• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for all you rich motherfuckers out there.

this isn't mini-led, like the panels that will supposedly be in the 2021 Ipad and, maybe, switch pro, if it exists. microLED is the OLED competitor. self-emitting diodes that make up the pixels. also, it's "only" 4K

www.whathifi.com

Samsung's first consumer MicroLED TV is finally arriving in early 2021

110 inches of next-gen TV technology that you definitely can't afford

press release
Samsung Electronics announced the launch and pre-sale of the groundbreaking 110" Samsung MicroLED beginning today in Korea. Unlike any other displays currently available on the market, Samsung MicroLED delivers astonishing color vibrancy and brightness with self-emissive LED display technology.

In 2018, Samsung's first MicroLED display was introduced in the form of "The Wall"— a system of configurable modules that could be installed professionally. With the new 110" MicroLED, Samsung is delivering the MicroLED experience in a traditional TV form for the first time. Unlike its modular counterpart, installation and calibration is streamlined since the new 110" MicroLED model is prefabricated — offering stunning video, audio, and smart capabilities out of the box.

In the past year, consumer interest and demand for large screen TVs has continued to grow rapidly. With the launch of the 110'' MicroLED, Samsung offers a breathtaking visual experience on an ultra-large next-generation TV display.

"As consumers rely on their televisions for more functions than ever, we are incredibly excited to bring the 110" MicroLED to the commercial market," said Jonghee Han, President of Visual Display Business at Samsung Electronics. "Samsung MicroLED is going to redefine what premium at-home experiences mean for consumers around the world."

Innovative Engineering Delivers Next-Level Picture Quality
Ultra-large screen enthusiasts want excellent picture quality with vibrant colors and stunning resolution. With Samsung's latest engineering innovations, the 110'' MicroLED uses micrometer-sized LED lights to eliminate the backlight and color filters utilized in conventional displays. Instead, it is self-illuminating—producing light and color from its own pixel structures. It expresses 100% of the DCI and Adobe RGB color gamut, and accurately delivers wide color gamut images taken with high-end DSLR cameras. This results in stunning, lifelike colors and accurate brightness from the display's 4K resolution and 8 million pixels.

The 110'' MicroLED also has a processor powerful enough to live up to its display capabilities. Its all-new Micro AI Processor delivers stunning 4K HDR content — resulting in bright, vivid, realistic picture quality that is optimized to each scene.

What's more, the 110" MicroLED makes that stunning picture quality last for the long term. MicroLEDs are made of inorganic materials which are long-lasting and durable — allowing a lifespan of up to 100,000 hours, or over a decade.

Previously, mass-producing a MicroLED screen as small as 110'' for simple home installation wasn't possible. But Samsung innovated to make it a reality by developing cutting-edge surface mount technology — along with a new production process derived from its semiconductor business — making MicroLED technology easier to manufacture, deliver, and install. These same innovations will allow Samsung to produce even smaller MicroLED models in the future, so even more consumers can enjoy the breathtaking MicroLED experience.

Immersive Design and Premium Audio
When you turn on the 110'' MicroLED, you are treated to a spectacularly immersive experience thanks to its 99.99% screen-to-body ratio. The black matrix and bezel have been completely removed from the display — leaving only the screen, delivering consumers the most immersive content experience.

Samsung has innovated and optimized its Smart TV features to take advantage of the 110" MicroLED's massive screen. For example, consumers can use the Multi View feature to comfortably watch up to four sources of content simultaneously on up to 55'' sized split screens. When using this feature, the viewers can connect multiple external devices and enjoy watching news, movies, and other apps simultaneously on one screen — so they can keep up with multiple sports at once, or stream a walkthrough while playing a video game, all in stunning quality and size.

Plus, the 110'' MicroLED's dynamic audio experience is just as immersive as its visuals. It includes an embedded Majestic Sound System that delivers breathtaking 5.1 channel sound with no external speaker—transforming any room into a luxurious home theater. And its Object Tracking Sound Pro feature identifies objects moving on screen, and projects the sound to follow the action — so when you are watching an action movie and an airplane flies overhead, it will feel like its engines are roaring above you.

The 110'' MicroLED will be available globally in the first quarter of next year following today's unveiling in Korea. For more information about the 110'' MicroLED, please visit: www.samsung.com.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
God I hope for something good on market by next summer that is an improvement on OLED, burn in immune, a great match for PS5 and XSX, and like, less than $10,000.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to skip OLED entirely and jump to one of these within a few years, provided cost and availability.

Mar 3, 2018
From this point, what timeframe can we expect for 50-70" TVs hitting stores for consumers?

I remember in another thread someone was saying it will be a long time since the manufacturing process etc is really hard and expensive before it becomes affordable and consumer-friendly, but dunno how reliable that was. I think they said at least 3-4 years... and going by this one Samsung is putting out, safe to say that the sizes you mentioned - if released tomorrow - would prob still be 30-40k.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
No mention of motion-clarity or viewing angles. If this is still bound to LED shortcoming regarding those issues, it's still not the end all be all. Though I assume the elimination of color filters will result in better viewing angles for this tech.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
My guess would be at least 3-5 years?
Yeah I think that is how long it took for OLEDs to become somewhat affordable.

Might be faster if everyone adopts it because OLED was really slow.

I don't think the market for the top end tvs is that big. Seems like the majority of people are happy to buy a sub $1000 panel because even most of them look pretty amazing on your wall.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
No mention of motion-clarity or viewing angles. If this is still bound to LED shortcoming regarding those issues, it's still not the end all be all. Though I assume the elimination of color filters will result in better viewing angles for this tech.
In the video in the op he talks about viewing angles being on par with oled potentially.

I look forward to 2-3 years from now when I can afford one of these and my OLED is older.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Looking forward to replacing my 65" LG C9 OLED with a 75" MicroLED set at the start of the PS6/next Xbox generation.

Nov 18, 2020
It's incredible how this TV has absolutely zero bezel and no depth to the panel itself. Feels legit futuristic, like something I'd imagine as a kid

This would make an awesome home movie theater:

8GkJdJi.png

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible how this TV has absolutely zero bezel and no depth to the panel itself. Feels legit futuristic, like something I'd imagine as a kid

This would make an awesome home movie theater:

8GkJdJi.png
For the current price though you are better off going for an ultra short throw.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I don't follow TV tech much, but is it safe to say that the time for this to become as affordable as current OLEDs would be in the 5-10yr range? As in, you might as well buy an OLED now and upgrade later if you're still rocking a 1080p set.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
is this new one still a bunch of small individual panels placed side by side or is it one unit

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow TV tech much, but is it safe to say that the time for this to become as affordable as current OLEDs would be in the 5-10yr range? As in, you might as well buy an OLED now and upgrade later if you're still rocking a 1080p set.

I would be surprised if microled sets are affordable within 5 years, let alone 10. Samsung is having issues with the production of the panels and the 110" model was originally supposed to come out like 6 months ago.

They're having so many issues that they dedicated to producing OLEDs that go into production early next year and use quantam dot tech to allow the screens to be brighter than LG panels.

Oct 30, 2017
This tech is still quite a ways off from real consumer market due to certain limitations like the sheer size it being made in because of the tech.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL

I don't think the market for the top end tvs is that big. Seems like the majority of people are happy to buy a sub $1000 panel because even most of them look pretty amazing on your wall.

Agreed. I would assume MicroLED will have a much faster attachment rate once the prices come down! That 792" 16K panel will be mine someday. :D

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL

Agreed. Definitely see a lot of sub $1K TVs that look great! Can't go wrong with a lot of name brand sets. :)

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to buying one of these in 6 years time, assuming they manage to figure out the manufacturing issues.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Cost will come down eventually, but the process will need to be vastly improved as the production lines aren't set to properly align the leds at smaller scales yet. That's mainly why they only tend to be used for very massive displays at this point. 4k at 120"+ is far easier to build because you have space to align all the leds than at half the size.
Does mLED have the OLED burnin issues?
All the benefits of OLED with none of the issues...well except price.