• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
First, my setup. My PS5 is connected via HDMI into the labeled hdmi port 4 for gaming consoles (2.1 support). Next, I have an optical cable going from my tv to my Logitech z-5500 system. Ive had these speakers forever and I had the same exact connection flow with my PS4 and TLC tv without any audio delay issue.

so, the issue is... when I'm watch Hulu, YouTube etc the dialogue is out of sync with mouth movement. If I plug my headphones into the PS5, the issue goes away and everything is in sync.

the output device within the PS5 only gives me one option (hdmi device TV) . The other audio options are bitstream Dolby and dts. When I choose those, my Logitech picks the signal up and shows optical audio and I'm in 5.1 mode, but the out of sync occurs with each of those settings. If I switch the audio setting on the PS5 to linear PCM the Logitech goes into stereo mode and there's no out of sync occurring.

Any thoughts?
This is why Samsung needs to fix the eARC on this tv. You either have compressed audio that can be out of sync with the picture or only get stereo sound. Very frustrating when it should pass through 7.1 channels via eARC.
Have you tried changing the audio setting on the tv between pass through and auto?

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody have a PS5 and has tested 4K/120? When in Dirt/DMC, my blacks get crushed instantly when going into 4K/120 mode. It's perfect without 4K/120.

This is after the latest update.

This happens to me on a q80t. So is it normal for HDR to disable at 4k/hdr? Its turns off on both Dirt and Black Ops. I assume the HDR turning off is causing the issue with the colours on Dirt.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
We got two q80t sets in my house. Both TVs exhibit a weird issue, every so often on the PS5, it will just jack up the colors and make everything look washed out. Restarting the console instantly fixes it. Not sure what's causing it yet. Any insight?

Oct 27, 2017
This is why Samsung needs to fix the eARC on this tv. You either have compressed audio that can be out of sync with the picture or only get stereo sound. Very frustrating when it should pass through 7.1 channels via eARC.
Have you tried changing the audio setting on the tv between pass through and auto?
It won't let me choose pass through ;( I also tried changing the delay numbers to no avail

Last edited:

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
We got two q80t sets in my house. Both TVs exhibit a weird issue, every so often on the PS5, it will just jack up the colors and make everything look washed out. Restarting the console instantly fixes it. Not sure what's causing it yet. Any insight?

I have a Q95T (same of the Q90T but with the One Connect Box) and it seems like there is bug using automatic resolution in the PS5 on the HDMI4 input (the only 2.1 port available on the TV).
Basically using automatic resolution with the PS5 connected to the HDMI2.1 port, when you turn on the TV the colors are all washed out. It's not a matter of calibration, the colors are simply incorrect, it's like watching a HDR signal in SDR to give you an idea.
In the video output properties of the PS5 it says the signal is RGB HDR (I thought it shouldn't be possible atm since that should be equivalent of YUV444 in terms of bandwidth?).
To fix the situation I had to switch to -2 in the 4K transfer rate option but that is a YUV420 HDR signal so with the worst possible color compression (although quite frankly in normal applications it's absolutely not noticeable).
I can also turn the setting back to automatic AFTER having switched to -2 and it goes back to RGB HDR but this time the colors are now correct (but I don't trust at this point that it's a RGB HDR signal as it claims...). The issue is that as soon as you turn off and on the TV you have to do the same thing again and again.

So basically you either use YUV420 or you're stucked doing the trick of Automatic-> -2 ->Automatic.
Since I was not happy with both solutions I simply put the PS5 on an other HDMI port and it works perfectly at YUV422 with no issues...it's not HDMI2.1 but it's enough for YUV422 HDR at 60Hz with game mode on.

There is definetly some bug going around, don't know if the blame is on the PS5 or the TV or both. I hope it gest noticed and fixed, the console should be able to output RGB/YUV444 at 120Hz with VRR eventually but right now it's kinda barebone and buggy.

Last edited:

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
It won't let me choose pass through ;( I also tried changing the delay numbers to no avail

Probably only allows pass through if the connect device has eARC.

Maybe this can offer a solution?

www.resetera.com

Sharc - The eArc device that can save you thousands as you prepare for Next Gen/Current PC Gaming

You may be asking...what the hell is a Sharc? Well, this little device can possibly save you thousands of dollars, especially as we approach the next Gen consoles and newer GPU's. Sharc in short is a device that allows you to use an older Audio Receiver that does not have eArc or shaky eArc...

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Maybe this can offer a solution?

www.resetera.com

Sharc - The eArc device that can save you thousands as you prepare for Next Gen/Current PC Gaming

You may be asking...what the hell is a Sharc? Well, this little device can possibly save you thousands of dollars, especially as we approach the next Gen consoles and newer GPU's. Sharc in short is a device that allows you to use an older Audio Receiver that does not have eArc or shaky eArc...
The problem also is that the tv doesn't pass through properly on eARC as it compresses LPCM down to 2 channels. Samsung just needs to fix the eARC on their TVs.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I need some help choosing sound options. I have a Samsung q90t connected to a q900t via earc. On the ps5 I need to know which audio format I should use pcm or bitstream . On the tv should I be passing through to the soundbar?

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Hey guys, I ordered this one a couple of days ago, should get here tomorrow evening:

I'm a little confused about the name though, what makes this a "QE65Q90TATXXC" and not just a "Q90T"? And also, does it truly have a 2.1 port? And if so, it's technically just a 40Gbps port right, not the full 48? Perhaps that's why certain sites and reviews say it only has 2.0(b?)?

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Hey guys, I ordered this one a couple of days ago, should get here tomorrow evening:

I'm a little confused about the name though, what makes this a "QE65Q90TATXXC" and not just a "Q90T"? And also, does it truly have a 2.1 port? And if so, it's technically just a 40Gbps port right, not the full 48? Perhaps that's why certain sites and reviews say it only has 2.0(b?)?

The 65 in QE65 is the size (inches) and the TV is the Q90T model.

It does indeed have a 2.1 port. Only one, the hdmi 4 port. The others are HDMI and also very capable.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Unrelated question.

Is there a way to watch video at 1.1x or 1.2x using just these TVs?

I am used to watching stuff on PC, with VLC, which has super easy speed-up with an automatic pitch correction. Absolutely perfect for those movies where directors has a bit too much freedom with the pacing :(

WTF. Are there other people like this monster that do this? 😛

Oct 27, 2017
WTF. Are there other people like this monster that do this? 😛

You try watching something like Interstellar or Midsommar in 1.1x or 1.2x on VLC and report whether you can actually sense the difference. The Fast and Furious are extra-fast when you watch it like this :D

Try it, but not for a minute or two, watch the entire episode of a drama show or a movie.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
After having this TV for almost a month, I returned it. Broken eARC, purple ghosting, bad local dimming/blooming in Game Mode, distracting Dirty Screen Effect, and only 1 HDMI 2.1 port.

The LG CX was the same price as the Q90T so it just made sense to do a swap. The CX has none of the issues that I experienced with the Q90T, and the picture quality is even better.

The Q90T is a great TV, but it feels like Samsung screwed up on the software end of things. Aside from DSE, the other issues could be fixed through firmware. I just don't feel like waiting to see if they ever do it.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
You try watching something like Interstellar or Midsommar in 1.1x or 1.2x on VLC and report whether you can actually sense the difference. The Fast and Furious are extra-fast when you watch it like this :D

Try it, but not for a minute or two, watch the entire episode of a drama show or a movie.

Hey I'm from the UK we've had like a 4% PAL speedup for years growing up 😂

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
The 65 in QE65 is the size (inches) and the TV is the Q90T model.

It does indeed have a 2.1 port. Only one, the hdmi 4 port. The others are HDMI and also very capable.
Thanks, yeah that part I know of, I'm wondering what the extra letters are for and google is failing me. That 2.1 port though, it's not the full 48 gbps spec is it?

Medze

Oct 28, 2017
Most annoying thing about this TV is that every time I turn it off then back on, it refuses to connect to my network and I have to hold the power button on the remote to do a full reset. Is there a way to fix this or do I just have to deal with it?

Not you

Oct 27, 2017
After having this TV for almost a month, I returned it. Broken eARC, purple ghosting, bad local dimming/blooming in Game Mode, distracting Dirty Screen Effect, and only 1 HDMI 2.1 port.

The LG CX was the same price as the Q90T so it just made sense to do a swap. The CX has none of the issues that I experienced with the Q90T, and the picture quality is even better.

The Q90T is a great TV, but it feels like Samsung screwed up on the software end of things. Aside from DSE, the other issues could be fixed through firmware. I just don't feel like waiting to see if they ever do it.

Yeah, I returned mine as well, but only after one day. I couldn't get over the DSE, the other issues weren't as bothersome/didn't have time to notice. Since my 5 year old js9000 has 0 DSE, it chaffed me that this brand new top of the line panel, suffered so noticeably from it. I'm not interested in the CX at the current price and all the compromises it comes with, so I'm going to wait until next year.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Q95T (same of the Q90T but with the One Connect Box) and it seems like there is bug using automatic resolution in the PS5 on the HDMI4 input (the only 2.1 port available on the TV).
Basically using automatic resolution with the PS5 connected to the HDMI2.1 port, when you turn on the TV the colors are all washed out. It's not a matter of calibration, the colors are simply incorrect, it's like watching a HDR signal in SDR to give you an idea.
In the video output properties of the PS5 it says the signal is RGB HDR (I thought it shouldn't be possible atm since that should be equivalent of YUV444 in terms of bandwidth?).
To fix the situation I had to switch to -2 in the 4K transfer rate option but that is a YUV420 HDR signal so with the worst possible color compression (although quite frankly in normal applications it's absolutely not noticeable).
I can also turn the setting back to automatic AFTER having switched to -2 and it goes back to RGB HDR but this time the colors are now correct (but I don't trust at this point that it's a RGB HDR signal as it claims...). The issue is that as soon as you turn off and on the TV you have to do the same thing again and again.

So basically you either use YUV420 or you're stucked doing the trick of Automatic-> -2 ->Automatic.
Since I was not happy with both solutions I simply put the PS5 on an other HDMI port and it works perfectly at YUV422 with no issues...it's not HDMI2.1 but it's enough for YUV422 HDR at 60Hz with game mode on.

There is definetly some bug going around, don't know if the blame is on the PS5 or the TV or both. I hope it gest noticed and fixed, the console should be able to output RGB/YUV444 at 120Hz with VRR eventually but right now it's kinda barebone and buggy.
Why not just choose the resolution instead of setting it to automatic?

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Why not just choose the resolution instead of setting it to automatic?

I've tried it but it doesn't fix the issue.
The only way to fix it is to change manually the 4K transfer rate option (not the resolution setting). There are just three options: Auto, -1( no HDR), -2 (only YUV420 color). You're basically forced to switch from auto to -2 and then to auto again to get 4K RGB/YUV444 at 120Hz.
Hopefully this gets fixed by Sony/Samsung (don't know who's to blame here). In the meantime given that VRR is not enabled on PS5 and I don't plan on playing games at 120fps given the huge graphical compromises, I'm sticking to the HDMI2.0 port that works perfectly in 4K HDR YUV422 at 60Hz (basically the same settings of the PS4 Pro) without having to switch things manually everytime I turn on the TV.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
There seems to be a setting either in the tv or in my ps4, but booting the tv automatically also boots the ps4 somehow. Maybe because I last had that hdmi port in use when I turned off the tv last time? Can I disable this somehow?

Edit: Seems it was the HDMI-CEC setting.

Anyway, got something else that's weird. While playing TLOU2 (which I believe is a steady 1440p on the pro), I get these weird fluttering effects on the screen when moving the camera, oftentimes indoors. It looks almost like water ripples. Any ideas what can cause that? Seems to only be in TLOU2 though, so I doubt it's the tv's fault necessarily.

Last edited:

Outlaw Torn

Oct 25, 2017
I just got a Samsung Q90t and I'm having some trouble with HDR and VRR while playing at 4K 120 on a Series X. Using Game mode on Input 4 with an HDMI 2.1 cable. I have no issues with HDR/VRR 4K120 in games like AC Valhalla, Madden 21, and Gears 5. I am having issues with Cold War, Halo MCC, and any game that uses Auto HDR. For some reason these games do not activate HDR while playing at 4K120 with VRR. The Xbox guide says auto HDR is active, but my TV says it's not. In Cold War and MCC, I can see HDR settings in the game but the TV says HDR is not active. Anyone else having this issue?

Edit: Seem to have fixed the issue. Had to turn game mode to auto, not always on.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Need help with soundbar setup with Q90t and PS5. I have the PS5 connected to the soundbar. From the soundbar, the HDMI cable goes into the game port (4). Sound works but HDR does not work as it says my TB isnt compatible (which isnt true). When I plug the PS5 directly to the HDMI 4 in the TV, HDR works perfectly fine.

If I connect my PS5 directly to my TV (game port) HDR obviously works, but when I connect from HDMI OUT from the sound bar an HDMI IN port on the TV (EARC) for example, no sound comes from the soundbar no matter what input I select.

Any ideas?

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Need help with soundbar setup with Q90t and PS5. I have the PS5 connected to the soundbar. From the soundbar, the HDMI cable goes into the game port (4). Sound works but HDR does not work as it says my TB isnt compatible (which isnt true). When I plug the PS5 directly to the HDMI 4 in the TV, HDR works perfectly fine.

If I connect my PS5 directly to my TV (game port) HDR obviously works, but when I connect from HDMI OUT from the sound bar an HDMI IN port on the TV (EARC) for example, no sound comes from the soundbar no matter what input I select.

Any ideas?
What do you ah e the sound settings in the PS5 set at? EARC still is t fixed on the Q90t and doesn't pass through correctly. Right now I have to have the PS5 outputting 5.1 Dolby Digital to my amp otherwise the tv compresses the audio to LPCM 2.0.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is intelligent mode actually useful for watching tv/movies or should i just find a set of settings I like and stick with them?

Last edited:

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
New firmware 1460 is out. Apparently nothing has changed.

Actually it has fixed the issue with HDR having washed out colors using the HDMI2.1 port on PS5 with 4K output set to auto that I and many others were experiencing!
See my previous post:

Best update ever! :P
Now seriously this is the second annoying bug with this TV after the local dimming one that was fixed in October.
The TV is great hardware wise but the firmware clearly needed more work.

Oct 27, 2017
Folks,

I just bought an AVR and I am not quite sure on how to/the best way to hook this up to my TV and PS5. I would be terribly grateful for someone willing to take the time to try and walk me through this :)

Here are the details.

The receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR646 which is a 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver
Product sheet
- https://www.onkyousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/TX-NR646_US.pdf
Manual - https://www.onkyousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/TX-NR646_En.pdf

Here's a shot of the back of the receiver.

fDU8bCy.jpg

The TV I am connecting it to is the Samsung Q90T QLED

Specs sheet
- https://image-us.samsung.com/SamsungUS/samsung/us/tvs/spec/Q90T_Spec_Sheet.pdf
Relevant Connections
4 HDMI Connections
• HDMI 2.1 Port 4
• eARC Port 3
• Optical Audio Output Port

What's confusing me and what I have questions with is:
  • Should the PS5 go to the receiver and then the receiver HDMI out go to the TV? or Should the PS5 go to the TV directly? I know the receiver is not EARC (just ARC) and that limits me to 4k/60 (which this AVR supports) and that's fine by me for now so long as HDR works.
  • If the PS5 should go to the receiver, I imagine plug the HDMI from the PS5 into HDMI 1 shown above? Then does the other HDMI cable from the HDMI OUT MAIN (ARC) listed above go to the ARC input into the TV? If so, then that mean the HDMI 2.1 game port on my TV would have nothing going to it...
  • When I connected the HDMI from the receiver (ARC) to the ARC 3 port on my TV, the TV auto recognized it as a "home theater unit" which I suppose is a good sign but the PS5 doesn't show up on the HDMI 3 (ARC) input. So something is clearly wrong
  • Lastly, in the PS5 audio settings I see 2 channel, 5.1 and 7.1. Since I only have a 3.1 setup with this receiver for now, should I just select the 5.1 setup on the PS5 for now?
I tried a few configurations but no sound. Also, in the PS5 audio settings I imagine I should choose the AV Amplifier option as the HDMI device type?

As mentioned above, I would be terribly grateful for someone willing to take the time to try and walk me through this :)

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Tripwire-Stone, you have two options:

1. PS5->AVR->TV
2. PR5->TV->AVR

The first one is the "classic" connection where AVR is passing through the video data.
Connect your PS5 to any of the HDMI inputs (the are all the same 2.0b here I think) and then connect the HDMI out main to any of the TV HDMI inputs - preferably NOT the ARC one though since you're not passing the audio through the TV in this case, you're passing video through the AVR.
That should be enough for everything to work - but only with HDMI 2.0b bandwidth and modes.

The second one is when you're using ARC to pass the audio through the TV to the AVR.
Connect you PS5 to your TV to any of the input ports - use HDMI 2.1 port 4 here preferably.
Then connect your TV's HDMI ARC port to your AVR's ARC port - which is HDMI out main in this case I think (even though that sounds a bit counter intuitive as it's actually labeled as "out").
Now you may need to setup your PS5 and TV audio properly for it to work since how and what can be transferred via ARC is dependent on both the source and the TV which passes the audio.

Lastly, in the PS5 audio settings I see 2 channel, 5.1 and 7.1. Since I only have a 3.1 setup with this receiver for now, should I just select the 5.1 setup on the PS5 for now?
Yeah, and setup downmixing on AVR, most of them allow to have more input channels than actual speakers connected. I'm outputting 7.1 to 2F+1C system for example.

Oct 27, 2017
Tripwire-Stone, you have two options:

1. PS5->AVR->TV
2. PR5->TV->AVR

The first one is the "classic" connection where AVR is passing through the video data.
Connect your PS5 to any of the HDMI inputs (the are all the same 2.0b here I think) and then connect the HDMI out main to any of the TV HDMI inputs - preferably NOT the ARC one though since you're not passing the audio through the TV in this case, you're passing video through the AVR.
That should be enough for everything to work - but only with HDMI 2.0b bandwidth and modes.

The second one is when you're using ARC to pass the audio through the TV to the AVR.
Connect you PS5 to your TV to any of the input ports - use HDMI 2.1 port 4 here preferably.
Then connect your TV's HDMI ARC port to your AVR's ARC port - which is HDMI out main in this case I think (even though that sounds a bit counter intuitive as it's actually labeled as "out").
Now you may need to setup your PS5 and TV audio properly for it to work since how and what can be transferred via ARC is dependent on both the source and the TV which passes the audio.

Yeah, and setup downmixing on AVR, most of them allow to have more input channels than actual speakers connected. I'm outputting 7.1 to 2F+1C system for example.
thankjs for the help! so..... I have my PS5 going to an HDMI in on receiver. And HDMI out from receiver to HDMI IN on my tv (PORT 4). I hear the sound but the TV is not autodetecting the PS5. It just sees it as home theater and there is no picture (just sound). If I try another HDMI out port from the receiver to the TV, I get white fuzz like the movie poltergeist (if you get that reference).

I think I'm close... but what am I missing?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
thankjs for the help! so..... I have my PS5 going to an HDMI in on receiver. And HDMI out from receiver to HDMI IN on my tv (PORT 4). I hear the sound but the TV is not autodetecting the PS5. It just sees it as home theater and there is no picture (just sound). If I try another HDMI out port from the receiver to the TV, I get white fuzz like the movie poltergeist (if you get that reference).

I think I'm close... but what am I missing?
If you have them try using different HDMI cables.
You could also try to adjust the video output on your PS5 to something lower like 1080p to see if that will come through.
Otherwise I dunno. Have you tried the other way around with PS5 going into TV and TV into AVR via ARC?

Oct 27, 2017
If you have them try using different HDMI cables.
You could also try to adjust the video output on your PS5 to something lower like 1080p to see if that will come through.
Otherwise I dunno. Have you tried the other way around with PS5 going into TV and TV into AVR via ARC?
Got it to work :) I had to enable CEC on the receiver.

last question I hope... I have. 3.1 setup yet the PS5 only allows choices of 2, 5.1 and 7.1. I selected 5.1 and DTS but games ignore the center speaker if I choose 5.1 and if I try to enable DTS on the receiver I don't notice any change either. I was told somewhere that it should downmixand use all 3 speakers and sub if I chose 5.1 but it's apparently not. Any thoughts?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I selected 5.1 and DTS but games ignore the center speaker if I choose 5.1 and if I try to enable DTS on the receiver I don't notice any change either. I was told somewhere that it should downmixand use all 3 speakers and sub if I chose 5.1 but it's apparently not. Any thoughts?
What happens if you use PCM? There's no point in using DTS really as HDMI can carry uncompressed PCM 7.1.
But generally speaking again if it doesn't downmix then you should look into your AVR settings.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I have a Samsung Q900t Soundbar connected to the Q90T , should I not be using audio passthrough if connecting to PS5 / Xbox?

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone here that owns a 75 or 85in version of this set? How is the local dimming on it while in game mode? I currently own a 75" Q9FN and the local dimming is terrible/ nonexistent in game mode so I've been playing games without using game mode on it sadly. I like everything else about the TV, but if the newer sets addressed that without making the input lag super high, then I'm thinking about upgrading.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I've been eyeing the q90T since it looks like it got kind of a significant price drop on Amazon. It doesn't seem like people are super happy with it though?