• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tips on how to use Wu Ruixiang? I dont know how to setup her traps which seems to be an important part of her gameplan

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Tips on how to use Wu Ruixiang? I dont know how to setup her traps which seems to be an important part of her gameplan

Set trap on ground, spam projectiles, when they get hit by trap and launched into the air juggle them with the attack where she shoots fire out her shield. The more you play with her the more you will get used to spacing the traps and forcing the enemy into uncomfortable situations.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and punches/kicks can't be parried as well.

It's a well thought out system where everything has its purpose.
We'll see how it holds up as the meta develops, but just messing around for a couple days, the game's systems seem extremely elegant. Tons of depth without being overly complex.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I can just get a regular PS4 right? It seems like I shouldn't have to get a Pro just for fighting games. I'm not too interested in all the Sony first party games.
I jumped in last holiday season with the $199 Spider-Man bundle. It's been mostly fighters. I even bought DBFZ again for cheap so I could actually find people in ranked to play with without waiting for half an hour.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I intended to balance my time between this and Mario Maker way better, but I keep getting sucked back into doing more Ranked matches. No real complaints on the online so far besides how the lobbies are currently set up.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PSPRO legit has 0 load times, at most its half a second. Its insane the difference

Do you have a PS4 SuperPro or something? I have a Pro- matches usually load up in about 14-15 seconds. That's actually on par with some other fighting games and not too bad. Oddly the load times are longer in the story mode- have gotten up to 30 seconds there.

Nov 11, 2017
I'm enjoying my time with this so far. I'm definitely not a fighting game guy most of the time, but SS has always been the one I come back to, ever since 2. I love the less combo-focused, more methodical play style of the series and I'm glad to see they really recaptured that feeling in this one. It really feels great to play, Galford has always been my go-to (dopey as he is) and coming back to him in this game I instantly fell back into my old rhythms. Love the way all the mechanics interact, weapon flips, rage explosion, etc., the system has a lot of depth without being overly complicated.

All that said, I do have one (major) complaint, which is that the game is just... ugly. I know it's a matter of opinion, but to me the character models pretty universally just look off, they almost have this plastic doll sort of quality to them. And while some of the environments look pretty decent, others are downright laughable. Literally, I laughed out loud the first time I played on Nakoruru's stage. Not just the creepy bear with its swivel-head, but the textures, the trees, the water... it's just bad. Like, an unacceptable for a $60 game level of bad. This series has had such beautiful art over the years, and while it's natural to expect some amount of that to be lost in the transition from 2D to 3D, I'm really let down by just how bad it looks. I know they didn't have a Street Fighter-level budget for this game but I have to think they could have done better than this. /endrant

Good thing the game is so fun to play I guess. I really am enjoying every other aspect of it, it plays like a perfect adaptation of classic SamSho to 3D which is the most important thing. And I'm glad to support this despite my complaints about it, I hope it sells well enough so that we might get another one someday where they can improve upon it.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the faces don't look great, but I think most of the stages look very good. The animations are great as well.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I'm enjoying my time with this so far. I'm definitely not a fighting game guy most of the time, but SS has always been the one I come back to, ever since 2. I love the less combo-focused, more methodical play style of the series and I'm glad to see they really recaptured that feeling in this one. It really feels great to play, Galford has always been my go-to (dopey as he is) and coming back to him in this game I instantly fell back into my old rhythms. Love the way all the mechanics interact, weapon flips, rage explosion, etc., the system has a lot of depth without being overly complicated.

All that said, I do have one (major) complaint, which is that the game is just... ugly. I know it's a matter of opinion, but to me the character models pretty universally just look off, they almost have this plastic doll sort of quality to them. And while some of the environments look pretty decent, others are downright laughable. Literally, I laughed out loud the first time I played on Nakoruru's stage. Not just the creepy bear with its swivel-head, but the textures, the trees, the water... it's just bad. Like, an unacceptable for a $60 game level of bad. This series has had such beautiful art over the years, and while it's natural to expect some amount of that to be lost in the transition from 2D to 3D, I'm really let down by just how bad it looks. I know they didn't have a Street Fighter-level budget for this game but I have to think they could have done better than this. /endrant

Good thing the game is so fun to play I guess. I really am enjoying every other aspect of it, it plays like a perfect adaptation of classic SamSho to 3D which is the most important thing. And I'm glad to support this despite my complaints about it, I hope it sells well enough so that we might get another one someday where they can improve upon it.
I feel you on the ugly part. But I really think it's more of the new designs. Guys like Jubei & Hanzo look fine. While Darli Dagger and others look like shit. I dunno... that overall filter looks bad too, makes earthquake look like he's made of some fabric.

But all in all the gameplay is great.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else wonder why jubeis counter doesn't work against kicks? For those who aren't hip you can drop kick the man to death. Still find it strange they wouldn't allow that seeing as how he doesn't have a legit anti air

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
The artstyle is fine but some of the character models are disturbingly short and compressed. Hao, Genjuro, or Jubei have very short legs and no neck at all. Reminds me of the cursed ol' days of 50hz PSone games in EU.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else wonder why jubeis counter doesn't work against kicks? For those who aren't hip you can drop kick the man to death. Still find it strange they wouldn't allow that seeing as how he doesn't have a legit anti air

Punches and kicks can't be parried in general, the same applies to Jubei's counter. It has to be a weapon based attack.

Deleted member 25580

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like that you can rematch as many times as you want to in ranked. I don't care about my rank, I just want to face good players with good connections. This game especially, short matches, big damage and all that... you just want to run it back, win or lose.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I like that you can rematch as many times as you want to in ranked. I don't care about my rank, I just want to face good players with good connections. This game especially, short matches, big damage and all that... you just want to run it back, win or lose.
Speaking of which, I joined a lobby called TRUMP2020 and proceeded to beat the guys ass over and over until he kicked me from the room lmao. Sometimes there is justice in this world.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Do you have a PS4 SuperPro or something? I have a Pro- matches usually load up in about 14-15 seconds. That's actually on par with some other fighting games and not too bad. Oddly the load times are longer in the story mode- have gotten up to 30 seconds there.

Granted, I have an SSD in my Pro, but 30 secs in story? That's crazy. Mine are nowhere near that long in story.

lyte edge

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Did I actually had to "purchase" the season pass separately even though I pre-ordered the game digitally? Because I just wanted to check on the web store (USA PSN) but couldn't find it or any indication if it got automatically claimed (only the pre-order theme and the Haohmaru DLC costume).

Edit: Did some more digging and found the store page for the season pass and yes, it says "purchased". Phew!

Last edited:

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Why is the season pass a game on the Xbox Store? I claimed it and it doesn't show up anywhere on my ready to install list. This is the weirdest handling of dlc I have ever seen on Xbox.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Puhh was really liking online fighting but now its already happening as with every other fighting game -> the explorer days where a lot of people are on the same level are over. I just gut crushed battling with 5 different guys 15 times or so. Always the same....

Maybe i just need to learn another character, Yashamaru seems to complex for me.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I freaking love this game.

Samsho 2 was one of my first fighting games, and this one is the first fighting game I've ever been able to convince my husband to play with me/learn. And he's actually getting it! I'm having such a fantastic time.

I like both Charlotte and Yashamaru.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I jumped in last holiday season with the $199 Spider-Man bundle. It's been mostly fighters. I even bought DBFZ again for cheap so I could actually find people in ranked to play with without waiting for half an hour.

Wow, that's really cheap. I finally pulled the trigger yesterday, but there are no bundles going on right now, so I kind of got screwed over a little. I had to pay $300 for some limited edition slim.

But yeah, it's good to finally be in the Playstation ecosystem for fighters.

Oct 25, 2017
Based on initial impressions here I think this is already in the lead for one of my favorite fighting games ever.
Now if I could get a good online experience that would be even better.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel guilty beating up teenagers and animals in fighting games. But something about kicking the shit out of a dude with TB makes me feel guilty lmao

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is the biggest thing going for it for netplay, sure people are setting up macros for repeat fights. But who cares, leaderboard don't mean anything.

Btw todays the last day to grab season pass to anyone on the fence of ever getting it!

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I've said it three times before, but we're almost a week in now and I can honestly say I've only had one match that was slightly laggy online. Every other match has been like sitting in the same room with random players. I only play with randoms.

I love playing Earthquake online. No one has any idea what to do against him and his stuff is so troll worthy. People hate losing to the huge fat guy. LOL!

Oct 25, 2017
canada
I freaking love this game.

Samsho 2 was one of my first fighting games, and this one is the first fighting game I've ever been able to convince my husband to play with me/learn. And he's actually getting it! I'm having such a fantastic time.

I like both Charlotte and Yashamaru.

Same! My room mate doesnt really play FGs other than Smush and hes liking this

Oct 25, 2017
canada
I've said it three times before, but we're almost a week in now and I can honestly say I've only had one match that was slightly laggy online. Every other match has been like sitting in the same room with random players. I only play with randoms.

I love playing Earthquake online. No one has any idea what to do against him and his stuff is so troll worthy. People hate losing to the huge fat guy. LOL!

Same, online has been amazing for me with only two matches being like 6f

Deleted member 25580

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When it's good, it's pretty much flawless. I've had a few terrible, KOF XII-tier underwater matches, but these are the kind of matches you wouldn't want to play either way, no matter the netcode type.

Besides, not to excuse it, but I kinda think that a rollback netcode wouldn't be that much better for this game. You don't want an opponent unging around and hitting you with teleporting standing Cs all over the place. Most moves have enough startup that you can sorta react to most stuff, even with delay.

Speaking of which, I joined a lobby called TRUMP2020 and proceeded to beat the guys ass over and over until he kicked me from the room lmao. Sometimes there is justice in this world.

Lmao, that's perfect. Fuck that guy!

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Besides, not to excuse it, but I kinda think that a rollback netcode wouldn't be that much better for this game. You don't want an opponent unging around and hitting you with teleporting standing Cs all over the place. Most moves have enough startup that you can sorta react to most stuff, even with delay.
This only happens with poorly implemented rollback netcode.

Like SFV.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
This only happens with poorly implemented rollback netcode.

Like SFV.

No that's just rollback netcode period, that shit happens in Fightcade too. Also you trust SNK to make/impliment GGPO quality rollback?

Best way for the the online of this game to improve is more people buy it and play it. The more people online, the better chance you'll get a solid connection. People don't seem to grasp this concept.