• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I noticed when I plug my computer into the monitor it has 60hz as the default. When I clicked on advanced display settings and "list all modes" I could manually set it to 120hz, which of course made everything much smoother. any reason why it didn't auto detect 120hz on its own?

Also, the only resolution that I couldn't select was the native 4k resolution at 120hz. Any idea as to why?
If you watch the video posted above you will see that only certain cables seem to be working at this time for the HDMI 2.1 formats such as 4K 120.

MasterOfNone

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, not gonna happen. Simply put: DV is made of two layers, HDR10 base (10bit) and DV magic (12bit) on top of it. A device that is only capable of HDR10 will revert to the HDR 10 base layer (10bit) on content that's only available in DV. Some streaming boxes/devices (for example Apple TV 4K) that only support DV in it's single layer format will "convert" the content to HDR10. There's always some data loss and "downgrading" happening this way, but all I have ever noticed is some gamma fluctuations.

I have an HDR10 only device (Sony XE90) and in the 3 years I've owned it there's never been a situation where a DV labeled content has not displayed as HDR.

Edit: HDR10+ and DV could (or most definitely will) enter into that kind of a battle in the future. But in any case you still won't end up totally fucked in Betamax style.

If I can be certain that content creators will always have at the minimum an HDR10 version available that would certainly drive me towards this set. I remember in the early days of netflix supporting DV some DV content simply showed as SDR on my XE90 but that may have changed along the way. I don't think I am videophile enough to care all that much between DV and HDR+ (for dynamic content in this case) so not having DV support would be bearable if content creators keep supporting both.

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
oh interesting. So by me forcing it, it works but the correct cable should automatically adjust, yes? Also, I haven't looked at the video yet but is there a link on which cables DO work?
I believe that he does link the correct cables. It still took some work getting everything to connect properly from the looks of it but the main thing is it did all work in the end and recognize 4K 120 VRR.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
oh interesting. So by me forcing it, it works but the correct cable should automatically adjust, yes? Also, I haven't looked at the video yet but is there a link on which cables DO work?

You need to turn on Input Signal Plus and Game Mode to get 4k120 VRR. My Q90t loses signal when I do this. I just ordered my third 2.1 HDMI cable and hoping for the best.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How does variable refresh rate work on the Q90T? What are the supported framerates?

Can you set your PC to 4k120hz, but play games at 60FPS without tearing (with the added benefits of input lag reduction)?

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
If it is not a problem, I would like to ask you a question regarding the Samsung q80t TV (I'm not able to find this TV OT). I hope someone can help me.

So, the thing is, which one of the 4 HDMI ports is the 2.1 one? It is not specified in the box nor in the user guide. My guess is the one port that has a controller icon next to it, but I just wanted to make sure since this is my first TV in nearly 10+ years (I've been using the same 32" 1080p tv al this time) and I'm a bit lost here.

Thank you very much.

PS1: picture for reference:

De-mon

Oct 27, 2017
If it is not a problem, I would like to ask you a question regarding the Samsung q80t TV (I'm not able to find this TV OT). I hope someone can help me.

So, the thing is, which one of the 4 HDMI ports is the 2.1 one? It is not specified in the box nor in the user guide. My guess is the one port that has a controller icon next to it, but I just wanted to make sure since this is my first TV in nearly 10+ years (I've been using the same 32" 1080p tv al this time) and I'm a bit lost here.

Thank you very much.

Yes, port 4. At least that's the one I use for consoles.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
If I can be certain that content creators will always have at the minimum an HDR10 version available that would certainly drive me towards this set. I remember in the early days of netflix supporting DV some DV content simply showed as SDR on my XE90 but that may have changed along the way. I don't think I am videophile enough to care all that much between DV and HDR+ (for dynamic content in this case) so not having DV support would be bearable if content creators keep supporting both.

Well there's no promise, but I'd say HDR10 is going to be relevant far longer than this particular TV model will last.

Thank you very much.

Yes you're correct, it's the HDMI 4 port.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
When Samsung do release their new models in general? at the start of the year, middle of the year or end of the year or twice? When are the next models planned to be released?

SowingShade

Jun 26, 2018
Texas
Q80T owners, of which there seem to be a few in this thread, I'm about to pull the trigger on the 55-inch model. I think can live without Dolby Vision, and want to avoid burn-in. It seems this TV checks the rest of the HDMI 2.1 boxes, more or less. Is this the way, or is there something I should know? Will I rue the day I went in a DV-less direction?

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
2 different questions.

1. How can I take full advantage of the HDMI 2.1 port for the PS5(soon!), yet still get the full surround sound features of it as well? Since the ARC port seems to not do passthrough properly. Even a full HDMI 2.1 AVR wouldn't work, because the ARC port on the TV isn't HDMI 2.1.

2. Finally, is there a way to have the TV always power on the AVR with it, no matter if it detects a signal from the AVR or not? Right now, my PS4 is plugged into the AVR, and the AVR is plugged into the TV using ARC. If the PS4 is not on and I turn the TV on, it does not turn on the AVR and just says there is no source.
If the TV was last set to Live TV, it WILL turn on the AVR automatically. it's weird. ARC and CEC are turned on.

Oct 27, 2017
Q80T owners, of which there seem to be a few in this thread, I'm about to pull the trigger on the 55-inch model. I think can live without Dolby Vision, and want to avoid burn-in. It seems this TV checks the rest of the HDMI 2.1 boxes, more or less. Is this the way, or is there something I should know? Will I rue the day I went in a DV-less direction?
PERSONALLY I'm not worried about it. Netflix etc all support hdr10

Oct 27, 2017

Thank you very much.

Port 4

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I got the Q80T a few days ago, and while I love it for watching movies, I'm having trouble with the game mode. Having my PC connected as a source and turning on Game mode in SDR colors look severely washed out. I did a comparison with my desktop pic and while playing Hades, same results. This makes FreeSync unusable for me. From what I've found online, this issue seems to be known.

Anyone have any tips on how to mitigate this?

Edit: It turns out turning on game mode had my Windows turn HDR on automatically even for SDR content. That was the issue.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I got the Q80T a few days ago, and while I love it for watching movies, I'm having trouble with the game mode. Having my PC connected as a source and turning on Game mode in SDR colors look severely washed out. I did a comparison with my desktop pic and while playing Hades, same results. This makes FreeSync unusable for me. From what I've found online, this issue seems to be known.

Anyone have any tips on how to mitigate this?

Edit: It turns out turning on game mode had my Windows turn HDR on automatically even for SDR content. That was the issue.
Yep I ran into the same issue. Problem I have is I can be in game mode on PS4 (even on auto) but it doesn't turn off game mode when switching to Hulu or Netflix. Have to manually adjust. Bit annoying

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Only thing still bugging me is some stutter because of the Q80T 120hz refresh rate when watching low framerate content like YT videos or movies.

Shouldnt there be a motion interpolation option somewhere? Is it under the Game mode options? Because those are, well, only available in Game mode apparently. Or picture quality settings? Those are greyed out on my PC as the source where I'm watching videos outside of YT (Giantbomb) and I also only have Standard and Dynamic picture options on PC, no movie mode etc.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I ordered this , the only negatives I can see are one hdmi 2.1 port and the lack of dv which I don't really care about in the first place. The LG cx seemed to dim to me, especially since I play in a well lit room even at night.

Are stock settings good or do I need to figure out how to calibrate it, this is my first high end tv/monitor purchase.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I ordered this , the only negatives I can see are one hdmi 2.1 port and the lack of dv which I don't really care about in the first place. The LG cx seemed to dim to me, especially since I play in a well lit room even at night.

Are stock settings good or do I need to figure out how to calibrate it, this is my first high end tv/monitor purchase.
I have Q80T and the default setting are pretty good. There are some handy tutorial about calibrate HDR and SDR already posted in the thread!

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the rtings settings but I've seen they're hit and miss for people as well. I haven't seen any tutorials, i tried searching again , could you point them out?
Sorry maybe I saw those on reddit or something. I'm not an expert by any means but this videos were my starting point (beside that rting settings)

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Looks like the NA site has a new firmware update 1403.1. Not sure what it does if anything meaningful.

Edit: Doesn't seem to do anything noticeable that I have found so far. eARC is still not passing through properly to my amp when hooking up PS4 to input 4. Don't see any picture changes in any mode so far.

Last edited:

Joo

May 25, 2018
Looks like the NA site has a new firmware update 1403.1. Not sure what it does if anything meaningful.

Edit: Doesn't seem to do anything noticeable that I have found so far. eARC is still not passing through properly to my amp when hooking up PS4 to input 4. Don't see any picture changes in any mode so far.
Thanks for the impressions. Strangely, on avsforums someone has quite a different opinion about the update:
Picture is dramatically improved back to where it almost looks OLED outside of game mode. Seems the dimming algorithm has been tweaked for the best. Pleasantly surprised so far

With GMP off in game mode the picture looks much clearer and more vibrant almost like it was interlaced before and now it's progressive scan ( poor analogy but all I can think of) picture looks solid and deep where before it looked softer. Not sure what was tweaked but now game mode looks amazing, very happy as I have ps5 and series x coming next week. FYI GMP is on after the update default, I never use it and it was on after the reboot so make sure to turn it off

On a side note my ps4pro the whites looked slightly reddish brown when setting warm 2 color setting on game mode before this update, now they are pure white almost looks like the neutral setting, I had to make sure it was still on warm2 that's how much better it looks now.

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Nice. If you have the time, let me know what you think once you've checked.
Just did some quick looks using Ghost of Tsushima and I find that I am now getting the scrolling scan lines in game mode in some scenes when not using GMP. With GMP on and set to zero for blur and judder there are no scrolling lines. Local dimming seems to have possibly gotten a bit of an upgrade from before but this could also be placebo.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Just did some quick looks using Ghost of Tsushima and I find that I am now getting the scrolling scan lines in game mode in some scenes when not using GMP. With GMP on and set to zero for blur and judder there are no scrolling lines. Local dimming seems to have possibly gotten a bit of an upgrade from before but this could also be placebo.
Okay thanks. How noticeable are the scan lines? Kinda hard to imagine what it looks like. I'm pretty much set on getting a Q90T but would just like to know.

OP
OP
manustany

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Here's my experience after 2 days with an Xbox Series X/Q90T 55' with update 1403 installed.

• 4K/120p works flawlessly.
  • VRR unfortunately turns picture quality into a greyish-mess (any advice?).
  • If you connect a console into the HDMI 4 port for the first time, make sure to turn-on HGIG in the TV settings.
  • Is that normal to see the Xbox dashboard very dark while playing an HDR game? (yes, I calibrated the console with the dedicated app).
  • Playing 'Ori and the Will of the Wisps' I noticed an insane level of color banding, especially during cutscenes.

Last edited:

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Is it just me or does setting local dimming to high make the blacks/shadows lose a lot of detail?

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA

I hope audio passthrough gets fixed. It's a huge issue for people with AVRs. Without it working, you either plug in your console and get the HDMI 2.1 benefits, but only stereo sound, or you go through the AVR for surround sound, but no HDMI 2.1
It sucks.
I even tried using Sharc for eARC but it made no difference.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody have a PS5 and has tested 4K/120? When in Dirt/DMC, my blacks get crushed instantly when going into 4K/120 mode. It's perfect without 4K/120.

This is after the latest update.

Oct 27, 2017
Unrelated question.

Is there a way to watch video at 1.1x or 1.2x using just these TVs?

I am used to watching stuff on PC, with VLC, which has super easy speed-up with an automatic pitch correction. Absolutely perfect for those movies where directors has a bit too much freedom with the pacing :(

Oct 27, 2017
First, my setup. My PS5 is connected via HDMI into the labeled hdmi port 4 for gaming consoles (2.1 support). Next, I have an optical cable going from my tv to my Logitech z-5500 system. Ive had these speakers forever and I had the same exact connection flow with my PS4 and TLC tv without any audio delay issue.

so, the issue is... when I'm watch Hulu, YouTube etc the dialogue is out of sync with mouth movement. If I plug my headphones into the PS5, the issue goes away and everything is in sync.

the output device within the PS5 only gives me one option (hdmi device TV) . The other audio options are bitstream Dolby and dts. When I choose those, my Logitech picks the signal up and shows optical audio and I'm in 5.1 mode, but the out of sync occurs with each of those settings. If I switch the audio setting on the PS5 to linear PCM the Logitech goes into stereo mode and there's no out of sync occurring.

Any thoughts?