• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
I am looking to buy a new tv to support new consoles whenever I get them. I have been seriously eyeing these two, the Samsung Q80T and LG CX OLED. I would be getting either one at 55".

I would be putting the TV in a fairly bright living room, and really want to use it for a mix of both gaming and 4K HDR movies. I don't really know the differences between HDR10+ and Dolby Vision either. What would be the best for my use? From what I read, QLED is better for brighter rooms but the picture quality and overall HDR implantation doesn't match the CX. HDR is pretty important to me too.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
CX all day. It's a shame that the 50" Q80T doesn't support 120htz or VRR because @ $850 that'd be a steal.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
If you're not worried about burn in, or at least are willing to be careful, the CX is clearly the better TV.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've seen a single "best of" list, site or community not list the LG CX at the top, especially for gaming. Just got mine in this week!

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CX is the 2020 champ. The 55 is even $300 off at Best Buy right now.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
CX. It's worth it. Get some blackout curtains if you wanna do daytime HDR movies and gaming, but the picture is still good in bright rooms, albeit a little dim.

Any tips for avoiding burn in? Say im playing a game with the HUD in the game for hours won't that be a issue?
Burn-in is cumulative. Just vary your content, turn on pixel shift, lower HUD brightness in-game or regularly shift it if possible. I think there's also a setting that reduces static content brightness panel-side. Keep SDR content at 70 or lower OLED light. It isn't anything to be too concerned about.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
LG CX, you want that OLED true black. It's ruined using other displays for me the same way high refresh rate monitors ruined 60hz monitors for me.

Starburns

Oct 30, 2017
Denver
Any tips for avoiding burn in? Say im playing a game with the HUD in the game for hours won't that be a issue?

I recently picked up a CX, and was worried about burn in - but after reading this, I'm no longer concerned. Check out the long term torture test they put these though.

www.rtings.com

Real-Life OLED Burn-In Test On 6 TVs

There are concerns about OLED long-term performance due to the possibility of burn-in. We bought 6 LG OLED C7s to play real, non-altered content. It should give you a better idea of what to expect depending on what you watch on your TV.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Be aware that if you're buying a Q80T in Europe you are getting a worse model than the one sold in the US. RTings lists the differences in their review iirc

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I am looking to buy a new tv to support new consoles whenever I get them. I have been seriously eyeing these two, the Samsung Q80T and LG CX OLED. I would be getting either one at 55".

I would be putting the TV in a fairly bright living room, and really want to use it for a mix of both gaming and 4K HDR movies. I don't really know the differences between HDR10+ and Dolby Vision either. What would be the best for my use? From what I read, QLED is better for brighter rooms but the picture quality and overall HDR implantation doesn't match the CX. HDR is pretty important to me too.

LG: perfect blacks thus also better contrast
Samsung: High peak brightness/best HDR with wider colour volume

I personally have a Q95T, and got one since I have a bright living room and do not want to babysit my tv at all. No complaints from me! In fact really impressed by the anti glare layer during the day. Even the black level is really good... Comes damn close.
If not mistaken the Q80T has that aswell?

Honestly, everyone is going to recommend you the LG, and it's a fantastic tv. But not necessarily for everyone/ every living room.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
LG: perfect blacks thus also better contrast
Samsung: High peak brightness/best HDR with wider colour gamut

I personally have a Q95T, and got one since I have a bright living room and do not want to babysit my tv at all. No complaints from me! In fact really impressed by the anti glare layer during the day.
If not mistaken the Q80T has that aswell?

Honestly, everyone is going to recommend you the LG, and it's a fantastic tv. But not necessarily for everyone/ every living room.
How's the dimming on your set? Does it have full array local dimming?

I'm just curious how it compares to my LCD TV (Sony x930e). It has incredible brightness so it's amazing for HDR highlights but despite having FALD really struggles with bloom/halo arising from bright sources against dark backgrounds.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I'm having the same dilemma but with the Q90T.

I checked them both out in person and I love the blacks on the CX, but I love the vivid brightness on the Q90T. And the reflections are much less noticeable on the Q90T. Decisions decisions

The black on theQ90T were also miles ahead of my KS8000. And as much as the CX has better black the Q90T is definitely good enough.

Both are just so damn sexy I wish I could get both

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
How's the dimming on your set? Does it have full array local dimming?

I'm just curious how it compares to my LCD TV (Sony x930e). It has incredible brightness so it's amazing for HDR highlights but despite having FALD really struggles with bloom/halo arising from bright sources against dark backgrounds.

Mind you, I've had the TV for only a month and due to work have not tested it out a lot. Maybe Tripwire-Stone can help out and give his opinion?

Sold my PS4 a while ago, so have not gamed on it yet. Soon to receive the PS5 so will know better.

As far as media goes, I have only watched a handful of 4K/HDR content through Netlfix and Amazon Prime. Simply fantastic stuff though!
Obviously had to watch Our Planet, and that was mind-blowing-good: the colours, and the hdr honestly pop.
Seen some movies with dark scenes aswell:
His Home (horror) and Power (Netflix original)... And no bloom or bleeding to be noticed.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm guess I will get the CX. It's out of stock at the moment at best buy and I prefer to buy it there because of rewards points. Guess I'll have to wait

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having the same dilemma but with the Q90T.

I checked them both out in person and I love the blacks on the CX, but I love the vivid brightness on the Q90T. And the reflections are much less noticeable on the Q90T. Decisions decisions

The black on theQ90T were also miles ahead of my KS8000. And as much as the CX has better black the Q90T is definitely good enough.

Both are just so damn sexy I wish I could get both

I'm deciding between the exact same two sets myself.

Currently I get a hefty discount on the Q90T via work, so I can get the 55" for ÂŁ1100. As it happens, the LG CX is on discount right now at around ÂŁ1300 for the 55", but I have seen a few drops a little below that.

At such a small difference in price, the CX would be my choice-
  • It has perfect blacks via the panel type
  • Dolby Vision (which seems to be superior over HDR 10+ in films from what I've read as the effects are more specific to each scene?)
  • 4 vs. 1 HDMI 2.1 Ports
  • I can get a 5 year warranty which covers against panel burn in
  • Panel in isn't really a huge risk
  • I've been told that the sound is really good for a built in solution
But regardless/if the CX price goes back up towards ÂŁ1600, then with the Samsung
  • It's cheaper
  • The Q90T will be at an angle to the window in the room, meaning if the blinds are open, a brighter less reflective panel will be useful as sunlight will be directly on it
  • Less reflections on the screen generally
  • I only really need one HDMI 2.1 port
  • Although burn in isn't a huge risk with the CX, I'll never have to worry about it ever with the Q90T
  • I read somewhere that the upscaling tech on the Q90T is some of the best around especially for Blu Ray discs and DVDs? Any truth in this?

I know the BX model exists, but if I'm looking at OLED I'd rather get all the bells and whistles with the CX (which has a brighter panel for the purposes of playing potentially with sunlight coming through the window).

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Got my CX earlier this week and it's blown me away. I'd say go for it if you have the means.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
But Q80t does support 120hz and VRR. Or are there a problem I'm not aware about?

The 49 and 50" versions don't have the anti-glare stuff and do NOT support 120hz/VRR. I was about to pick up the 50" since it's on sale but then after some digging found that out. The 55"+ are the real deal ones and worth every penny of the sale price they're running at now (starting at $1049).

Hmm guess I will get the CX. It's out of stock at the moment at best buy and I prefer to buy it there because of rewards points. Guess I'll have to wait

Don't let all that scare you away. The CX is in fact sold out because of the sales going on but the Q80 is a great TV as well as being cheaper. It's also super bright if you're into HDR gaming and has VERY low latency. It's one of the best gaming TV's for sure. You really can't go wrong with either TV.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
The 65inch CX is pretty stunning, but it wasn't cheap "even on sale". I am really enjoying Demon's Souls on it.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, different question: the Q90T or the LG BX? They're both the same price at Best Buy right now, though I have read the BX does not get bright enough.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Ok, different question: the Q90T or the LG BX? They're both the same price at Best Buy right now, though I have read the BX does not get bright enough.

Read my previous post. I have got the Q95T (identical to Q90T, except it has the one connect box)

In the Netherlands both were the same price. LG CX was 1200 and the Q95T aswell. But I went for the Samsung for reasons mentioned earlier.

Brightest tv out there, with really good blacks

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Both great TVs

The BX has 4 HDMI capable port, whereas everything else has just 1 or 2.
That might make it an easier choice if you are a gamer and have an Xbox/PS5 and PC hooked up.

The Samsung can't get Burn-in and is the better choice if you play games in a light environment.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Nothing beats seeing a TV turn off individual pixels to produce true black around lit areas, those inky oled blacks never get old for me. So I'd say CX.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Both great TVs

The BX has 4 HDMI capable port, whereas everything else has just 1 or 2.
That might make it an easier choice if you are a gamer and have an Xbox/PS5 and PC hooked up.

The Samsung can't get Burn-in and is the better choice if you play games in a light environment.
The things pushing me toward the BX are Dolby Vision support, and 2 120 4K inputs. But I am just really worried about the brightness as someone who watches a lot of 4K HDR content.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I upgraded from a Samsung KS8000 to an LGCX55 last week and the difference in image quality is amazing. Simply local dimming vs oled is not comparable at all and the peak brightness of the CX is more than good enough for me coupled with VRR @ 120hz, fantastic piece of kit.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Welp, the CX went back in stock for a brief time this morning at Best Buy so I was able to snag one. Should get here December 4th!