• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Not you

Oct 27, 2017
I've been eyeing the q90T since it looks like it got kind of a significant price drop on Amazon. It doesn't seem like people are super happy with it though?
Depends on what you want, what you're coming from and what compromises you're willing to accept. It wasn't for me. There were things native to the technology that I couldn't unsee and had to return it. Overall the picture was great though.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha honestly I hate settings 😂
This may take me a while.... I am constantly tinkering: can't decide about black level and contrast enhancer.. I feel like when one of them is off, black becomes too dark 😅
Yeah same here, I got fed up and found a good enough point. Luckily mine are similar to the video besides the colour tone and contrast enhancer settings. Which is good because I didn't want to go through my sources and change them again.

Mar 11, 2019
Nah I like standard as well. All of these accurate colour videos recommend warm 2 though.
Same, do not understand how any warm setting looks more accurate. To my eyes standard looks more accurate, displaying the colours as I see them when watching real objects. It could be that for movies the colours are meant by the producers to be displayed on a warm setting. But overall for gaming, regular shows and sports, standard certainly seems way better.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Thanks! Came back into this thread now that I got my PS5.

I just can't seem to get used to Warm 2 or Warm 1. Am I mad for liking standard?
I have a 2015 4K Samsung JU6800 and I feel the same, don't know if it got better in these newer TVs but warm 1 and 2 is way too yellow, while Standard feels perfect and displays all colors as they should appear imo

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
you have to give warm 2 a day or so. it's the standard reference for movies and games. anything else is just wrong, as hdtvtest points out :)

I have been trying to since I asked you a few weeks back 😅😊 Can't seem to get used to it. Was trying to get used to it when watching shows and movies, and only today hooked up my PS5.

For example in Miles Morales the snow looks yellow instead of white, so I have a hard time understanding what people mean by accuracy. If they mean more movie-esque, sure I get that. If they mean closer to real life, not sure I agree.

Same, do not understand how any warm setting looks more accurate. To my eyes standard looks more accurate, displaying the colours as I see them when watching real objects. It could be that for movies the colours are meant by the producers to be displayed on a warm setting. But overall for gaming, regular shows and sports, standard certainly seems way better.

Yeh that's where I am at aswell. Also feels like the HDR pops more in standard.
Tomorrow gonna go through settings one more time, and decide definitively. Can't be bothered to flip flop all the time.

Oct 27, 2017
I have been trying to since I asked you a few weeks back 😅😊 Can't seem to get used to it. Was trying to get used to it when watching shows and movies, and only today hooked up my PS5.

For example in Miles Morales the snow looks yellow instead of white, so I have a hard time understanding what people mean by accuracy. If they mean more movie-esque, sure I get that. If they mean closer to real life, not sure I agree.

Yeh that's where I am at aswell. Also feels like the HDR pops more in standard.
Tomorrow gonna go through settings one more time, and decide definitively. Can't be bothered to flip flop all the time.
Telling you, all other settings are wrong ;)

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks! Came back into this thread now that I got my PS5.

I just can't seem to get used to Warm 2 or Warm 1. Am I mad for liking standard?
You need to change every screen you look at or your eyes will go crazy trying to adjust to different white balances. I use Warm 1 because I wear glasses with heavy blue light filters but Warm 2 is the most color accurate. It definitely looks piss yellow when you switch between standard and warm but trust me your eyes will be much happier once they adjust.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Ok any way to turn off the dimming/brightness issue when subtitles are enabled? It's actually vexing.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Okay, me again lol.

So I tried Cold war for the first time today. Kinda silly how you have to choose performance mode/resolution mode from the console settings.

My question is, why the flip is the game in performance mode (120hz) not displaying HDR? Please tell me the tv does support 4k/120+HDR

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
So the latest firmware has been up on their website for some time now, but my tv can't find it with the auto-update? What's up with that and how often does this stuff trickle down? Is the update any good for that matter?

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Besides HDR not working on 4k@120, I spotted another issue. The TV has scan lines. You can see the scan lines in the (grey) settings menu of the PS5, or just generally in a dark/grey environment (Demon's souls world 5)

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Besides HDR not working on 4k@120, I spotted another issue. The TV has scan lines. You can see the scan lines in the (grey) settings menu of the PS5, or just generally in a dark/grey environment (Demon's souls world 5)
Do they move slowly up the screen, with about 5 or six evenly spaced at any one time?

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Do they move slowly up the screen, with about 5 or six evenly spaced at any one time?

Yep they do indeed

I've read up on it, and tried it as well. You can have them go away my turning on the game motion plus feature (and optionally turning everything to 0)

Still I should not have to tinker so much with a tv.. seriously annoying

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yep they do indeed

I've read up on it, and tried it as well. You can have them go away my turning on the game motion plus feature (and optionally turning everything to 0)

Still I should not have to tinker so much with a tv.. seriously annoying
It's both hilarious and sad that this exact same problem is also on my Samsung 1080p set from eight years ago and still hasn't been fixed, what the fuck. My set doesn't have motion plus so I can't even get rid of them.

I was thinking about buying a budget 4K Samsung while HDMI 2.1 shakes out, but sounds like I might have the same problem lol.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
It's both hilarious and sad that this exact same problem is also on my Samsung 1080p set from eight years ago and still hasn't been fixed, what the fuck. My set doesn't have motion plus so I can't even get rid of them.

I was thinking about buying a budget 4K Samsung while HDMI 2.1 shakes out, but sounds like I might have the same problem lol.

It's frustrating when my 10 year old 1080p set doesn't haven't any of these problems 😂

Granted it can't do HDR or 4k... but think it does support 1080@120

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Manage to find a fix for the subtitle brightness issue! Thank fuck. It was driving me mad.

Enjoying the TV so much more now!

starbuck2907

Jan 29, 2018
I looked heavily at buying a Q90T. Decided to wait for MicroLED to become mainstream...might be a long wait. :(

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
I've started noticing a pretty clear checkerboard pattern on my Q90T, rotated 90 degrees. Is that normal? Is it the dimming zones or something that I'm seeing? It's most common at for example the dark blue bootup screen for the ps4, or when going between light and dark places in games I think. Should I be concerned?

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Are they ever going to fix the issues with the Q80T? How can these companies get away with releasing faulty products.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Sorry fellow Samsung users, I ended up selling my Q95T. Bought it for 1100€, and sold it today for €950.

I loved the anti reflection! Honestly using the tv during the day was great, didn't feel different to night.

however:
1) game mode (scan lines)
2) automatic subtitle brightness adjustment
3) Dirty screen effect (obvious in ambient mode, but not a feature I used)

were dealbreakers! It could have been a fantastic tv for me otherwise.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've had my Q80T since August and while I don't dislike it, I don't know that I'd recommend it for people looking for a high end TV right now. It looks great in bright, complex scenes, but the dirty screen effect is real if there's a lot of flat color, and local dimming is super noticeable with subtitles and in scenes with a few bright spots on an otherwise dark background.

OP
OP
manustany

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Firmware 1497.0 is out in Europe. Someone on AV Forums is reporting that the local dimming bug is gone in Game Mode. I will test the new update later today and report if I spot anything new.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Has Samsung fixed eARC so it passes through 5.1 uncompressed yet? I'm pretty sure the spec for this TV still says it can, but I can't find any news of a fix.

If not, how are owners getting surround sound from Xbox Series X without audio lag when routing through the TV?

(As I understand it, passing through bitstream from Xbox produces unusably high audio lag.)

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
I connected my psvr v2 to my pro and q90t tonight. As soon as I booted the hmd, the tv got kicked out of rgb/hdr mode and the ps4 said the tv doesn't support these settings, which it obviously does. Is this normal or is it perhaps my old hdmi cable that needs updating to 2.1?

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I know this thread is about the Q90T but I recently bought a Q80T due to an amazing deal I got. I have the colors calbirated and everything looks good on my Apple TV but I don't know what settings are mostly recommended when I'm gaming. Would yall mind helping me out on how yall are setting things up for gaming?

OP
OP
manustany

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
I know this thread is about the Q90T but I recently bought a Q80T due to an amazing deal I got. I have the colors calbirated and everything looks good on my Apple TV but I don't know what settings are mostly recommended when I'm gaming. Would yall mind helping me out on how yall are setting things up for gaming?

Here are my setting on my Q90T with PS5

HDR games

Game Mode on
Brightness: (set what you like the most)
Contrast: 50
Sharpness 0
Color: 25
Contrast enhancer: off
Local dimming high/normal
Color tone: Warm1/Warm2
Gamma: +2
Shadow details: -1
Color Space: Auto
Game Motion Plus: on (other GMP settings set to 0/off)

SDR games

Game Mode on
Contrast: 45
Sharpness 0
Local dimming low/normal
Gamma: 2.2
Shadow details: 0

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Here are my setting on my Q90T with PS5

HDR games

Game Mode on
Contrast: 50
Sharpness 0
Local dimming high/normal
Gamma: +2
Shadow details: -1

SDR games

Game Mode on
Contrast: 45
Sharpness 0
Local dimming low/normal
Gamma: 2.2
Shadow details: 0
Does GMP do anything when it's turned on but the values are zero? I briefly had a Q90T but had to return it, so didn't get to test this.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oooo. this is helpful. any particular reason you have shadow details -1 and gamma +2 on HDR?

How does the switch look with your SDR settings?

OP
OP
manustany

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Oooo. this is helpful. any particular reason you have shadow details -1 and gamma +2 on HDR?

How does the switch look with your SDR settings?
Some games looks a bit too dark with gamma at 0, and a +2, minus shadow details compesate the image.

Again, this applied on my Q90T, so maybe coulv be a little different on your TV. Also, I play on a very dark room and I don't like super bright images :-)

I have a Switch Lite, can't be connected to the TV, but with Series X settings are very similar.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone own the new QLED models from 2021? Rtings say they are aamzing, among the best for this year and they support PS5 very well.
I wonder how good is the 50 " model cus it doesn't have same nits as the others (2000 vs 1500).

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sorry, forgot to specify. Personally is not a big deal for me so... : )

EIGHT YEARS? Are you serious?! This is ridiculous
Oh I see, got you.

Yeah it's insane. I know because I recently retired my 8yo Samsung 1080 set and had scan lines even back then.

I really don't understand why they don't just fix it. Surely someone must have noticed. Obviously some TV models have brighter pictures than others, or handle motion better.

But something like scan lines should never be an issue. It's a fundamental defect.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
For anyone with a 2020 Samsung Q90T, apparently a firmware is available in the EU that enables LPCM pass through (which has until now been broken on the entire 2020 QLED range):

www.avsforum.com

2020 Samsung Q90T Owners Thread - No Price Talk

Incorrect, the 55 has 15*8 = 120 zones, the 65 and 75 both have more. I actually don't think it is incorrect. The vertical row is definately larger zones and I double checked, it is 120. I don't know what source you have but I can only count the ones I have using a video with a white quadrant...

OP
OP
manustany

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
For anyone with a 2020 Samsung Q90T, apparently a firmware is available in the EU that enables LPCM pass through (which has until now been broken on the entire 2020 QLED range):

www.avsforum.com

2020 Samsung Q90T Owners Thread - No Price Talk

Incorrect, the 55 has 15*8 = 120 zones, the 65 and 75 both have more. I actually don't think it is incorrect. The vertical row is definately larger zones and I double checked, it is 120. I don't know what source you have but I can only count the ones I have using a video with a white quadrant...

Just checked some European support pages and the update doesn't seems to be available yet.