• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I own this monitor, having received it a few days ago. I didn't see a thread here about it so I thought I would post my thoughts on it for anyone considering getting one.

Initial versions of this monitor apparently had some issues which prompted Samsung to order retailers to stop selling it and send all the monitors back to Samsung for testing. That testing delayed my unit from arriving by about a month. It arrived sealed with a sticker saying it was quality control inspected by Samsung.

Here are my early impressions running a G9 for a couple of days, connected to an Nvidia RTX 2060 Super with the included displayport cable. My other monitors are a Samsung 34 inch ultrawide CJ791, and an Eizo FG2421. I find the curve on the G9 to be overwhelming a lot of the time.

My G9 is setup to run at the native res, 240Hz, HDR, 10bit, with G-sync enabled for games. Note that I haven't done much gaming on this yet, only testing with Witcher 3 and general desktop use so far.

I find the curve to be quite severe. Sitting in my normal position for pc use I have to turn my head to see the sides of the screen. So I have to lean back in my chair to use the G9 more comfortably, which is not great for ergonomics. I also moved my desk away from the wall a bit, to push the monitor as far back as I could, to create more distance from me. The G9's stand coupled with the extreme curve really brings the screen forward. That's going to take some getting used to. In comparison, the CJ791 screen is quite a bit farther away from my face in my normal seated position, and is more comfortable to use.

So far, the black levels and contrast on the G9 are not great. Blacks are pretty grey, and not nearly as black as my Eizo. They aren't in the same league as a good lcd tv.

The 240Hz refresh rate is nice in Windows. However, scrolling black text on a white background with HDR enabled presents some distracting trailing.

Being able to watch HDR videos on Youtube now, finally, is nice.

The local dimming feature on the G9 is laughable. It feels like there's only something like 4 zones. When a zone is off, the backlight creates an enormous grey gradient, several inches wide, to the adjacent zone. It's the worst local dimming effect I have seen in person. I turned that setting off for now.

Somewhat concerning, the monitor is making some occasional electrical static popping noises in normal use. I'm going to try plugging its power into different outlets to see if it makes a difference. That's the only obvious problem I have experienced with the G9 so far. No flickering or other issues that I have seen reported on earlier units.

I hope to test it with some more games, particularly HDR-supporting games, soon. So far, the monitor is ok, but for the price, I'm not so sure that it's worth it. There continues to be a massive gulf in image quality between pc monitors and tv displays.

If I can't resolve the static popping within my return window, I will probably return it. I don't know what I would replace it with though. It's a lot of money for average image quality with a fast refresh rate.

Zones

Oct 28, 2017
I imagine the "occasional electrical static popping noises" would occur due to running the monitor at 240Hz, try running it at 120Hz or preferably 60Hz for a while and see if this issue persists.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Imagining this sweet monitor.
b6c.gif

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Dang it, I thought I accidentally posted my preview lmao

Sucks about the issues OP. I can relate to the laughable local dimming solutions they use since I witnessed it on a 55" I bought a couple years ago. No surprise Samsung does the minimum to get the feature names slapped on the box. Marketing wins again.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like Samsung is really raising the bar here with this monitor - 1 ms response time, G-sync and Freesync, 240 Hz refresh rate, HDR 1000, QLED, etc.

The turn off for me is the degree of the curve. It just seems a bit too much. Everything else though looks fantastic.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like Samsung is really raising the bar here with this monitor - 1 ms response time, G-sync and Freesync, 240 Hz refresh rate, HDR 1000, QLED, etc.

The turn off for me is the degree of the curve. It just seems a bit too much. Everything else though looks fantastic.

The question is can it do all that at the same time? Probably not. 1ms especially is typically bullshit.

OP
OP
Brandson

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I imagine the "occasional electrical static popping noises" would occur due to running the monitor at 240Hz, try running it at 120Hz or preferably 60Hz for a while and see if this issue persists.

I switched to 120Hz for 30 minutes after reading your post and it didn't pop at all. Now, switching back to 240Hz and it's popping every minute or so. Why did you think the static would be related to 240Hz?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
The local dimming feature on the G9 is laughable. It feels like there's only something like 4 zones. When a zone is off, the backlight creates an enormous grey gradient, several inches wide, to the adjacent zone. It's the worst local dimming effect I have seen in person. I turned that setting off for now.

10 actually. Kind of weird, doesn't seem like there's much point with that few. For reference Asus' 35" ultrawide has 512, and their premium 27" has 384. Granted that monitor also costs twice as much, but it seems like you need at least close to number to get "true" HDR.

I don't really see the point of 32:9 monitors. If you sit close you almost definitely can't see the edges of the screen. If you back up so that you can see the full screen it seems oddly short. 21:9 seems like the sweet spot where it takes up more of your field of view without being a ridiculous shape.

OP
OP
Brandson

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
10 actually. Kind of weird, doesn't seem like there's much point with that few. For reference Asus' 35" ultrawide has 512, and their premium 27" has 384. Granted that monitor also costs twice as much, but it seems like you need at least close to number to get "true" HDR.

I don't really see the point of 32:9 monitors. If you sit close you almost definitely can't see the edges of the screen. If you back up so that you can see the full screen it seems oddly short. 21:9 seems like the sweet spot where it takes up more of your field of view without being a ridiculous shape.

I have a couple of Sony FALD TVs that work very well. They have some minimal blooming, which is sometimes noticeable, but overall I have had good experiences with local dimming until now. The G9 is amateur hour local dimming in comparison.

I tried taking some photos of the G9, but the lighting in the room it's in is really not helping. All the photos look pretty terrible and aren't at all representative of the monitor experience. I'll keep trying.

I have about 10 more days to decide whether or not to return the G9. I'm leaning towards returning it because of the popping noise, which happens a lot in HDR games. Updating to the latest firmware didn't make a difference. Even though HDR gaming is good, I'm disappointed with the black levels. I've seen a few reviews that praise the black levels, which I don't understand. Black scenes on the monitor are quite hazy.

Given that this monitor costs about as much as a 48 inch oled, I think I might take my chances with burn-in and go with that instead.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have HDR active in Windows display settings at all times? As I understand it that can explain the milky blacks.

I believe most HDR games will auto switch that feature on and off so you aren't viewing non HDR content in Windows and getting that grey overlay effect.

I've been reading about the monitor myself since it launched and opinions from owners indicate to leave Windows HDR off due to it fussing with black levels and image quality. Only turn it on for select content(movies or video) and if a game doesn't auto toggle.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I switched to 120Hz for 30 minutes after reading your post and it didn't pop at all. Now, switching back to 240Hz and it's popping every minute or so. Why did you think the static would be related to 240Hz?

Pretty sure it's normal. I think it's something got to do with heat. I remember reading about it a few weeks ago when someone asked on Reddit.

Trying to get my hands on this monitor has been a monumental task. Trying to find one in stock that doesn't run out of stock immediately has been exceptionally difficult, especially being from Ireland where most of my PC orders would be from the UK.

I finally found some on CCLOnline (I missed two of their stock alerts previously). Managed to get my order in, boom, money taken immediately and was told should have it in a day or two.

Well it's been a week now and they "aren't sure why they haven't got the one I ordered in stock". Apparently they get told they can sell X amount, people put orders in and then they receive them from their supplier and send them out. So apparently they had to contact the supplier and open an "investigation". Honestly I sense massive bullshit and think they are buying time until they got the next batch in stock. Really pissed me off but I have literally no other options available to me.

FirewalkR

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm waiting for it to be in stock again in the UK.

I read that there was some sort of recall... which is why it's not readily available?

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for it to be in stock again in the UK.

I read that there was some sort of recall... which is why it's not readily available?
Yes, panels were letting loose on these monitors. They recalled them, apparently you can see the fix with a flashlight.
There were also people experiencing flickering at higher refreshrates. It's an amazing monitor but I would wait to see some longer use impressions honestly.

Also seem people breaking them in videos because they took them out of the box incorrectly (lifting them out of the box, rather than adding the stand first, and then using that to lift it out).

I wouldn't dare lifting it like Linus does in his vids after some stuff I've seen.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I know a few people that are very happy with their 32:9 displays; but they purchased them to replace dual-monitor setups.
I also know some people that switched from dual 16:9 to 32:9 and dislike it a lot though, because they liked the ease of being able to run a game on one screen and have something else open on the other - possibly with the second display rotated to portrait mode. You can use window managers to split tasks across a 32:9 display but it's not quite the same as having two separate screens; better in some ways, and worse in others.
For gaming, I think "21:9" (43:18) is a far better aspect ratio, as it extends the horizontal view without requiring an extreme curve or making you to sit further back from the display.

Oct 27, 2017
Gaia
Got it on thursday. Was super pleased at first until I started noticing the huge flaws. 1. My monitor has crazy overshoot/inverse ghosting because of the overdrive (response time) setting. None of the different modes seem to help with the issue at all. 2. Noticed that I have the bezel separation on the top left. 3. I also got the flickering for the first time while trying out doom eternal.

So yeah...I'm returning it. Ticks all the boxes on paper, but has severe problems :(

FirewalkR

Oct 27, 2017
London
I got a stock alert from Samsung (UK) earlier today but when I went to the site, a minute later, it just showed me the same "get stock alert" button...

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I have it's older brother, the C49RG90. I absolutely love it. I've shared this image with Era before.

wOHdbA1.jpg

I like having options for games. I guess its why I love PC gaming. Not many games support 32:9 resolutions natively (when they do, it's breathtaking) but many can be forced with user made fixes. The monitor is also great at running games 21:9 which has become more widely supported. I simply create a custom resolution in NVCP for 3440x1440 and run the game borderless if a game doesn't support 32:9.

Before this, I had triple monitor setups and messed with Nvidia Surround and AMD's Eyefinity. I much prefer these monitors now.

OP
OP
Brandson

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I've done some more testing and research. It seems like my G9's popping noises may be related to the temperature of the display. In SDR with the brightness turned down from the defaults, it rarely makes any noises. In HDR with the brightness maxed out (as is what you're supposed to do when displaying HDR content), the popping is quite frequent. I've found that turning the brightness down to around 40-50 still provides a noticeable/enjoyable HDR experience, while reducing the popping noises. They don't totally go away, but they are much less frequent. In all uses, the monitor heats up my room like crazy though. I don't think Samsung has provided adequate cooling in this model.

Another benefit of reducing the brightness on this monitor, is that the contrast improves quite a lot. Black levels are more in line with what I expected, once turning the brightness down.

The monitor doesn't seem to switch to 10bit mode correctly all the time running at 120hz. It feels like Windows and the graphics drivers interface with the monitor better in 240hz so I recommend keeping it set to 240hz if you can. I also strongly recommend staying in SDR mode for Windows desktop use and letting games enable HDR for you. Turning on HDR in Windows settings sometimes glitches the image, requiring a reboot, and scrolling text in HDR in Windows looks really bad. It's fine in games.

I'm now leaning more towards keeping it, instead of trying to struggle with custom ultrawide resolutions on a 48 inch oled.

My last remaining gripe is I absolutely hate the stand. It's way too big and pushes the monitor really far away from the wall. I need to find a slim wallmount that can handle the weird centre of gravity of this heavily curved monitor.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice.

I "settled" for the G7.

I already own an Ultrawide but wasn't lucky enough with my panel. BAcklight bleeding can be a bitch and a half... So i didn't want to try my luck with such an expensive monitor as the G9.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Pretty sure it's normal. I think it's something got to do with heat. I remember reading about it a few weeks ago when someone asked on Reddit.

Trying to get my hands on this monitor has been a monumental task. Trying to find one in stock that doesn't run out of stock immediately has been exceptionally difficult, especially being from Ireland where most of my PC orders would be from the UK.

I finally found some on CCLOnline (I missed two of their stock alerts previously). Managed to get my order in, boom, money taken immediately and was told should have it in a day or two.

Well it's been a week now and they "aren't sure why they haven't got the one I ordered in stock". Apparently they get told they can sell X amount, people put orders in and then they receive them from their supplier and send them out. So apparently they had to contact the supplier and open an "investigation". Honestly I sense massive bullshit and think they are buying time until they got the next batch in stock. Really pissed me off but I have literally no other options available to me.

Still waiting on mine :(

Mar 22, 2019
oopDIt5.jpg

zZNJbIP.jpg

Seriously considering the G9 as this is my current setup: 27'' Asus XG27UQ on the left side and 34'' Asus PG349Q on the right - both being held up by two Ergotech Freedom Arm HD (which is needed as i have a thic desk but means the screens arent level).

Its working as my remote-productivity (ultrawide is main screen and hooked up to my work laptop for excel/outlook etc goodness) and I use the 27'' for gaming pc and ps4 - but the ultrawide is also hooked up to my gaming pc you can see there.

How is the G9 for work/productivity? Obviously gaming its a no brainer and i've got a 9900k + 2080ti setup right now but given I'd need it to double as my work screen (would sell both of these) - how does it do in that space? Also it would be powered by my lenovo laptop which isnt quite the beast my gaming pc is...

OP
OP
Brandson

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
How is the G9 for work/productivity? Obviously gaming its a no brainer and i've got a 9900k + 2080ti setup right now but given I'd need it to double as my work screen (would sell both of these) - how does it do in that space? Also it would be powered by my lenovo laptop which isnt quite the beast my gaming pc is...

It is quite good for productivity. I am still trying to optimize the experience though. Since the curve is so severe, ideally you would have a deep desk to get the screen farther away from you. If it's too close you have to move your neck a lot instead of just your eyes. Over time that gets tiring. My personal opinion is that I prefer a less aggressive curve for comfort. I have a Samsung 34" CJ791 with a 1500R curve. I much prefer the comfort of that over the 1000R curve of the G9. Last year's Samsung 49" CRG9 seems to be very similar to the G9, only with a less aggressive curve, and 120hz vs 240hz. It's also cheaper. That might be a better option.

Wall mounting would be good, but I have not yet found a mount that would work. I bought a Monoprice desk mount as a cheap experiment that had a weight tolerance exceeding the G9's weight. Unfortunately, the tilt mechanism in the mount was no match for the G9. It could not hold the G9 at all, aiming the G9 down at the desk. In addition to not being able to hold the monitor up when fully tightened, the screw for tightening the tilt mechanism actually broke within 10 minutes of installation too.

I have read comments from people that even the most heavy duty expensive monitor mount (the Ergotron HX) does not have a strong enough tilt mechanism to hold up this monitor.

TV wall mounts, possibly those without a tilt function, might work, but so far all the mounts I could find that might work have huge vertical support arms that will stick out above and below the monitor. So I am stuck with the tabletop stand it came with for now. Hopefully someone, maybe Ergotron, comes out with a solution later on.

For productivity, keep the monitor in SDR with the brightness down, probably lower than 20. Windows desktop in 240Hz SDR is very very smooth, and uniformity on my monitor at least is quite good in SDR. No part of the monitor gets washed out in SDR while seated normally.

I easily notice a difference over 100Hz or 120Hz. Any of these high refresh rates is far superior to 60Hz for productivity though, so while going to a 240Hz monitor over 120Hz is a nice perk, I don't know that it's a selling feature in itself.

You may also want to invest in some bias lighting. I'm playing around with some Philips Hue lights now which seem to work well. Note that the Philips Sync function in the Windows app to sync the lights to what's going on on the screen alters the screen image in HDR mode, and prevents gsync from working, so don't buy any Philips lights hoping to use the sync function on this monitor.

Another thing I have discovered is that snapping windows in Windows 10 doesn't work as well in 32:9, since by default you can only snap to one half of the screen or the other. With a screen this large you may want more zones to snap windows to. Microsoft has made a Powertoy for Windows 10 called FancyZones that solves that problem. You can get it here: https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys. With this enabled, you can decide how many snap zones you want and where you want them. Then to revert to the previous Windows 10 window snap functionality, just hold shift while dragging a window. I like it, and I'm glad it's free. Note that it seems to work better running in administrator mode.

JavonMcCloud

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon is showing these back in stock by the way. Can't find any real crystal clear answer to some of the quality control stuff that was supposed to happen.

OP
OP
Brandson

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
G9 owner's update here... So the air quality in my room near my monitor has started deteriorating significantly. I have a couple Dyson air purifier/fans. I put one in the room because the G9 was heating up my room from 22 degrees C to 26C. The air quality sensor on the fan went to full red alert mode within a day. In case the sensor was malfunctioning, I grabbed a second Dyson and it went from green to orange in a few hours. Watching if it hits red today too. The air quality in this room was fine before the G9 arrived. I emailed Samsung today about this. Will post what I hear back. I think Samsung should recall all these monitors and offer refunds.

OP
OP
Brandson

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
G9 owner's update here... So the air quality in my room near my monitor has started deteriorating significantly. I have a couple Dyson air purifier/fans. I put one in the room because the G9 was heating up my room from 22 degrees C to 26C. The air quality sensor on the fan went to full red alert mode within a day. In case the sensor was malfunctioning, I grabbed a second Dyson and it went from green to orange in a few hours. Watching if it hits red today too. The air quality in this room was fine before the G9 arrived. I emailed Samsung today about this. Will post what I hear back. I think Samsung should recall all these monitors and offer refunds.

It's definitely the monitor that's causing the poor air quality. Watching my AQ sensor, I had my monitor off overnight. I just turned the G9 on and started using it. Within 5 minutes, the air quality went from the constant level it had been at, to sharply worse.

Don't buy this monitor.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Actually 3 monitors are better for a sim rig.
Ultimately yes, but this must be nice AF anyway.

It's definitely the monitor that's causing the poor air quality. Watching my AQ sensor, I had my monitor off overnight. I just turned the G9 on and started using it. Within 5 minutes, the air quality went from the constant level it had been at, to sharply worse.

Don't buy this monitor.
whoa.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017

Don't buy this monitor.
Can you define poor air quality? What would it be emitting to cause this?

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Trippy. This monitor on spec is almost everything I'd want in a monitor, but as evidenced here and in the reviews I read, the manufacturing/QA/general quality seems to be a shitshow.

What a shame.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

Don't buy this monitor.
It's probably just plastic outgassing being accelerated by the heat when it's running.
You'll find that many new products brought into your home will lower the air quality temporarily, since those Dyson fans appear to measure VOCs.
I'm curious to know what happens with their hot+cool purifiers, as I know the older Dyson hot+cool fans will immediately set off a PM2.5 meter as soon as the heat is switched on. I wonder if they've addressed this with the newer fans, or simply turn off the metering while it is running.

Last edited:

SGRX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've come close to pulling the trigger on this monitor a few times, but the quality control issues put me off. At this point I think I'm just going to wait for the 38" Alienware.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

Don't buy this monitor.

Wow, what? I have never heard of a situation like this. Why would it be doing that? I don't know a lot about "air purity". Also, warming up a room 4C+ is crazy.

OP
OP
Brandson

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
Little update... I disconnected the G9 this morning and put it in my garage. With an air purifier running all day, the air quality measurement in the computer room is almost back to normal. This is with the computer still on just with an old Dell monitor in use instead. I had a purifier on all day every day before with the G9 and it was always showing that the air quality was the worst it was capable of measuring.

After chatting with a very understanding Best Buy support agent on the phone, they agreed to take it back with a full refund, which I really appreciate.

Since I need a monitor right now, I decided to order the Alienware AW3420DW. I know it's not HDR, but I need something. Once the 38 inch model comes out, I'll probably get that and give this to my son, assuming the QC on the 34 is good. Going with Alienware for now partly because of their easy returns.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Little update... I disconnected the G9 this morning and put it in my garage. With an air purifier running all day, the air quality measurement in the computer room is almost back to normal. This is with the computer still on just with an old Dell monitor in use instead. I had a purifier on all day every day before with the G9 and it was always showing that the air quality was the worst it was capable of measuring.

After chatting with a very understanding Best Buy support agent on the phone, they agreed to take it back with a full refund, which I really appreciate.

Since I need a monitor right now, I decided to order the Alienware AW3420DW. I know it's not HDR, but I need something. Once the 38 inch model comes out, I'll probably get that and give this to my son, assuming the QC on the 34 is good. Going with Alienware for now partly because of their easy returns.

Thanks for the updates. I actually have the AW3420DW myself but have been looking at the G9 since it released as I'd like HDR. Dodged a bullet and will probably hold out for the 38" as well. Or wait longer since the AW3420DW is a really great monitor even despite the lack of HDR.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I feel like this monitor is the first semi-legitimate reason someone could be justified in building a $4,000 "god box" PC. I can only imagine that pairing this with an RTX 3090 and a Samsung 980 Pro SSD would make for a totally next-level gaming experience.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

Please update us with your results of using that purifier near the Alienware monitor once it arrives.

OP
OP
Brandson

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I have been using the Alienware AW3420DW for a couple of days now and my preliminary thoughts are that, while it's not perfect, it's a better choice than the G9. I have high hopes for the upcoming AW3821DW after using this one.

TLDR: To get it out of the way up front, I am happy to report no strange noises coming from the AW, no noticeable heating effect, and my air purifier shows the air quality remains good/green with the AW on all day. While this monitor can't do everything, I have no problem recommending it.

I'll post my thoughts in comparison to the G9, and another monitor I own, the Samsung 34CJ791, a 34" 3440x1440 21:9 100Hz FreeSync ultrawide QLED monitor. Altough the CJ791 isn't technically a gaming monitor, it is a good all-rounder. None of these monitors is perfect. None of my monitors tested had any dead pixels, backlight bleeding, or other picture abnormalities. I can recommend both the CJ791 and the AW, but not the G9.

AW positives:
+ Fits better on a normal desk than the G9
+ Can get closer to the wall with its stand than the G9
+ The stand doesn't take up as much desk space
+ Build quality and design is good
+ Viewing angles are good
+ Doesn't get hot, or even warm, unlike the G9 which ran alarmingly hot
+ Doesn't make any popping/static noises, unlike the G9 which popped every few seconds at worst
+ Has a full fledged GSync module built-in, which makes gaming quite smooth so far
+ Not as curved as the G9, which was curved too much for my comfort (G9 has an extreme 1000R curve, 1900R on the AW).
+ Doesn't seem to negatively affect air quality so far (unlike the G9)
+ The image appears sharper somehow. Both the G9 and CJ791 have a slight blurriness to the image in comparison. This isn't due to any sharpening post-processing but something to do with the panels or perhaps anti-glare coatings.
+ The colours feel more natural/accurate, compared to the more vibrant but perhaps inaccurate or sometimes overcooked colours of the Samsung monitors.

AW negatives:
- There is some noticeable vignetting around the screen edges, particularly the top edge.
- Banding is visible in some gradients, but only noticeable in gradient test patterns, not regular use.
- Blacks aren't nearly as black as the G9 or CJ791 in SDR, so contrast is worse on the AW, as expected since the AW is an IPS monitor.
- 120Hz not as smooth as 240Hz on the G9 in Windows use (but noticeably smoother than the 100Hz of the CJ791)
- Colours not as vibrant as the G9 or the CJ791 in SDR, probably because both Samsungs use QLED panels
- No HDR support
- For me, the curve of the CJ791 feels the most natural. The CJ791 has a 1500R curve vs 1900R for the AW. Both are more comfortable than the 1000R curve of the G9, and I would take either over the G9, but my eyes have to refocus at 1900R, while they don't at 1500R. For me, 1500R is perfect. This is a personal preference.
- IPS glow in black areas, most noticeable in dark gaming scenes.

My overall conclusion is the AW3420DW is a fantastic monitor. All monitors have tradeoffs, but all things considered, I think the AW is the best of the 3 I've tested. I wish it had better contrast, better blacks, and HDR, but even with those caveats, I would still pick it over the others.

HDR on the G9 was the best part of owning it. While the G9 could get really bright, it's not even the brightness that made its HDR image great, but rather the dynamic range of the colours overall. Ignoring all the huge disqualifying problems with the G9, Assassin's Creed Odyssey in HDR on the G9 was wonderful. The colour range was so rich and joyful to behold. It's hard to explain if you haven't seen it in person, and I couldn't capture the difference. In comparison, AC Odyssey SDR on the AW is still very good, but it's not the same as HDR. I look forward to future HDR monitors from AW. HDR on the desktop sucks, but HDR PC games can be great.

GSync on the AW works better than on the other two monitors. For gaming, the AW handles motion the best. Even though the G9 has a 240Hz mode and is GSync compatible, it suffered from some occasional jerkiness or mild flickering. The AW is just smooth all the time. I liked 240Hz in Windows, but 120Hz is a fine compromise to not have all the issues that the G9 suffered from.

I would avoid the G9 at all costs, but the CJ791 is actually quite good. It has better contrast and colours than the AW, even though neither is HDR. The CJ791 exhibits some slight blurriness compared to the AW though, which is most noticeable watching video. I prefer the AW's sharpness over the CJ791's more enjoyable, if inaccurate, colours. The CJ791 doesn't have any of the other problems of the G9. An HDR version of the CJ791 would be a welcomed addition to Samsung's lineup. Maybe next year?

I hope that helps anyone considering these monitors. I tried to describe everything the best I could. I hope to follow-up with my thoughts on the AW3821DW next year. I miss HDR already.