Curious about her

looks like she is carrying chisels with her and even the Jolly Roger on her Sawblade has tools. Maybe she is a ship builder

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Darli looks like a damn good addition to the roster. Hopefully the other two are just as good.

hoping Gen-An, Wan-Fu, Amakusa, and Basara round out the roster (I know we're getting Iroha instead unfortunately)

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice to have another fighting game character from the Caribbean. It would be great if she wasn't Jamaican again.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Got back from the panel. It was a nice panel but the English speakers needed to put the mic closer to their mouths, could hardly hear them half the time.

Lots of discussion about history and animation techniques of the past and how they made the new game's style work in UE4.

However they barely talked about online, and when asked about it afterwards, they seemed very noncommittal to things like numerical ping and connection type when matchmaking. For a game with a lot of timing elements and a proportionally large foreign playerbase, it's pretty crushing how little attention is paid to online, especially when it comes to online problems solved a decade ago by Western developers. Japanese fighting game developers really need to step up in this regard, especially if you want a scene with longevity. KOF 13 and KOF 14 are far too low of a standard in this regard.

If anyone at SNK is reading this, please study the Skullgirls matchmaking system! Thanks!

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017

First you set your region of the world you are playing in. So you have a lot of options like East Coast North America, West Coast North America, etc.

Then you can either do quick match or start / enter a lobby. Once you are paired with someone, a display will pop up showing the numerical ping between you and the opponent. The ping is color coded for green (<100 ping), yellow (101-200), and red (>200). The game will then automatically set a GGPO frame delay based on the ping it found. If you find this acceptable you can simply continue to the match, but if you have a preferred delay setting you can change it manually.

It's very painless, but highly effective to find high quality matches. Probably the only downsides were too much delay freedom (someone could troll by turning rollback delay up too high) and no ping refresh (it only checked once when it should check every five seconds or so). Easy to account for in design though.

Since games like MK11 show connection type nowadays, that's another feature that could be added.

What we need is someone at SNK that is very passionate about making the online up to standard for long term online players more than anything to make even a few of these suggestions a reality.

Edit: I'll ping MistaTwo as a last ditch hope...

Last edited:

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One mechanic that was mentioned during the panel that hadn't been noticed yet I think was that special moves now get new properties while in rage.

The example given was that there is a move where Poppy just hits the opponent normally but while in rage the same move will have Poppy izuna drop the opponent.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One mechanic that was mentioned during the panel that hadn't been noticed yet I think was that special moves now get new properties while in rage.

The example given was that there is a move where Poppy just hits the opponent normally but while in rage the same move will have Poppy izuna drop the opponent.

That was in Samsho 4. Most chars had a powered-up move in rage.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like you can do an attack called a Stance Break during a just defend.

Wonder if it has any special properties.

You can also still manually drop your weapon if you want. Will be one heck of a way to disrespect your opponent.

That was in Samsho 4. Most chars had a powered-up move in rage.

Yeah, we just hadn't realized it was in the new one.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Holy fuck at that new girl. Big ass saw blade and muscular?

New main. Take your place among Earthquake, Kyoshiro and Tam Tam.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Ok, thoughts on the panel?

It was great to see some of the concept pieces for SamSho! I definitely haven't see much of that before. Seeing the process from possible-beat-em-up to legendary fighter was a great behind the scenes.

The collection of NeoGeo SamSho is awesome, too. I have no care whatsoever for VI not being that, lol. That's definitely an odd part of the series that doesn't feel like it belongs with the rest. If this has any way near the amount of love put into the SNK 40th collection, it should be excellent. And with online! And on every thing under the sun! A reason to replace back-compat Xbox One Sam Shodown 2, fun.

Surprised many haven't snipped that 13-original-SamSho Character picture yet. Gives us a best look at Hanzo, Shiki, and Yoshitora in the game, so far.

The Dojo AI sounds great in theory. Being able to fight a "friend" without having to connect with them should be very nice. Basing it off online play should also give more reason to actually PLAY offline stuffs. I like how it's an online-themed feature fed by Offline VS, too.

Darli being what might be a fresh take on a POWER character is great overall. Definitely not what I expected from our peek at the silhouettes. Quite interested in that buzz-blade, and what she gets while disarmed. Maybe she get's projectiles, by tossing the little blades on her outfit? Or new evasive movement, since she non longer is held down by weight? It'd be quite cool to see a character that gets enough while, disarmed, to make fighting weaponless a legit choice.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, thoughts on the panel?

It was great to see some of the concept pieces for SamSho! I definitely haven't see much of that before. Seeing the process from possible-beat-em-up to legendary fighter was a great behind the scenes.

The collection of NeoGeo SamSho is awesome, too. I have no care whatsoever for VI not being that, lol. That's definitely an odd part of the series that doesn't feel like it belongs with the rest. If this has any way near the amount of love put into the SNK 40th collection, it should be excellent. And with online! And on every thing under the sun! A reason to replace back-compat Xbox One Sam Shodown 2, fun.

Surprised many haven't snipped that 13-original-SamSho Character picture yet. Gives us a best look at Hanzo, Shiki, and Yoshitora in the game, so far.

The Dojo AI sounds great in theory. Being able to fight a "friend" without having to connect with them should be very nice. Basing it off online play should also give more reason to actually PLAY offline stuffs. I like how it's an online-themed feature fed by Offline VS, too.

Darli being what might be a fresh take on a POWER character is great overall. Definitely not what I expected from our peek at the silhouettes. Quite interested in that buzz-blade, and what she gets while disarmed. Maybe she get's projectiles, by tossing the little blades on her outfit? Or new evasive movement, since she non longer is held down by weight? It'd be quite cool to see a character that gets enough while, disarmed, to make fighting weaponless a legit choice.
The collection should be great since the 40th years one was really good too. VI isn't canon and is one of the worst games in the series so I think it's fine that it isn't in (SSVSP isn't canon too but it's amazing).

I really like that they announced the story mode/arcade like KOFXIV. I want to see how much they improved and how it will work in this game by having an individual story for each character, the replay should be nice like in XIV but I hope we get more different stuff for each character, not just the ending.

The AI of any fighting game becomes a little predictable when you play offline a lot. Just finishing the story in KOFXIV for example I noticed that on the max difficulty 99% of the time when you throw a fireball every enemy will roll forward before it hits them so you can just cheese anything in the game by punishing the roll with a grab or a combo. Things like this makes the AI stuff sound interesting and I hope it works like they want to.

The new character looks nice and I'm interested to see how she will play and what would be the thing that they said in the panel that she will be able to do without her weapon. Maybe we will get something in April 5 on the stream they announced this week.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else find it interesting that they didn't want to reveal the name of the main artist? All they said is that it's a woman and she will be in a showing soon.

Wonder if it's one of Shiroi Eiji or Senri Kita.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
The collection should be great since the 40th years one was really good too. VI isn't canon and is one of the worst games in the series so I think it's fine that it isn't in (SSVSP isn't canon too but it's amazing).

I really like that they announced the story mode/arcade like KOFXIV. I want to see how much they improved and how it will work in this game by having an individual story for each character, the replay should be nice like in XIV but I hope we get more different stuff for each character, not just the ending.

I have to admit, when I saw that "Character select with hidden spots" screen in the presentation, I was hoping the lack of SamShoSix was to fit in a "Hyper SamSho" mode, which would let you play any character version from any game against another one. Capcom did that on PS2, sooo… not IMPOSSIBLE, but otherwise...

I couldn't tell if some of those artsy segments were in-game animations, or just stills. It would be rather nice to have some parts done in a style that's easy to make variations for. SNK Heroines did pretty ok with that, so it seems to be in their DNA now.

The AI of any fighting game becomes a little predictable when you play offline a lot. Just finishing the story in KOFXIV for example I noticed that on the max difficulty 99% of the time when you throw a fireball every enemy will roll forward before it hits them so you can just cheese anything in the game by punishing the roll with a grab or a combo. Things like this makes the AI stuff sound interesting and I hope it works like they want to.
Yup, I love AI with it's own quirks. I actually really liked the AI in Injustice 2, as well. As far as the ability to download ones, and fight them, and to be able to use your own to have the CPU play grindy modes for you. This should be a fun way to sidestep online for continual fresh competetion.

The new character looks nice and I'm interested to see how she will play and what would be the thing that they said in the panel that she will be able to do without her weapon. Maybe we will get something in April 5 on the stream they announced this week.
Hope so! Gameplay reveal, a new stage, and / or a bit of the classic characters. And of course...

Anyone else find it interesting that they didn't want to reveal the name of the main artist? All they said is that it's a woman and she will be in a showing soon.

I was trying to tell if they said a name. Reminds me of Kita a bit? They also said the artist for those scenes designed Darli. Gotta respect how often they're giving various talent a chance in recent games. Feels like old arcade dev culture.

artist info

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Damn, did I mess up and not put respect on my new favorite designers name!? I thought I did but those panel mics were a bit finnicky.

All of the SamSho character designs (including Darli and Charlotte's redesign) and in-game illustrations are handled by Yumi Saji.

https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/recruit/staff/saji.php

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017

???

Sorry, any article to read with all of that?

Imho such collections should have plenty of extras:

- game description/history
- tips/tricks/moveset
- poster/flyers/covers
- artworks, including final art and b/w sketches
- interviews with devs

40th had such, right?

Last edited:

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Damn, did I mess up and not put respect on my new favorite designers name!? I thought I did but those panel mics were a bit finnicky.

All of the SamSho character designs (including Darli and Charlotte's redesign) and in-game illustrations are handled by Yumi Saji.

That was you translating for Kuroki during the panel?

And thanks for the clear up, her art is fantastic. Very pleasant style and fits SamSho like a glove. When that Galford/Poppy in game art popped up I couldn't help but smile, both SamSho and its amazing art were back.

Last edited:

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
The new people should start becoming super defensive when they notice that the time stops after a Rage Explosion.

She's doing a really good job with the new Samurai Shodown. I remember seeing her name somewhere tho, I think it was in the XIV art book but I'm not certain.

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017

Sorry for no videos but here are some two I did catch:

-When Jubei do that running and shoryuken move, before he does the rising part, he does a low attack, and later, he gains an extra attack at the end. (The same that it was in Samurai Shodown 4)

-When Genjuro throws his hanafuda, it rebounds upwards and fall behind the opponent (again, the same as in 4)

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Giby said that the event went very well and everyone who played it was really positive on the game.

Except one guy who apparently showed up to the booth crapping on the game and telling people not to play it due to cultural appropriation (was carrying signs and stuff too?).

Someone explained to him that SamSho is an old series made by Japanese devs. After getting owned he started yelling something about the game being trash and a result of no original ideas and kept telling people not to play the game.

Yeesh.

Nice, the move sets look solid.

Sorry for no videos but here are some two I did catch:

-When Jubei do that running and shoryuken move, before he does the rising part, he does a low attack, and later, he gains an extra attack at the end. (The same that it was in Samurai Shodown 4)

-When Genjuro throws his hanafuda, it rebounds upwards and fall behind the opponent (again, the same as in 4)

Thanks!

Was there anything special about Genjuro's hanafuda bounce while in rage? It has been a normal function of his projectile since SSV iirc (you hold the button down after doing the move to make the hanafuda bounce).

vixlar

Dec 5, 2017
Thanks!

Was there anything special about Genjuro's hanafuda bounce while in rage? It has been a normal function of his projectile since SSV iirc (you hold the button down after doing the move to make the hanafuda bounce).

Oh. I didn't know that. My last game was 4. I didn't notice anything special because the projectile never hit the opponent after rebounding.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Except one guy who apparently showed up to the booth crapping on the game and telling people not to play it due to cultural appropriation (was carrying signs and stuff too?).

Someone explained to him that SamSho is an old series made by Japanese devs. After getting owned he started yelling something about the game being trash and a result of no original ideas and kept telling people not to play the game.

Maybe he confused the Samurai Shodown and Mortal Kombat booths?