• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Yep, also, Katanas were absolutely rubbish swords because Japanese Iron was famously deficient. They were only made to cut flesh, anything more and they would dent and become useless.
Best part of the "Tale of Heike" was reading about how many swords they were going through in a battle. Like literally slash one guy down, sword cracked so take his sword and go at next guy.

What we think of as samurai existed for only a very short time.

As I understand it, samurai started out as mercenaries for landowners at least a thousand years ago. The landowners would usually send out their samurai if there was a dispute.

Then warfare became larger in scale with armies of peasants turned into soldiers. It was felt the samurai needed something to make them seem above the common man so that the peasants would take orders from them and respect them as the voice of the lords. Over time the samurai became more ritualized with additional fluff to make them seem special.

Stuff like bushido was the inevitable result of bolting these rituals and stories onto the noble officers, and mythologies retconned historical accounts of samurai to incorporate late-era bushido into tales from ages before it existed.

Weirdly enough, the anime Samurai Champloo might be more realistic in some ways that most pop culture visions of samurai. Most "samurai" in the show are presented as soldiers or hired mercenaries of rich men. They are typically lazy and abusive towards ordinary citizens. And consider the "heroes" of the story. Mugen is a total thug who taught himself to use a sword and is on the lookout for money and food. And Jin, while having a more noble bearing and background, and above abusing innocent bystanders, is still a sword for hire who is always desperate for money and broke.

Oct 28, 2017
America likes to stereotype Indians as enlightened peaceful people who were nature spirit wizards. But native Americans held slaves and could be as brutal as anyone else in war. Disney did a number on us.

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
yes, science like lobotomy, eugenics, etc.

science without morals isn't any better than a lot of other human behavior. if anything, people should celebrate philosophy more.

Dude, I'm a philosophy student, there is way more bullshit in philosophy than science. Eugenics can be traced to ancient Greece and science did manage to phase out these things that you mentioned.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They look cool, and in the end that's all that matters.

The real ones didn't even look all that cool.

D09SvR2.png

Dude looks like a kid in cosplay

vs.

wDBxhx9.png

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I take your point. In the context of the movie where the modernisers are depicted as top-hat wearing ultra-capitalists, in terms of who was "fighting for Japan's soul" they were the people who had a chance at saving the country.
I suppose it speaks to Hollywood's tendency to force a good and bad dichotomy in historical settings when it's just different flavours of bad. I haven't seen The Last Samurai but your description makes it sounds like it's standard nationalist, nostalgia trite.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Best part of the "Tale of Heike" was reading about how many swords they were going through in a battle. Like literally slash one guy down, sword cracked so take his sword and go at next guy.
My favorite thing about medieval times is that the ulfberht swords were amazingly built for the time and no one has any idea who made them or where they came from.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. They ain't even true to life and ever displayed during their gun crazy period

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Yes. Especially bushido.

You read up on Japanese warfare, you'll learn Samurai, and their lords turn traitor on each other all the time in the middle of battle.

Either they were bought out beforehand, or they know they about to get their shit kicked in, and change sides during the battle.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yes but so were

Pirates
Knights
Spartans

Amongst all other warrior types. They are all guilty of some pretty crazy atrocities but the ideals they had are pretty attractive

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No more than other warrior class. The whole idea of Bushido also makes it seem larger than life. I mean, Jedi are based on them so....

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
From what I understand samurais were upperclass society. And they were usually weak as rich noblemans tend to be. Sort of like how British nobleman were automatically officers in the military.

Ninjas on the other hand. Poor people who worked their lives tilling fields and doing labor. They could probably wreck the samurai.

Last edited:

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
They are overly romanticized but probably not as badly as they were by Japan during the Taisho and early Showa eras. The samurai were praised as the ideal to aspire towards, and it warped Japan into a pretty insane society.

This is a horrendous oversimplification. The katana is a great design for a cutting sword when you're on an island archipelago with poor quality iron and you're mostly fighting unarmored opponents. Swords were designed based on the restrictions and needs of the time across the world.
This is somewhat true but katanas were always strictly a backup weapon. It didn't really get romanticized until the Tokugawa Shogunate, and even then they primarily served as a status symbol All told it's not too different from how the sword was viewed in the West: a cool symbol even though there were tons of better weapons out there.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
Samurai are romanticized in the same way knights were romanticized. They were mostly rich people who could afford armor/weapons employed by other people for protection.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Yes. Which is one reason why Masaki Kobayashi's Harakiri (Seppuku), which is a complete take down of the toxic Bushido code, is one of the few samurai movies I care for.

(**Spoilers in this trailer**)

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is somewhat true but katanas were always strictly a backup weapon. It didn't really get romanticized until the Tokugawa Shogunate, and even then they primarily served as a status symbol All told it's not too different from how the sword was viewed in the West: a cool symbol even though there were tons of better weapons out there.
Yep, swords were only really practical as sidearms in most cases. The biggest benefit of a sword over other weapons was size, so you could carry one on you easily, but they were also expensive and overall other weapons like the spear and the bow ruled the battlefield far more than the sword.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Samurai, ninja, cowboys, knights, etc. People were all manners of asshole, but they're fun to romanticize and imagine in an idealized manner closer to our modern values.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if people actually glorify the lifestyle vs think that swords are cool

Like I doubt people really think the Jedi lifestyle is cool. Everybody loves a lightsaber tho

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I mean they were in a warrior caste who's only societal job was to fight wars and kill people. They cannot be good people.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cow-boys were less romanticized IMO. Aside from the Clint Eastwood character most of them are villains.

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, swords were only really practical as sidearms in most cases. The biggest benefit of a sword over other weapons was size, so you could carry one on you easily, but they were also expensive and overall other weapons like the spear and the bow ruled the battlefield far more than the sword.

Yes, you wouldn't typically use a sword in a battle situation but more as a self defense weapon against un-armoured people. Spears and naginata plus bows were the weapons of war.

Whwn Tokugawa set up his reign and basically ended warfare, all those warriors needed something to do, so the sword and the entire bushido thing was mostly a hobby for bored nobles trying to beautify the horrors of what they had been doing up until then. Of course, a few inspiring stories like Musashi (who inspired pretty much all the "lone wolf swordsman" mythos) also glamourized the sword, but Musashi himself was a brute for a long time.

Now, as someone who practiced iaido and owns a sword, they are freaking beautiful and there is something to be said for the refined grace and self control of the idealized arts. But it's also important to remember the ugliness that preceded all that.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are romanticized exactly as much and in the same ways as medieval chivalric knights. The real difference is the sheer numbers/ratio and the focus on consistent details. At one point the Samurai class represented 10% of the Japanese population - and that's not counting the businesses and infrastructure they needed for that lifestyle. It was MUCH lower than that in medieval Europe although the numbers aren't terribly clear and open to a lot of fudging. But in terms of active military landed knights - an extremely small percentage.

But both were just as likely to murder peasants for sport or profit as rescue a damsel or daimyo.

After Portugal opened up Japan (and again towards the end of the Samurai era) the fascination was very much based on nostalgia for the Arthurian vision of knighthood and chivalry - the analogs to Bushido are obvious.

One weeaboo thing that blew my mind a little - because of the hyperbolic romanticization - was finding out that Japanese Samurai steel was actually pretty trash - a Spanish sword of the same era would have been vastly superior - thanks in part to cultural and technological inertia in Japan - and the isolation of the nation - they were slow to improve metallurgy. Since they were mostly fighting Japanese steel with Japanese steel, it suffered. This is partly my fault for thinking Highlander was a documentary.