• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
thats alot of e waste

These are phones that are just sitting there waiting to be bought - but apparently not enough people want them.

The A series of mid-range devices allegedly takes up a huge portion of this stuck inventory,

Samsung is aiming to ship around 270 million smartphones this year, and 50 million is 18% of that. "Healthy" stock numbers would be at or below 10%

Samsung made around 20 million units per month early this year, but that dropped to around 10 million in May

Source: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_ap...lion_devices_due_to_low_demand-news-54759.php

Last edited:

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
I look at the Samsung A series, and I wonder what kind of lunatic would want to buy them over a phone by Xiaomi, Oneplus Nord, and similar brands. Then again, I have some suspicion that the reason for the stuck inventory is because people are moving to more expensive phones.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My samsung S phones have been all great, while the A start to get terrible quickly, so im not shocked

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
That's a bummer, they make good phones. I don't do the latest so I just recently upgraded from an S9+ to S10+ and they're both really good phones

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
A series is overpriced vs competitors.

S series is just an iPhone copy at this point with the removal of the MicroSD and headphone jack.

And only 256GB storage in the regular/plus. Try to find a S22 Ultra 1TB lol

Fucking Samsung. My Note 20 Ultra is my last one.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Before even opening the thread I knew it would be about the A series.
My uncle always bought an A series and hated it so much that he switched to iPhones.

I always told him to get an older S series rather than the A series.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
They should make fewer variations and try to reduce the price on those A series. I would take their software over xiaomi/oneplus etc but msrp on these phones are way too high.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I look at the Samsung A series, and I wonder what kind of lunatic would want to buy them over a phone by Xiaomi, Oneplus Nord, and similar brands. Then again, I have some suspicion that the reason for the stuck inventory is because people are moving to more expensive phones.

There are billions of smartphone users in Asia, and many of them cannot afford expensive phones. There is a huge market for budget phones, but the competition for this market is tough.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
List them for less money, and they will sell.

Simple as that.

All smartphones are overpriced to begin with. Inflation ain't exactly helping either, since people got tighter budgets now.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard the S22 series isn't doing super well, either. That's a shame - my S22 Ultra is probably the best phone I've ever used.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be happy to replace my Galaxy A3 2017, but at the right price. Your move, Samsung.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about grabbing the A53 but my LG6 phone was going to be incompatible at the end to 2021 and couldn't wait. Just grabbed a 13 pro max and will ride it out for 4 years or so. After that we'll check out android phones again.

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021
A-series is pretty terrible at the moment. Especially the mid range A-series phones. At work many have those mid price A-series phones and they become so slow in a year. It's almost impossible to even open outlook app and teams is terrible on those phones.

On the other hand I just booted old S6 phone and I was freaking amazed how fast it still was. But I have no idea if it support all the latest apps, so probably won't be using it.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Normal income people are not buying cell phones right now when inflation is sky high and gas prices are through the roof.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Normal income people are not buying cell phones right now when inflation is sky high and gas prices are through the roof.

I feel like it's that plus the tech available is outpacing needs since developers have to plan for people to have non-optinal phones. Not that this wasn't true before, but the gains from phone to phone seem to be slowing so it means older phones can still work fine. Like my S9 ran everything flawlessly and the only reason I upgraded was to move from 32gb internal storage to 512gb. I was looking at newer phones and the storage was way lower, 128GB for twice the price and tech gains would have been minimal.

EraldoCoil

Oct 28, 2017
Cali
Zflip 3 is by far the worst phone I've ever owned and has turned me off of foldables/flip phones for at least the next 5-6 years. Would never recommend it to anyone.

Def gonna be my last Samsung phone.

Really hoping the nothing phone is godlike, otherwise I'm just going to Pixel 7 when it drops.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's that plus the tech available is outpacing needs since developers have to plan for people to have non-optinal phones. Not that this wasn't true before, but the gains from phone to phone seem to be slowing so it means older phones can still work fine. Like my S9 ran everything flawlessly and the only reason I upgraded was to move from 32gb internal storage to 512gb. I was looking at newer phones and the storage was way lower, 128GB for twice the price and tech gains would have been minimal.

Yeah I don't see a need to ever upgrade from my 13 pro max. It's ridiculously fast and lasts all day and then some. I may replace the battery one day but I'm gonna hold onto this phone until it won't power on.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
Who would have thought yearly phone updates with minuscule upgrades or improvements would be such a bad idea? Especially when you have like 264 models

Oct 27, 2017
This. I upgraded recently from an LG G8 to an S22 only because I switched carriers from Mint to Google Fi and that included getting an S22 for like $300 bucks.

I did notice the speed boost with 5G and slightly better reception in general even though Mint and Google Fi operate on the same T-Mobile network but I really don't notice the difference in terms of the 120 Hz screen or better processor/memory. In fact, I kind of miss the headphone jack and microSD slot even though I didn't use them that much.

Like ten years ago, you'd have to upgrade just to keep from having apps slow down but any flagship phone made in the last five years should do just fine for a normal user.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
I don't see the point of replacing my Note 9, plus it has features that newer models doesn't so 🤷‍♂️

As for the OP, maybe that wouldn't happen if they didn't spam dozens of Galaxy A models where 90% sucks ass and the 10% that does not is overpriced.

Shrike

Oct 25, 2017
Zflip 3 is by far the worst phone I've ever owned and has turned me off of foldables/flip phones for at least the next 5-6 years. Would never recommend it to anyone.

Def gonna be my last Samsung phone.

Really hoping the nothing phone is godlike, otherwise I'm just going to Pixel 7 when it drops.
Curious why you think that, my Flip has become my favorite phone ever. I've had no issues with it myself and it's just been nice to use.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
A series is overpriced vs competitors.

S series is just an iPhone copy at this point with the removal of the MicroSD and headphone jack.

This is how I feel about them.

The A series is no longer good value because the other brands do better budget phones. Also the A series just lost its headphone jack as well. The phone just has nothing to offer over its competitors.

The MicroSD and headphone jack was one of the good things about the S series and why I've owned 3 of them. Since the removal, just like I said about the A series, the S series has nothing to offer over other phones, so why buy them.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I hope more and more people move on from upgrading their phones in 1-2 years and stretch that to 3-5. The majority of new phones nowadays do the same shit you use your current phone for. These companies pump out crazy amounts of waste for devices you're going to be doing the same instagram/Era doom scrolling on as your current phone. Camera tech has been great for many years already, and those photos get compressed to hell in back when you share them anyway.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Not buying one until they put a headphone jack back in. Take a hint Samsung.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
There are so many S devices, at different price points, new and used. I'm not surprised.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Was using Samsung phones since the Galaxy S5 until last year when the iPhone 13 lineup released. Since the new Samsung phones dropped the headphone jack, didn't see any reason to upgrade to a newer Samsung. Went with an iPhone 13 Pro and never looked back. The battery and performance are just insanely better.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
S22 Ultra sucks.
I got it and it barely feels like a performance upgrade from my Note 10 Ultra from 3 years ago, and feels like a downgrade in terms of battery life.

May 14, 2021
After they refused to help me with a Samsung fridge(anyone who has owned one in the past 15 years knows the problem I had with it), I swore off all Samsung gear including their phones. Went to iOS and haven't looked back.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Samsung Ass series.

Almost every other companies midrange offering are flagship in comparison lol

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Went from my Galaxy S10 to an iPhone 13 and I'm super happy - I didn't know battery life this good was possible on a phone.

Not to mention the cameras and performance are better and the phone itself feels better built.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I've been happy with my A52G and the only phone that was comparable (slightly better) for the same price was the Poco F3 but I didn't deal with whatever shipping hassles from getting it from the drop shipping site offering it for the same price.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i'll take a free phone upgrade samsung and spend 5 mins a day talking to random strangers about how great samsung phones are, i'm still using the hand me down note 8 i got from my brother lol

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I've been happy with my A52G and the only phone that was comparable (slightly better) for the same price was the Poco F3 but I didn't deal with whatever shipping hassles from getting it from the drop shipping site offering it for the same price.

I've been happy with my A32 5G except for the (still decent) low-res screen, and the A52 looks like a really nice upgrade. People who buy ultra-high end phones in 2022 are suckers.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Ahhhh okay that makes sense it's mostly the A series. I had to get a replacement phone after i broke my s22 ultra and it was a pain in the ass. Best phone I've ever owned though

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
The A line is mostly budget S phones anyways.

S22 being a low seller makes me wonder if Samsung will really try to shorten the longevity now.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I have the A50 series lol. But I don't find it necessary to replace them yet.

Mid range phone has gotten good enough these days.