• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

About

After more than a decade, Samurai Shodown is back! SNK is rebooting one of its most successful series, carrying on the legacy of past titles with a new game that retains the same thrilling battles of past titles in a graphically advanced package. Samurai Shodown's gameplay is driven by the tense atmosphere of being one strike away from death, and the exhilaration of defeating an opponent with overwhelming power and attacks. Taking place between the events of the original game and Samurai Shodown V, the new game carries on the legacy of the one true weapon-based fighter.

Key Features

• Exhilarating Weapons-Based CombatSamurai Shodown carries on the legacy of the tense battles the series is known for, where players are always one strike away from death, and one powerful attack away from victory.
  • Evolving the Presentation – Using the power of Unreal Engine 4, SNK is able to modernize the unique atmosphere and setting of past titles in a gorgeously artistic package that achieves a detail and graphical quality like never before.
  • Unique Cast of Returning and New WarriorsSamurai Shodown welcomes back iconic characters from past iterations, including the swordsman Haohmaru, his rivals Ukyo and Genjuro, the shrine maiden Nakoruru, and fan-favorite Galford. The starting roster will include a total of 16 characters—13 veterans and three newcomers to the franchise.
  • All New Gameplay – Carrying on some of the key fighting mechanics that made the series popular, such as the Rage Gauge, Rage Explosion, Sword Clash and more, Samurai Shodown will also include several new techniques, including a powerful, one-time use attack from each character called the Super Special Move.
  • Revolutionary New AI System – Titled Dojo Mode, SNK has developed a proprietary AI system that learns from player patterns and creates a specific Ghost clone from that data. With this system, players can fight against their own Ghost or take on the Ghosts of top players in mock battles.

preview:
https://gematsu.com/2019/03/samurai...er-44-minutes-of-gameplay-and-staff-interview

edit:
The game has a roster of 16 characters, 13 of which are returning from previous games. They are Charlotte, Earthquake, Galford, Genjuro, Hanzo, Haohmaru, Jubei, Kyoshiro, Nakoruru, Shiki, Tam Tam, Ukyo, and Yoshitora. The other three are completely new characters who have yet to be announced.

Last edited:

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Source: GEMATSU

Trailer

Gematsu 44 min gameplay:

• 0:20 – Story Mode Introduction: Galford
  • 2:04 – Story Mode Battle: Galford vs. Earthquake
  • 4:49 – Story Mode Battle: Galford vs. Haohmaru
  • 8:05 – Story Mode Introduction: Haohmaru
  • 9:48 – Story Mode Battle: Haohmaru vs. Galford
  • 12:09 – Story Mode Battle: Haohmaru vs. Genjuro
  • 17:02 – Story Mode Introduction: Nakoruru
  • 18:52 – Story Mode Battle: Nakoruru vs. Jubei
  • 21:27 – Story Mode Battle: Nakoruru vs. Jubei (Rematch)
  • 24:35 – Story Mode Battle: Nakoruru vs. Earthquake
  • 29:13 – Battle Mode Battle: Haohmaru vs. Genjuro
  • 32:42 – Battle Mode Battle: Earthquake vs. Charlotte
  • 36:42 – Battle Mode Battle: Genjuro vs. Jubei
  • 41:39 – Battle Mode Battle: Galford vs. Charlotte

Interview and impressions from Gematsu:
https://gematsu.com/2019/03/samurai...er-44-minutes-of-gameplay-and-staff-interview

The game has a roster of 16 characters, 13 of which are returning from previous games. They are Charlotte, Earthquake, Galford, Genjuro, Hanzo, Haohmaru, Jubei, Kyoshiro, Nakoruru, Shiki, Tam Tam, Ukyo, and Yoshitora. The other three are completely new characters who have yet to be announced. I played as a few characters during my session, including Galford, Haohmaru, Nakoruru, and Jubei. As for stages, the stage selection screen appears to offer 13 total options.
Read more at https://gematsu.com/2019/03/samurai...eplay-and-staff-interview#CzlVsYy3MGxrDcpZ.99

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Nice to see a new JPN fighter on Xbox. It's been awhile, especially not counting the SF Collection. Arcsys said deuces to the platform lol.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Will likely get it on PS4, then PC later.
I would have liked to buy it on Switch, but no way after that awful SNK Heroines port. Really hopeful they're not working with that dev ever again, especially when it already had a portfolio of bad ports beforehand.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Genjuro's silhouette is hella fucked up on his model. His shoulder completely covers his face. :/

That was a super sick trailer, though.

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
YASSS SHIKI IS BACK
Hope she retains her Shikiju from SvC Chaos

Trailer is dope too, seems like Athlon Games are confident in this game.

I hope that dismemberment comes back, at least in the Western versions.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
SNK is putting the work, so they have my support. Day one for me! Ps4 ready to go. Just hope the online is any good.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Game looks dope, with buy on the X, just have to order a fight stick. Wish I can buy an adapter for my PS4 fightstick to plug into my Xbox.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Overall, I do like what I'm seeing!

I do miss the camera not doing dynamic zoom-ins and panning over from the loser and then over to the winner. Pleasantly surprised to see Tam Tam and even Yoshitora. Though I know that Yoshitora is going to generate some issues...

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think the game looks fine. Nothing crazy, but it's usibg the art style to its advantage compared to say MVC:I. It's definiteky leagues better than the last KoF

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Kind of interesting to reveal the majority of the roster like that, but fair enough. Looking forward to who the three new characters are.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Where did they mention the Switch version and PC delay?

I hope the Switch version is not handled by a different studio or with limited functionalities. (i'm okay with inferior resolution but restricting is just stupid)

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not even a 2019 pc release? Go fuck yourself. Doubt I'll even buy it at that point. Yet another company that treats PC like a second class citizen. Thank god their are already half a dozen decent fighters to play already, just one more I won't bother to learn.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Might get this solely for nakoruru. Didn't know she originated from this series

What's with the influx of samurai games in 2019 anyways

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
For the budget they are making this game, it may look fine, but does it also look fine for the price they'll sell it for? That's another important question.

Well King of fighters looked like shit, and was full price so... It's about the quality of the content sometimes not always about how the game looks. I mean could it look better? Yea for sure, especially if someone like System Arc's did it. But this is SNK. A shell of a company trying to put itself back together.

I think they fact we are getting a new SS game with how well it plays is good enough. If you don;t think it is worth it then wait. Same people did the same thing with KOF and it went down to 39.99 very quickly.

Just don't ask 60€ for this if it's a low budget game.

I agree, but again quality of the game isn't always in how it looks. It looks like a lot of time has gone into this game from how it plays.

Should Shenmue 3 be full price?

Should all those ports from Wii u that have hardly any changes done be $59.99? People will vote with their wallet. But I've giving them the benefit as seeing this game seems to be in much better shape then King of fighters was when it released.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game looks like SFIV graphics wise, which is fine with me. Still looks miles better than kof14.