• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Samsung_Galaxy_S11_5K_render_4.jpg

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
flagship phones starting to look like tryptophobic messes

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
imagine how good phone battery life would be if we didnt keep making them razer thin

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
"How can we justify an additional 30% cost to this year's models...?" "No one liked our folding..." "What about more cameras?"

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Meh, as long as it doesn't cost more. The 3 lenses is nice because you can get passable point and shoot in dim lighting and 3 different focal lengths. I guess 5 lenses for even better low light?

Regardless, fuck the S11 I'd it removes the headphone Jack. That's actually useful.

Oct 28, 2017
S7 Edge still holding down the fort over here

Why the heck do people upgrade their phones so much? Mine calls, texts, plays music, and has GPS. What else I need?

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Yeah. Which is definitely better than the off entered punch-hole on the S10, but I prefer the OP7T style teardrop notch best. I don't need a millimeter of space above the camera.
I wonder why Samsung is going back to the punch hole. The S10 camera design seems to be off putting a lot of customers.
Tear drop design looks really slick I agree.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, as long as it doesn't cost more. The 3 lenses is nice because you can get passable point and shoot in dim lighting and 3 different focal lengths. I guess 5 lenses for even better low light?
the low light stuff is basically a combination of long exposure, clever stabilization and computational photography. Even the iPhone 11 pro can only use 2 of the 3 lenses for this. 5 lenses is really crazy. Like a bit bar who likes to switch lenses in a DSLR will carry 3 lenses for it usually - after that you're carrying multiple cameras like a wedding photographer. I will be really curious to see how they justify 5 lenses, the key will be the lowest and highest focal lengths across the 5, because I am hard pressed to think of what the fuck they are doing beyond ultra wide, wide, and telephoto

I mean the iPhone has max 4 if you include front camera + Face ID sensors (2x IR camera) so maybe it's counted that way or something. Maybe they have a stereo selfie camera

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is getting ridiculous.

Soon the back of all phones will look like a damn connect four game.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Goodness. I thought the three on the newest iPhones was bad enough. That's as far as I'm willing to go though, IF I even make it there.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
phone hardware is at a point where I don't think it's really necessary to buy flagship stuff. so they can miss me with these ugly-ass designs

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Samsung has been nailing it imo. Proper slick phones. However it's about time someone makes a proper battery: I need 10 hours SoT

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if this will be one of the first phones with the Snapdragon 865

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
the low light stuff is basically a combination of long exposure, clever stabilization and computational photography. Even the iPhone 11 pro can only use 2 of the 3 lenses for this. 5 lenses is really crazy. Like a bit bar who likes to switch lenses in a DSLR will carry 3 lenses for it usually - after that you're carrying multiple cameras like a wedding photographer. I will be really curious to see how they justify 5 lenses, the key will be the lowest and highest focal lengths across the 5, because I am hard pressed to think of what the fuck they are doing beyond ultra wide, wide, and telephoto

I mean the iPhone has max 4 if you include front camera + Face ID sensors (2x IR camera) so maybe it's counted that way or something. Maybe they have a stereo selfie camera

Low light is all about capturing light. I did a bit of astrophotography a couple of times in west Texas by getting a few dozen 30 second exposures at f/1.4 and then stacked/aligned them in photoshop because ya know the earth is rotating, and the end result is a colorful milky way disk. It's dark enough out there that with naked eyes adjusted to the dark you can see where the disk is.

So with 5 cheap ass lenses you can shotgun your way to an okay night shot, similar to astrophotography.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Low light is all about capturing light. I did a bit of astrophotography a couple of times in west Texas by getting a few dozen 30 second exposures at f/1.4 and then stacked/aligned them in photoshop because ya know the earth is rotating, and the end result is a colorful milky way disk. It's dark enough out there that with naked eyes adjusted to the dark you can see where the disk is.

So with 5 cheap ass lenses you can shotgun your way to an okay night shot, similar to astrophotography.
uh... maybe? Like if it can somehow stitch together multiple focal lengths and fix the parallax then I guess so but this seems like a crazy way to go vs just having a bigger lens, which I recognize is tough on a phone but seriously, astrophotography on a phone is crazy. Need that big glass...

I get what you are saying but I've done a lot of this, the computational stuff is fascinating but these shots are probably not landing on reddit anytime soon.Lens size is a real issue. I need a motor on my tripod just to compensate as you have no doubt used

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
uh... maybe? Like if it can somehow stitch together multiple focal lengths and fix the parallax then I guess so but this seems like a crazy way to go vs just having a bigger lens, which I recognize is tough on a phone but seriously, astrophotography on a phone is crazy. Need that big glass...

I get what you are saying but I've done a lot of this, the computational stuff is fascinating but these shots are probably not landing on reddit anytime soon.Lens size is a real issue. I need a motor on my tripod just to compensate as you have no doubt used

I did astrophotography on DSLR, for phones I'm just talking about point and shoot of people, pets, food, and the random shit people take picture of. Though the multi-exposure post processing is the same concept. No way a smartphone could capture the milky way disk...well you could but it would take thousands of shots and photoshop.