• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

I have been saying this in every thread this is talked about. Generation 1 was never going to look like that... But generation 5 or 6? Maybe. The first one out the gate was guaranteed to be a mess. This looks better than I expected when opened. But looks as BAD as I expected when closed.

Down the line this will be the one that paved the way. But noooooooooooot yet.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
I could see version specific to the medical industry being very popular, but I don't know about the mass appeal, especially with that price.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
No one who makes mass market devices actually thinks this btw. They pay people millions of dollars to determine pricing sweet spots for maximum profit without turning off consumers.

Yes, but I don't think that's the case here.

This is a showcase for future technology IMO. This is Samsung making their pitch that they are the true innovators, not Apple. That's something that they would gladly lose money for.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tf0yiwo24smhiaz9ws5o.jpg

Fuck everything, we're doing six cameras.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Watch Apple invent the foldable phone in 4 years :p

Cue pennyarcade comic

Interesting concept, completely out of my price range

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who only gets a 'new' phone every two years when my contract refreshes, I look forward to trying this out in four years. Folding out to a larger screen-size will be useful for when I have wrestling streaming on the side whilst playing games, and will also be useful for following maps etc. in walkthroughs.

Boxxy

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean... They're calling it a luxury phone.

I'd love to have it for deployments. Would save me having to bring a tablet.

Nov 7, 2017
Hmm a phone that looks like its from 2012 when folded and a tiny ipad when not, all for triple the price of my phone. Im in

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
My iPhone XS 256gb already costs $1500 in uk money.

If they can offer a finance option like the apple upgrade programs I'm pretty interested, and I've been a lifelong iPhone user..

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Man. Could have a pretty damn decent PC for that price. (That would be good for years.)

I wonder how long before that screen gets all sorts of fucked up.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Hmmmm, tempting actually. Too pricey for a new phone, but may be if I'm looking for a tablet AND a phone AND the price comes down a bit

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Reminder that the OG iPhone had a 3.5'' screen. Yeah the front screen is much smaller than we're used to, but that size is still fully functional for normal tasks.
I can afford it but I was hoping for 1500.

The actual price doesn't surprise me but the huge amount of ram feels like a mistake in an area where I felt the price could have been managed better.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Cell phones were a solution to like 10+ problems. You're right though, let's just go back to looking things up in phonebooks, pulling over to make calls from a phone booth (got any quarters?), and printing out directions from Mapquest.com. And make sure to carry a camera around with you for those Kodak Moments (TM). And a notepad to remind yourself something or get that person's info for later, add it to your rolodex at home. Oh, if you're in an emergency run to the nearest landline to call 911. Need to send your client a document to sign? Where's the fax machine? Or have a courier come overnight it to them for $40. And so on. Living in the pre-cellular/pre-smartphone era was ridiculous.
"Smart phones" solved all those problems. Cell phones did not, they solved the problem of not being able to make a phone call anywhere you go, when phone booths really were everywhere except the wilderness (and even then, they were often in national parks in their parking areas). Just like this solves the problem of not being able to keep a tablet in your pocket. Both are actual problems that are solved.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a solution without a problem, the problem is people can't carry tablets everywhere they take their phone. As you said, you need to carry a clunky bag or folio, something your laptop would go in. When I go to a restaurant, I'm not carrying my laptop bag with me, but I would still love to have access to my tablet.

I see many people just carrying iPads around with the standard case. So, I do think this is a solution looking for a problem because 7.3" isn't a whole lot to work with from a tablet perspective, to me at least.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
I'm very impressed considering this is a first gen product. I really like the hinge mechanism even if the phone is thick and the outside screen is too small. A very promising start, can't wait to see where this type of tech goes from here.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
It's a cool first gen device. Lol @ the usual salty fanboys

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to see where they take the tech in 2-4 years.

For being gen 1 of the device, it seems perfectly fine.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread will be fun to come back to in a few years. Remember when people made fun of the Note size and price for years? "won't fit in your pocket" "cant reach all sides of the screen, 2 hands needed" and on and on and on. Little did they know, in 2019 everyone has a bigger phone than the original Note including Apple.

This is the future. Unlike the Note, the Fold will absolutely replace the need for a bigger screen tablet for a lot of people. If they ever get windows on it I can see a lot of people abandoning their current laptop+phone setup (which cost them over $2000) to be all in on 1 foldable. I give it 3 years before Samsung has a 10" bi-fold model on the market. They already have the hard part invented.
this.

this.

100x this.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Exactly what I've always wanted lol. Except the price of course. And the front screen. But hopefully the next couple iterations will improve that and the price. I can wait.

They just need to add the pen to the hinge and it can replace the Note lol (with correct price ofc) :P

Hope they can get it down to wallet size.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty cool looking not gonna lie. Love how it looks all folded out. That price tho woof but I can wait till the tech is even further along.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it'd be a lot cheaper if it just folded the other way and didn't have that other display, but what do I know

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Well it's certain that this isn't really a consumer electronic. Not the average consumer anyway.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Why not a unique design on this phone to stand out from the rest of their range and the market. A nice elegant rectangular shape could've worked. Not everything needs to have rounded corners.
They really should have diffirentiated the design from the Galaxy S10. It looks like a foldable Galaxy S10.