• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm scared that someone insane deal is going to show up these and make question getting an OLED lol

MasterOfNone

Oct 27, 2017
I would advise everyone to be careful about buying a TV without Dolby Vision support, could be a Betamax vs VHS situation

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
How big of a deal is the absence of Dolby Vision support? I've heard perspectives on both sides.

I guess the question is, how big of a difference is HDR10 vs DV? Because from what I understand, any DV content just reverts to HDR10 on the Samsung. There's also HDR10+ if studios start supporting that more.

MasterOfNone

Oct 27, 2017
Oh does DV content revert to HDR10? I honestly thought it just went SDR, that changes my recommendation then.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
DV may look better depending on the ompized content and scene, but not every content does support it (I know Netflix has a lot of it), but HDR10 is fine from what I gather out of youtube videos, the difference is mostly minimal and only a few examples show REAL better results.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
Went with the LG CX over this TV, but this TV did look awesome in the store. A coworker of mine also has it and loves it.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Oh does DV content revert to HDR10? I honestly thought it just went SDR, that changes my recommendation then.

Well, at least when it comes to discs, it has to have HDR10. Not sure about streaming.

I've heard some people say you wouldn't notice the difference unless you had them side by side, but others say DV's dynamic HDR is leagues better than HDR10. But then there's also HDR10+ which is just as comparable to DV. So who knows what kind of traction that will gain.

Branaghs

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone. I recently bought the q80t and I think I like it but I am not smart enough to calibrate the TV and make sure the settings are correct for Games and Movies. Does anyone have any tutorials or good youtube channels they can share? Also I wish I could remove all of the crap on the home screen such as live tv and the like. My only real issue with the TV at this point.

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I think this guy is fixing the same issue, and he got it to work. From 4:35. Might also be a bunch of nothing and not related to your issue.
Thanks for the link. I have done everything that he mentions in the video but still no LPCM 7.1. I think I will try changing the cable for the PS4 to an 8k cable and see if it makes a difference since ARC can be a little flaky about types of cables.

MasterOfNone

Oct 27, 2017
Well, at least when it comes to discs, it has to have HDR10. Not sure about streaming.

I've heard some people say you wouldn't notice the difference unless you had them side by side, but others say DV's dynamic HDR is leagues better than HDR10. But then there's also HDR10+ which is just as comparable to DV. So who knows what kind of traction that will gain.

Understandable, my worry isn't so much with the quality of the end product but in the ability to have the content display in HDR. If there isn't some sort of auto-conversion involved and Dolby Vision gains ground it would be a shame in 2 years to miss on much of the HDR content.

But if the set is automatically able to fall back on HDR10 then it's a non issue. I know that everything that is DV only on Netflix is SDR on my Sony TV which is HDR10 only.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Understandable, my worry isn't so much with the quality of the end product but in the ability to have the content display in HDR. If there isn't some sort of auto-conversion involved and Dolby Vision gains ground it would be a shame in 2 years to miss on much of the HDR content.

But if the set is automatically able to fall back on HDR10 then it's a non issue. I know that everything that is DV only on Netflix is SDR on my Sony TV which is HDR10 only.
Weird. Even my cheapo Samsung MU6000 is showing that stuff in HDR.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Big question: will Ampere be HDMI 2.1 VRR compatibile with this display?
Is there ant possibility it won't?
What worries me is Nvidia never mentioned anything about this matter.
Will it lock VRR behind GSync?
It's a question to Samsung.
Does this TV support HDMI VRR? If yes then it will work with Ampere.
HDMI Freesync is not HDMI VRR and it will never work with anything but AMD GPUs.

De-mon

Oct 27, 2017
Good. But I will very much hesitate to buy a Samsung product again. Good hardware, poor communication.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I have a KS8000 and I'm wondering how much of an upgrade this would be. OLEDs scare me with the burn in so I'd prefer traditional LED, but I'm still pretty happy with my current set. I am getting a Series X so the 4K/120Hz/freesync would be nice but Samsung is still being stubborn about their own HDR solution and not using Dolby Vision, right?

OP
OP
manustany

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
I have a KS8000 and I'm wondering how much of an upgrade this would be. OLEDs scare me with the burn in so I'd prefer traditional LED, but I'm still pretty happy with my current set. I am getting a Series X so the 4K/120Hz/freesync would be nice but Samsung is still being stubborn about their own HDR solution and not using Dolby Vision, right?
I'm coming from a KS7000 as well and the jump to a Q90T is noticeable. It doesn't have perfect blacks like an OLED panel, but I'm REALLY satisfied for what I get with this TV. And yeah, it doesn't support Dolby Vision, but I need to wear sunglasses when I watch HDR/HDR10 contents :D

I think you should wait until December and see if the console has some issues on this TV.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I'm coming from a KS7000 as well and the jump to a Q90T is noticeable. It doesn't have perfect blacks like an OLED panel, but I'm REALLY satisfied for what I get with this TV. And yeah, it doesn't support Dolby Vision, but I need to wear sunglasses when I watch HDR/HDR10 contents :D

I think you should wait until December and see if the console has some issues on this TV.
Probably not a bad idea. I'm in no rush to get a new TV at the moment anyways. Thanks for the info

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I upgraded from a KS8000 and am happy with my purchase. My only complaints are that I can notice the dimming zones when watching pure white or grey backgrounds like those in the PS5 teardown and the eARC is not passing through as it should right now but expect that to be fixed in a patch. The TV is very bright in HDR content and blacks are awesome for a non-OLED panel.

OP
OP
manustany

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
where do you download the firmware update? i'm told it has to be downloaded via USB? Why can't it download straight from the TV itself?
New updates are usually uploaded first on Samsung's support website. Just visit the one of your country on PC, then download and move the file into a USB stick.
Turn on the TV and then check for updates, it will check your USB drive and ask if you want to install the update.

Oct 27, 2017
New updates are usually uploaded first on Samsung's support website. Just visit the one of your country on PC, then download and move the file into a USB stick.
Turn on the TV and then check for updates, it will check your USB drive and ask if you want to install the update.
I downloaded the firmware but its saying I have the latestupdate on my TV. It must have the dimming fix then I imagine? The firmware is 1402.1 on the website but the tv says 1402 (no .1)

gVZxLw4.jpg

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone. I recently bought the q80t and I think I like it but I am not smart enough to calibrate the TV and make sure the settings are correct for Games and Movies. Does anyone have any tutorials or good youtube channels they can share? Also I wish I could remove all of the crap on the home screen such as live tv and the like. My only real issue with the TV at this point.
I have the same model and I used this as general guideline

www.rtings.com

Samsung Q80/Q80T QLED Calibration Settings

We used the following calibration settings to review the Samsung 55" Q80T (QN55Q80T), and we expect them to be valid for the 49" model (QN49Q80T), 65" model (QN65Q80T), 75" model (QN75Q80T), and the 85" model (QN85Q80T).

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Does the eArc port on the q90t send the full 5.1 audio from consoles hooked up to to the TV into a receiver, even if my receiver is a 2016 denon without specific eArc support?

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Just ordered the 55" for use as a PC monitor! Should be a nice upgrade from my JU7100 even though I still love the picture on that.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't have this TV, but I ordered it. So, there's really a supposed "bug" that eARC only outputs stereo, even with a 5.1 source? That's a pretty huge problem.

My AVR is only HDMI 2.0, so I planned on buying the Sharc for eARC. Even with that though, if the TV doesn't even do eARC correctly, I'm still screwed.
How do we know this is just a temporary bug that will get fixed?

I want this to be my PS5 TV, but giving up 5.1 audio is a deal breaker.

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I don't have this TV, but I ordered it. So, there's really a supposed "bug" that eARC only outputs stereo, even with a 5.1 source? That's a pretty huge problem.

My AVR is only HDMI 2.0, so I planned on buying the Sharc for eARC. Even with that though, if the TV doesn't even do eARC correctly, I'm still screwed.
How do we know this is just a temporary bug that will get fixed?

I want this to be my PS5 TV, but giving up 5.1 audio is a deal breaker.
Apparently they are aware of the issue and are working on the fix in an up coming update. They fixed the dimming bug so hopefully this is true as well.

Oct 27, 2017
This set is GORGEOUS :)

quick question though... I watch Hulu through my PS4. As such, even on automatic mode) when I go to watch a Hulu show, it retains the 'game mode' and the characters in the show move oddly as if they are stuttering. I imagine it has something to do with the judder settings that are in game mode. To fix this I have to turn game mode off but that can get tiring having to do this all the time.

Any ideas?

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Another question about audio. Considering that passthrough is bugged and only outputs stereo, is there a workaround to send 5.1 audio through ARC still? Another option aside from passthrough that would work with PS4 and Switch?
Also, do we know if PS5 will support standard surround sound codecs? (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc)

Last edited:

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Having an issue with the q90t... I have my PS4 connected to my tv via HDMI and from the tv to my Logitech 5.1 system I run optical. In games, my receiver registers as digital optical but I'm only getting sound out of 2 speakers. I didn't have this issue with my prior TCL set.

P.S. I'm also connected to HDMI port 4 (the 2.1 port)

Any suggestions?

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
So I finally got around to setting up my PC to use with my Q90T and it just doesn't work. I watched some 4K HDR content last night and it was absolutely gorgeous so I'll be pretty upset if I have to return this.

Turning on Input Signal Plus or Game Mode just causes a black screen on the HDMI 2.1 port. The max settings I can choose is 4k60 @ 4:2:0 chroma, 8 bit which is actually worse than my 5 year old Samsung. I have a 48 Gbps cable. I feel like I've tried everything. I don't even get options for VRR in the Windows or Nvidia settings. Has anyone actually got HDMI 2.1 with a 3080 working on this thing?

Roundhouse

Sep 24, 2020
San Francisco
So I finally got around to setting up my PC to use with my Q90T and it just doesn't work. I watched some 4K HDR content last night and it was absolutely gorgeous so I'll be pretty upset if I have to return this.

Turning on Input Signal Plus or Game Mode just causes a black screen on the HDMI 2.1 port. The max settings I can choose is 4k60 @ 4:2:0 chroma, 8 bit which is actually worse than my 5 year old Samsung. I have a 48 Gbps cable. I feel like I've tried everything. I don't even get options for VRR in the Windows or Nvidia settings. Has anyone actually got HDMI 2.1 with a 3080 working on this thing?

The HDMI 2.1 port works for me. I haven't been able to get a 3 series card yet but it's connected to a 1080ti. I have it set @ 4k60 and chroma 444. I'm using the basic 48gb cable from monoprice. Input signal plus and game mode work fine as well as hdr which I've tested in HZD and Doom Eternal. However, like you, I haven't been able to get VRR working. The "Set up GSYNC" options don't even show up in my NVCP.

I'm actuall going to buy the lg cx this week and compare the 2 to see which I prefer.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I just found out that the Q70 exists and it seems to be a good middle ground between the basic TVs that are 4K but have very poor HDR and the OLED TVs that are awesome but cost a lot more. The Q70 supports 4k@60 and 1440@120 / 1080@120, with VRR, making it basically a ready for next gen TV (as I dont expect 4k@120 games). There is local dimming, the HDR seems to be quite bright (almost 800 nit) and there is very low input lag. I am definitely considering getting one in the future in case I dont have the money for an OLED.

Hey, I bought a new monitor recently and everything felt off (colors, contrast, etc), so I used this website to help me calibrate it. Since this TV is also a LCD LED I believe the steps should work just fine as well. The end result in my monitor is noticeably better and I plan on doing the same on my TV.

Lagom.nl homepage

or direct link:
LCD monitor calibration and testing

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed when I plug my computer into the monitor it has 60hz as the default. When I clicked on advanced display settings and "list all modes" I could manually set it to 120hz, which of course made everything much smoother. any reason why it didn't auto detect 120hz on its own?

Also, the only resolution that I couldn't select was the native 4k resolution at 120hz. Any idea as to why?

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
I would advise everyone to be careful about buying a TV without Dolby Vision support, could be a Betamax vs VHS situation

Nah, not gonna happen. Simply put: DV is made of two layers, HDR10 base (10bit) and DV magic (12bit) on top of it. A device that is only capable of HDR10 will revert to the HDR 10 base layer (10bit) on content that's only available in DV. Some streaming boxes/devices (for example Apple TV 4K) that only support DV in it's single layer format will "convert" the content to HDR10. There's always some data loss and "downgrading" happening this way, but all I have ever noticed is some gamma fluctuations.

I have an HDR10 only device (Sony XE90) and in the 3 years I've owned it there's never been a situation where a DV labeled content has not displayed as HDR.

Edit: HDR10+ and DV could (or most definitely will) enter into that kind of a battle in the future. But in any case you still won't end up totally fucked in Betamax style.

Last edited: