• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this basically just the mobile phone app equivalent of taking a high resolution image and scaling it up until the desired part of the image fills your screen?

Like, if there's a story here it's just that the phone can take very high res images, not that it has any kind of new zoom technology.

The optical zoom from the phone is 10x which is still really good for a phone camera.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
That's a very safe assumption.

I think the 100x zoom is a nice gimmick but digital zoom will always suck compared to optical.
What I am more interested in is if the "48MP" (pic's will still be 12MP because of pixel combining) main sensor delivers better low light performance than the 12mp main sensor on the S20/+

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a yearly upgrade plan so I probably should. But there doesn't seem to be many early adopter incentives this time around. Usually places will throw in some goodies for those who pre-order etc.

DoubleG

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I want that kind of zoom capabilities on my next phone, but I don't want to buy a 6.9 inch monstrosity for that price.
The regular S20 has 3x optical zoom and 30x digital. Still an upgrade to my S8 but also disappointing.
I'm sure one of Huawei's upcoming phones will have the same zoom capabilities, but without the Google Services, Huawei is a hard pass for me.

mernst23

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
User Warned: Inappropriate commentary.
What would happen if I 100x zoomed my asshole? You think i could see what I just ate?

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's pretty cool but it's a gimmick. I think people should start focusing on 4x-10x zoom because it's actually pretty amazing - pictures are still sharp and detailed.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
All the reviewers (the ones I follow) using the phone right now don't really hype up the 100x camera that much. They say is a gimmick more than anything.

Waiting on Oneplus to see what's up with the Oneplus 8 or 8 Pro because I'm abandoning the Pixel boat...
I mean it quite clearly is a gimmick, it's more useful as a telescope than for actually taking pictures unless you want really low quality shots of the tops of buildings.

I'd rather companies try to achieve main camera quality across their three lenses than throw in gimmicks like this, a 5x optical zoom with the same level of quality as the main camera would be way more useful.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the reviewers (the ones I follow) using the phone right now don't really hype up the 100x camera that much. They say is a gimmick more than anything.

Waiting on Oneplus to see what's up with the Oneplus 8 or 8 Pro because I'm abandoning the Pixel boat...

Kinda it is,

I have 50x zoom, with decent clarity on the P30 Pro.
Probably used it 2-3 times when the phone was new, no more.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Kinda it is,

I have 50x zoom, with decent clarity on the P30 Pro.
Probably used it 2-3 times when the phone was new, no more.
I've used it on my wife's P30 a few times (last was filming my kids parasailing a few weeks ago). The pics are blurry shit, but it was fun. I'm not trying to be some sorta wanna-be national geographic photographer or anything.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've used it on my wife's P30 a few times (last was filming my kids parasailing a few weeks ago). The pics are blurry shit, but it was fun. I'm not trying to be some sorta wanna-be national geographic photographer or anything.

P30 normal one?

It have a different zoom system.

But even on the pro, optical zoom is 5x, they say with processing and combining that can reach 10x "lose less" but over that is no different that any phone.

Good stabilisation tho for that zoom level at least.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Man, I hate the form factor of that phone (way too big for me), but god damn if I don't want one now.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I tried it yesterday at work, it's impressive for the first x10 zoom which are optically, beyond that image quality gets quite nasty honestly.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
As something for taking pictures it's obviously pretty rubbish at the minute but as a starting block it's very interesting. When you consider the advances made in machine-learning upscaling we could realistically see something in a few years that will give the impression of pictures being taken through an optical zoom rather than digital.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
P30 normal one?

It have a different zoom system.

But even on the pro, optical zoom is 5x, they say with processing and combining that can reach 10x "lose less" but over that is no different that any phone.

Good stabilisation tho for that zoom level at least.
Yeah. Pro. It should be "better" even past the 10x since it has more data to work with, but yeah, it's still blurry. Digital zoom should get much better in the next few years with AI upscaling techniques.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It actually has decently far zoom; it's not the only phone that does it. High res zoom that is gradually supplanted by software zoom the further you get. Once you get to 100x zoom, it's all software at that point.

The optical zoom from the phone is 10x which is still really good for a phone camera.

Oh cool, I didn't realise we were doing optical zooms in phones now. Is that a common feature?

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah I can't wait to have this technology in five years. That's when I'll be willing out to pay for this type of tech then because presumably it will at least be half the price. lol

I'm still using an iPhone 8. I'll be using this thing until the day it dies. Hopefully it lasts several more years.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I think that the 100x is a great tool rather than a feature meant for high quality photos.

Will make snitching much more effective! You'll be able to see more details in sporting events if you have shitty seats!

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh cool, I didn't realise we were doing optical zooms in phones now. Is that a common feature?
Not really no, only the most expensive flagships do optical zoom that's worth a damn. I think people are missing the point of S20 Ultra though. It's not about 100x zoom gimmick, it's that you'll finally be able to take good quality 2x-10x zoom photos with your phone which is incredibly useful.

Oct 28, 2017
The time has come!

ENHANCE

DhK9ZZ.gif

That which was fiction is now fact. What a time indeed.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. There's something like maybe six Huawei phones that have it, two of which have the same level of zoom as the S20, maybe two Xiaomi phones, Samsung's entire 10 line from last year (has 2x optical zoom), and of course the S20's.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Digital zoom is trash so the real story should just be that it is high res 10x optical.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Optical zoom on the Ultra is super awesome. Digital, however, is shit. We're judging this from a small video of a small screen (and Steph is still anything but "clear as day"). Let's look at actual shots before being "impressed", y'all.

That said, would love to see an attempt at this from Google with their voodoo software.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Digital zoom is trash so the real story should just be that it is high res 10x optical.
It depends if they are using more advanced software, maybe combining multiple images. The night photos using Google camera for exampl aren't as good as a flash or super high iso but they are much better than just turning the brightness and contrast up on an image.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's fantastic but the off screen detail is not helping -- anyone got links to the actual capture results? - it's already Destroying my ancient iPhone X - but I'd want to see what it does on resolution and resolving of detail - I'll also add to its credit that it's handling the low and mixed light conditions like a champ.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this basically just the mobile phone app equivalent of taking a high resolution image and scaling it up until the desired part of the image fills your screen?

Like, if there's a story here it's just that the phone can take very high res images, not that it has any kind of new zoom technology.

For the purpose shown, if it's capturing real photons, the two ideas are not contradictory and the results are what's impressive, not the specific method.

I was just doing a reccy for some locations in Europe and this thing would have absolutely saved my ass and a shit ton of time. I could have avoided some fairly precarious walks down scree in freezing winds, and even spotted some locations that weren't on the list. And that's ignoring holiday snaps of like Whales breeching, or sneaking pictures of celebrities or weirdoes at the airport and so on.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
How is a 10X optical zoom possible on a device so thin?
The biggest difficulty with zoom is optics. It takes glass and space, more than could fit in a smartphone chassis as we think of it.
So they turned it sideways.
This is a diagram from the Huawei P30 Pro which uses a similar design as the S20 Ultra.

2534570433_large.jpeg

I believe the S20 Ultra does this for 4x to 10x, along with some sort of cropping of the sensor.