• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
GSR Is this related here? https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5...800t-q900t-hdr-game-mode/td-p/1731476/page/39

There seems to be a workaround with GMP and local dimming set to low. Let us know if it works.

Thanks for the link, but this isn't quite what I'm hitting - I'm not getting a degradation in picture quality after X minutes, the game mode quality just isn't quite up to snuff.

I've been playing around more and I think the Dynamic preset does the best overall balance I've found so far - it seems to err on the side of maintaining bright objects, so when global dimming kicks in it's not as harsh on mostly black screens, but it still does a good job maintaining black depth in complex pictures. You can still find patterns that will really mess with it - again, the opening text roll of Hollow Knight will have the local/global dimming going nuts - but in real use, I find it works pretty darn well, especially in a lit room. I booted up RE7 and ran around and even when I was sitting in very low light I was getting what I'd call "imperceptible" black depth (i.e. I can't see where the black ends and the TV border starts.)

I'm sure the input lag is there, but I can still wavedash in Celeste, so it doesn't seem that awful, lol.

I'd also add again that I have the Q80T, so if you go for the Q90T you'll have better local dimming than I do. I suspect the local dimming on the Q80T is tuned towards movies, where there's a "known" black space above and below the picture, whereas the Q90T seems to have more zones.

That said, ultimately this is still an LCD and not an OLED. If you really want pure black depth, you are gonna have to splurge for OLED - you can definitely see the difference loading up one of those "OLED HDR test footage" videos on YouTube. But for general purpose gaming my opinion on it has improved somewhat.

De-mon

Oct 27, 2017
I got the Q95T/55" three weeks ago. First two weeks were amazing, no ghosting or anything as I was on firmware 1302 (Europe) which had the fix for "inverse ghosting".

For the past week I've begun to notice purple banding/ghosting and once I see it, I cant unsee it. Playing Tsushima and every building has a bit of a blueish outline is driving me nuts. The strange thing is that I had no firmware updates, yet this problem showed up...or did I just never notice it?!? The problem has not disappeared with 1304 firmware.

What I didnt know and what is really annoying is that in Game Mode with HDR, roughly after six minutes, the screen dims/brightness goes down by about 20 and the only way to get it back to normal is to turn off Game Mode and turn it back on again. its not about any automated setting, it just happens.

I love Samsung tv's and this model is spectacular outside of these problems that are seemingly specific to Game Mode.

There is a very long thread over at Samsung about the issues here and here

The firmware with a fix is coming in two weeks it seems.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Does the "55 have VRR? Seen it quite a lot recently where the lowest size of a samsung range has a lot of *qualifiers *in *the *small *print *"this size doesn't have all the cool stuff you bought this tv for"
AFAIK, the 49" Samsung QLED models do not have Freesync and 120Hz mode.

I know, because I got one. No space for 55".

Regret Truth

Oct 28, 2017
I love my Q90r 75" It seems like the biggest thing I'm missing out is HDMI 2.1. Would I be insane to consider upgrading? I've only had it for 12 months.

OP
OP
manustany

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
This is good to hear. Any word on what it will contain? I assume the dimming in hdr is one of the items.

This is what I found on the official Samsung forums:

"Update is coming on SEP 14th which FIXES the major game-mode dimming bug.

Few days back i have made a complaint about this to samsung customer service.
Technician visited 3 times and taken some debugging data on USB drive from service menu.
Then i have Spoken to the Samsung UAE higher levels to inform that this complaint should never close until there is a permanent fix.

Also i have sent 3 separate emails with more attachments with rainbow tinting in game-mode, LPCM7.1 eARC passthrough issue, and this samsung community EU,US thread links related to the game-mode dimming bug. Everything passed to the overseas factory department which is personaly confirmed by samsung technical team manager to me few days back on a phone call.

Today morning i received a call from samsung technical team informed me that they received information from overseas developers in factory there is a new update which is going to roll-out on SEP 14th especially for game-mode dimming bug. If i don't receive on that date they said they will provide manual update for me.

So guys we'll wait and see..."

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still so torn on what TV to get before next-gen hits. I reviewed the CX and I just found it too reflective for my incredibly bright living room, but the issues of the Q95T are scaring me away :(

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
Big question: will Ampere be HDMI 2.1 VRR compatibile with this display?
Is there ant possibility it won't?
What worries me is Nvidia never mentioned anything about this matter.
Will it lock VRR behind GSync?

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
This is what I found on the official Samsung forums:

"Update is coming on SEP 14th which FIXES the major game-mode dimming bug.

Few days back i have made a complaint about this to samsung customer service.
Technician visited 3 times and taken some debugging data on USB drive from service menu.
Then i have Spoken to the Samsung UAE higher levels to inform that this complaint should never close until there is a permanent fix.

Also i have sent 3 separate emails with more attachments with rainbow tinting in game-mode, LPCM7.1 eARC passthrough issue, and this samsung community EU,US thread links related to the game-mode dimming bug. Everything passed to the overseas factory department which is personaly confirmed by samsung technical team manager to me few days back on a phone call.

That's great news. I had also had issues with LPCM7.1 not passing through with eARC so I'm glad that they are aware of this as well.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Tangential question: Are there any HDMI 2.1 switches out there, since this only has the one port? Or will I need a whole new receiver?

shancake

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So the dimming issue on the Q95T isn't fixed? Can someone please explain it?

I'm about to purchase a TV to review the PS5/XSX, and the LG is too reflective for my bright room, but issues in this thread are scaring me away from the Q95T.

De-mon

Oct 27, 2017
So the dimming issue on the Q95T isn't fixed? Can someone please explain it?

I'm about to purchase a TV to review the PS5/XSX, and the LG is too reflective for my bright room, but issues in this thread are scaring me away from the Q95T.

Not fixed yet, Samsung has not made any official comment on a date for the fix. You can read more here https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5...t-q90t-q800t-q900t-hdr-game-mode/td-p/1731476

The TV is good if they fix the problem... but who knows when the update will be released

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
It's crazy to me that Samsung keeps tricking people into buying their QLEDS. There is almost no reason to pass up on an OLED, which is going to look much better than this TV for the majority of people, outside of very niche room lighting setups.

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to me that Samsung keeps tricking people into buying their QLEDS. There is almost no reason to pass up on an OLED, which is going to look much better than this TV for the majority of people, outside of very niche room lighting setups.

Main thing would be price right? Though seeing how an LG C9 is maybe even cheaper then this maybe isn't such a good deal.

Ugh my head is filled with VRR TVs but I'm gonna have to wait a few months for something to fit in the £500-£800 range aren't I?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

The reasons would be price, brightness going down over time, and burn-in.

Brightness is only an issue if you plan to have the tv for a long time, but burn-in could be an issue in a few years if you have something with a persistant hud element being played for a significant amount of time. We only just had a thread where 20% of OLED owners who posted said they'd had burn-in.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium

I have an OLED in my living room but I just bought a Q90T for my game room. I've tormented myself for weeks deciding between this and OLED and finally decided I'm too scared for gaming burn in.
I know LG made alot of progress lowering the risk as much as possible, but in the end I won't take the risk of losing 1400 euro on a tv when burn in manifest after 3-4 years.

Just thinking doing a playthrough of Zelda with the red static hearts makes me feel unease.

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
The reasons would be price, brightness going down over time, and burn-in.

Brightness is only an issue if you plan to have the tv for a long time, but burn-in could be an issue in a few years if you have something with a persistant hud element being played for a significant amount of time. We only just had a thread where 20% of OLED owners who posted said they'd had burn-in.

I'll see if I can find a source, but the stats looking at the more modern LG OLEDS show that you need to put a ridiculous amount of time in to get meaningful burn in. For the older OLEDs it was definitely an issue, but unless you are leaving the game paused for days at a time, it's just not going to be a problem on more modern sets.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'll see if I can find a source, but the stats looking at the more modern LG OLEDS show that you need to put a ridiculous amount of time in to get meaningful burn in. For the older OLEDs it was definitely an issue, but unless you are leaving the game paused for days at a time, it's just not going to be a problem on more modern sets.

This is the thread I was referencing where 20% of owners had burn in:

www.resetera.com

Does Your OLED Have Burn In?

I’ve seen a recent spike in people getting OLEDs (probably for next gen gaming) and with that people throwing around that burn in is a major problem for OLED. So I just wanted to ask and make a poll of OLED owners to get their experience on the matter. For me personally, I’ve had my LG B8 55...

There are people who posted with 2-4 year old sets with burn in.

Not you

Oct 27, 2017

It's crazy to me that you'd enter this thread to shitpost. OLEDs have perfect blacks. Bright scenes looks better on a QLED. There's no chance of burn in or image retention on QLEDs. OLEDs are expensive which makes the burn in risk higher.

OLED owners imply that OLEDs look better all the time, every scene, all content, and that's just not the case. QLEDs look better plenty, and there's also many times where the pictures are indistinguishable. Get over yourself.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia

It's funny because Samsung are (were?) set on releasing their own OLED TVs too. That's got to be awkward after years of anti-OLED campaigning lol.

I do love their QLED panels though, but only in monitors. The G9 was amazing.

Oct 7, 2018
USA
With a wife who doesn't really pay attention and 2 younger kids who definitely don't pay attention I prefer the worry free viewing of the Samsung.

My TV is often on for multiple hours per day on various children's channels with logos in the corners. I also watch a ton of live sports so there is frequently a scrolling score update on the bottom of the screen for hours at a time.

I realize that it's a fairly low percentage of people who end up having any major issues but the potential remains so it's always on my mind for something that cost me so much money.

While I do agree that the OLED looks better in dark scenes you don't really see that much difference unless the room you are in is also fairly dark which mine is not. I have a good idea of the comparison because I owned a B series OLED from 2018 until it got accidentally broken and was rocking a TCL led until a month ago when I got the 75" Q90T.

To be honest I actually prefer the much brighter picture of the QLED for sports which is a huge chunk of my viewing time,much more than movie watching so it definitely is a better fit for my situation.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
With a wife who doesn't really pay attention and 2 younger kids who definitely don't pay attention I prefer the worry free viewing of the Samsung.

My TV is often on for multiple hours per day on various children's channels with logos in the corners. I also watch a ton of live sports so there is frequently a scrolling score update on the bottom of the screen for hours at a time.

I realize that it's a fairly low percentage of people who end up having any major issues but the potential remains so it's always on my mind for something that cost me so much money.

While I do agree that the OLED looks better in dark scenes you don't really see that much difference unless the room you are in is also fairly dark which mine is not. I have a good idea of the comparison because I owned a B series OLED from 2018 until it got accidentally broken and was rocking a TCL led until a month ago when I got the 75" Q90T.

To be honest I actually prefer the much brighter picture of the QLED for sports which is a huge chunk of my viewing time,much more than movie watching so it definitely is a better fit for my situation.

Thanks for sharing. I too don't think the difference is as significant as some people claim, from the store demos etc I have seen. Plus for my home setup OLED does not seem wise.

Now just gotta convince the family of getting a new tv 😂 €1200 for 55" Q95T is a great deal

Joo

May 25, 2018
There's just no need to try and make the situation look like OLEDs would be miles better in every single situation to most people. OLEDs are great, but there's many instances where QLED is better like with bright viewing environments and HDR content. Q90T also has much better reflection handling than any OLED. You also don't need to babysit the tv. Preference matters a lot.

While the burn-in risk of OLEDs isn't as big as some people make it seem, it's absolutely still there. If a certain person or a household has a viewing habits of leaving the TV on or watching/playing the same content with static images all the time, it's just a matter of time until image retention happens. These kind of folks people are quite common, and OLED just isn't a good choice for them.

This whole "OLED is better in every" might've been true a couple years ago, but QLEDs have come a long way. I'm absolutely sure that for most people the black levels of a high-end QLED are more than good enough, and they wouldn't even be able to tell the difference unless viewed side-by-side.

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017

I just had my B7 panel replaced this week due to a defect but I also had burn-in from the chirons on news channels I watch. With that said, until Samsung gets Dolby Vision they'll continue to be a non-starter to me so I'm going with the LG 99series 8k and giving my 55 OLED to my son for his dorm. I absolutely love OLED but clearly I watch "too much" static content for it to be a daily TV for me.

shancake

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So the Game Mode dimming issue is fixed? It's safe to buy now? Xbox Series X preview/review unit arriving next week, so I've been waiting to pick one up.

Alexander89

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Q90T in 75 inches for 2200 euro sounds like a steal.. will wait a month or two though before buying it instead of Q95T (its 1300 euro more where I live uh) or CX. If CX in 77 was the same price, I would buy that one.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you want a PC monitor an OLED is a terrible option.

My 'dream' TV is the 48" LG CX.

Unfortunately static images will 100% cause burn in.

The next best TVs for 4k120 are the Q90T or Sony XH900.

Sadly Samsung panels have clouding, the Sony panels have too few dimming zones and hence blooming.

There is no 'ideal' TV for 2020 :[

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom

This was one of my concerns as I've recently been thinking about upgrading from a KS7000 to an LG CX, but with a family watching childrens channels the Nickelodeon logos make me too uneasy.

Joo

May 25, 2018
So the Game Mode dimming issue is fixed? It's safe to buy now? Xbox Series X preview/review unit arriving next week, so I've been waiting to pick one up.
I don't have the tv myself, but several people are reporting in Samsung community forums that the new update fixes the repeated dimming in game mode, but I think as of now it's only out in US and Korea.

Milkypooz

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on whether the new firmware fixes the eARC pass through issue?

Edit: It does not.

eARC can be finicky. I'm not sure what problem you're experiencing but on my model ( Q9FN ) i had a issue with eARC where 1 device in the one connect box was causing all the issues.

The TV performed as expected at first with my Denon receiver but after i purchased and plugged in a Minix Neo U9-h that's when the eARC issue arose. Basically using the inbuilt apps (Disney+ / Netflix/ Prime) i couldn't get the audio to come out of the receiver. I initially thought it was firmware issues with the TV or receiver but no tweaking could resolve it and It wasn't until i unplugged the minx, as this was the only change i did to my setup, it went back to normal and everything worked again

This might not be your issue, but hopefully this provides someone with some useful insight.

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
eARC can be finicky. I'm not sure what problem you're experiencing but on my model ( Q9FN ) i had a issue with eARC where 1 device in the one connect box was causing all the issues.

The TV performed as expected at first with my Denon receiver but after i purchased and plugged in a Minix Neo U9-h that's when the eARC issue arose. Basically using the inbuilt apps (Disney+ / Netflix/ Prime) i couldn't get the audio to come out of the receiver. I initially thought it was firmware issues with the TV or receiver but no tweaking could resolve it and It wasn't until i unplugged the minx, as this was the only change i did to my setup, it went back to normal and everything worked again

This might not be your issue, but hopefully this provides someone with some useful insight.
Yeah, the issue that I am having is that it will not pass through LPCM 7.1 from my PS4 through to my Sony receiver, it drops it down to two channel LPCM basically behaving as if I was using it as ARC instead of eARC which should allow it to pass through. Even if I set it to auto it drops to two channels. The internal apps are passing through atmos so it has something to do with devices plugged into the tv and the eARC pass through.

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I don't have the tv myself, but several people are reporting in Samsung community forums that the new update fixes the repeated dimming in game mode, but I think as of now it's only out in US and Korea.
I can report that the dimming bug is gone on my set in both game mode and filmmaker mode. I was getting dimming in hdr while watching movies and it is no longer happening.

They also added HGIG in game mode which looks great as well.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Yeah, the issue that I am having is that it will not pass through LPCM 7.1 from my PS4 through to my Sony receiver, it drops it down to two channel LPCM basically behaving as if I was using it as ARC instead of eARC which should allow it to pass through. Even if I set it to auto it drops to two channels. The internal apps are passing through atmos so it has something to do with devices plugged into the tv and the eARC pass through.
I think this guy is fixing the same issue, and he got it to work. From 4:35. Might also be a bunch of nothing and not related to your issue.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so ready to pull the trigger on this but hearing about reverse ghosting and other issues with game mode is scaring me.

Were those hammered out in the latest firmware update, and is that update available in North America?

OP
OP
manustany

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
I'm so ready to pull the trigger on this but hearing about reverse ghosting and other issues with game mode is scaring me.

Were those hammered out in the latest firmware update, and is that update available in North America?
Yup, local dimming issue has been fixed with the new update and yes, it's available in NA.