• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...eving-all-galaxy-fold-samples-source-11470350

SEOUL: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is retrieving all Galaxy Fold samples distributed to reviewers to investigate reports of broken screens, a day after it postponed the phone's launch, a person with direct knowledge of the matter said on Tuesday (Apr 23).

The retrieval comes as the world's biggest smartphone maker met with embarrassment ahead of the foldable device's US release on Apr 26, with a handful of technology journalists reporting breaks, bulges and blinking screens after a day's use.

Mar 19, 2019
Phones are already small enough to conceal in your shirt sleeve and slip in and out of your pocket. Why do we even need foldable phones?

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
If the Fold ends up never seeing the light of day, those pre-release review units might eventually become sought-after collectibles.

Oct 28, 2017
980nj7p.gif

Oct 29, 2017
What an utter shitshow.

Not taking the same level of glee I've seen from others about this, I'm looking forward to these phones working and being the norm.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
In two years when Apple makes a really good one, Fandroids are still gonna go "Yeah they just copied Samsung."

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One has to wonder how such a thing happens? Reviewers (who know how to use a phone) are having major issues with it within a day of use. Did they not test the Folds at all? Did they know about the issues and decided to push the product out anyway in hopes that early reviews don't catch 'em? Did they do testing and this somehow didn't come out at all? It's one thing to have issues after weeks/months, it's another to have them hours in.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
People are going to get fired over this and an unworthy exec is going to get a promotion.

Thus the ever rolling wheel of corporate fuckups will continue.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
So what happens if someone doesn't return a review unit? Are they legal property of Samsung, or the outlet the reviewer is tied to?

esseesse

Oct 27, 2017
One has to wonder how such a thing happens? Reviewers (who know how to use a phone) are having major issues with it within a day of use. Did they not test the Folds at all? Did they know about the issues and decided to push the product out anyway in hopes that early reviews don't catch 'em? Did they do testing and this somehow didn't come out at all? It's one thing to have issues after weeks/months, it's another to have them hours in.

You pretty much answered the question yourself.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
In two years when Apple makes a really good one, Fandroids are still gonna go "Yeah they just copied Samsung."
I mean it's what Apple does with everything. There's nothing wrong with that either, really. They just wait until they're able to refine a technology or make sure the market is truly ready for it before putting it out.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
All they had to do was a private beta and they would have seen the same results without the embarrassment.

esseesse

Oct 27, 2017
So what happens if someone doesn't return a review unit? Are they legal property of Samsung, or the outlet the reviewer is tied to?

Unless gifted, review units are usually property of the company so they have to be returned.
As for the gifted ones, they issued a recall.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
All they had to do was a private beta and they would have seen the same results without the embarrassment.
Yeah, I really don't know why they didn't properly test it. Problems always arise in the open wild as we see time and time again with new devices but a major fuck up where the device gets unusable within a day? Sheesh. Does being first to the market in a 2000 $+ segment really mean much to begin with?

This shouldn't been happening.

According to this video, there have been folding tests and I doubt Samsung wouldn't test it extensively before sending the phones out. Especially after the exploding batteries debacle.

Sterile testing lab vs actual use where the phone gets exposed to masses of lint and other particles 🤷‍♂️

esseesse

Oct 27, 2017
I think we should wait until Huawei's devices are at least in reviewers hands before we say this. The screens are still plastic. The hinge still looks like stuff could get in there and cause issues.

I hope they're good, but yeah. Perhaps wait and see.

Plus, Huawei's screen is not protected in any way. I much prefer the concept though.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

According to this video, there have been folding tests and I doubt Samsung wouldn't test it extensively before sending the phones out. Especially after the exploding batteries debacle.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Phones are already small enough to conceal in your shirt sleeve and slip in and out of your pocket. Why do we even need foldable phones?

The idea was for a tablet (somewhat smaller than an iPad Mini) that could be folded in half to be more pocketable (although it would be more than twice as thick).

There's a difference between testing a component independently in an idealized controlled environment and as a complete product in real-world situations.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

There's a difference between testing movable parts in a lab environment and a phone being in daily use, being put into dusty / linty pockets etc.
Seeing how the Fold is neither water, nor dust proof, it's not unlikely some kind of debris, or particles somehow made their way underneath the screen which broke the display layer.

I think we should wait until Huawei's devices are at least in reviewers hands before we say this. The screens are still plastic. The hinge still looks like stuff could get in there and cause issues.

I hope they're good, but yeah. Perhaps wait and see.

Huawei's design might be less prone to breaking from bending (as the screen doesn't need to fold that tightly but rather wrap around at a much higher radius) - but at the same time the screen(s) are on the outside of the phone, which makes it much more susceptible to damage via impact or scratches.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
How about instead of gimmicks like foldable phones they just spend more R&D on stuff like memory storage and battery capacity?

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference between testing movable parts in a lab environment and a phone being in daily use, being put into dusty / linty pockets etc.
Seeing how the Fold is neither water, nor dust proof, it's not unlikely some kind of debris, or particles somehow made their way underneath the screen which broke the display layer.

Phones breaking because of dust/lint in 2019 would indeed be embarrassing. I didn't even know the Fold wasn't dust resistant. I took for granted it was.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should unfold the phones, glue them into rigid cases, put a glass screen over them and sell them as high-end Galaxy Tabs.

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
How about instead of gimmicks like foldable phones they just spend more R&D on stuff like memory storage and battery capacity?

Let's see... 4,380mAh dual battery system that provides 7-10 hours of screen-on time.
512GB-1TB Storage (Keep in mind that the Galaxy Fold offered eUFS 3.0 storage - allowing it to transfer around 3.7GB of data within 3 seconds).
These two features alone were part of the Samsung Galaxy Fold - at least in its iteration that went out to reviewers. Let's not forget the 12GB of RAM too.

I don't quite understand the whole "this is a gimmick" perspective when it's actually a first generation tech - people said the same thing about the display of the Note series in its earlier iterations. Now there are few phones on the market that aren't at least 5.5 inches or larger (keep in mind that the first Samsung Galaxy Note was only 5.3" and people thought that was "too big" at one point).

Because gimmicks sell where as the ordinary consumer will not read tech specs

Seems like this is the case with those who are just looking at the Galaxy Fold in the eyes of someone who just sees the folding screen technology, not the hardware that they've crammed into it.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad this phone exists, even though it's not ready for primelight, just because the tech is so great and I'd hope 5 years down all companies have phones like this. It's the first time since the iPhone came out that I look at a phone and I feel like I'm looking something crazy future device.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if some will slip through the cracks and end up on eBay one day. I think they should let some of them keep it and have them use it daily for a few months to see how it holds up.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad this phone exists, even though it's not ready for primelight, just because the tech is so great and I'd hope 5 years down all companies have phones like this. It's the first time since the iPhone came out that I look at a phone and I feel like I'm looking something crazy future device.

Yup first device to do something really new. People calling it a gimmick don't use a phone for work too lol

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Phones breaking because of dust/lint in 2019 would indeed be embarrassing. I didn't even know the Fold wasn't dust resistant. I took for granted it was.
jbareham_190417_3377_0022.0.jpg

TheVerge's review unit died because something underneath the screen created a pressure point from within which broke the OLED layer.
If you look at that hinge, it totally looks like a tiny grain of sand might make it in there, some way or another.
jbareham_190417_3377_0066.jpg

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
According to a video I watched, almost all the problems with the screen come from a protective layer on the plastic screen. It has a small lip a the hinge, which led a couple of reviewers to believe that it was the usual protective membrane you get on phones, so they tried to peel it off.

It seems that the membrane isn't too well placed on the screen, so it easily catches lint, dust and the like, leading to the other issues with small bulges below the screen.

It *sounds* like an easy fix, but who knows.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017

It's kinda promising in a way. It may be that the issue is almost entirely due to reviewers removing the plastic protector layer, which testers within Samsung wouldn't do because they would know it's not to be removed.