• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
If you want a shoto, Haohmaru is your man.

Hanzo plays like a ninja, in terms of deception. He can teleport and even do a Naruto style counter teleport (he gets hit, dissapear on a cloud and leaves a log). He can throw shurikens while in air and does have a comand grab. In some versions he can go fully invisible.

I've been told that Haohmaru is the shoto of the game so I will definitely be playing him just for the sake of familiarity. Who knows, maybe he'll be my main because I really enjoy the shoto play style. But I'm really determined to get decent with Hanzo and make him my main. And that really is based on just liking his design. We'll see how far that carries me though.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
But Nakoruru's arms are bare. I wasn't talking about her gloves.

For the slippery slope, I'm not the one who started that.
Fencers (which she is) with those swords (rapiers and other smallswords) didn't even wear armor historically, even helmets in rare occasions (that she never wore in the first place). Those designs never made sense and were always going for the rule of cool, nothing else.
[/QUOTE]
I think the disagreement is that you don't think the purpose behind the Charlotte redesign was to make her sexier. I'm pretty sure that was the goal though.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've only watched a trailer and a little bit of gameplay, but so far I like the art style and the gameplay seems solid too.

Always wanted to try this series, so maybe I'll buy in.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
My only knowledge of Shiki is from my favorite SNK fighting game of all time :

aJlKJHX.png

Where she was a serious, traumatized person who just wanted to be a mom.
So yeah, her design being "bad psylocke" is absolutely horrendous, specially when you read that she was based on Makie from Blade of the Immortal

qh5EA1i.jpg

But not "Charlotte worst"
not familiar with shiki, but was just about to say she reminds me of her
is she really based on this character?
i was a big fan of blade of the immortal

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Hey man, are you allowed to talk about the mechanics a bit?

From the matches it looked like there were quite a few defensive mechanics at play (correct me if I'm just seeing stuff):

-Just defend?
-Just defending while already in block?
-A classic KOF dodge (stationary version, pre-KOF96)?
-A Fatal Fury style invincible back dash?
-The big parry which has a start up animation.

It also looked like the recoil and recoil cancel mechanics are back.

Overall I'm loving what I'm seeing here, there seems to be a lot at play and I'm so glad you guys went the classic SamSho limited combo route.

Execution wise it looks like it will be the most accessible out of the current fighters.

That damage output is delicious.

Sorry, spent the last day or so traveling for PAX and such!

Most of this stuff will probably be known after PAX players dive into it more so I can shed some light here.
All of the mechanics you listed are in. Just Defense negates chip and builds meter. And the game doesn't have absolute block so you can just defend multiple hits I believe if you're good.

The dodge you are seeing is L+M so R1 default on pad. Qcf L+M is the parry move. Same command is blade catch while unarmed.

You get a tiny bit of invincibility on back dash, but not to the extent of FF. Not sure on frame data but it's not something I depend on. Haha.

If MistaTwo can answer questions, all I want to know is if Kyoshiro has the frog and oo tsunami or he's back to the more humble SSI/II moveset

Ss5sp_kyoshiro_236S.png

Ss5sp_kyoshiro_214C.png

Sorry, we still aren't showing off a lot of the other characters in depth yet. Can't really say much other than that I think his effects and animations look great, but I think that for everybody this time around. :)

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
MistaTwo Would you say the "Story" is going to be handled in a similar fashion to KOF14?

BadWolf How about you? Do you see it being similar or possibly different? Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with it being a typical Arcade Mode with cutscenes.

I like SNK's characters so I'm always interested in the story.

Last edited:

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, the continued "Charlotte is fine, here's other fanservice characters!" is ticking me off. Want to talk about fanservice so badly, fine, I'll play that game, by changing Charlotte's design to a more generic sexualized design, it is missing the whole point of her character and design from a fanservice perspective. Charlotte is like King from KOF where the whole point behind her character design is to enhance her femininity by her androgyny or even masculinity. So, by giving her a zettai ryoiki is going against her original (and far rarer) fanservice intent in exchange for the dime-a-dozen fanservice tropes you see everywhere else.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Most of this stuff will probably be known after PAX players dive into it more so I can shed some light here.
All of the mechanics you listed are in. Just Defense negates chip and builds meter. And the game doesn't have absolute block so you can just defend multiple hits I believe if you're good.

The dodge you are seeing is L+M so R1 default on pad. Qcf L+M is the parry move. Same command is blade catch while unarmed.

You get a tiny bit of invincibility on back dash, but not to the extent of FF. Not sure on frame data but it's not something I depend on. Haha.

Awesome, thanks man. If you are at PAX then maybe we'll see you on stream or on a fan match recording hehe.

There was a moment where any way I looked it seemed like Genjuro backdashed right through a point blank slash from the opponent so it's great to receive confirmation on some invincibility on the backdash. Should be useful in a tight spot even if it's not too large a window.

You guys upped the potential/ways to do big damage but at the same time also really increased the universal defensive options as well.

More importantly these are defensive options that allow you to land big damage (instead of just getting the opponent off of you). So even a moment of carelessness/spam can have the opponent eating the big damage they were aiming to inflict. Really good stuff.

Also great to see the new input for the parry, should make it much easier for people to do. Overlapping it with the dodge move button presses was a smart call too, since even if the player messes up the parry motion they will still at least get an invincible dodge.

MistaTwo Would you say the "Story" is going to be handled in a similar fashion to KOF14?

BadWolf How about you? Do you see it being similar or possibly different? Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with it being a typical Arcade Mode with cutscenes.

I like SNK's characters so I'm always interested in the story.

I just know what you guys do from the released vids. You can see a few matches from the story mode in action in the vid in the OP iirc.

In XIV you didn't get any character specific artwork/story until the ending. Before then you would just get the character interactions if two specific characters fought and had a dialogue.

From the SamSho vids, the story mode for a character starts off with a story sequence, then character art is shown and some starting story is said about the character. It then proceeds to the first fight. So it's already a bit different from XIV in its basic format.

The demo doesn't have a full story playthrough (just 2-3 fights it seems) so can't say how many more story/character moments there will be before the ending.

There is also a Database option on the main menu (separate from the Gallery option). Maybe there is some more character/story info in there?

Last edited:

RaiOh

Nov 12, 2017
So, this is just a secret war between bare thighs and zettai ryouiki lovers, right?

charlotte-samurai-shodown-6-tenka-artwork.jpg

latest

latest

charolotte-small-post.jpg

charlotte-mult.gif

charlotte-poke.gif

charlotte-sweep.gif

char-upper2.gif

charlotte-drink.gif

Or you never played Samsho to realize that the whole sex appeal behind Charlotte was these sneak peek to her thighs in the first place?

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Do we have Switch gameplay?
I just want to know if it's 60fps or at least there's an optional "performance" mode, otherwise if they pull another SNK HEROINES I'm not gonna bother waiting and maybe just go PS4.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Ok, the continued "Charlotte is fine, here's other fanservice characters!" is ticking me off. Want to talk about fanservice so badly, fine, I'll play that game, by changing Charlotte's design to a more generic sexualized design, it is missing the whole point of her character and design from a fanservice perspective. Charlotte is like King from KOF where the whole point behind her character design is to enhance her femininity by her androgyny or even masculinity. So, by giving her a zettai ryoiki is going against her original (and far rarer) fanservice intent in exchange for the dime-a-dozen fanservice tropes you see everywhere else.
As said to another poster earlier in the thread, Charlotte has never been depicted as an androgynous character, nor even a tomboy.
She's depicted as a strong feminine french character (like Jeanne d'Arc in japanese media), even doing the rich girl anime archetype's laugh. Seriously, did you play the games?
So, this is just a secret war between bare thighs and zettai ryouiki lovers, right?

latest

latest

charlotte-mult.gif

charlotte-poke.gif

charlotte-sweep.gif

char-upper2.gif

charlotte-drink.gif

Or you never played Samsho to realize that the whole sex appeal behind Charlotte was these sneak peek to her thighs in the first place?
Shhh, don't say it.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As said to another poster earlier in the thread, Charlotte has never been depicted as an androgynous character, nor even a tomboy.
She's depicted as a strong feminine french character (like Jeanne d'Arc in japanese media), even doing the rich girl anime archetype's laugh. Seriously, did you play the games?

Shhh, don't say it.

Please note that I did not say she dressed as a boy. I said that her character design used androgynous characteristics to enhance her femininity. The two are very different and the fact that not only you think they're the same, but that I'm insulting her by implying she is a man is insulting as all hell.

King in modern games is impossible to mistake as a man (hell asides from the very first game she appeared in it has always been clear that she was a woman). However she uses cues from either androgynous or even masculine body movements to highlight her beauty and femininity. Charlotte is very similar even if she is more feminine (and keep in mind I am strictly talking about character tropes and not actually trying to insinuate that certain actions are inherently feminine or masculine) in some of her actions, her moveset is purposefully masculine. All hard sharp angles. Hell, this is why whenever she wears "modern" clothing, she put into masculine outfits.

latest

Again, she isn't "dressing as a boy" but her entire fanservice gimmick is to invoke femininity in masculine traits and so to put her in her modern outfit is to go against her entire character design even from a fanservice perspective.

But hey, clearly I don't play the games because I'm not drooling over her thighs.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a large gap between those animations and redesigning her outfit to expose her thighs. Examples like the manga art and her SSVI art weren't the norm. Even if it was always a problem, escalating it only makes it worse.

And there is absolutely something to say about making her more overtly feminine.

Last edited:

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We finally have all this info about the game, mechanics, modes and more and a whole bunch of match footage but let's talk about Charlotte's thighs.

Priorities, amirite?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
After King of fighters, I'm glad it looks right. I don't want it done on King of fighters. Amazing game. But it lost so much in the look when it went to 3D. It was actually sad to see. King of fighters had always been so beautiful to look at.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After King of fighters, I'm glad it looks right. I don't want it done on King of fighters. Amazing game. But it lost so much in the look when it went to 3D. It was actually sad to see. King of fighters had always been so beautiful to look at.

Do you think they will touch up the old models or will be making a bunch of new ones?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Do you think they will touch up the old models or will be making a bunch of new ones?

You mean for next King of fighters? I'm positive that they must want to improve the look. Just look at what they've done with sam show here. I can never tell with these things if they can just touch it up or have to start from scratch.

I personally think the models they use in kof are not strictly horrible. They're so bland though. Maybe you could also describe them as flat. It seems like they could do something with them. Look at ex layer: humble graphics, but manages to have a lot of personality and a unique look.

Idk. :/ I figure they want to do it but it's going to hinge more on their resources than what they want.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

latest

latest

charlotte-mult.gif

charlotte-poke.gif

charlotte-sweep.gif

char-upper2.gif

charlotte-drink.gif

Not to mention the absolutely massive wedgie she has in her sweep animation. Jesus this is my first time ever noticing it.

I don't suppose we can just all agree the longer skirt was better but the new design actually shows less thigh when you see thigh, right? She's got shorts and longer stockings now, whereas before under the skirt she had almost nothing above her knees.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017

100% agree. King of Fighters 14 looks absolutely terrible. It lost all its visual soul.

That being said, I think Samurai Showdown looks pretty good. Not perfect, but pretty good. Only complaint I have is that it looks a tad slower than the previous games.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm asking a question about your observation. Why do you care about what people are talking about?

Why do you care about what I observe? Did I tell anyone to stop talking about it?

I found it interesting where the focus of the discussion was despite us finally receiving so much info after getting none since the reveal.

That being said, I think Samurai Showdown looks pretty good. Not perfect, but pretty good. Only complaint I have is that it looks a tad slower than the previous games.

It's just low level play, which usually looks slow for fighters. It will get much faster when someone decent plays.

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you care about what I observe? Did I tell anyone to stop talking about it?

I found it interesting where the focus of the discussion was despite us finally receiving so much info after getting none since the reveal.

It's just low level play, which usually looks slow for fighters. It will get much faster when someone decent plays.

"Priorities amirite" implies that it's silly that people are "prioritizing" that aspect of the game's design over other aspects. If that was not your intent, then I suggest you word your posts more carefully in the future.

Also, it's not the focus of the discussion, a significant majority of posts in this thread are not about that.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Was there rumors this game existed before announcement? When was it announced?

I only found out this existed like 2 days ago.

Love the trailer. It's SO good to see old school Japanese music and sounds return. This is way too rare these days. I fully expected modern techno or rock or whatever it is they usually put into Tekken these days. So damn refreshing to see a game that could pass for a game straight out of the 90s in 2019.

I remember how the original blew me away when I saw it in arcades/the SNES when I was like 7 or 8.

I think I'll have to get this out of respect alone.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The knockdown underskirt shot does seem to be the punctuation point to those not liking the lacking of an overlaying skirt since it seems like they kept her frontal one.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
We finally have all this info about the game, mechanics, modes and more and a whole bunch of match footage but let's talk about Charlotte's thighs.

Priorities, amirite?

The idea of crazy requests by rockers started by musicians who had super detailed requests about volumes and lightning.
They started then asking for some stupid thing like "a bowl of only red M&Ms" because if the place did THAT, they would have done everything else and they would not have to worry about the show being perfect.

The change in Charlotte's design shows that they don't understand the character, which can be a sympton of a bigger problem.
It would be like if they gave Galford a cat instead of Poppy.

And that is ignoring EVERYTHING we talk about the problem of making women objectified here and how SNK history of objectification of women in recent times have been borderline NSFW at best and "implying that crimes are ok" at worst (aka SNK Heroines and that mobile metal slug game)

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Oh i didn't see we have SNK staff here :)
MistaTwo, any chance that original games soundtracks (if possible Arranged soundtracks, like the ones in Neogeo CD versions) will be available at least as DLC? ( I really love earthquake's stage music from first game) And remakes of original stages like Caffeine Nicotine one?
Any chance of crossplay? I love kof14 but online is dead.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Priorities amirite" implies that it's silly that people are "prioritizing" that aspect of the game's design over other aspects. If that was not your intent, then I suggest you word your posts more carefully in the future.

Also, it's not the focus of the discussion, a significant majority of posts in this thread are not about that.

I'll word them as I see fit.

Was there rumors this game existed before announcement? When was it announced?

I only found out this existed like 2 days ago.

Love the trailer. It's SO good to see old school Japanese music and sounds return. This is way too rare these days. I fully expected modern techno or rock or whatever it is they usually put into Tekken these days. So damn refreshing to see a game that could pass for a game straight out of the 90s in 2019.

I remember how the original blew me away when I saw it in arcades/the SNES when I was like 7 or 8.

I think I'll have to get this out of respect alone.

It was revealed during Sony's TGS conference last year.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interview with director Kuroki:

-He confirms that the game is pretty much complete. Only the final debugging stage is left.
-They are considering releasing a demo.
-A lot of the staff insisted on characters getting cut in half etc. upon death, said it wouldn't be SamSho without it.
-There will be 100 AI slots for you to save ghosts in of your choice.
-He expects people to play against their own ghosts to see their own weaknesses.

I'm guessing a lot of the staff have moved on to KOFXV.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Shhh, don't say it.

Charlotte's inspiration is Oscar from Rose of Versailles. Charlotte's ending has her cutting off her hair. There's a tomboyish side to her, but she is feminine as well. She's not slutty though, and that outfit is too Iroha-like for my tastes. I wouldn't have minded the redesign if it didn't look so out of place.

Guessing L+M implies the control scheme is 3 slashes and 1 kick like later Samshos.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Please note that I did not say she dressed as a boy. I said that her character design used androgynous characteristics to enhance her femininity. The two are very different and the fact that not only you think they're the same, but that I'm insulting her by implying she is a man is insulting as all hell.

King in modern games is impossible to mistake as a man (hell asides from the very first game she appeared in it has always been clear that she was a woman). However she uses cues from either androgynous or even masculine body movements to highlight her beauty and femininity. Charlotte is very similar even if she is more feminine (and keep in mind I am strictly talking about character tropes and not actually trying to insinuate that certain actions are inherently feminine or masculine) in some of her actions, her moveset is purposefully masculine. All hard sharp angles. Hell, this is why whenever she wears "modern" clothing, she put into masculine outfits.

latest

Again, she isn't "dressing as a boy" but her entire fanservice gimmick is to invoke femininity in masculine traits and so to put her in her modern outfit is to go against her entire character design even from a fanservice perspective.

But hey, clearly I don't play the games because I'm not drooling over her thighs.
I know what androgynous means, thank you very much. King is indeed androgynous, Charlotte never was.
I know what I've said, and what you've said.

edit:
Just from a visual standpoint Charlotte's new design looks awkward because the long skirt was there to balance out the plate armor. Combined with the skinny legs it makes her look rather top heavy. Getting rid of the riding boots for what appear to be thigh high stockings and stiletto shoes was also a mistake.
She's wearing stilettos since 4. Heeled boots since the first one. Thigh high heeled boots since Sen (and she had nothing under her skirt before this new game, no shorts like now).

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Just from a visual standpoint Charlotte's new design looks awkward because the long skirt was there to balance out the plate armor. Combined with the skinny legs it makes her look rather top heavy. Getting rid of the riding boots for what appear to be thigh high stockings and stiletto shoes was also a mistake.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Kuroki said in an interview that there will be a DLC season pass, details will be announced close to release.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay looks really good and I love the tiny bit I heard of the new Nakoruru's theme. The animations are really nice, Haohmaru idle for example is great. If Just Defense gives you a little more advantage than blocking normally this game will be way more fun to play defensibly than every other one I know. Just thinking about people getting too scared to attack makes me wanna play this right now.

I miss the Sword bar but I think it would be too much for new people. The Concentration bar from SSVSP is great but I think it would make everyone in this game broken so I'm glad they didn't put it. I like that they keep the color change on the scenario when you activate the rage bar and looks like the supers also have it but in a different color.

Looks like Hanzo design is slightly different than the older games, Galford shoulder pads aren't blue anymore, Jubei clothes are also different and his new pants are blue, Earthquake pants are different, Kyoshiro clothes looks different too specially in the lower part and has some nice details, Yoshitora now has some green details on his clothes, some parts of Tam Tam's clothes looks darker blue now instead of black and his necklace is different, Nakoruru costume looks like the one she wears in 5 with some white details on her boots and Charlotte's costume changes are more obvious than the ones in the other characters but I liked it. Seems like Haohmaru is the only one that didn't change.

Sorry, we still aren't showing off a lot of the other characters in depth yet. Can't really say much other than that I think his effects and animations look great, but I think that for everybody this time around. :)
Nice to know that the parry command changed, it was really hard to react to a slash with 216 + D fast enough on pad in SSVSP so it being a qcf motion now is a nice change for me.

Last edited:

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

latest

latest

charlotte-mult.gif

charlotte-poke.gif

charlotte-sweep.gif

char-upper2.gif

charlotte-drink.gif

These sprites are so beautiful and the original Charlotte design is so classy my head spins thinking about how they could change it.
The skin showing in the original is so subtle most people didn't even remember she ever showed it.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Just Defense gives you a little more advantage than blocking normally this game will be way more fun to play defensibly than every other one I know.

Not 100% sure but I think I saw JD cancelled into normals, which is different from MOTW where you could only cancel JD into specials and supers.

Another big difference is that you don't have to JD the first hit to be able to JD like in MOTW. In this game you can start blocking a string and then JD in the middle of the string out of block.

Between JD, deflect and KOF evade, throwing out normals/specials willy-nilly will get you killed, fast.

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP

latest

latest

charlotte-mult.gif

charlotte-poke.gif

charlotte-sweep.gif

char-upper2.gif

charlotte-drink.gif

I played a lot of SamSho back in the day at the arcades and I don't remember anyone saying "it's so hot how you can see Charlotte's thighs sometimes!" to be honest.