• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Samsung Q90T / Q95T | OT

it-qled-q90t-qe55q90tatxzt-lperspectiveblack-223407265.jpg

Specifications
Screen sizes - 55", 65", 75", 85" LCD QLED
Resolution - 3840x2160 (UHD) 16:9
Backlight - FALD
Panel type - VA (QD)
Frequency - 100/120Hz
HDMI VRR - 48/120 Hz
FreeSync - Yes
G-Sync - No
Auto Low Latency Mode - Yes
High Frame Rate - Yes
Quick Media Switching - No
3D - No
OS - Tizen 5.5
TV tuner - ATSC 3.0 (USA) | DVB-T2/S2/C (Europe)
Speakers - 4.2.2 60W
Bluetooth - 4.2
USB - 2 x 2.0
Wall mountable - Yes (VESA compatible)
AirPlay 2 - Yes
Chromecast - No
Homekit - No
Voice assistants - Yes (Alexa, Bixby) G-Assistant coming late 2020.

Inputs Specifications
HDR10 - Yes
HDR10+ - Yes
Dolby Vision - No
HLG - Yes
HDMI 2.0 Full Bandwidth - Yes (HDMI 1,2,3,4)
HDMI 2.1 - Yes (HDMI 4)
CEC - Yes
HDCP 2.2 - Yes (HDMI 1,2,3,4)
USB 3.0 - No
Variable Analog Audio Out - No
Wi-Fi Support - Yes (WiFi 5 – 802.11ac | 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz)

Audio Passthrough
ARC - Yes (HDMI 3)
eARC support - Yes
Dolby Atmos via TrueHD via eARC - Yes
DTS:X via DTS-HD MA via eARC - No
5.1 Dolby Digital via ARC - Yes
5.1 DTS via ARC - No
5.1 Dolby Digital via Optical - Yes
5.1 DTS via Optical - No

What's the differences between Q90T and Q95T?
The Q90T and the Q95T have the exact same panel and specifications, but the Q95T includes the One Connect Box, a different premium remote, an extra 'old school' remote and it's available only in Europe.

This thread is for general discussion about this TV.

Last edited:

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Would love to get impressions on this TV. Have been trying to choose between this and the CX. Just hate that this has one 2.1 port.

OP
OP
manustany

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Sorry, I accidentally posted this thread before finishing it! Just give me a few more minutes :D

Last edited:

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
If you're not afraid of burn-in, why would you get this TV over the identically priced LG CX? Also, does Samsung's local dimming algorithm still crush detail in dark scenes? I remember seeing a video of one of their 2019 models absolutely ruining an outer space scene by making the stars almost impossible to see. This isn't a problem with OLED.

OP
OP
manustany

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Would love to get impressions on this TV. Have been trying to choose between this and the CX. Just hate that this has one 2.1 port.
Yeah, it's a bummer, but you can buy a 2.1 switcher and solve this annoying issue. I have this TV since June and I have to say I'm really impressed, especially gaming with PS4 Pro and X1X.
The CX is excellent as well, but keep in mind that burn-in may be an issue if you play the same game often or you use the TV as a monitor for your PC.

Oct 25, 2017
If you're not afraid of burn-in, why would you get this TV over the identically priced LG CX? Also, does Samsung's local dimming algorithm still crush detail in dark scenes? I remember seeing a video of one of their 2019 models absolutely ruining an outer space scene by making the stars almost impossible to see. This isn't a problem with OLED.

LEDs can be much brighter than the OLEDs for HDR highlights.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
LEDs can be much brighter than the OLEDs for HDR highlights.

Right, but who is realistically complaining about OLED TVs not getting bright enough, especially in a dark room? I feel like they wouldn't review as well as they do if their lower peak brightness compared to LCD was actually an issue.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Only one 2.1 port and being the same price as the LG CX kills this TV for me. I'd either get the 55 inch CX or save 800 dollars and get the 55 inch Sony X900H.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Right, but who is realistically complaining about OLED TVs not getting bright enough, especially in a dark room? I feel like they wouldn't review as well as they do if their lower peak brightness compared to LCD was actually an issue.

Some people are in bright rooms and need the extra peak brightness.

No Dolby Vision though?

Samsung TVs don't have Dolby Vision because they push their own version, HDR10+.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Does the "55 have VRR? Seen it quite a lot recently where the lowest size of a samsung range has a lot of *qualifiers *in *the *small *print *"this size doesn't have all the cool stuff you bought this tv for"

GraceOfGod

Jan 27, 2020
How do people typically set their game systems up with these TV's? I have used a 4K AV receiver, run everything to that, and run HDMI from there to the TV. Would this work better going direct to this TV and then back out from the TV to the receiver for surround sound?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is "The Sero" a next gen proof tv? I love the idea of rotating the tv to play shmups or pinballs

Oct 28, 2017
This is one of the TV's I've been looking at, I was actually reading a few reviews for it yesterday lol. The only thing putting me off is reports about game mode gimping picture quality and problems like inverse ghosting etc. Does this model suffer in that regard too?

Lexxon

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the TV's I've been looking at, I was actually reading a few reviews for it yesterday lol. The only thing putting me off is reports about game mode gimping picture quality and problems like inverse ghosting etc. Does this model suffer in that regard too?

This is my exact concern. Seems like the X900H may be an inferior TV overall (depending on who you listen to), but if I'm planning to use it for at least 50% gaming, I'd rather not have the experience soured. Seems like people are really divided about the whole game mode thing--some find it worse than others.

The 65" X900H can be had on Greentoe for $1198 right now, haven't checked Q80T prices there but I imagine at least $200-400 more. Hard sell for me. I just worry about this HDMI 2.1 update--will it live up to the expectations?

Q90T is in OLED price range, so I would just jump straight to an LG CX/C9 at that point.

I have a Sony x810c in the basement (on my PC) and a 10+ year old 1080p Sony upstairs (for consoles), the new TV will be replacing the 10 year old one, so no matter what any of these sets should be a massive upgrade.

AfterCoffee

Feb 18, 2019
Have samsung solved the ghosting problems? If it is the same as the 2019 models. Check out som videos before you buy. Gaming mode is horrible on 2019 qled.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Only one HDMI 2.1 port and lack of 48-50" size.

My 49X900E still waits for a worthy upgrade model.

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
How do people typically set their game systems up with these TV's? I have used a 4K AV receiver, run everything to that, and run HDMI from there to the TV. Would this work better going direct to this TV and then back out from the TV to the receiver for surround sound?
It really depends on your receiver and what you are wanting to try and play on it. My receiver doesn't have HDMI 2.1 but has eArc so I plan on hooking up a PS5 directly to the tv and use eArc back to my receiver. Currently I have my PS4 connected to my receiver and then output to the tv so I can get 7.1 LPCM sound from it.

Edit: I should also add that the auto game mode works perfectly through my receiver with the PS4.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I actually have one of the slightly lower end QLED's without local dimming since its all I could fit in my house and the CX was like 3 times the price of this with the 25% off I nabbed. Gotta say I've been really pleasantly surprised by it. Out of the box it was not far off the right settings for SDR. Literally set to warm and drop brightness (backlight) to 35 and it was done. HDR seemed spot on out of the box.

Had to disable the image enhancement crap ofc but thats a given. It seems to push enough nits to watch in a decently lit room and the blacks are extremely deep for an lcd panel without dimming, yet not crushed. In our typical watching conditions I can just about notice a true black is maybe a single shade higher than the black bezel behind the glass at the edge if I'm going out of my way to look for it.

OS is shit as always with Samsung TV's but if you use a voice assistant at home like Google or Alexa you might never really interact with it much. They seem to pair in 2 levels for Alexa which is what I use. One via smart things for basic controls such as on and off or volume control and another via the all in one remotes voice button. Oddly that second step will pair it a second time with access to playback controls and app access. This way I never use the actual OS and just ask it to open my apps which my Sony could never do.

The voice assistant, at least alexa, actually picks up on renamed sources too. So renaming PlayStation to ps4 actually works for shortening the voice command. All in all, very happy with it until OLED burn in and blue drains are a thing of the past.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
does it support 48-120hz VRR at 4K or just 60hz? RTings says 60hz but i don't know if that's just because they can't seem to test 2.1 out.

just the 1 hdmi 2.1 port is really crap. if it was 2 it would be great.

i'm torn between these Samsungs + the LG CX.

Thomas Puha

Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Jan 15, 2018
Espoo, Finland
I got the Q95T/55" three weeks ago. First two weeks were amazing, no ghosting or anything as I was on firmware 1302 (Europe) which had the fix for "inverse ghosting".

For the past week I've begun to notice purple banding/ghosting and once I see it, I cant unsee it. Playing Tsushima and every building has a bit of a blueish outline is driving me nuts. The strange thing is that I had no firmware updates, yet this problem showed up...or did I just never notice it?!? The problem has not disappeared with 1304 firmware.

What I didnt know and what is really annoying is that in Game Mode with HDR, roughly after six minutes, the screen dims/brightness goes down by about 20 and the only way to get it back to normal is to turn off Game Mode and turn it back on again. its not about any automated setting, it just happens.

I love Samsung tv's and this model is spectacular outside of these problems that are seemingly specific to Game Mode.

There is a very long thread over at Samsung about the issues here and here

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I'll be getting the 80t as the 90t is a bit too expensive for me. Also Samsung excels at anti-glare and anti-reflection,which is really important to me.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I got the Q95T/55" three weeks ago. First two weeks were amazing, no ghosting or anything as I was on firmware 1302 (Europe) which had the fix for "inverse ghosting".

For the past week I've begun to notice purple banding/ghosting and once I see it, I cant unsee it. Playing Tsushima and every building has a bit of a blueish outline is driving me nuts. The strange thing is that I had no firmware updates, yet this problem showed up...or did I just never notice it?!? The problem has not disappeared with 1304 firmware.

What I didnt know and what is really annoying is that in Game Mode with HDR, roughly after six minutes, the screen dims/brightness goes down by about 20 and the only way to get it back to normal is to turn off Game Mode and turn it back on again. its not about any automated setting, it just happens.

I love Samsung tv's and this model is spectacular outside of these problems that are seemingly specific to Game Mode.

There is a very long thread over at Samsung about the issues here and here

Regarding the dimming issue. Have you turned off all the eco settings? My Q80T would dim on every source until I realised the eco solution was dimming the screen. I turned it off for every source and it hasn't happened since.

Thomas Puha

Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Jan 15, 2018
Espoo, Finland
Regarding the dimming issue. Have you turned off all the eco settings? My Q80T would dim on every source until I realised the eco solution was dimming the screen. I turned it off for every source and it hasn't happened since.

I have, just read the thread over the Samsung forums. Folks have tried everything. The problem in the Q80T/R is different from 90 it seems and R is last years model. The hack is going into the service mode and tweaking settings, but that has some other consequences.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I splurged on a Q80T that I got at a nice discount, upgrading from a pretty standard 2013 1080p screen.

I... want to love it, but I keep running into little issues. Local dimming doesn't really seem to make much of a difference except in scenes that are pretty much all black save for one or two objects on screen, and even then, the light bloom off those objects is super noticeable. Not a huge deal, but definitely undermines the value of the feature.

For gaming, I'm finding that game mode is kind of a mess in 4K - I get color banding and loss of black depth. It works fine at 1080p, but once I get a next-gen console (whenever that may be) I don't love the idea of having to choose between decent input lag or picture quality. And even if I'm OK with more input lag on the standard setting (I imagine/hope setting to 4K/120 will reduce the input lag anyway, along with next gen input lag tech), it gets really aggressive about automatic global dimming in dark scenes, with seemingly no way to turn it off. That's mostly OK, but if you get, say, a black screen with white text on it, the text becomes absurdly dim.

The opening of Hollow Knight was kind of what crystallized these issues for me, where I'd see color banding on game mode and way overzealous global dimming on standard mode. Now, Hollow Knight I can just bump down to 1080p and play on Game Mode to get the best of both worlds, but I'm a little worried going forward.

(And yes, I've gone through the standard checks of eco mode off, HDMI blacks set to limited/low, Xbox One calibration screen, etc.)

Ultimately this is all very first world problems, but for a TV I spent this much on I'm going to nitpick.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I splurged on a Q80T that I got at a nice discount, upgrading from a pretty standard 2013 1080p screen.

I... want to love it, but I keep running into little issues. Local dimming doesn't really seem to make much of a difference except in scenes that are pretty much all black save for one or two objects on screen, and even then, the light bloom off those objects is super noticeable. Not a huge deal, but definitely undermines the value of the feature.

For gaming, I'm finding that game mode is kind of a mess in 4K - I get color banding and loss of black depth. It works fine at 1080p, but once I get a next-gen console (whenever that may be) I don't love the idea of having to choose between decent input lag or picture quality. And even if I'm OK with more input lag on the standard setting (I imagine/hope setting to 4K/120 will reduce the input lag anyway, along with next gen input lag tech), it gets really aggressive about automatic global dimming in dark scenes, with seemingly no way to turn it off. That's mostly OK, but if you get, say, a black screen with white text on it, the text becomes absurdly dim.

The opening of Hollow Knight was kind of what crystallized these issues for me, where I'd see color banding on game mode and way overzealous global dimming on standard mode. Now, Hollow Knight I can just bump down to 1080p and play on Game Mode to get the best of both worlds, but I'm a little worried going forward.

(And yes, I've gone through the standard checks of eco mode off, HDMI blacks set to limited/low, Xbox One calibration screen, etc.)

Ultimately this is all very first world problems, but for a TV I spent this much on I'm going to nitpick.
That's certainly disheartening and once noticed such problems can not be unnoticed. Keep us updated please.

Chippy13

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Mind expanding on this if you have a moment?
Biggest jump for me is the blacks with it having local dimming. Watching any movies in hdr and the differences are noticeable right away. Much less blooming than on the ks8000 as well. There is still dirty screen in some scenes but I don't find it as noticeable as on my ks8000. I also like the game motion interpolation that you can turn on without causing a noticeable amount of input lag. Even having it set at 4 gets rid of the judder when planning on 30fps games.