• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
samuraishodown2019-screenshot10.png

Searched but didn't find a thread for this.

Here are the confirmed characters so far from recent trailers and articles, the game will launch with 16 characters
  1. Haohmaru
  2. Nakoruru
  3. Jubei Yagyu
  4. Earthquake
  5. Galford
  6. Charlotte (Zettai Ryokai edition)
  7. Genjuro
  8. Hanzo
  9. Kyoshiro
  10. Shiki
  11. Tam Tam
  12. Ukyo
  13. Yoshitora
The game will include 3 new characters to the series
  • Darli Dagger
  • Kuruma Yashamaru
  • Wu-Ruixiang

Personally, I'd like to see some characters from Sen and the 64 series in this game. The 64 series has about a handful of characters that didn't transition to the mainline series IIRC, and it'd be nice to have them in this game at least.

Let me know of any more speculations or info regarding the roster so I could update this post.

Last edited:

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Quick scan through the tv tropes character page has me hoping Angelica and Kurokouchi Yumeji make it in.

I also hope for a new character with Hook Swords.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Ukyo is always gonna be the sick pretty boy whom you wish your embrace would heal him of his ailments even 25 years after his debut huh?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have fear that the game will have a very small roster

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
Where is Cham Cham (and by extension, Tam Tam) supposed to be from? She looks like someone from Flintstones anime if that was a thing.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I assume the roster is going to be smaller than VI, but I wonder how many they'll be able to fit in.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm worried they're keeping obvious mainstay characters like Hanzô and Genjûrô as surprises. I hope it doesn't mean the roster is small. SS0S spoiled me...

Also, they haven't shown any new character yet, which is another concern.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have fear that the game will have a very small roster

Why?

KOFXIV had a 50 character launch roster after being in development for a little over two years.

SamSho has been in development about the same amount of time, if not longer, and doesn't need to have a roster anywhere near that size.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Where is Cham Cham (and by extension, Tam Tam) supposed to be from? She looks like someone from Flintstones anime if that was a thing.

They are from a fictional village in south america that for some reason still has some extinct species like dinousaurs

Why?

KOFXIV had a 50 character launch roster after being in development for a little over two years.

SamSho has been in development about the same amount of time, if not longer, and doesn't need to have a roster anywhere near that size.

They have not revealed that many characters and the game is going to be released in 3-4 months. A 20-24 roster should be fine but I don't have high expectations considering that SNK is still kinda new on this 3d thing

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I want my Basara please SNK. Also i hope the game goes to dark places like SS4, but it seems to be more in the tone of 2 i guess

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be fine with a roster of 25 as long as the core is good. No 3-4, no obvious errors like Sen or PS1, something slow, methodical, rewarding.
If the gameplay is a success, I'll buy all the season passes in the world.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have not revealed that many characters and the game is going to be released in 3-4 months. A 20-24 roster should be fine but I don't have high expectations considering that SNK is still kinda new on this 3d thing

They revealed 10 characters in the reveal trailer alone though.

And a 20-25 roster wouldn't be just fine, it would be rock solid.

I highly doubt we will ever get a roster as big as XIV again from SNK considering how busy people were complaining about the game rather than thanking SNK for that gigantic launch roster. Took em less than a month to whine about no DLC as well.

Heck even you are complaining about roster size expectations right now even though their previous game launched with 50 lol.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I highly doubt we will ever get a roster as big as XIV again from SNK considering how busy people were complaining about the game rather than thanking SNK for that gigantic launch roster. Took em less than a month to whine about no DLC as well.

Heck even you are complaining about roster size expectations right now even though their previous game launched with 50 lol.

I mean, let's not compare the XIV models with the ones from sam sho

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, let's not compare the XIV models with the ones from sam sho

Did the animation magically create itself for those 50 characters? Its not just the models. That roster was a lot of work.

But if you do want to talk about the models then XIV's were held back by their engine more than anything else. As has been shown many times now, the models themselves look solid when new lighting is applied to them or they are put into another game.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Hoping for Rimururu, Kazuki and Sogetsu.

Also expecting a small roster, those characters don't look cheap. 20 characters at launch is a very optimistic guess IMO.
Of course, DLC should expand it a lot.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised at a 16-20 character launch roster tbh with DLC trickled down after launch. People seem to be okay with that these days. It's also not a team game like KOF so by default it doesn't need to have a big roster.

Also, surprised this badass hasn't been mentioned yet:

yoshitora-ss6art.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I think Samsho1 core cast + fan service favourites from later entries, with some of those as dlc within the first six months is a solid bet.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

For KOFXV they'd surely keep what they already did though, wouldn't they? KOF has a history of re-using assets so I'd hope that they don't just throw away the 58 characters and start all over. I do know that many people weren't a fan of the graphics though so I wonder if it would require a complete re-work to get them to look better.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For KOFXV they'd surely keep what they already did though, wouldn't they? KOF has a history of re-using assets so I'd hope that they don't just throw away the 58 characters and start all over. I do know that many people weren't a fan of the graphics though so I wonder if it would require a complete re-work to get them to look better.

They will have a solid base to build off of for sure instead of having to start from scratch like with XIV, especially when it comes to the character animation.

Even with the 58 character roster though there are still plenty of SNK characters that are absent that fans would love to see. To keep things fresh a healthy number of XV's roster will probably be newly created I'm guessing.

Either way, there is no reason for them to over deliver with the launch roster like that again when you consider the roster for most other current fighters. 30-35 or so characters will be enough for the base roster with a consistent stream of post launch DLC.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yoshitora is the only character from the Yuki era that I expect, at least before DLC.
If only because Yuki made it so that all the new characters in their prequel are either dead or have a good reason to stop fighting by the end of the game, so their absence from subsequent game isn't weird. Rasetsumaru, maybe...

I also hope the bad sales of SNK Heroine convinced them not to lean too much on the fan service (i.e. "No Iroha thank you"). That's not where the main SNK audience is anymore.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised at a 16-20 character launch roster tbh with DLC trickled down after launch. People seem to be okay with that these days. It's also not a team game like KOF so by default it doesn't need to have a big roster.

Also, surprised this badass hasn't been mentioned yet:

yoshitora-ss6art.jpg
probably because he was designed by a pedophile

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
SamSho isn't like KoF which is team based.
A starting roster of 20-25 is fine. Personally though I'm fine regardless of roster size, long as mechanics are easy for me to take in :P

Here's one character that would be interesting if they decide to include
latest

Maybe as Ocha-maro 2.0 kind of thing because the big body it has would make its hitbox crazy.

Also gimme Seiger so I can introduce his delicious chest to every character in the game

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also hope the bad sales of SNK Heroine convinced them not to lean too much on the fan service (i.e. "No Iroha thank you"). That's not where the main SNK audience is anymore.

Well the way the new SamSho has been presented so far there is very little regard for fan service. Not to mention the two female characters revealed so far have very non-revealing designs.

That being said, Iroha's popularity is undeniable.

Oh and one thing I'm hoping for is that there is a better balance of male/female characters in the roster this time. In previous SamSho's the dudes outnumbered the ladies by a lot usually.

probably because he was designed by a pedophile

Pretty sure most people have no idea who designed him.

And he's an awesome character with a great move set and gameplay, not going to start hating on him all of a sudden personally.

Oct 25, 2017
The bear on SamSho backgrounds look so much like the SF4 animals lol
I'm expecting the whole SS1 cast to come back (Tam Tam and Genan BETTER come back), but also hoping for:
Genjuro
grappler Hanzo from 64/NGP, give the moveset to a new character
Kuroko
the Kazama twins
Basara
Gaira
Shizumaru
Yunfei
Rera
Gaoh/Demon Gaoh
Daruma
Mikoto
Rinka
Taizan

Sieger and Kusageredo can kiss my ass.
Also in for Shiki and Rasetsumaru. Since KoF had Nakoruru, SamSho could have some Last Blade guests, and I would vote for:
Akari, Amano, Hibiki, Mukuro (gimme Mukuro and Basara IN THE SAME GAME, SNK!), Setsuna (probably the best fit) or Zantetsu (PLS)

Edit-
wtf I got my boys Setsuna and Zantetsu mixed

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The only character that I really want is Gaira, as he is SamSho's truest grappler. I do think he'll make it into the base roster.

Other characters that I'd like to see return are Gen-An and Sieger, but I won't be broken up if they aren't included. I would like to see some new characters as well, at least two or three new characters. I also wouldn't mind seeing Kusaregedo return, but I kind of doubt he will. There ain't gonna be room for both Earthquake and Kusaregedo in this game.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also in for Shiki and Rasetsumaru. Since KoF had Nakoruru, SamSho could have some Last Blade guests, and I would vote for:
Akari, Amano, Hibiki, Mukuro (gimme Mukuro and Basara IN THE SAME GAME, SNK!), Zangetsu (probably the best fit) or Zantetsu (PLS)

Ditto, also still hoping that they assimilate the Last Blade characters into SamSho (it doesn't make sense timeline wise but who cares).

There are so many great characters there and thanks to the way they played in the Power style, they wouldn't be hard to adjust to SamSho's playstyle.

If they decide to do this then I think Setsuna's chances of being included are really good. SamSho already has Iaido user but Hibiki plays completely differently from Ukyo.

Oct 25, 2017
What is this Iroha slander.
18932.jpg

Ditto, also still hoping that they assimilate the Last Blade characters into SamSho (it doesn't make sense timeline wise but who cares).

There are so many great characters there and thanks to the way they played in the Power style, they wouldn't be hard to adjust to SamSho's playstyle.

If they decide to do this then I think Setsuna's chances of being included are really good. SamSho already has Iaido user but Hibiki plays completely differently from Ukyo.
Not to mention the potential of interactions between Setsuna and Genjuro, Amano and Haohmaru, Zangetsu and Hanzo, etc

SNK and ASW are the only companies doing unique intros and such at the moment.

Oct 26, 2017
Samurai Shodown has tons of fantastic characters in every game, even Sen, 64 and Warrior's Rage. At last count there's more than 70 different characters and many could justify a place in this, but that's not going to happen.

I don't reasonably expect more than maybe 16 characters in the initial game though. SS1 + Genjuro + Rimururu + a couple more. I think Iroha is a given DLC character as she'll sell millions.

Except for the obvious ones, I'd like to see Sieger, Yunfei, Shiki, Seishiro Kuki and Rinka Yoshino from Warrior's Rage, and finally Angelica and Kim Hae-Ryeong from Sen. I mean, even for such horrible games, look at these guys:

samuraishodown_seishiro_rinka.jpg

samuraishodown_angelica_kim.jpg

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Wan-fu will be in. I'm not the biggest SamSho fan, only knowing stuff about the series by cameos and just general SNK osmosis, but I played the original in an arcade like a year ago, and was thrown off by this guy because I had never heard of him, but there he was in the very first game.

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Oh that reminds me
What non snk guest charavter would you like to see jn the gsme?

OP
OP
Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Crazy as this'll sound but for some reason I'd like to see War form Darksiders in this XP

edit: Oh and this vid popped up in my feed.

Last edited:

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
If they're going for a well-balanced game at launch, I'd suspect the roster will be smaller (~16-18 chars) - this gets around tyranny of choice and eases onramping / learning for incoming new to the series players. Have they announced DLC / seasons plans? I've not been following the title close enough to know if they communicated how new characters will roll out and on what cadence.

It sucks when your fave doesn't get in there at launch though.

If Tam Tam is in, I'm in.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
18932.jpg

Not to mention the potential of interactions between Setsuna and Genjuro, Amano and Haohmaru, Zangetsu and Hanzo, etc

SNK and ASW are the only companies doing unique intros and such at the moment.

Yeah, here's hoping we see even more of that now that they don't have to worry about a huge roster with SamSho.

If they're going for a well-balanced game at launch, I'd suspect the roster will be smaller (~16-18 chars) - this gets around tyranny of choice and eases onramping / learning for incoming new to the series players. Have they announced DLC / seasons plans? I've not been following the title close enough to know if they communicated how new characters will roll out and on what cadence.

It sucks when your fave doesn't get in there at launch though.

If Tam Tam is in, I'm in.

No word on DLC yet.

Tam Tam was confirmed in the reveal trailer (he can be seen in the art in the OP, it's from the trailer)

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that reminds me
What non snk guest charavter would you like to see jn the gsme?
Non SNK? Hmmm
Give me Ryu Hayabusa with all the NG2 weapons as specials like Yashitora and his seven swords, or Joe Musashi, spacing with kunais and having high mobility with dive kicks and slides - if you prefer more melee action, Hotsuma is an option. Or Rikimaru and Ayame!

Huh, ninjas aside, Samanosuke would be godlike. Hakumen would be pretty out there but also could work really well. Outside of the samurai stereotype, Alucard or Ramza would be awesome from a visual standpoint and offer something different, playstyle wise.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Ready for Tam Tam. Pretty much would like to see all the characters return eventually except anyone from SamSho VI. Really dislike all the new designs from that game and include me among the Iroha haters. Sorry dudes. As for crossover characters, I dislike those too... If we have to have one I rather keep it in SNK land and bring someone from Last Blade or something. I rather see some new or returning characters. Some of those characters from the spinoffs seem pretty neat. Give them a chance to shine.

I'm expecting a smallish roster as well. 16-20 sounds about right. Honestly even if none of the people I really play made it in (which is not going to happen since Tam Tam is right there in the art), SamSho has such a cool cast of characters that I can hop in with quite a few of them.